IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting on--part 3

Criscat

2 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

Hahahaha......... can you imagine them all sat around at the TTH (eating holy popcorn or whatever) and that line pops up. JB and Michelle glare at Anna, Josh looks sheepish while several adult children snigger behind their hands :clap:

Meanwhile MC BenJammin is hosting a new half hour show 'Rocking' Chair time with this as the theme tune:

Oh yeah one of my fav movies :my_biggrin:

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprise baby shower? Really? I believe of all surprise parties, baby showers should be illegal. Please, young moms and pregnant women, help me out! My own families have been gracious to NOT put me through ANY such surprises, well, the most would be a family get-together, and the surprise would be certain people coming that are from out of town/province/country that we rarely see. I've seen some people react to surprise parties with about a whole minute of shock; how what they had anticipated for that day/evening was NOT that. Putting that on a pregnant woman can therefore be dangerous. I really hope that this Kristin friend suspected something the moment she saw the film crew and grilled the living daylights out of them.

11 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

6) And...Jinger. She didn't flip that car. Her brothers picked it out. JD had to nod to her in the bidding. JoyAnna and Justin cleaned and fixed it. And Jed and Jer were the ones to "sell" it to a potential buyer (which apparently didn't work out at first). You can say all you want how much she loves to talk and sell stuff, but that completely contradicts itself when she doesn't say a word and the guys "sell" it for her.

So. Much. Ugh.

That whole thing just goes back to how hilariously bad they and TLC are at understanding public perception and how to manipulate it. They got the message that their beliefs and practices with regards to gender roles is not viewed upon favorably by the general public. They got the message that people think it's really weird and inappropriate for a bunch of able-bodied adults to not have any real academic or job skills or independent means of financial support. They got the message that they often look like they barely interact and have no real affection for each other. So what do they do? They attempt to kill three birds with one stone by having Jinger embark on her very own car-flipping career...by having her brothers there (because they're so close and "all about family") doing absolutely everything for her, because she's just an ignorant girl who can't manage to talk to strangers. This whole thing is repeated in every single staged scenario--Ben taking care of Spurgeon all by himself, Jana with the light fixture and the tree house. Is TLC punking us and while letting the Duggars believe they're redeeming themselves? Or do they just (probably accurately) figure that this nonsense will be good enough for the leghumpers?

My theory on Ben is that TLC/Duggars have muzzled him, and since he's not allowed to tell people they're going to hell on camera, he doesn't know *what* to say or how to behave. Hence, the awkwardness and looks of annoyance. I can imagine that he thinks all the scripted stuff they say and do are stupid. So when Jessa corrected him on "babysitting," he wasn't pissed off at her per se; it was more that he thinks they shouldn't have to lie about their beliefs in order to pacify us heathens.

11 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I guess JB has got to get a couple kids married off to either get higher ratings or to have few people to support.  But I'm pretty sure it is the former.  

He still (financially) supports his married kids.  There's no leave and cleave in the Duggar household.

ponderings while watching ep. 3. 

1. I am now thinking the weirdness between Ben and Jessa is one of two things:

A- because he feels jealous of the attention Jessa gives to Spurgeon? I'm sure he loves his baby but no longer being the center of her affection is maybe a disappointing reality check for him. 

B- he is less comfortable/familiar with infant care and she could be super micromanaging or constantly makes him feel like (more of) an idiot.

2. I'm a little disappointed in Jinger deferring so much to her siblings on "her" car project. C'mon girl, you are just as capable! 

3. Talking about Mama Carmen's orphanage, Jessa says "I can totally see Jill & Derrick running an orphanage like that." Gah! I hope that never happens.

4. In the video of Jill with Israel standing up on his own Jill says "yay Choo Choo, yay Choo Choo, and he's like 'now I get milk, now I get milk!'" Is it just me or is she making him do tricks for the camera and rewarding him with food?

5. When Jana says she wants to get the kids outside more so they get some energy out, it is because they are running around inside all day annoying the hell out of her. I feel bad her quick & easy playhouse solution "didn't seem grand enough" to John David. A woman can have her simple idea, but the men will make it better!

2 hours ago, Mothership said:

catching up here:

So, when Anna said this (right after Bin had made the point about fathers not babysitting, she uses the term babysitting), I was wondering who is watching your OTHER THREE KIDS?   Did Joy and Jinger not want to watch the baby?  Was Mac watching the boys?  This made no sense.

Even more awkward:  Anna to Jessa:  "have you checked his social media accounts?"  :Bang2:

Is Anna this clueless or was that a passive aggressive jab at Joshley?

I really think she is just that clueless. Remember in that last big Q&A they did before the molestation scandal...they knew at the point that In Touch had the police report and that the story was going to break any day. So what piece of newborn parenting advice does Anna offer? "Mommy takes care of the north end, Daddy takes care of the south end."

8 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

ponderings while watching ep. 3. 

1. I am now thinking the weirdness between Ben and Jessa is one of two things:

A- because he feels jealous of the attention Jessa gives to Spurgeon? I'm sure he loves his baby but no longer being the center of her affection is maybe a disappointing reality check for him. 

B- he is less comfortable/familiar with infant care and she could be super micromanaging or constantly makes him feel like (more of) an idiot.

2. I'm a little disappointed in Jinger deferring so much to her siblings on "her" car project. C'mon girl, you are just as capable! 

3. Talking about Mama Carmen's orphanage, Jessa says "I can totally see Jill & Derrick running an orphanage like that." Gah! I hope that never happens.

4. In the video of Jill with Israel standing up on his own Jill says "yay Choo Choo, yay Choo Choo, and he's like 'now I get milk, now I get milk!'" Is it just me or is she making him do tricks for the camera and rewarding him with food?

5. When Jana says she wants to get the kids outside more so they get some energy out, it is because they are running around inside all day annoying the hell out of her. I feel bad her quick & easy playhouse solution "didn't seem grand enough" to John David. A woman can have her simple idea, but the men will make it better!

I really love the mother's perspectives here on FJ because otherwise I would have no clue that all of this is just bogus airing 

less comfortable with infant care - he has six brothers and sisters and unless he just sat outside in his childhood reading the bible - he was in the trenches with the siblings.   I think it is what I think Lascuba said - to a degree - he can't tell us we are going to hell, so he just acts like an idiot and rolls his eyes, but the scene where she is breastfeeding and he is talking in the kitchen to the camera - he looks and sounds miserable

all the leghumpers are all loving the show  - according to the ODFB

11 hours ago, Carol said:

I haven't seen this episode but here are my thoughts on the show.  TLC backed themselves into a corner by saying Jim Bob and Michelle would be minimally involved in this show.  Because of that you can't show their home and the rest of the kids very often and that's where most of action that fed the success of their first show took place.  Really, how much TV can you get from two housebound young married couples with kids and unemployed husbands?  The plot lines are pretty thin.  If they are going with spotlighting a different child each week, how much can they really film when that child is so contained?  If this continues the show will die because viewers will leave.  I suspect this won't happen because I believe TLC and the Duggars both read this site and get their ideas on how to appeal/not appeal to their audience.  And I don't trust TLC to stand by their statement that this is mainly about Jessa and Jill.  They're watching the numbers plummet so look for changes in the coming weeks.  JMO.

Agree. I big, old, DUH, if no one involved in the production of this show didn't realize that 2 unemployed young families who do nothing beyond attempting to place their spin on the Bible and Christianity could make for an interesting/compelling TV show.

Stevie Wonder could have seen all of this-

13 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

but really Jessa told him not to call it babysitting (like someone said only because of the Jill backlash) and he still had a snark fest over being asked to look after his own kid.

But why shouldn't he be annoyed? He was sold on the fact that women do it all, and now they're changing the rules on him.

40 minutes ago, lascuba said:

That whole thing just goes back to how hilariously bad they and TLC are at understanding public perception and how to manipulate it. They got the message that their beliefs and practices with regards to gender roles is not viewed upon favorably by the general public. They got the message that people think it's really weird and inappropriate for a bunch of able-bodied adults to not have any real academic or job skills or independent means of financial support. They got the message that they often look like they barely interact and have no real affection for each other. So what do they do? They attempt to kill three birds with one stone by having Jinger embark on her very own car-flipping career...by having her brothers there (because they're so close and "all about family") doing absolutely everything for her, because she's just an ignorant girl who can't manage to talk to strangers. This whole thing is repeated in every single staged scenario--Ben taking care of Spurgeon all by himself, Jana with the light fixture and the tree house. Is TLC punking us and while letting the Duggars believe they're redeeming themselves? Or do they just (probably accurately) figure that this nonsense will be good enough for the leghumpers?

My theory on Ben is that TLC/Duggars have muzzled him, and since he's not allowed to tell people they're going to hell on camera, he doesn't know *what* to say or how to behave. Hence, the awkwardness and looks of annoyance. I can imagine that he thinks all the scripted stuff they say and do are stupid. So when Jessa corrected him on "babysitting," he wasn't pissed off at her per se; it was more that he thinks they shouldn't have to lie about their beliefs in order to pacify us heathens.

And it must be hard to reconcile being told what to do, by a women no less, when HE, according to the way he interrupts the Bible, is the headship.

His poor little brain must be spinning and thinking, "WTF did I do"....

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

And it must be hard to reconcile being told what to do, by a women no less, when HE, according to the way he interrupts the Bible, is the headship.

I love, love, LOVE that what he sincerely thought would be his entrance into tv ministry and heathen-saving turned out to be what silenced him.

I think he's come down to earth with a bump.

Not that long ago, he was a teenager being lead by his 'headship', chasing a bit of Christian skirt, has to go down the marriage route in order to get his rocks off, has a fancy honeymoon, gets to 'enjoy married life' for a few months and then :boom:All of a sudden he's a married man with a kid and a wife whose life no longer revolves around him. Not to mention that he probably married into the Duggar circus totally clueless about the shit that was about to hit the fan..........

BC USE would make all the difference in the lives of these young married couples. Even JB and M used BC for 4 years.

Fuck, how those 2 idiots destroyed 19 kids' lives.

8 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

Not that long ago, he was a teenager being lead by his 'headship', chasing a bit of Christian skirt, has to go down the marriage route in order to get his rocks off, has a fancy honeymoon, gets to 'enjoy married life' for a few months and then :boom:All of a sudden he's a married man with a kid and a wife whose life no longer revolves around him. Not to mention that he probably married into the Duggar circus totally clueless about the shit that was about to hit the fan..........

and it seems it finally hit in the head with that knowledge.  Because he was totally fine but clueless in the first set of TH's in the miniseries.  But now his ministry is not working, his wife is weird, he is filming something maybe he didn't want to do. 

10 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I love, love, LOVE that what he sincerely thought would be his entrance into tv ministry and heathen-saving turned out to be what silenced him.

I love it - because we don't have to endure coffins and stupid videos anymore 

Flame has left the coup

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

BC USE would make all the difference in the lives of these young married couples. Even JB and M used BC for 4 years.

More than 38, really, if you count all of the eventual Duggar spouses and kids who will be sucked into this mess before it all falls apart on them and they're left with no education, minimal job histories and a lot of mouths to feed.

With all of the family cooperation going on, why was Justin learning how to work on cars from a pastor?  Couldn't one of his older brothers mentor him?

And what's Ben doing when he's not on diaper duty?  Still cleaning toilets for Jim Bob?

I'm tired of the courtship question.  It's always the same, and the answer is always annoyingly vague.  I'd like to hear TLC ask if there are going to be any more scandals.

43 minutes ago, Dandruff said:With all of the family cooperation going on, why was Justin learning how to work on cars from a pastor?  Couldn't one of his older brothers mentor him?

And what's Ben doing when he's not on diaper duty?  Still cleaning toilets for Jim Bob?

I'm tired of the courtship question.  It's always the same, and the answer is always annoyingly vague.  I'd like to hear TLC ask if there are going to be any more scandals.

Does anyone know what Ben does to provide for his family? Also where exactly are Jill&Derrick? Is it El Salvador or Guatemala? I wonder why the Duggars always say Central, excuse me, Cintral America. And during the beginning of the show when Jessa corrected Ben, I got the impression that he just wanted to snap so bad and slap her. 

46 minutes ago, Hera said:

More than 38, really, if you count all of the eventual Duggar spouses and kids who will be sucked into this mess before it all falls apart on them and they're left with no education, minimal job histories and a lot of mouths to feed.

I think that by the time the Lost Girls are ready to court, someone will have escaped or said 'fuck you' to their parents and found a spouse the traditional way.  Or they will have married someone out of state with an established job/career and roots (see Michael and Alyssa Bates).

2 hours ago, nst said:

well if the show gets renewed - will we see a change?

because at this point it;s really quite interesting and strange

It is strange, but I actually feel really sorry for him because he has a lot on his plate at 20 years old. Were he and Jessa mainstream Christians or even fundie-lite, they could have still gotten married when they did, but take a good 5 or 6 years to get established and just live for each other. It's incredibly rare for a 19/20 year old guy (even a married one) to choose to procreate, so a good part of me believes that, while he loves his baby dearly, he would have had no qualms about putting off fatherhood if it was his choice. In a very short span of time, he went from banging his gorgeous wife on the daily, to sharing her with a newborn; it's an adjustment for most men, but compounded by his youth. But, if nothing else, they do have the extended family support to help them.

As far as he and Jessa as a couple, at this point it doesn't matter either if their not really compatible; their married now and have no choice (within the confines of Duggarland) but to stick it out until the sweet release of death in another 70 or so years.

On March 30, 2016 at 7:52 AM, nst said:

I really love the mother's perspectives here on FJ because otherwise I would have no clue that all of this is just bogus airing 

less comfortable with infant care - he has six brothers and sisters and unless he just sat outside in his childhood reading the bible - he was in the trenches with the siblings.   I think it is what I think Lascuba said - to a degree - he can't tell us we are going to hell, so he just acts like an idiot and rolls his eyes, but the scene where she is breastfeeding and he is talking in the kitchen to the camera - he looks and sounds miserable

all the leghumpers are all loving the show  - according to the ODFB

I'm not a mother so not sure if my perspective applies to your first sentence. (unless that was just directed at the general fj population?)

Before I made made my post, I too thought about the same point you mentioned, that Ben has plenty of siblings to have had experience with babies, but I don't know for certain that he was "in the trenches" with babies to the same extent the Duggar girls were. 

Anyway, I do think @lascuba is on the right track about Ben's mouth possibly being put on lockdown. Jessa obviously loves being filmed and doing talking heads, and Ben seemed to be way into it on 19kids. He is different now for sure. I agree they probably did give him a list of things he can't discuss and now he has nothing left to say. 

I'm still not convinced this accounts for all the bored and distant exchanges between him and Jessa that we see on the new show though. Thoughts?

55 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I don't think BC use would make much of a difference for the Duggar couples. They aren't going to go to college, get jobs or do pretty much anything if they use BC. Kids aren't holding them back from succeeding, crazy ideology is. They aren't going to suddenly because more liberal, hardworking or ambitious without kids. They will stay exactly where their are and likely feel that they have failed or are defying God because they haven't had fundy babies right away.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I'm preTty sure you meant interprets, but I think I really like interrupts instead. They interrupt the Bible so that they don't have to acknowledge anything they don't like.

15 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

I'm not a mother so not sure if my perspective applies to your first sentence. (unless that was just directed at the general fj population?)

Before I made made my post, I too thought about the same point you mentioned, that Ben has plenty of siblings to have had experience with babies, but I don't know for certain that he was "in the trenches" with babies to the same extent the Duggar girls were. 

Anyway, I do think @lascuba is on the right track about Ben's mouth possibly being put on lockdown. Jessa obviously loves being filmed and doing talking heads, and Ben seemed to be way into it on 19kids. He is different now for sure. I agree they probably did give him a list of things he can't discuss and now he has nothing left to say. 

I'm still not convinced this accounts for all the bored and distant exchanges between him and Jessa that we see on the new show though. Thoughts?

Not only that, but it usually looks easier when you're watching someone else do it. Seeing your parents birth, raise, and provide for a passel of children is no where near as hard as actually doing it yourself. And even mature, observant kids aren't always aware of the level of sacrifice their parents went through; does any kid ever wonder what their parents had to give up to pay for everyone's braces? Or notice if the parents took smaller portions of meat and veggies so there would be more for the growing children? Or barely ever got a more than a few moments alone together?

13 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I don't think BC use would make much of a difference for the Duggar couples. They aren't going to go to college, get jobs or do pretty much anything if they use BC. Kids aren't holding them back from succeeding, crazy ideology is. They aren't going to suddenly because more liberal, hardworking or ambitious without kids. They will stay exactly where their are and likely feel that they have failed or are defying God because they haven't had fundy babies right away.

I agree with you, and disagree. BC wouldn't suddenly change a person, but having more time as a couple without children may give relationships a firmer foundation. Especially for very young couples, who barely know each other.

Due to their crazy ideology, Ben and Jessa jumped in at the deep end. They're barely out of home, barely know each other, are still freshly married and have a baby. BC might have given them some time to establish their relationship, and fully mature, before bringing a child into it all.

1 hour ago, CoveredInBees said:

Who can't express frustration about his mother and father-laws or inlaws. I feel kind of bad that he is muzzled.  Kind of. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived