IGNORED

Counting on- Part 7: Counting on Cancellation

samurai_sarah

I bet there will be a second season, and TLC/Discovery will just eat the cost.  Sure, they aren't getting any advertising revenue, but they are retaining a large fanbase that will keep watching until the day comes that advertisers start coming back.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three of many things that bother me about J&J:CO - an over-zealous rant from my hormonal mind: 

1. IIRC, in the months before the show coming back, Duggarette instagrams/facebook posts were mostly ones that later turned out to be directly related to the show. The posts we saw were pics with Sierra, the Tacos for Life couple, Spurge in preppy outfits, the fancy sugar cookies, Bin with Flame... basically all the shit that ended up in the episodes. This new show still felt like reruns to me because we had already discussed and speculated on these topics based on the pre-posted pictures.

2. Several people were introduced in this season who were not Duggars, and my fear has been that they are bringing in more people for new stories to follow and/or things for Duggars to be involved in. I've been thinking why else would they spend such time featuring these people we've never seen before (except Sierra) if they didn't intend to bring them back in future episodes?

3. The fake answers to our real questions. Showing Jana being a handyman, Jinger being a car flipper, Joy planning parties, Jill saving orphans one crayon at a time: all crap IMO. None of that appeared to have happened organically in front of the cameras, and was clearly designed to address "misconceptions" of the them. Seriously, to know that there are leghumpers out there sitting on edge of their couch and thinking "oh, this answers so many questions" and just eating it up, makes me laugh. TLC, if you did not intend this show to be farcical nonsense, you need to hire new producers.

28 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Three of many things that bother me about J&J:CO - an over-zealous rant from my hormonal mind: 

1. IIRC, in the months before the show coming back, Duggarette instagrams/facebook posts were mostly ones that later turned out to be directly related to the show. The posts we saw were pics with Sierra, the Tacos for Life couple, Spurge in preppy outfits, the fancy sugar cookies, Bin with Flame... basically all the shit that ended up in the episodes. This new show still felt like reruns to me because we had already discussed and speculated on these topics based on the pre-posted pictures.

2. Several people were introduced in this season who were not Duggars, and my fear has been that they are bringing in more people for new stories to follow and/or things for Duggars to be involved in. I've been thinking why else would they spend such time featuring these people we've never seen before (except Sierra) if they didn't intend to bring them back in future episodes?

3. The fake answers to our real questions. Showing Jana being a handyman, Jinger being a car flipper, Joy planning parties, Jill saving orphans one crayon at a time: all crap IMO. None of that appeared to have happened organically in front of the cameras, and was clearly designed to address "misconceptions" of the them. Seriously, to know that there are leghumpers out there sitting on edge of their couch and thinking "oh, this answers so many questions" and just eating it up, makes me laugh. TLC, if you did not intend this show to be farcical nonsense, you need to hire new producers.

they have to bring in the "new" people - because the old people aka the family are so boring. 

And to call it Jill and Jessa counting on is a  joke - Jill was not in the bloody show. 

It's also very telling that Jessa and co have been radio silent for the last week.  Something is up. 

in the newest promo Derick meets Spud and does Kunta Kinte on him

12 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

What I don't understand, since they clearly care more for money than decency, is why they haven't started showing old 19k and Counting shows, perhaps with the pretense that they are being "discussed" after what we know or something. 

I think it shows what lousy shape ATI/IBLP is in--they can't get any of their member's companies to sponsor (unless I've missed it) No Hobby Lobby, no Chckfilet ...

3 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Wasn't Jill told by a doctor to wait a year after a c section to get pregnant? I know Jesus knows better, but her headship might have taken this warning seriously.

For all we suspect they are afraid to go against JB, maybe JB is afraid to go against his own headship, the elders.  I'ts possible that JB and M would support her putting off pregnancy, after all why deliberately risk a serious birth defects.  Possibly they are afraid to publicize that they are supporting Jill putting off pregnancy because the higher-ups would be against it.  Despite the strong impression that JB runs the show for everyone, I kind of suspect he is sort of a puppet for the elders of the organization.

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I think it shows what lousy shape ATI/IBLP is in--they can't get any of their member's companies to sponsor (unless I've missed it) No Hobby Lobby, no Chckfilet ...

$$$$ over all else.

No one is going to put their neck's on the line to support the Duggars, if $$$$$ in their own pockets might be lost.

JB also worships at the altar of $$$$$.

6 hours ago, nst said:

The fake answers to our real questions. Showing Jana being a handyman, Jinger being a car flipper, Joy planning parties, Jill saving orphans one crayon at a time: all crap IMO. None of that appeared to have happened organically in front of the cameras, and was clearly designed to address "misconceptions" of the them. Seriously, to know that there are leghumpers out there sitting on edge of their couch and thinking "oh, this answers so many questions" and just eating it up, makes me laugh. TLC, if you did not intend this show to be farcical nonsense, you need to hire new producers.

The only things that have ever seemed genuine is Derrick doing missionary work. Derrick, not Jill.  John David working. Jana stuck with the kids--sorry JB/M but that seems damned genuine.

If they get sponsors I could see:

1. Jinger and and "buddy" like Justin or Josiah working for the Tacos for the Lord people.

2. They've never explained why Joe went to college briefly (WE know why--storyline!) but they might explain it.

3. Jill will have a 2nd baby to prove the Lord's protection over her in the Zika virus epidemic.

4. Joy will be shown "planning" an actual event for someone. I use quotes because it will be a repeat of something The New Amy (Sierra) has already done. New Amy's "wisdom" will be touted.

5. Jer/Jed will show how fabulous ALERT was cause they've never done that before...oh wait...

5. SOMEONE better'd announce a courtship or they're doomed.

There is no way that next season is going to focus on the boys, they are never going to focus on the boys.  For various reasons (mostly having to do with attractiveness) the public is not interested in the boys.  The past few episodes we saw more of them then we have in years mainly to take up the slack from losing Ma and Pa DimBulb, however the footage was still about 80% Duggar  females.

I don't want to give TLC any ideas but they could focus on events that took place years ago and just splice it in with new talking heads.  Have the girls reminisce about building the TTH or going to Europe or meeting the Bates.  If they really opened up and added something interesting that might give the old footage some extra oomph-- especially if they talked about negative emotions or added some gossip we hadn't already known.  Of course I am totally kidding because Jessa and company will never open up, never have anything insightful or interesting to say and they wouldn't dare say anything negative.

I agree with others--if they don't cough up an actual courtship before the end of 2016, the Duggar brand is doomed. And hints about nonexistent courtships aren't cutting it.

Only alternative would be if the Josh Duggar redemption tour begins in front of the TLC cameras. Or perhaps Jill contracting Zika while pregnant.

1 hour ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

<snip>I don't want to give TLC any ideas but they could focus on events that took place years ago and just splice it in with new talking heads.  Have the girls reminisce about building the TTH or going to Europe or meeting the Bates.  If they really opened up and added something interesting that might give the old footage some extra oomph-- especially if they talked about negative emotions or added some gossip we hadn't already known.  Of course I am totally kidding because Jessa and company will never open up, never have anything insightful or interesting to say and they wouldn't dare say anything negative.

This, especially to the bolded. I don't think viewers ever really have heard from the girls about what they thought of or encountered on their European, Asian, or Israel trips. I remember watching one episode and thinking, "The Duggars took all those trips and should have something interesting to talk about...and ALL they can talk about is how Michelle mowed the lawn in her bikini and defrauded the neighbor to the point that he divorced his wife?!"  

Even if there is a courtship or a pregnancy, that's already been done. Sure, it would be different people doing the courting but it's the same goofy rules. And we've already seen two disasterous home births. A courtship or pregnancy would almost be like a rerun.

5 hours ago, anotherone said:

For all we suspect they are afraid to go against JB, maybe JB is afraid to go against his own headship, the elders.  I'ts possible that JB and M would support her putting off pregnancy, after all why deliberately risk a serious birth defects.  Possibly they are afraid to publicize that they are supporting Jill putting off pregnancy because the higher-ups would be against it.  Despite the strong impression that JB runs the show for everyone, I kind of suspect he is sort of a puppet for the elders of the organization.

I"m not sure that the Duggars are in that tight with the elders.  JB isn't part of the inner circle (not like Bates).  I do suspect that the original Joshgate--when they went in front of the elders derailed any hope JB had for making it to the inner circle.  Up until that point, he would have been the poster child for ATI/IBLP.  

In other words, Josh already screwed the family's plan once.  Then the Duggars got lucky with the TLC gig and I don't think they cared about the inner circle.  Who cares about the elders at this point--they're making big bucks and selling their own brand of fundie-crazy.   the Duggars finally got to be fundies on parade.  JB and DQ even went to the rescue of the Bates family and their house build.

THen Josh goes and screws everything again.

Between Joshgates and the collective egos of JB and DQ, I don't think the elders have any input into their lives and vice versa.

I wonder if tonight or next week will be a pregnancy reveal. Maybe Jill hasn't been on the show lately cause she's showing, and it'll be announced tonight?

i hope to God that's not the case. But Jill seems dumb enough to think she could avoid Zika. As it's been said upthread/on other threads, Jesus is all the mosquito repellent you need! 

23 minutes ago, Artemesia said:

Even if there is a courtship or a pregnancy, that's already been done. Sure, it would be different people doing the courting but it's the same goofy rules. And we've already seen two disasterous home births. A courtship or pregnancy would almost be like a rerun.

I agree that it's been done and won't be all the amazing or interesting. But I don't know what else these people can offer unless they start being honest about everything, which you and I know they would never do. 

23 hours ago, Carol said:

I continue to believe that Jana is trying to not get pregnant. 

I know it's a typo, but I am pretty sure Jana's gonna be successful at that considering she's single. :):)

13 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

As it's been said upthread/on other threads, Jesus is all the mosquito repellent you need! 

Jesus, the Original DEET.

9 hours ago, nst said:

they have to bring in the "new" people - because the old people aka the family are so boring. 

And to call it Jill and Jessa counting on is a  joke - Jill was not in the bloody show. 

It's also very telling that Jessa and co have been radio silent for the last week.  Something is up. 

in the newest promo Derick meets Spud and does Kunta Kinte on him

What. The. Hell? Is there a link where I can see this assholery?

ETA: Found it. And, dayum. He seriously looks like grizzly adams.

I think the Kunta Kinte reference was b/c it looks like this?

Spoiler

On the tlc website there is a "first look" I believe for tonight's episode. They go to get Spergeon's passport photo taken and Jessa mentions this is the 2nd time they had to do this because the first time when they went to the office Spergeon shat all over himself. Considering the planning and permissions they have to get for each scene whenever they go somewhere, I bet TLC was annoyed. Honestly I'm surprised TLC didn't show it for laughs considering how low TLC will go. 

Ben makes a comment about how he's been married for a year and a half and that he's a dad... He makes a tiny smile, but it's so forced. He looks so tired even saying it.

I'm sure they'll tease the audience with the suggestion of potential pregnancy, like all the ridiculous courtship talk.  We'll be reminded how old Israel is, and that Jill got pregnant right away, and "oh no" Zika, and get to watch them shopping for and using bug spray.  Jessa will try not to grimace near Jill.  The babies will drool and need diaper changes.  They'll compare who does the diaper changes. 

I wish I was kidding.

11 hours ago, RabbitKM said:

I bet there will be a second season, and TLC/Discovery will just eat the cost.  Sure, they aren't getting any advertising revenue, but they are retaining a large fanbase that will keep watching until the day comes that advertisers start coming back.

They may also use the Duggars' show as the lead in to a show that comes after -- get people to stay around for the next show that does have sponsors.

38 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I'm sure they'll tease the audience with the suggestion of potential pregnancy, like all the ridiculous courtship talk.  We'll be reminded how old Israel is, and that Jill got pregnant right away, and "oh no" Zika, and get to watch them shopping for and using bug spray.  Jessa will try not to grimace near Jill.  The babies will drool and need diaper changes.  They'll compare who does the diaper changes. 

I wish I was kidding.

I also read, up thread, IIRC, that these next two episodes will have flashbacks to Jill's and Jessa's weddings. Because they were SO long ago.

1 hour ago, BabyBottlePop said:

On the tlc website there is a "first look" I believe for tonight's episode. They go to get Spergeon's passport photo taken and Jessa mentions this is the 2nd time they had to do this because the first time when they went to the office Spergeon shat all over himself. Considering the planning and permissions they have to get for each scene whenever they go somewhere, I bet TLC was annoyed. Honestly I'm surprised TLC didn't show it for laughs considering how low TLC will go. 

Ben makes a comment about how he's been married for a year and a half and that he's a dad... He makes a tiny smile, but it's so forced. He looks so tired even saying it.

Who goes anywhere with an infant without a change of clothes???

6 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Who goes anywhere with an infant without a change of clothes???

If I remember correctly Ben and Jessa were going somewhere in an earlier episode and Jessa reminded Ben to bring like two extra outfits. Maybe Ben forgot this time and Jessa was pissed.

For a cult that wants women submissive and not in charge, it is rather ironic that the Male Duggars don't really muster up much interest.  Even prior to the scandal,  episodes featuring Josh were lower rated.  I wonder if this sticks in the craw of some of the boys,  especially Josh, pre-scandal.  My impression is that the other boys from JD- Justin, are happy to not be in the limelight.  Jackson seemed to enjoy it when he was little, but we don't see much of him anymore. 

Anyway,  I just think it is an ironic twist, that the older girls are now in the position of earning money for the family as a whole and for their smaller families. 

In addition to be whacked out cultists,  these people can't even do cultism right.  The only that JB seems to succeed at, besides getting Michelle pregnant, is that he seems to know how to make money (in questionable ways, most likely).  Being able to make money enough to support his brood is no easy feat.  In the interest of Fairness, I think we do ow JB credit for being crafty and sly.  He may not be the brightest  or more insightful person on earth, but he can grift and weasel his way to a full bank account. 

in an extended scene Jessa tells Jill she has mice in her house 

could it be because she doesn't clean her house 

in another extended scene

jessa says she looks to anna as an example and she can learn from her

BARF

BARF

I didnt notice the first time, but Anna is wearing some pretty nice jewelry.  It could be costume, but if its not, they clearly still have some money.

2 hours ago, twinmama said:

I know it's a typo, but I am pretty sure Jana's gonna be successful at that considering she's single. :):)

Jesus, the Original DEET.

Please see my outline for next years shows.  I have solved TLC's viewer problems by adding a great deal of interest for FJ fans and horror to the leg humping fans.  Those poor things.

16 minutes ago, nst said:

in an extended scene Jessa tells Jill she has mice in her house 

could it be because she doesn't clean her house 

in another extended scene

jessa says she looks to anna as an example and she can learn from her

BARF

BARF

You really shouldn't judge people so cruelly who have mice in their homes. Ha ha. 

Archived