IGNORED

Jinger & the MetrosexualSoccerPlayerPastor (Courting 3)

SpoonfulOSugar

6 hours ago, Ralar said:

I'm not sure why people think Jeremy is wealthy because he played pro soccer for a season or two, followed by some semi-pro soccer. His 2012 and 2013 salary for the NY Red Bulls was $44,000 (but I think he was cut before the 2013 season). Not a lot of money, especially in New York. I don't know his salary when he played for AC Oulu, but I suspect it wasn't any more than his Red Bulls salary.

Yeah, from what I've gathered, only a very, very tiny proportion of athletes make really good money, and most of that money comes from endorsements and media appearances. For instance, there was a story a while back about an Olympic weightlifter who was on welfare despite being one of the best weightlifters in the world; contrast that with competitive strongman/fitness model/actor Hafthor Bjornsson (The Mountain on Game of Thrones), who, if his Instagram is anything to go by, lives a very nice lifestyle in Iceland and makes tons of money from appearing on Game of Thrones and endorsing various fitness products, plus his own line of t-shirts. If you want to make money in sports, you have to be a businessperson on top of being good at throwing stuff, picking stuff up, running, or not drowning. Though if you don't have much business acumen, take heart in the fact that if you're good enough at those things, you can rape people all you want and get away with it.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know feet/inches but I'm about 165cm and my boyfriend is 'only' 4 or 5cm taller than me and people have asked me before why I would 'go for' such a short guy. Um because he's smart/sweet/hot/funny/a mean cook/is patient/isn't one of those dudes ashamed to go and buy me tampons if I need them/has tons of other amazing qualities? And I'm supposed to care he doesn't tower over me?

I say he's a perfect height, no one has to get a neck cramp to kiss anyone and I can easily fit us both in selfies if I want to take one. AND he gives me an excuse not to wear high heels as well. Not that MrLBE has a Napoleon complex or anything and would be a pissy manchild if I was taller, but as a hater of high heels, I will use ANY excuse to justify wearing flats. 

I just asked how tall he was. He is 169cm but his license says 171cm because he was wearing dress shoes that add about 2cm of height the day he went to get an Australian license (he is French) and he didn't stop them writing it down as 171 because he thought it 'sounded better'.

Men. 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Yeah, from what I've gathered, only a very, very tiny proportion of athletes make really good money, and most of that money comes from endorsements and media appearances. For instance, there was a story a while back about an Olympic weightlifter who was on welfare despite being one of the best weightlifters in the world; contrast that with competitive strongman/fitness model/actor Hafthor Bjornsson (The Mountain on Game of Thrones), who, if his Instagram is anything to go by, lives a very nice lifestyle in Iceland and makes tons of money from appearing on Game of Thrones and endorsing various fitness products, plus his own line of t-shirts. If you want to make money in sports, you have to be a businessperson on top of being good at throwing stuff, picking stuff up, running, or not drowning. Though if you don't have much business acumen, take heart in the fact that if you're good enough at those things, you can rape people all you want and get away with it.

If you play in the big four - NHL, NFL, NBA or MLB - all of the players there have a minimum or base salary. The base salary in the NHL is 525,000$ and that's low compared to the other three. Now it gets complicated with two way contracts (same thing happens in the MLB), because a guy who plays 40 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs and another 40 with the Toronto Marlies, he would be paid for 40 games at his NHL salary (525,000$) and 40 games at his AHL salary, which could be as low as 36K a year.

Then you have amature athletes - they mainly compete in Olympic Sports. They pay for their own training - unless they are a scheduled athlete. What scheduled or carded athletes make per month, depends on their carding, In Canada, the most an athlete gets is 1500$ per month. That is to cover all of their training and living expenses.

So basically elite athletes who are going to the Olympics for our country pay for their own training. Hell, when my friend Kyle competed in the Olympics in Athens, his parents took out a mortgage on their house (it had been paid off) so that they could afford to go watch him compete.

The US has far better spending and National Multi-Sport training venues (the USOTC) and athletes do get more funding and support. Sponsorships and professional tours (for sports like Gymnastics, Figure Skating) are where the money is for most of these athletes. 

17 minutes ago, devoe364 said:

So basically elite athletes who are going to the Olympics for our country pay for their own training. Hell, when my friend Kyle competed in the Olympics in Athens, his parents took out a mortgage on their house (it had been paid off) so that they could afford to go watch him compete.

The US has far better spending and National Multi-Sport training venues (the USOTC) and athletes do get more funding and support. Sponsorships and professional tours (for sports like Gymnastics, Figure Skating) are where the money is for most of these athletes. 

The main problem for gymnasts is that they generally have to make the decision between whether to 'go pro' and do the post Olympic tours or whether to forgo them (or just do them 'for fun' and just only have their food/lodging/travel costs paid for) to keep their NCAA eligibility and receive a full rude to college. Sometimes the money they stand to make is less than the value of the scholarship. I think it is really only the gold medalists that make more than the cost of a 4 year degree anyway. It is really only worth giving up the eligibility if you win gold and have a lot of opportunities or you didn't intend to study at college anyway.

I did gymnastics up to junior elite level before injured myself and had to quit and it is definitely not a sport you do because it will make you rich (although I think Simone Biles might just get rich if she does what she is capable of in Rio. She can very easily walk away with 5 golds if she doesn't fall off anything), you do it for the love of it. 

I have a friend who made the Olympics in 2004 and a famous footballer paid for 2 return plane tickets for her parents after hearing they couldn't afford to go watch her which was really cool. 

On 6/24/2016 at 3:37 PM, sophie10130 said:

HOOOO BUDDY.

It's like a fuckboi but for Jesus, y'all.

The one kid I'm thinking of was dumb as a sack of hair and he was on the soccer team at the high school. He stood up at an awards ceremony and this was his speech: "I just thank God every day I play soccer. You know, I used to be a Catholic but now I'm happy to say I'm a Christian *pause for clapping* I thank God for every goal we score and I know He is proud of us and He's the reason why we made it to the finals this year. He helped out out with every score and we made sure to play in His glory. We asked Him to send us all the way to the finals and this year He granted our prayers!" 

They did a lot of thinly veiled humblebragging. And played a lot of sports and did sportsy manly things like wrestling for the girls to fawn over them. Lots of super violent kickball and capture the flag. They did this weird pressure point thing that made me so mad I started screaming at all of them and they just laughed in my face and called me crazy. They found online the different pressure points and they would take turns pressing them until the other person said stop or they passed out. You know, for the girls.

They were very serious about not giving away heart pieces though. So instead they just strung along 2 or 3 girls at a time and promised each of them that once they got their "heart right" they would settle down with them, but right now they were too sinful to be in a good relationship. I saw that happen a lot. They had accountability partners but I think what that mostly was was just them talking about the girls they thought they were hot. But couched in religious rhetoric. "Susie is making me have lustful thoughts." "Dude I know. Did you see those shorts she was wearing? Someone needs to tell her she is making her brothers in Christ stumble." That is pure speculation though. But, to me, not completely outside the realm of possibility.

So, the other team had heathens who pray to idols?

What happen to their prayers for a good game? 

23 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

The main problem for gymnasts is that they generally have to make the decision between whether to 'go pro' and do the post Olympic tours or whether to forgo them (or just do them 'for fun' and just only have their food/lodging/travel costs paid for) to keep their NCAA eligibility and receive a full rude to college. Sometimes the money they stand to make is less than the value of the scholarship. I think it is really only the gold medalists that make more than the cost of a 4 year degree anyway. It is really only worth giving up the eligibility if you win gold and have a lot of opportunities or you didn't intend to study at college anyway.

I did gymnastics up to junior elite level before injured myself and had to quit and it is definitely not a sport you do because it will make you rich (although I think Simone Biles might just get rich if she does what she is capable of in Rio. She can very easily walk away with 5 golds if she doesn't fall off anything), you do it for the love of it. 

I have a friend who made the Olympics in 2004 and a famous footballer paid for 2 return plane tickets for her parents after hearing they couldn't afford to go watch her which was really cool. 

In Canada, they can lose their monthly carding allowance if they go to the US for school. Joel Gagnon (I was one of his very first coaches) has a partial scolarship to the University of Minnesota and is one of their captains. He hopes to attend the Olympics in 2020. His parents still pay for a large part of his education and training, although during school training costs are covered by the school.

NCAA eligibility is huge for gymnasts in the states. Most Canadian gymnasts do not go on those kind of tours for the same reason - they would like the opportunity to get an education out of their training as well. Of course, a lot of countries give dollar amount to athletes for their medal wins. Canada started the Program of Excellence in advance of the Vancouver Olympics, an a gold medal will earn you 20K now. I think its 25K in the US.

My friend Kyle won a gold medal on floor in Athens, he got nothing and for a long time, it was kept in a bag in his car. I think his wife has him better trained now. As mentioned, his parents had to take a mortgage out to go watch him compete. However, the money for him came from opening his own gym. 

6 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I don't know feet/inches but I'm about 165cm and my boyfriend is 'only' 4 or 5cm taller than me and people have asked me before why I would 'go for' such a short guy. Um because he's smart/sweet/hot/funny/a mean cook/is patient/isn't one of those dudes ashamed to go and buy me tampons if I need them/has tons of other amazing qualities? And I'm supposed to care he doesn't tower over me?

I say he's a perfect height, no one has to get a neck cramp to kiss anyone and I can easily fit us both in selfies if I want to take one. AND he gives me an excuse not to wear high heels as well. Not that MrLBE has a Napoleon complex or anything and would be a pissy manchild if I was taller, but as a hater of high heels, I will use ANY excuse to justify wearing flats. 

I don't understand the term Napoleon complex since Napoleon wasn't short. He was 5'7" I believe which was average height for France back then.

Two thoughts on Jinger's courtship:

1.) I am annoyed but not surprised that just about any major news from the Duggars is going to be either a courtship or a pregnancy. Of course Jinger is not going to photography school or starting a business. No, it has to be either marriage or babies. It's sad to me how narrow the lives of the Duggars are. Obviously there's nothing wrong with marriage or babies... most people allow themselves some other interests in addition, though, but the Duggars seem completely obsessed with those two aspects of life and never seem to prioritize anything else.

2.) I simply do not believe that any guy is going to marry into the Duggar family and help his wife move in a less fundie direction given the current Duggar lifestyle. You don't meet a Duggar girl by chance and fall for her interests and personality first, because the Duggars are so sheltered from everyone else. It's not like they were in a college class together or met at the gym - you have to seek out a Duggar, and the Duggars are not secretive about the strictness of their beliefs. They're public figures who are known for their fundamentalism. You're not going to actively seek out a hyperconservative woman from a hyperconservative family because you want to live a more moderate life - you're going to seek her out because hyperconservatism appeals to you in some way. I do think it's possible (likely, even) that some of the Duggar kiddults are gradually going to move away from strict fundamentalism, but I think it's going to happen through a maturation process, not through marriage to a knight in shining armor coming to rescue them.

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don't understand the term Napoleon complex since Napoleon wasn't short. He was 5'7" I believe which was average height for France back then.

They used to think he was around 5'2", though, and he usually hung around the Imperial Guard, who were taller than average.

We were on vacation the past two weeks, and I saw this pop up while we were gone. I didn't really read about it too much, or come on here, because I was too busy "vacationing". We got home at 5:30pm yesterday, and walked in to an 83 degree house, because our a/c decided to stop working, I ran to my mommy's house, since she had a/c (and to pick up our dog, but it was really for the a/c). Since this is page 19 of part 3, I can't find it in myself, to go through all of the pages, so I wall just start from here...lol.

My immediate thought, when I read about this, was "this is a season 2 Counting On courtship". The one thing the Duggars excel at, in addition to grifting, is being utterly transparent when it comes to their show. I don't think anyone on here, didn't see something like this, coming from a mile away. 

Seeing as how things played out with Derick and Ben (turning into mini JB's), I am not putting any lofty, escape expectations on this couple, because I am a firm believer in the "like attracts like" thing, especially when it comes to the Duggars and their brand of crazy. That just means that I think his religious beliefs/etc, are probably very similar to the Duggars religious beliefs/etc. 

4 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I just asked how tall he was. He is 169cm but his license says 171cm because he was wearing dress shoes that add about 2cm of height the day he went to get an Australian license (he is French) and he didn't stop them writing it down as 171 because he thought it 'sounded better'.

Men. 

Well... my passport says 160m because of my shoes. I wanted it so bad to be over my real size of 158cm. Now I regret it a bit. (My self esteem got a lot better in the last years...) First & only boyfriend was 185m I think. No problem at all. :)

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Two thoughts on Jinger's courtship:

1.) I am annoyed but not surprised that just about any major news from the Duggars is going to be either a courtship or a pregnancy. Of course Jinger is not going to photography school or starting a business. No, it has to be either marriage or babies. It's sad to me how narrow the lives of the Duggars are. Obviously there's nothing wrong with marriage or babies... most people allow themselves some other interests in addition, though, but the Duggars seem completely obsessed with those two aspects of life and never seem to prioritize anything else.

2.) I simply do not believe that any guy is going to marry into the Duggar family and help his wife move in a less fundie direction given the current Duggar lifestyle. You don't meet a Duggar girl by chance and fall for her interests and personality first, because the Duggars are so sheltered from everyone else. It's not like they were in a college class together or met at the gym - you have to seek out a Duggar, and the Duggars are not secretive about the strictness of their beliefs. They're public figures who are known for their fundamentalism. You're not going to actively seek out a hyperconservative woman from a hyperconservative family because you want to live a more moderate life - you're going to seek her out because hyperconservatism appeals to you in some way. I do think it's possible (likely, even) that some of the Duggar kiddults are gradually going to move away from strict fundamentalism, but I think it's going to happen through a maturation process, not through marriage to a knight in shining armor coming to rescue them.

I do not think it's marriage or babies. I think it's marriage AND babies, or living at home with mommy and daddy, doing all the jobs that they refuse to do themselves, and having an accountability buddy 100% of the time.

It's like prison.

Really Jill has the best life and she lives in a developing nation.

Jessa is leading Jana's life with the ability to have sex and with fewer kids to attend. She is still under JBs umbrella and control. Same with Anna and Josh. 

3 hours ago, MoonFace said:

So, the other team had heathens who pray to idols?

What happen to their prayers for a good game? 

I guess they weren't righteous enough or didn't pray hard enough! 

I really don't know. It's such an arrogant way of thinking to me. I never understood it, even when I was in it.

Also, back to why we haven't seen a boy courtship. Remember that the dudes have to go seek out the father of the girl they like and ask permission. They can't just wait around like the girls.

I also wonder if JB and Michelle have a say in that more than we know. Say, if John David goes up to them and says he's praying about a girl who is kind of shy and wouldn't lend much to the Duggar brand, would they say "keep praying" and essentially shut him down?

One more note, I think JD is the only one of age at this moment in time who could have a courtship with someone who isn't really a fame-grabber. I could see him courting someone privately and I don't think it would be unusual for them not to be shown much in the show since JD wasn't really shown much. Sure, they would have their courtship story, but I think it would feel natural if they mostly took a backseat on the show.

1 hour ago, cathgrl1 said:

They used to think he was around 5'2", though, and he usually hung around the Imperial Guard, who were taller than average.

You're right, historians used to believe that. But if I recall correctly that was actually a misunderstanding. Measurements in Europe weren't standardized during Napoleon's time. His measurements in French inches made him sound small in English inches. The British took it and ran with it.

Then he tried to conquer most of Europe, and became the reason for standardized measurements in most of Europe. Today, historians are fairly certain that he was around 1690 cm tall, which was quite tall for the time, actually.

Napoleon being a diminutive size was really just propaganda, and a misunderstanding. But I'm not going to try measuring his mortal remains (whatever may be left) to prove that. Because that would get me into major legal troubles in France, "Oh, I'm just desecrating a grave to make a point on an internet forum" is probably not going to go down well with the French police. :)

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it is one of those things that has just become a figure of speech nowadays? 

58 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

I also wonder if JB and Michelle have a say in that more than we know. Say, if John David goes up to them and says he's praying about a girl who is kind of shy and wouldn't lend much to the Duggar brand, would they say "keep praying" and essentially shut him down?

I've always been under the impression that the guy needs to get the OK of his parents before contacting the other dad.  Guy prays, dad prays, both need to get "green lights" (especially dad) before the other dad is contacted.  And if the guy's parents just don't like the girl, or her family, or whatever, then I expect a "no" would be detected from the Lord.

The only male courtship I could see happening soon is JD.  The others are still too young. I know there are courtship or getting to know each other rumors for Joe and Carlin but he's just 21 which is still quite young for a guy, even in their lifestyle.  

On 6/26/2016 at 2:45 PM, anotherone said:

"Buckle up for Safety."  But he's taking the picture from the driver's side while moving....

He has to be.  He's crossing the I-40 bridge between Memphis and West Memphis, Arkansas, and unless traffic is causing him to be stopped, he has to be moving because that sign is in the midpoint of the bridge.

I'm annoyed at Lawson's post. He knows it's going to cause speculation. I get the feeling he loves fucking with everyone. It strokes his enormous ego.

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

The only male courtship I could see happening soon is JD.  The others are still too young. I know there are courtship or getting to know each other rumors for Joe and Carlin but he's just 21 which is still quite young for a guy, even in their lifestyle.  

Josiah is young and was already in a (failed) courtship so you never know with these weirdos.

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm annoyed at Lawson's post. He knows it's going to cause speculation. I get the feeling he loves fucking with everyone. It strokes his enormous ego.

I'm starting to get that vibe from him. Though maybe his cryptic tweet on the day the courtship was announced about time will tell meant that time will show us that he actually had a thing for Joy and not Jinger?

48 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I'm starting to get that vibe from him. Though maybe his cryptic tweet on the day the courtship was announced about time will tell meant that time will show us that he actually had a thing for Joy and not Jinger?

Let's say that somehow it was Joy and Lawson... I think they'd hold out for a while. She has only just graduated from the infamous Duggar Academy! She seems soo young. It's probably just Lawson causing speculation on purpose butt during the pre-chat before their show, Carlin did say Lawson or Tori would get married next.

But Joy is only 18/19 y.o. He's 23. Well, not that far apart in years but I still feel like he'd be robbing the cradle.

3 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

But Joy is only 18/19 y.o. He's 23. Well, not that far apart in years but I still feel like he'd be robbing the cradle.

5 year difference between Joy and Lawson vs 7 year difference between JinJer. Though I think Joy is still very young, so I can't imagine they'd rush a courtship. Unless they have a prolonged courtship like Michael and Brandon?

• SpoonfulOSugar locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived