IGNORED

Sierra Jo: Duggar Clone with Hand Dipped Strawberries

SpoonfulOSugar

I agree, @Bad Wolf Though I'm sure my son could be embarrassed by some of the crying photos I've posted. Haha. But I am not famous and don't plan to be so my photos don't have much of an audience anyway. Not like the Duggars, that's for sure. I hated the Josie blow-out footage so much. Some things just don't need to be seen/shared. I don't really need to hear about anyone's bowel movements.

I don't know about the Anna giving birth stuff. I mean, if she really was okay with it then I think it's fine. (But it's definitely not something I care to really see.)

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ok I need to know what's so dangerous about posting pictures of my kids on my locked down fb page for my 150 fb friends to see (that are mostly family and good friends).

But we live in dangerous times, dontchaknow?

In all seriousness, I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why it is dangerous to post pictures of children on the Internet. Yeah, so we know their names and what they look like. Now, how is that going to put them in danger?  Also, I really feel the need to point out that we live in decidedly non-dangerous times, in the grand scheme of things.

8 hours ago, JillyO said:

But we live in dangerous times, dontchaknow?

In all seriousness, I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why it is dangerous to post pictures of children on the Internet. Yeah, so we know their names and what they look like. Now, how is that going to put them in danger?  Also, I really feel the need to point out that we live in decidedly non-dangerous times, in the grand scheme of things.

The number of pedophiles following the big mommy bloggers on instagram, for one. I've seen more disgusting sexual comments made on pictures of their kids than I care to ever see in a thousand more lifetimes. And while it may be rare, if one of these pedophiles follows you, they know where you live, where you grocery shop and what parks you go to and your kid becomes a potential target. No doubt A LOT of those pictures are screens hotted and saved to files to lust over. Do I think we need to live our lives in total fear of this scenario? No, but it doesn't make it any less real.

I know y'all don't all love GOMI, and this woman takes disgusting to a new level, but it's real: http://gomiblog.com/tiffany-continues-to-serve-up-her-daughter-to-the-internet/

I think the issue comes more with consent and kids growing up and feeling exploited. Case in point: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/09/16/18-year-old-sues-parents-posting-baby-pictures-facebook/90479402/

These kids grow up. They don't want their lives out there and I think they are entitled to that right. 

These kids grow up. They don't want their lives out there and I think they are entitled to that right. 

The thing with kids now though is that by the time that they can be embarrassed by this stuff on social media, it's going to be at least 10 years old. I know that bullies can dig deep for material but most mom's I know aren't going to tag their child in their baby pictures when they get Facebook.
I think if you live far away from family or friends that social media can keep you in the loop about your life and kids when you have them. Sure there's always a chance that something could happen but you can't live in fear.

Why are baby pictures embarrassing? What am I missing? I've posted a lot of my own on Facebook. I wish my parents had taken more when I was little but it was before digital cameras and we didn't have a lot of money to print pictures.

As far as pedophiles...I don't doubt stuff like that happens. But there are also pedophiles staring at our kids in public places all the time too. It's a sad fact of life. Thankfully if any were to follow me to a park, I stay near my kid the whole time. (I also know that a registered sex offender lives in my neighborhood very near the park...blech.) 

I say we all do what we want to do with our own kids and as long as we aren't abusing them and whatnot...it's all good.

26 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Why are baby pictures embarrassing? What am I missing? I've posted a lot of my own on Facebook. I wish my parents had taken more when I was little but it was before digital cameras and we didn't have a lot of money to print pictures.

I've posted my own as well...the good ones. Not the ones where I am running around in a diaper with a dirty face or the in the bathtub ones. Most baby pictures are very cute! I love seeing pictures of my friend's kids, it's nice to be able to watch them grow and change, even if we're not physically close. 

28 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

As far as pedophiles...I don't doubt stuff like that happens. But there are also pedophiles staring at our kids in public places all the time too. It's a sad fact of life. Thankfully if any were to follow me to a park, I stay near my kid the whole time. (I also know that a registered sex offender lives in my neighborhood very near the park...blech.) 

I say we all do what we want to do with our own kids and as long as we aren't abusing them and whatnot...it's all good.

I looked at my Facebook year in review video yesterday. It's all grandkids. All of the video is either photos I posted, including the middle one crying because grandma wouldn't let him have candy before dinner, or their parents took of us together.  I figure in 10 years when he sees it he'll just laugh.  It's not like there aren't embarrassing pictures of us that our parents showed everyone. 

11 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Anna giving birth is another exploitation in my opinion. There are a lot more, but those were the first that came to mind. 

Cute pictures acceptable.  Children in pain or embarrassed, unacceptable.

What happened with Anna's birth photos?

1 hour ago, JabberJabber said:

What happened with Anna's birth photos?

Not the giving birth photos per say but the fact that she gave birth on the toilet and TLC filmed it. 

Maybe this is a mostly an American problem? In Europe we tend to be more relaxed about being nude. Children (and adults) being naked at beaches or in their own gardens is no rarity. 

The danger of pedophiles abusing children is thankfully becoming smaller. Especially because we raise our children to be careful and aware of their own bodies and rights. It just doesn't feel like it because we tend to hear more about it.

We can never be 100% safe. I decided rather to use and protect freedom and be positive.

That said: I believe in common sense. Would I make my instagram or blog private when some creeps start sexual comments? Hell yes! Would I post photos of my children cry, throwing a tantrum or being hurt? No! I would not have those photos because I would be busy dealing with my child. 

Edit to clarify: I didn't mean to imply child abuse is an American Problem but that the way of reacting to nakedness of children is different in terms of thinking it is strange or dangerous. 

On 12/9/2016 at 11:12 AM, Snarkle Motion said:

Or Baby it's cold outside.  Not very modest or pure! 

Sometimes that song creeps me out and I think that the song romanticizes rape culture...

7 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Oh man...I have so many crying pictures on Instagram. I know, I must be evil.

:my_biggrin: Actually, from what I read I think you are an awesome mother! 

But then, maybe your evil spirit blinded me... :darthsidious:

I can't help but snicker at the idea of people so fearful of pedophiles keeping pictures of their kids they got offline. Do people not realize that practically everyone has a smartphone with a camera and video camera?  Pedos could easily be taking pics or videos of your children any time they leave the house without your knowledge. And it's only going to become more common for cameras to be everywhere. With cheap security cameras and cheap drones, your image will be recorded all the time without even knowing it.

It just reminds me of the people who think someone is going to jump out of the bushes and snatch their kids from the front yard. Stranger abductions are SO RARE. If you want to worry about something, worry about traffic accidents. That's way more likely to hurt or kill a child than the boogie man creeper behind the bushes. 

Re the pedos on social media thing: yes, attacks by strangers can and do happen, but the real danger is people children already know and trust. Living in fear that some stranger is going to jack it to some photo of your kid on Instagram might blind you to the fact that someone who's already gained your kid's and your trust could be using that relationship and that trust to do something really terrible.

Also, I'm on the fence about posting pictures of your kids on social media. Not really from a safety standpoint, but more because I think that people should be able to make decisions about what parts of their lives they share online. I don't have a problem with taking photos of your kids and putting them online, but I also think parents should respect their children's need for privacy and and an independent identity/online presence.

41 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It reminds me of the people who think someone is going to jump out of the bushes and snatch their kids from the front yard. Stranger abductions are SO RARE. If you want to worry about something, worry about traffic accidents. That's way more likely to hurt or kill a child than the boogie man creeper behind the bushes. 

Kids are more likely to be taken by someone that they know and same thing with abuse. Sure it's good to be safe but you can't wrap your kids in bubble wrap, eventually they have to become part of this world. 

I don't have any children, but I have my facebook and instagram locked down. Both very private and only with people I know. I'm not worried about my future princes and princesses.

We,as in the whole family, had a big problem with GrandGirl going on SnapChat at the end of the school year. #1: She's 10-too young! #2- pedophiles-we have first hand experience with this problem and are very protective and proactive  in trying to keep her safe. 

I do not think children under the age of 13 need to have a social media presence that is not completely under their parents control.

Oh yeah...kids on social media is a very scary thing. I have seen way too many incidents of children getting lured by creeps on Instagram or snapchap or whatever is "in" right now.

@ClaraOswin, exactly!! GrandGirl is too young to know not to give in to peer pressure be it irl or someone pretending to be her friend on the internet. The other thing that really concerns me with her is internet body shaming/bullying. She's on the cubby side; the family is aware and is dealing with it a caring manner as we don't want to tip her the other way into an eating disorder.

On December 10, 2016 at 4:45 PM, HomeschooledHeartThrob said:

WHERE WAS THIS for Jessa and Jill?!?! What the fuck!?!?

So she is still doing weddings?

9 minutes ago, patsymae said:

So she is still doing weddings?

I believe she is still doing them, but was left out for Jinger's wedding. Sierra seems to like wedding planning and she probably makes money.

3 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I think she said she wanted to focus on coordinating and not planning weddings anymore. That picture was not from a Duggar event.

isn't coordination and planning the same thing? or is that just me 

isn't coordination and planning the same thing? or is that just me 

Maybe the coordinator doesn't get blamed for parking lot receptions in November?

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived