IGNORED

Let the JinJer Wedding Planning Begin!

Kaylo

Someone I knew did GoFundMe (or similar) for their house downpayment, and heard of someone doing it for their honeymoon or something. Blah.

I asked for no gifts, since we lived together already and were older.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

Someone I knew did GoFundMe (or similar) for their house downpayment, and heard of someone doing it for their honeymoon or something. Blah.

That's it! I'm starting a GFM for my retirement. Just kidding, as I am not a grifter, but seriously, GFMs have gotten out of control. Don't people have pride anymore? Gah

The one new thing I did see was basically an itemized list of a honeymoon.

So there's a slot for airfare, dinner each night, drinks each night, and fun things like couple's massage, snorkeling, guided hike, or whatever and then you fill in how much you want to donate and then the bride and groom gets a list like "Aunt Kathy bought you dinner at Such and Such." and then you take a picture of you eating dinner and send it to Aunt Kathy with the thank you card.

It's interesting. With people getting married later and later I think it looks like a moneygrab since everyone already has a set of dishes and silverware and a toaster and blender and people are just getting money anyway.

Sending good wishes for upcoming weddings. They are so stressful, I know! If I ever DO get married, everything's going to depend on the costs. If I have enough to do it the way I want, I will. If not? Vegas. My grandparents ran off to a town about half an hour away and eloped in secret (they got caught... one of grandpa's brothers did the same thing on the same day and they ran into each other!) so I could consider it a family tradition.

13 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Except in cases where the couple organizes the event themselves, my understanding has always been that the family of the bride give the reception they (or their daughter) want and the family of the groom hosts a dinner after the wedding rehearsal. The family of the groom can't tell the bride's family what to do about the reception unless they offer to pay.  The family of the bride can't tell the groom's family what to do about the rehearsal dinner unless they offer to pay.

This is my understanding of how things are SUPPOSED to work, as well. It's not how they always do, however. My sister's hubby had very specific requests (about food) for the reception. It was almost all homemade, but due to his requests there were a TON of leftovers. It was a very nice simple reception, however.

As for the rehearsal "dinner"? Pay-your-own-way at a restaurant after the rehearsal. His mother - a devout Jehovah's Witness - had a breakdown about even coming into the (Baptist) church parking lot a few days before, refused to light the unity candle (his Catholic grandma was happy to take her place), and then showed up late for the rehearsal (in the church) wearing a dirty Corona T-shirt and cutoff shorts. We gave up on them early on and just smiled and thanked them for coming. Their only help with the reception was to run off with some of the decorations (all hand made by us) afterward.

I wish everyone yet to be married a happy wedding that goes more smoothly than my sister's did. Let the little things slide, and invest in a good photographer if you can afford to. The photos and memories will be the only thing left in 10 years.

3 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Sending good wishes for upcoming weddings. They are so stressful, I know! If I ever DO get married, everything's going to depend on the costs. If I have enough to do it the way I want, I will. If not? Vegas. My grandparents ran off to a town about half an hour away and eloped in secret (they got caught... one of grandpa's brothers did the same thing on the same day and they ran into each other!) so I could consider it a family tradition.

This is my understanding of how things are SUPPOSED to work, as well. It's not how they always do, however. My sister's hubby had very specific requests (about food) for the reception. It was almost all homemade, but due to his requests there were a TON of leftovers. It was a very nice simple reception, however.

As for the rehearsal "dinner"? Pay-your-own-way at a restaurant after the rehearsal. His mother - a devout Jehovah's Witness - had a breakdown about even coming into the (Baptist) church parking lot a few days before, refused to light the unity candle (his Catholic grandma was happy to take her place), and then showed up late for the rehearsal (in the church) wearing a dirty Corona T-shirt and cutoff shorts. We gave up on them early on and just smiled and thanked them for coming. Their only help with the reception was to run off with some of the decorations (all hand made by us) afterward.

I wish everyone yet to be married a happy wedding that goes more smoothly than my sister's did. Let the little things slide, and invest in a good photographer if you can afford to. The photos and memories will be the only thing left in 10 years.

Weddings are always complicated.  I think requests by bride or groom for food or entertainment should, within reason, be met. (After all, it is their wedding.). To be sure, one hopes they will be reasonable.  (And if they are too unreasonable, you tell them so politely and try to reach a compromise.  Also, iif one side or the other of the family doesn't "come through," then you work around it.   Too bad about your sis and her mil, but you all did what should be done: you didn't let her ruin the wedding or the rehearsal. 

My snarking is about people who try to control what others do, especially when the others are paying.

I will tell you a secret:my_heart:

I am planning än engagement in 12 days and a wedding in September 2017. The budget is $8'000 including a 10 day honeymoon in Scotland. I've bought my dress already for £126 (and my budget for a dress is $750) and I love it :my_biggrin:.

This planned engagement that we have agreed on has major advantages! We have had the plans as our secret for 3 months and have been able to plan without disruptions. We have had time to be happy by ourselves.

We are paying by ourselves, as the tradition is where we live. It will be diy and perfect for us and our finances!

My dress! It is quite modest because that's how I like it!

bhsweddingdress.jpg

And forJinger. I would love if she went classic (real, actual princess classic)

d59a8ede-20c8-4173-93a1-dcbec7813f68.jpg

In order of apperance: princess Catherine (UK), Crown Princess Mette-Marit (Norway), Charlene (Monaco), Crown Princess Victoria (Sweden), Princess Sofia (Sweden).

Different degrees of modesty, sleeves, ni cleavage, shoulders and so on. 

So my picks for Jinger are in löner with this.modest-wedding-dresses-5-08292015-km1.jpgmodest-wedding-dresses-37-08292015-ky.jpg

And for fun 

modest-wedding-dresses-43-08292015-ky.jpg

Also found this article about modest weddings http://www.modwedding.com/2015/08/modest-wedding-dresses-with-gorgeous-details/

Weddings have gone from celebrations of love to performances.  And don't get me started on the clapping after the pastor introduces the new couple.  I think this is in poor taste.  It's not a performance.

Just my old fashioned opinion...one that doesn't include solicitations for money to pay the caterer, bride and groom stuffing each others faces with wedding cake, guests in jeans and t-shirts or tricked out honeymoon cars.   

a28a63fe9893993ead421bdabd294476.jpg

She could also wear this monstruosity, if we are talking about royal weddings :pb_lol:

(With a modesty pannel of course, and I have a feeling that it would actually make that dress better)

16 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

a28a63fe9893993ead421bdabd294476.jpg

She could also wear this monstruosity, if we are talking about royal weddings :pb_lol:

(With a modesty pannel of course, and I have a feeling that it would actually make that dress better)

i didn't choose that for a reason :56247958035f1_32(18):

I love all of these modest dresses.......it gives a chance for lace and ornamentation and a lot more style than just a strapless, which to me is just same same for everyone. 

I enjoy looking at them and really, when do you get the chance to wear something that "ornamental" again in your life. You can wear a strapless dress as a summer sundress.

These dresses are beautiful. And we do know Jinger will wear a modest gown from somewhere. 

Maybe she will be picking it out soon.........

Crown Princess Mette-Marit's dress 4eva.

Also, I don't know how the Duggars feel about illusion sleeves/necklines, but the wedding dress from the live-action Cinderella movie is gorgeous:

658f911e937ad307c473382717b1eed3.jpg

I almost cried when i saw the wedding dress on cinderella. It's the prettiest dress ever. The dress lily james wore to the premiere is not far behind. 

On 6/26/2016 at 1:26 AM, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Thank you,  @EmCatlyn.  I'm just keeping my mouth shut about everything!

For the record, my son is the one who suggested the jazz combo for 3 or 4 songs. He wanted to sit in on some percussion because it's fun. And he thought people would enjoy a little Sinatra, etc. 

[He also had the idea for the mock tails and coffee bar, so I just worked out details to help him get one thing he wanted. And yes, I was writing that check.  ... all moot ...]

I just had an email from him about the cost of the rehearsal dinner. He wants to talk tomorrow to see if we can pare it down a bit. I'm seriously at a point where I don't care anymore. I'm ready to call Little Caesars, buy some 2 liters, and be done. 

Your ideas sounded just lovely.

Took me a while, but I think I have found the perfect bridesmaids' dresses. What with the fur trim and all, they would be just right for that December wedding, no?

image.jpeg

what are the fundie standards for having a married woman be your maid of honor? Because besides Jessa, I can't imagine who else could be

22 minutes ago, Pandora Spocks said:

Took me a while, but I think I have found the perfect bridesmaids' dresses. What with the fur trim and all, they would be just right for that December wedding, no?

image.jpeg

Nopety nope. Too much skin. That's the wedding night outfit

52 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Nopety nope. Too much skin. That's the wedding night outfit

Spose you're right. Satin and purple screams harlotry, right? 

1 hour ago, habert said:

what are the fundie standards for having a married woman be your maid of honor? Because besides Jessa, I can't imagine who else could be

I think it would be fine. Kelly Bates was Michael's.

2 hours ago, Pandora Spocks said:

image.jpeg

Reminds me of the humongous dresses that I've seen on those Gypsy wedding/coming-of-age shows. Most of those dresses were gorgeous, I'll admit, but way beyond what I'd personally wear. Go for it, I say!  :chi-yes:

Although I can see little differences in the sleeve, material and details,  Princess Charlene (Monaco) and Crown Princess Victoria (Sweden) almost had the same dress. 

Jessa will probably pick out Jinger's dress for her by telling her straight out which one she likes the best and Jinger will just say, "Thank you.  Without you I am so unworthy."  <snerk>

20 hours ago, Guilty pleasure said:

I will tell you a secret:my_heart:

I am planning än engagement in 12 days and a wedding in September 2017. The budget is $8'000 including a 10 day honeymoon in Scotland. I've bought my dress already for £126 (and my budget for a dress is $750) and I love it :my_biggrin:.

This planned engagement that we have agreed on has major advantages! We have had the plans as our secret for 3 months and have been able to plan without disruptions. We have had time to be happy by ourselves.

We are paying by ourselves, as the tradition is where we live. It will be diy and perfect for us and our finances!

My dress! It is quite modest because that's how I like it!

bhsweddingdress.jpg

That is lovely. Very much my taste as well. Congratulations!

3 hours ago, Pandora Spocks said:

image.jpeg

OMG, this reminds me of of old wedding pics from my mom's oldest sister, her dresses were red velvet tea length w/ white fur trim on top and bottom and they carried red velvet and white fur trimmed muffs. I believe she  married in December of 1959 or 1960. 

In terms of royal winter wedding dresses, there are quite a few. For examples, this is one of my favorite royal fashion blogs, doing a post on winter dresses: http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/12/wedding-wednesday-favorite-winter.html

As for bridesmaids dresses, now King Williem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands had some very wintery ones. As did the now King Phillipe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/358810295292803267/

http://www.gettyimages.com/pictures/the-wedding-of-prince-philippe-of-belgium-and-miss-mathilde-news-photo-52113214

5 hours ago, Pandora Spocks said:

image.jpeg

Instead of a pink poodle and a black and white penguin on each side, they could have flamingoes.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived