IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting on--part 3

Criscat

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Commercial sponsors in Nova Scotia, Canada: The Boss, booster.com, Injury Help Desk, The Jungle Book, Dutch Glow cleaning tonic, The Huntsman Winter's War(?), and WWF. A ton of TLC ads.

35 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I hated Home Ec in sixth grade. Our teacher was horrible, one example was when we made tacos from scratch she wouldnt let the vegetarians in the class make a beefless version and then threatened to dock grades for those who didn't eat it. 

I took Home Ec in 7th-9th grade. I didn't take it in the later years because the only teacher in the later years didn't like me for some reason. (Had her in 8th grade & she accused me of not doing something when I did & when I defended myself she got pissed). 

57 minutes ago, Hiddenomaha said:

Jana, honey, you're not the mom. You really don't need to be worrying about getting the kids outside more

School would get the kids outside more, as would friends, sports, or scouting.  A treehouse gets them inside a house in a tree.

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It took three people a couple of weeks to make that $500? Good thing they don't actually have to support themselves!

It's nice to hear Jinger has a hobby, but I'm not really seeing this as Jinger with a career as the family had previously implied. She still has no ability to be independent or support herself if she so chose, and the initiative doesn't even seem to be primarily her own.

Considering all the time spent by all of those people, I think they lost money on that deal. :pb_rollseyes:

So many things stood out for me in this episode. Let's see if I can remember them all.

1) When Jessa called Ben out for the term "babysitting," Ben definitely had the 'all hope is lost look' come over his face. Be careful what you wish for in your life Ben, you just might get it.

2) When Anna said she didn't have a spouse to help babysit Meredith...AWKWARD. Ok TLC, thanks for reminding us of the white elephant in the room.

3) That long sneak peak for 2 In a Million new show, did TLC have to do that because there wasn't enough commercials for the Counting On show?

4) I see you read comments here TLC, because thanks for the reminder that there is such a good twin bond between Jana and JD. Of course they wouldn't have been separated for "jinder" roles.

5) Jana is still the head homemaker/sister mom. Making her install light bulbs and come up with plans for a child's tree house won't change that. That in itself was a glimpse of her next five years...

6) And...Jinger. She didn't flip that car. Her brothers picked it out. JD had to nod to her in the bidding. JoyAnna and Justin cleaned and fixed it. And Jed and Jer were the ones to "sell" it to a potential buyer (which apparently didn't work out at first). You can say all you want how much she loves to talk and sell stuff, but that completely contradicts itself when she doesn't say a word and the guys "sell" it for her.

So. Much. Ugh.

17 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I think part of it may be that Gothardites think once you got the girl, her job is to serve you, not the other way around. In a courtship the guys pursue the girl and put all that effort into her, but then in marriage the effort is largely from the women.  Ben put a lot of effort into courting Jessa and now that they are married (and once the novelty of being newlyweds wore off), he may have settled into more of who he is (dull, unobservant, kind of annoying) and may not be putting off that same "we are courting love me you're famous and attractive have a million flowers romance" vibe. Maybe Jessa is picking up on that. If I were being negative I would say she is icing him out for not being romantic enough, but it could be as simple as picking up on that shift in their dynamic and not really knowing how to respond to it. I mean she thought she was marrying courtship Ben, who is probably a lot different than everyday, make me dinner, clean the house, be my helpmeet Ben.

isn't Ben a  calvinist ? I don't know anything about calvinism...enlighten me. 

but if they follow both - then it makes sense that he is freezing her out 

By far the most boring I've seen of this series (including the original show)...and that's saying a lot!

One slight clarification - when Anna said Jessa should check Ben's social media accounts, she meant it as check to see if he was online posting things while Jessa was out, kind of a test to whether he was being an attentive babysitter  father or not. But yeah coming from Anna it was super awkward and I'd bet subconsciously she meant it as more than that.

Jinger's car flipping segments, especially the last one made me want to throw something. This is the best they could come up with to make her seem like she's more than someone who just does domestic work around the house? She had almost nothing to do with her new "project" from buying, cleaning, or selling the car. If she's such a good "talker" than why did one of the boys negotiate the deal for her?

Next week does not look promising either. More Sierra! Another baby shower! Even with no Duggars expecting they still manage to have an episode with a baby shower. What disaster will happen to poor Sierra plans this time?!?

4 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

3) That long sneak peak for 2 In a Million new show, did TLC have to do that because there wasn't enough commercials for the Counting On show?

Does this show strike anyone as exploitation of sick kids? It made me feel......I dunno........weird, odd.

2 minutes ago, nst said:

isn't Ben a  calvinist ? I don't know anything about calvinism...enlighten me. 

but if they follow both - then it makes sense that he is freezing her out 

I believe Calvinists also follow biblical headship and submission doctrines, in fact I believe the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood is a Calvinist organization. So I'm not sure if he is a Calvinist, or was a Calvinist and jumped over to IBLP for the Duggars, or does his own vaguely Baptist thing, but I would say chances are at almost 100% he believes in the godliness of feminine submission.

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

My reading of Ben and Jessa as a couple is: 

Ben wanted to be famous without really having to do anything. Jessa wanted to get married and start a family. They both wanted to have sex. Their goals coincided, so as prescribed by their religious subculture, they got married.

That's not to say they don't genuinely love each other or aren't genuinely compatible. I'm sure they do, and on some level they are. I'm just not sure that if they had a more mainstream lifestyle, their degree of connection would necessarily have resulted in a marriage.

But of course that's just speculation.

Totally true. I think Ben liked Jessa's looks and fame, and (at first) her confidence. She was a sexy Christian girl and he was just a hormonal teenage Christian boy, after all.

Jessa liked Ben because of his looks and all the attention he got her (from both himself and for the show). She seems to love being the center of attention, and Ben definitely provided that for her. She got to be the first girl in a courtship and go on dates and stuff. He was also probably relatively normal compared to the other suitors she had.

But they never really seemed on the same page to me. They never laughed at the same things or seemed in sync when they did interviews or scenes together. It seemed like one of those fake relationships 12 years olds have where they say "love you" to each other but don't know what that actually means. And now it's even worse because Ben has realized how domineering Jessa is and no longer gives her the adoration he used to. But they're stuck together so they're trying to make the best of what they have.

1 minute ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I believe Calvinists also follow biblical headship and submission doctrines, in fact I believe the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood is a Calvinist organization. So I'm not sure if he is a Calvinist, or was a Calvinist and jumped over to IBLP for the Duggars, or does his own vaguely Baptist thing, but I would say chances are at almost 100% he believes in the godliness of feminine submission.

well that explains every scene they were in tonight and I will never ever be surprised again about their realtionship

Ben was the romantic one during their courtship, and Jessa didn't get it.  Ben wanted to get Jessa a million flowers and she asked where she'd put them. 

Could be that Ben realized he was wasting his time with romantic gestures, or maybe he no longer gives a damn.

3 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

By far the most boring I've seen of this series (including the original show)...and that's saying a lot!

One slight clarification - when Anna said Jessa should check Ben's social media accounts, she meant it as check to see if he was online posting things while Jessa was out, kind of a test to whether he was being an attentive babysitter  father or not. But yeah coming from Anna it was super awkward and I'd bet subconsciously she meant it as more than that.

Jinger's car flipping segments, especially the last one made me want to throw something. This is the best they could come up with to make her seem like she's more than someone who just does domestic work around the house? She had almost nothing to do with her new "project" from buying, cleaning, or selling the car. If she's such a good "talker" than why did one of the boys negotiate the deal for her?

Next week does not look promising either. More Sierra! Another baby shower! Even with no Duggars expecting they still manage to have an episode with a baby shower. What disaster will happen to poor Sierra plans this time?!?

Since Joy is now a party planner,  perhaps she will be the one planning this shower.

Just now, Dandruff said:

Ben was the romantic one during their courtship, and Jessa didn't get it.  Ben wanted to get Jessa a million flowers and she asked where she'd put them. 

Could be that Ben realized he was wasting his time with romantic gestures, or maybe he no longer gives a damn.

Jessa said she didn't get it, but could be she is missing it now. But I think it's also partly how I said above, I think Jessa got used to being the dominant, pursued, adored force in their courtship because that's how courtships work. She got to say whatever she wanted and do whatever she wanted and Ben just looked at her all googly eyed. Now, Ben is expecting a submissive helpmeet and is expecting to be the man of the house, so I think she doesn't really know what to do with that change in their dynamic. Maybe she will figure it out (or maybe she will get a divorce and run like the wind! Just kidding, wishful thinking) or maybe they will get better at faking normalcy?

53 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

Considering all the time spent by all of those people, I think they lost money on that deal. :pb_rollseyes:

Yeah, they definitely did.

And there's nothing wrong with that as a hobby. Plenty of people like to putter around fixing up old cars, and it's normal for leisure time activities to cost money rather than making money.

I just find it weird that the Duggars were using it to portray Jinger as career-ready. Jinger hardly did any of it, and even if she had, it wouldn't have paid for rent/groceries/utilities to allow her to live on her own if she so chose. She's no less dependent than she was before this little foray into capitalism, just possibly a little less bored.

The Duggar parents have produced so many adults who have failed to demonstrate the basic capability of supporting themselves on a sustained basis, but rather than taking an honest look at their parenting and making changes, they seem to be determined to just try to insist the sky is green and everything is fine.

11 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

So many things stood out for me in this episode. Let's see if I can remember them all.

2) When Anna said she didn't have a spouse to help babysit Meredith...AWKWARD. Ok TLC, thanks for reminding us of the white elephant in the room.

That was super awkward...maybe it was an attempt by Anna to make a joke, but even if it was she sounded bitter. Also doesn't make any sense of why she "had" to bring Meredith with her...she's living with the Duggars, obviously was able to get child care for the three older kids, they really couldn't handle Meredith as well? Just another stupid plot device.

I haven't watched the episode yet but how would Joy take a car detailing class? Online? Gothard class? We know she didn't take a real class with heathens. Is there even a class for that? Who decided Joy should take a car detailing class? We know it wasn't Joy.

i also don't understand how Jinger made a $500 profit. Did they take into account the costs for cleaning or whatever the costs involved in fixing up th car?

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Yeah, they definitely did.

And there's nothing wrong with that as a hobby. Plenty of people like to putter around fixing up old cars, and it's normal for leisure time activities to cost money rather than making money.

I just find it weird that the Duggars were using it to portray Jinger as career-ready. Jinger hardly did any of it, and even if she had, it wouldn't have paid for rent/groceries/utilities to allow her to live on her own. She's no less dependent than she was before this little foray into capitalism, just possibly a little less bored.

The Duggar parents have produced so many adults who have failed to demonstrate the basic capability of supporting themselves on a sustained basis, but rather than taking an honest look at their parenting and making changes, they seem to be determined to just try to insist the sky is green and everything is fine.

You mean, the children aren't "equiped" to handle the real world? (Did anyone else see that SOTDRT fail on the car window?) 

42 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I took Home Ec in 7th-9th grade. I didn't take it in the later years because the only teacher in the later years didn't like me for some reason. (Had her in 8th grade & she accused me of not doing something when I did & when I defended myself she got pissed). 

When I got into private school in 7th grade we didn't have it. Amazing how crappy some teachers can be,

Off topic but I found the first comment to be too hilarious to not share. It's from the Pickles and Hairspray Facebook. JD is clearly looking downward at something:

pic.PNG

Is it just me or is this show starting to look like a singles show case?  Its like Gentlemen, 1st up is Jana, she is good at managing people and projects.  She's the go to girl when you need to get things done!  Next is Jinger, she cute and quirky she is artistic and loves flipping cars, Last up is Joy,...  

I guess JB has got to get a couple kids married off to either get higher ratings or to have few people to support.  But I'm pretty sure it is the former.  

I haven't seen this episode but here are my thoughts on the show.  TLC backed themselves into a corner by saying Jim Bob and Michelle would be minimally involved in this show.  Because of that you can't show their home and the rest of the kids very often and that's where most of action that fed the success of their first show took place.  Really, how much TV can you get from two housebound young married couples with kids and unemployed husbands?  The plot lines are pretty thin.  If they are going with spotlighting a different child each week, how much can they really film when that child is so contained?  If this continues the show will die because viewers will leave.  I suspect this won't happen because I believe TLC and the Duggars both read this site and get their ideas on how to appeal/not appeal to their audience.  And I don't trust TLC to stand by their statement that this is mainly about Jessa and Jill.  They're watching the numbers plummet so look for changes in the coming weeks.  JMO.

2 minutes ago, Carol said:

I haven't seen this episode but here are my thoughts on the show.  TLC backed themselves into a corner by saying Jim Bob and Michelle would be minimally involved in this show.  Because of that you can't show their home and the rest of the kids very often and that's where most of action that fed the success of their first show took place.  Really, how much TV can you get from two housebound young married couples with kids and unemployed husbands?  The plot lines are pretty thin.  If they are going with spotlighting a different child each week, how much can they really film when that child is so contained?  If this continues the show will die because viewers will leave.  I suspect this won't happen because I believe TLC and the Duggars both read this site and get their ideas on how to appeal/not appeal to their audience.  And I don't trust TLC to stand by their statement that this is mainly about Jessa and Jill.  They're watching the numbers plummet so look for changes in the coming weeks.  JMO.

that is the thing - they are showing everyone !! josie everyone 

including Michelle and JB

this iS NOT ONLY about Jill or Jessa  - well Jessa is sure in it 

but Jill is in maybe 2 minutes

its is just repackaged and called something different with elephants and Ben in the room

57 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

And...Jinger. She didn't flip that car. Her brothers picked it out. JD had to nod to her in the bidding. JoyAnna and Justin cleaned and fixed it. And Jed and Jer were the ones to "sell" it to a potential buyer (which apparently didn't work out at first). You can say all you want how much she loves to talk and sell stuff, but that completely contradicts itself when she doesn't say a word and the guys "sell" it for her.

Total TLC fail here.   Let's show those snarkers!  Duggar girls are fiercely independent and have an entrepreneurial spirit as strong as any man's!  (except Jinger can't do a single thing without her brothers - and even her little sister - handling every last detail for her)

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived