IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting on--part 3

Criscat

26 minutes ago, what the heck said:

I wonder where she thinks the money for an adoption is going to come from? It's very expensive to do. I have had friends that adopted, both parents worked and are able to live a pretty good life. Yet they have had to have a few fundraiser's, one family even had a Gofundme account, the other adopted before Gofundme. 

If they adopt through the government agency in Arkansas, the costs are just a few hundred dollars.  For private adoptions:  if they require paying the birth mother's medical fees, supporting her during pregnancy, and attorney fees, the costs can be $10,000 - $20,000.  International adoptions can cost more than that.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jessa quote: "The possibilities for Jinger are limitless."  Uh...unmarried stay-at-home daughter or wife and mother.  Doesn't sound exactly limitless to me.

Also, did anyone else notice that when they put in those ginormous poles for the treehouse it didn't look like the holes were very deep and then they just shoveled the dirt back in around the poles?  Shouldn't those things be embedded in cement?  All the support posts for my chain link fence are sunk in cement and that's just for a dinky 5 foot high fence.  Something like that treehouse up high off the ground, load-bearing and in a gully/low spot where all the water will collect or run through--seems like they should be anchored a lot more securely.

I'm sure JB has enough money if he wants them to go that way (ratings). I hope they realize that even after they've spent the money, the birth mother can still change her mind, and she is not obliged to pay it back. Technically, you can't buy a baby, even if it looks like it sometimes. You just have to hope that there's been enough counseling on both sides that this doesn't happen. The birth moms I dealt with were on Medicaid and had food stamps and subsidized housing, but it still cost the adoptive parents $10 - 20,000.

3 minutes ago, somanybooks said:

Jessa quote: "The possibilities for Jinger are limitless."  Uh...unmarried stay-at-home daughter or wife and mother.  Doesn't sound exactly limitless to me.

Also, did anyone else notice that when they put in those ginormous poles for the treehouse it didn't look like the holes were very deep and then they just shoveled the dirt back in around the poles?  Shouldn't those things be embedded in cement?  All the support posts for my chain link fence are sunk in cement and that's just for a dinky 5 foot high fence.  Something like that treehouse up high off the ground, load-bearing and in a gully/low spot where all the water will collect or run through--seems like they should be anchored a lot more securely.

Gonna say yes. Not a pro here. But i'm guessing this tree house is more like a deck, structurally, and needs to be built as one. So yes, deeper posts and in cement. and some cross bracing too is probably important. Maybe they'll get lucky and it will last for years, especially since the kids mostly play inside anyway. If a big storm comes through and washes it away odds are all the kids will be holed up inside, and they'll say what a blessing it was and doesn't god favor them, when no one gets hurt.

12 hours ago, YourGodIsNotMine said:

Annoying Anna is so full of it. She had to bring Meredith because her husband couldn't "baby-sit" so I guess she's saying her older three children are fully self-sufficient. Everybody knows the Duggar slaves are raising her kids. 

I also hope she wouldn't leave Meredith alone with Josh anyway. 

I seriously thought TLC was going for a plot twist and Ben would get both babies while they went for coffee.  It made no sense to not have one of the sisters-in-law babysit Meredith, unless the baby is her de facto "chaperone."  

1 hour ago, what the heck said:

I wonder where she thinks the money for an adoption is going to come from? It's very expensive to do. I have had friends that adopted, both parents worked and are able to live a pretty good life. Yet they have had to have a few fundraiser's, one family even had a Gofundme account, the other adopted before Gofundme. 

Working for Daddy Duggar, cleaning toilets, must pay damn good.    

But heaven help the child they try to adopt

37 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

If they adopt through the government agency in Arkansas, the costs are just a few hundred dollars.  For private adoptions:  if they require paying the birth mother's medical fees, supporting her during pregnancy, and attorney fees, the costs can be $10,000 - $20,000.  International adoptions can cost more than that.

Oh ok I had not heard about adopting through government pricing! I have just heard mainly about international and private! A few years ago I was looking into adopting from overseas! The Christian agencies I found said that you had to have been married for 2 years before starting the process. I stopped looking because I was and still am single!

10 minutes ago, what the heck said:

Oh ok I had not heard about adopting through government pricing! I have just heard mainly about international and private! A few years ago I was looking into adopting from overseas! The Christian agencies I found said that you had to have been married for 2 years before starting the process. I stopped looking because I was and still am single!

There are many, many agencies that allow singles to adopt and most U.S. state government agencies allow singles to adopt, too.  

43 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

They most likely will not get a baby.    If I remember correctly about what I read, they do have older children and children with special health or physical needs. 

Can you imagine a Duggar willingly taking on a child that needs more help ?    That child would most likely not be able to be a big buddy or whatever the hell they call them. 

Just now, DuggarWatch said:

There are many, many agencies that allow singles to adopt and most U.S. state government agencies allow singles to adopt, too.  

Thank you but my life has changed. At this point in my life I would not be able to be the kind of parent anyone needs!

16 hours ago, socalrules said:

How flipping bored must these older kids be everyday? When the show isn't taping, what can they be doing all day everyday? I doubt Jim Bob has enough work to keep them all busy everyday and, even then, they have to be wanting some non-daddy chosen activities. 

I felt that way when they had those incessant baby showers and the like. Teen boys hammering in flamingoes?  And sitting through the non alcoholic parties? They had to be paunfully bored

If you want the kids to spend more time outside, why build another house for them to stay inside? They have acres of land. Why can't the kids just play outside like everyone else? It isn't as though they are inside playing video games or reading. All they are doing is walking on counters and riding bikes inside. I grew up with video games (Super Mario addict here) and practically every toy out there and I still preferred playing outside with my friends. 

3 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

They most likely will not get a baby.    If I remember correctly about what I read, they do have older children and children with special health or physical needs. 

Can you imagine a Duggar willingly taking on a child that needs more help ?    That child would most likely not be able to be a big buddy or whatever the hell they call them. 

I'm afraid that any child adopted into any branch of the Duggar family would become a de facto servant, even more so than the life of drudgery already forced upon the bio Duggar kids. I also can't see them having the patience to work with a special needs child, especially one with mental or emotionally problems. Since the Duggars don't even stimulate the intelligence of their bio children, any special needs child would quickly deteriorate in their care.

9 hours ago, nst said:

I think the TH's  in the 3 part miniseries between Jessa and Ben were better than what we have been witnessing the past couple of weeks.

Something is off and I wonder what it is 

I think 19 year old Ben is realizing getting married just so he could have sex was a really REALLY bad idea.  He's to young, to sheltered, too stupid to have a child. He should be out chasing girls, partying, being a jack ass, screwing up, working, hanging out with friends. Now, he trapped in a marriage to a woman he probably doesn't really love, with a child, that he wasn't ready to have, and the possibility of endless more children to come.  He's not the headship of his family, his father in law is. He's married into a family that is dysfunctional 19 kids who are or will be totally incapable of functioning normally in society, a FIL who is so controlling he boarders on megalomania. He is for all intents and purposes fucked! 

9 minutes ago, socalrules said:

If you want the kids to spend more time outside, why build another house for them to stay inside? They have acres of land. Why can't the kids just play outside like everyone else? It isn't as though they are inside playing video games or reading. All they are doing is walking on counters and riding bikes inside. I grew up with video games (Super Mario addict here) and practically every toy out there and I still preferred playing outside with my friends. 

You probably played outside with friends because you were a normal kid brought up by normal parents.  I remember one 19 Kids Episode where Grandma Mary was babysitting the kids and she had them play the Four Square Game with a ball inside the house!  One of the little boys said that they didn't like to play outside because it was too hot.  One of their problems is that they don't live in a normal neighborhood and, even if they did, they wouldn't be allowed to play with the (heathen) neighborhood kids.  It's just another example of the abnormal childhood the Duggar kids have. 

3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

He should be out chasing girls, partying, being a jack ass, screwing up, working, hanging out with friends.

2 out of 6 ain't bad :Bazinga:

Just now, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think 19 year old Ben is realizing getting married just so he could have sex was a really REALLY bad idea.  He's to young, to sheltered, too stupid to have a child. He should be out chasing girls, partying, being a jack ass, screwing up, working, hanging out with friends. Now, he trapped in a marriage to a woman he probably doesn't really love, with a child, that he wasn't ready to have, and the possibility of endless more children to come.  He's not the headship of his family, his father in law is. He's married into a family that is dysfunctional 19 kids who are or will be totally incapable of functioning normally in society, a FIL who is so controlling he boarders on megalomania. He is for all intents and purposes fucked! 

Bolded the jack ass part.   He already has a master's degree in that.     I'm pretty sure he must have his undergrad in screwing up (after all, he did get married so young and married in to the Duggar family at that)   

3 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

You probably played outside with friends because you were a normal kid brought up by normal parents.  I remember one 19 Kids Episode where Grandma Mary was babysitting the kids and she had them play the Four Square Game with a ball inside the house!  One of the little boys said that they didn't like to play outside because it was too hot.  One of their problems is that they don't live in a normal neighborhood and, even if they did, they wouldn't be allowed to play with the (heathen) neighborhood kids.  It's just another example of the abnormal childhood the Duggar kids have. 

I've been wondering for a long time (since before fj) if the not playing outside thing is a cultural thing in the south, or maybe parts of the south.  When i was a kid i'd spend parts of my summers in alabama with my grandparents. Having grown up in california i was used to playing outside a lot, so that's what i did at their house. That, and they didn't have anything for me to do inside.  I never once saw other kids play outside. My grandparents would arrange play dates, and those kids never went outside, or had outside toys/structures etc. despite having land and manicured lawns to put it on.  The only people we ever saw outside were the fathers mowing.  My grandpa was born in england, raised in england/canada, and spent his adult years in california.  He would take me on long evening walks, where we would see nobody else outside.  

One of my neighbors is from georgia, and she rarely goes outside, or takes the kids out doors.  The weather where i live now can be challenging (below zero F is not unheard of in the winter, neither are large snow storms).  but everyone goes outside all the time here anyway- we just bundle up.  

It's soooo humid in the south, and everyone has AC to cut down on that. And the bugs....well..  they suck.  Then in the winters they get ice storms and such.  So maybe it's just a regional thing to not go out doors much? obviously there are outdoorsy people in the south- i'm just wondering if that's the exception not the norm.  Also, i've noticed housing sizes in the south and east coasts tend to be on the bigger side, where in the west it's traditional to be outside a lot and houses tend to be smaller. (massive generalization of course).

7 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I've been wondering for a long time (since before fj) if the not playing outside thing is a cultural thing in the south, or maybe parts of the south. 

No, it is not a cultural thing, or typical. 

11 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I've been wondering for a long time (since before fj) if the not playing outside thing is a cultural thing in the south, or maybe parts of the south.  When i was a kid i'd spend parts of my summers in alabama with my grandparents. Having grown up in california i was used to playing outside a lot, so that's what i did at their house. That, and they didn't have anything for me to do inside.  I never once saw other kids play outside. My grandparents would arrange play dates, and those kids never went outside, or had outside toys/structures etc. despite having land and manicured lawns to put it on.  The only people we ever saw outside were the fathers mowing.  My grandpa was born in england, raised in england/canada, and spent his adult years in california.  He would take me on long evening walks, where we would see nobody else outside.  

One of my neighbors is from georgia, and she rarely goes outside, or takes the kids out doors.  The weather where i live now can be challenging (below zero F is not unheard of in the winter, neither are large snow storms).  but everyone goes outside all the time here anyway- we just bundle up.  

It's soooo humid in the south, and everyone has AC to cut down on that. And the bugs....well..  they suck.  Then in the winters they get ice storms and such.  So maybe it's just a regional thing to not go out doors much? obviously there are outdoorsy people in the south- i'm just wondering if that's the exception not the norm.  Also, i've noticed housing sizes in the south and east coasts tend to be on the bigger side, where in the west it's traditional to be outside a lot and houses tend to be smaller. (massive generalization of course).

Grew up in southern New England - playing outside definitely isn't just a west coast thing. My siblings and I practically lived outside during the spring, summer, and fall as kids. Winters were fun too - lots of playing in the snow. 

This show is such a mess.  Either TLC is catering to the hate-watchers or else someone with a completely bizarre notion of "reality" is coming up with the storylines. I'm starting to think all of these weird ideas are coming from JB.  Take the car flipping, for example.  Car flipping for profit is actually illegal.  In Arkansas you can only sell 5 cars a year without a dealers license, so is Jinger a professional?  Does she have a license? And is it right  that you can make $500 by cleaning a car and changing the oil?  Is it legal  that the mechanic who worked on the car was just a kid?  It seems very, very shady and did not show Jinger in a good light anyway because she did very little.  So I have to wonder who thought this was a good idea?  It had to be someone who thinks flipping cars for a profit is a great idea and someone who thinks that showing Jinger pretend to be in charge was good enough.

All they had to do to make this a more palatable episode was show the real car lot.  Talk about what it took for J-manchild to get his dealer's license.  And then tell the audience that Jinger wants to see what it is like to buy and sell used cars for a living.  None of this pretense that she has been doing this for years.  None of the bullshit about how she is the one flipping the car when she did no bidding, no towing, no mechanical work, no cleaning, and no selling. What is so hard about telling and showing the truth?

9 minutes ago, violynn said:

No, it is not a cultural thing, or typical. 

Perhaps the kids in my grandparent's neighborhood were just odd then.

That is a massive generalization. I'm from the south and children often play outside and are encouraged to do so by their parents. 

Fewer kids now-a-days choose to play outside because of technology. Many would rather play a game on their iPad, smart phone, computer, etc. There are TV shows, on demand movies, and video games to compete with too.

Plus tons of children are over scheduled. They don't go outside for free play time. They go to baseball practice, soccer practice, football practice, hockey practice, dance classes, piano classes, zombie fighting classes, and so on. Those are all well and good in moderation, but in my opinion kids need some more "go play outside" free time.

Edited to add this part:

There is also a lack of imagination. Kids say "I'm bored" too fast. They need to learn to develop and use their imagination. Read books. Being that the Duggar kids are not encouraged to think outside the box this will be especially hard for them.   

3 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Grew up in southern New England - playing outside definitely isn't just a west coast thing. My siblings and I practically lived outside during the spring, summer, and fall as kids. Winters were fun too - lots of playing in the snow. 

My husband grew up in northern VA and spent great deals of time outside. Though to work in the garden in the summers he had to wear a bee keepers head covering thing, and still said he would end up with bleeding ears from all the bugs. We had a few crickets, and if you held still too long in the summer evenings mosquitos and gnats, where I grew up. But nothing that made you miserable to be outside.

My step aunt is highly allergic/attractive to chiggers (that's what they're called , right? ) and eventually moved out of tennessee, where she couldn't step foot on the grass without being attacked during the summer months.

So perhaps the duggars are indoors for legit reasons, and I wouldn't want to be outside then either. 

We have seen footage of the kids outside, riding bikes helmet less, and the basket ball court and stuff. But that could have been tlc plot line of course.

The 4 square indoors was a bit much for me. Seems like a great way to break something.

2 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

This show is such a mess.  Either TLC is catering to the hate-watchers or else someone with a completely bizarre notion of "reality" is coming up with the storylines. I'm starting to think all of these weird ideas are coming from JB.  Take the car flipping, for example.  Car flipping for profit is actually illegal.  In Arkansas you can only sell 5 cars a year without a dealers license, so is Jinger a professional?  Does she have a license? And is it right  that you can make $500 by cleaning a car and changing the oil?  Is it legal  that the mechanic who worked on the car was just a kid?  It seems very, very shady and did not show Jinger in a good light anyway because she did very little.  So I have to wonder who thought this was a good idea?  It had to be someone who thinks flipping cars for a profit is a great idea and someone who thinks that showing Jinger pretend to be in charge was good enough.

All they had to do to make this a more palatable episode was show the real car lot.  Talk about what it took for J-manchild to get his dealer's license.  And then tell the audience that Jinger wants to see what it is like to buy and sell used cars for a living.  None of this pretense that she has been doing this for years.  None of the bullshit about how she is the one flipping the car when she did no bidding, no towing, no mechanical work, no cleaning, and no selling. What is so hard about telling and showing the truth?

Exactly what I was thinking....and I did not see anyone with  OSHA approved PPE personal protective equipment on to protect themselves.  My last job it was critical for all workers to have it on for job they were doing to protect themselves.  

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived