IGNORED

Let the JinJer Wedding Planning Begin!

Kaylo

On 7/3/2016 at 10:41 PM, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Ohmygawd.  My poor son -- he's having to deal with fundie lunatics in his almost-here wedding.  Stupid, stupid rules.  

Like:  bride is now prohibited from wearing her strapless gown without a fugly jacket; only "Christian" music can be played over the PA system (never mind an instrumental soundtrack without words ...); my daughter's tattoos must be covered; bridesmaid dresses cannot be above the knee; no drinking or dancing allowed; and eleventy other dumb-ass things.

QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY MY IDIOT FUNDIE MOTHER (in response):

"God wants us to be robots for Him."   Huh????  Holy hell.  :angry-screaming:

The pastor that married us tried to tell my parents, who were footing the bill for the wedding and reception, a reception mind you that was at a hotel, NOT  in any church not in their lobby/parking/lot banquet area but a hotel 15 minutes away. He said he wouldn't marry us if we served alcohol at the reception. Umm fine we'll have someone else do it, because even though hubby & I didn't drink my family did. It wasn't our choice really and we didn't flipping care. We weren't told no strapless dresses or dresses below the knee, but it wouldn't have been as issue since I had cap sleeves and a "modest" neckline, I HATE how big my boobs are and don't like massive amounts of cleavage showing so I wore a high neck line because other wise I would have been tits galore in any dress I wore, and the bridesmaids dress also had t-shirt length sleeves and a modified sweetheart neckline, and were floor length. we were also heathens cause we lived together.  The SHAME!  

3 other couples in our church got married that same month and we only groused about our heathen reception, the other 3 had theirs at the church and just had cake & punch receptions. And guess what of the 4 couples that married Hubby and I are the only ones still married, we celebrate 20 years in September. So :playful2: on them!! 

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/26/2016 at 11:47 AM, EmCatlyn said:

I agree that a good goal for the guest, especially when giving money, is to help off-set the price of the wedding by "covering the plate."  However, I feel that it is absolutely WRONG for the bride and groom (or her parents) TO EXPECT guests to pay for their food.   If you (guest) have the money, then you should estimate what your "plate" cost and contribute accordingly.  If you don't have the money and the couple or family are close to you, then your presence and a token of your good wishes is all that is needed.  

As you suggest, when a person throws a party, that person is responsible for the costs.

I think it is tacky to tell your friends what the meal costs, and even tackier to include the information on the invitation.   This is to turn an exchange of courtesies and friendship to a commercial transaction.

Years ago, Mr. No and I were invited to the large and very fancy wedding of his coworker.   We were going through some tough financial times at that time and couldn't afford a gift, things were very tight.  We considered not going  because of this, but declining would have actually caused some issues at work.  Mr. No was a good work buddy of this coworker who would have been deeply hurt so we went.  We did not give a gift, we were that broke, it was enough just to drive to the downtown hotel where the reception was being held and pay for the valet parking.  Incidentally, the coworker didn't care that we didn't give a gift, but she would have certainly noted if we didn't attend.    

Agree that estimating the plate cost can be a good basis on how much to give if that's what you want to do and have the money, but this business of expecting guests to "pay" for something they are being invited to, just....no.   It's tacky and it turns a happy occasion that one has been invited to share, into a transaction, some of kind of "favor" that has to be returned.      

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:16 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

That bit bugged me even more than the floating door. If that's heaven, why don't the servants and engineers (who, by the way, all died because they stayed on the sinking ship to keep the electricity going as long as possible) get to go be in heaven with their families and loved ones? Why do they have to stay and be Rose's eternal slaves forever on Heaven-Titanic? That's some Davy Jones-ass shit right there.

Also, if you think about it, Titanic is just a movie about a really old lady talking about the time she banged a random guy on a cruise ship

Best summary of Titanic I've ever read. :56247958035f1_32(18):

My husband kept asking me at the time if I wanted to go to see Titanic.

I always answered "Oh, ....how does it end?". 

I just couldn't. 

David's Bridal has a new line of modest gowns.... A few look boho enough for JInger

On 7/4/2016 at 0:40 PM, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Wowza. That low cost just boggles my mind.

Great work there, @EmCatlyn!

Your look at costs show they can have a frugal wedding, but they spent how much on a bunch of stupid flamingoes for a gender anounce???

43 minutes ago, anotherone said:

Your look at costs show they can have a frugal wedding, but they spent how much on a bunch of stupid flamingoes for a gender anounce???

I bet TLC paid for those

3 hours ago, anotherone said:

I happened to be cycling this morning and passed a home that had probably 20+ flamingos in their front yard. Of course my first thought was that Sierra had been there and then was kicking myself for not having my phone with me to snap some pictures. I will go back.

We had a couple of flamingoes on sticks and a light-up palm tree that we always set up outside our camper... It's sometimes good to be a little tacky.

5 hours ago, paulypepper said:

I happened to be cycling this morning and passed a home that had probably 20+ flamingos in their front yard. Of course my first thought was that Sierra had been there and then was kicking myself for not having my phone with me to snap some pictures. I will go back.

Bet there are 25 or 30 and it's a birthday. My friends cut out 40 pictures of cows and taped them all over my cubical at work on my 40th. I have seen companies that do the 40 vultures or what ever on peoples lawns. 

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

We had a couple of flamingoes on sticks and a light-up palm tree that we always set up outside our camper... It's sometimes good to be a little tacky.

I LOVE Flamingoes. I have more than a few flamingo items :P

15 hours ago, anotherone said:

As has been noted, TLC probably paid for the flamingoes.  

And we don't really know what kind of budget JB would have for Jinger's wedding.  Maybe TLC would pay.  

My main point was that although weddings can be very expensive, the Duggars, with their many "willing hands" could actually have a "cheap" wedding and still offer a token spread for 1000 guests.  

Why they wouldn't want to spend a little more and treat guests decently is not clear to me.  I mean, even if TLC doesn't pay for the wedding,  the wedding is earning the Duggars money.

9 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

My main point was that although weddings can be very expensive, the Duggars, with their many "willing hands" could actually have a "cheap" wedding and still offer a token spread for 1000 guests.  

Why they wouldn't want to spend a little more and treat guests decently is not clear to me.  I mean, even if TLC doesn't pay for the wedding,  the wedding is earning the Duggars money.

I've never understood this about the Duggars. I've been invited to weddings where the reception was cake, nuts, and punch. That's completely acceptable where I come from. But I've NEVER been to a wedding reception held in a parking lot in November, and if I were, I'd be insulted. I'd rather not have been invited than been invited to THAT. That is not a celebration. That is a thumbing of the nose. "We got you and your gifts here, time to go, see ya!"

ETA: Nope, not ready to stop. At NONE of their receptions have I seen the bride and groom mingling with the crowd, thanking them for coming to their "special day". Nor have I seen a receiving  line. To me, it's the minimum of wedding courtesy to have a receiving line. Surely they're not that stupid. They MUST know that if they invite people, they should THANK THEM FOR COMING.

I did not follow the Duggars when they were marrying off Jill and Jessa, so all I know about their weddings is what you all discuss here.  A major part of the problem with Duggar weddings may be that Michelle is totally checked out.  If inexperienced girls and a tight-wad father are left to plan a wedding, you can expect problems.  As for Sierra, she comes across as another inexperienced girl.  I have to wonder why TLC didn't help out with the wedding planning, just as they stepped in and finished the TTH, furnished and decorated it.   Was it because TLC thought it would be more interesting to let the Duggars make their own mess?

As far as reception lines go, I think if you have fewer than 200 guests you don't need them.  I have been at a few formal wedding dinners where you came in and were seated and then after the toast and cutting the cake, while everyone was dessert, the bride and groom stopped by each table to chat and thank people for coming, etc..   However, I agree completely that the bride and groom and their family need to thank people for coming.

On June 25, 2016 at 0:02 PM, Pandora Spocks said:

Well, the good news is that you, too, can be the proud owner of one of these snazzy ensembles. I cringe to report that this business is based in Wisconsin, but I do have to own the fact that my otherwise much loved state is a hotbed of raging lunatics and religious whackos. Keeps things interesting. But I digress. Simply visit http://www.thekingsdaughters.com/ladiesdresses.html and you can be wearing one of these custom gowns guaranteed to draw attention to your blessed countenance. At the low, low price of $70, even Kim Jong Boobie would approve of you buying two. One to wear and one to wash, of course. No need to be frivolous.  There are also plenty of modest and wholesome choices for MOB  and bridesmaids as well. But please, don't blame me if you find yourself going broke from snatching up a closet full of these fancies! Gluttony is a a sin, you know.

Apologies for bringing back an old drift.....I don't know why I found this Kings Daughters site so fascinating, but I did, I looked at all their stuff, and I ordered a half-slip/petticoat.  It arrived yesterday.  They custom-make every order, and it's really well made (my mom sews a lot, so I've learned how to tell).  Here it is; say hi, Harry.  I do wear a lot of long skirts, so I'll get a lot of use from it, but I wonder if they would have done business with me if they know I also own a hot-pink crinoline that I wore to work today under a sundress that sports a fair amount of cleavage.

image.jpeg

Did the cat not quite approve of the slip spread across the bed, or did you  make the cat get off said item? My cats normally hop right on something that is spread out.

Oh, things would not have ended well if I made him move, so I had to lay it out where he wasn't.  And I hung it up right away so he wouldn't claim ownership by dropping a whole bunch of cat hair on it!!

On 6/28/2016 at 8:39 PM, twinmama said:

My husband and I walked back down the aisle with champagne glasses in hand! Toast at the altar, "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys, then "Birdhouse in Your Soul" playing, and drink our way back to the gathered wedding party. The running is immature IMO. Scary how much of their weddings are about sex and not about marriage or love.

Never seen anyone as obsessed with sex as a fundie. And they think we're the deviants.

I love that song " Birdhouse In Your Soul."

On 7/8/2016 at 2:49 PM, EmCatlyn said:

As far as reception lines go, I think if you have fewer than 200 guests you don't need them.  I have been at a few formal wedding dinners where you came in and were seated and then after the toast and cutting the cake, while everyone was dessert, the bride and groom stopped by each table to chat and thank people for coming, etc..   However, I agree completely that the bride and groom and their family need to thank people for coming.

I was at a wedding last night with no formal receiving line. While we were all seated for the various courses of dinner the bride and groom came to visit at each table. 

It was definitely NOT a Duggar approved wedding. There was a ton of food, everyone raved about the cocktail hour, a choice of filet mignon , stuffed chicken or stuffed fish for the main course and a dessert spread that was mind blowing! In addition to a glutinous amount of food there was an open bar and dancing! The Duggar heads would have exploded or maybe their eyes would have just rolled right out of their heads.

On June 22, 2016 at 6:48 PM, busdrivingmom said:

I'm sure Jinger will have a coffee flavored wedding cake (made by Sierra and Joy).  Or maybe skip the cake altogether and have someone making coffee drinks for everyone instead.

I can see JinJer having a coffee bar at her reception. The coffee urns will all stop working & Buggy-eyed Sierra will get on the phone & look for replacements that cannot be found. But at the last second Jesus steps in and provides hot coffee from the local Jesusy Coffee Shoppe. Bless Up! 

19 minutes ago, divadivine said:

I can see JinJer having a coffee bar at her reception. The coffee urns will all stop working & Buggy-eyed Sierra will get on the phone & look for replacements that cannot be found. But at the last second Jesus steps in and provides hot coffee from the local Jesusy Coffee Shoppe. Bless Up! 

It'll be coffee from that place she worked at for a whole day. Prayers will be said, Jesus (not the proprietor) will be thanked, and sweet fellowship of all varieties will be had. 

22 hours ago, divadivine said:

If Jesus would really loved them it would rain coffee like manna from the heavens. 

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

If Jesus would really loved them it would rain coffee like manna from the heavens. 

But in paper cups, of  course.

On 7/8/2016 at 7:14 PM, Four is Enough said:

Did the cat not quite approve of the slip spread across the bed, or did you  make the cat get off said item? My cats normally hop right on something that is spread out.

Cat was probably annoyed b/c said item was taking up space on her bed.

PS: Pretty enough to wear over skirt. I can't find appropriate under garments such as these. I have to make my own.

Remember when they came w"shadow panels" so light wouldn't travel thru & expose your bare legs?

Hussy.:my_biggrin:

On 7/3/2016 at 11:41 PM, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Ohmygawd.  My poor son -- he's having to deal with fundie lunatics in his almost-here wedding.  Stupid, stupid rules.  

Like:  bride is now prohibited from wearing her strapless gown without a fugly jacket; only "Christian" music can be played over the PA system (never mind an instrumental soundtrack without words ...); my daughter's tattoos must be covered; bridesmaid dresses cannot be above the knee; no drinking or dancing allowed; and eleventy other dumb-ass things.

QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY MY IDIOT FUNDIE MOTHER (in response):

"God wants us to be robots for Him."   Huh????  Holy hell.  :angry-screaming:

I really need you to ask some follow up questions..... I must know more. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived