IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting on--part 3

Criscat

I watched the fist episode and a few minutes of the second episode. Ive been trying to keep up on FJ.  Why does this show exist? I thought TLC had something to show(a courtship or pregnancy). "19 Kids" had made up storylines, but it was watchable. TLC couldn't promote their new shows at the TCAs because the media was screaming at them about the Duggars, advertisers left after the 3 part special and yet TLC couldn't wait to give the Duggars a new show......why?(I think they have leghumpers at TLC). I guess they wanted to answer the critcs of the Duggars/TLC. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

This show is such a mess.  Either TLC is catering to the hate-watchers or else someone with a completely bizarre notion of "reality" is coming up with the storylines. I'm starting to think all of these weird ideas are coming from JB.  Take the car flipping, for example.  Car flipping for profit is actually illegal.  In Arkansas you can only sell 5 cars a year without a dealers license, so is Jinger a professional?  Does she have a license? And is it right  that you can make $500 by cleaning a car and changing the oil?  Is it legal  that the mechanic who worked on the car was just a kid?  It seems very, very shady and did not show Jinger in a good light anyway because she did very little.  So I have to wonder who thought this was a good idea?  It had to be someone who thinks flipping cars for a profit is a great idea and someone who thinks that showing Jinger pretend to be in charge was good enough.

All they had to do to make this a more palatable episode was show the real car lot.  Talk about what it took for J-manchild to get his dealer's license.  And then tell the audience that Jinger wants to see what it is like to buy and sell used cars for a living.  None of this pretense that she has been doing this for years.  None of the bullshit about how she is the one flipping the car when she did no bidding, no towing, no mechanical work, no cleaning, and no selling. What is so hard about telling and showing the truth?

This right here makes last nights episode make some sense. JB is flipping cars, and sticking to the 5 cars a year rule, He has 9 kids over the age of 18, each of them can buy and sell 5 cars, accounting for Jill not living in the states we'll say 8 that is 144 if they make a minimum of $500 on each that is $72k a year. Well a bit less accounting for the costs of clean up. $55k (rounding down for various costs & taxes) won't support a family of 30 but it will pay a few bills. 

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This right here makes last nights episode make some sense. JB is flipping cars, and sticking to the 5 cars a year rule, He has 9 kids over the age of 18, each of them can buy and sell 5 cars, accounting for Jill not living in the states we'll say 8 that is 144 if they make a minimum of $500 on each that is $72k a year. Well a bit less accounting for the costs of clean up. $55k (rounding down for various costs & taxes) won't support a family of 30 but it will pay a few bills. 

I agree with you concept in general, but not your math.

josh, anna, jd, jana,jinger, jessa, bin, joe, siah,jer, jed, joy=12 kids potentially plus DQ and grandma mary and JB=15

15 x 5 cars a year =75    x$500= $37,500/year

Good income for one of the kids and certainly nothing to joke about-  If Bin were actually overseeing the whole thing it would be a read job for him.

I'm 5 pages behind, so if anybody has already mentioned this, mea culpa. I think Ben was absolutely terrified by the birth and bloody aftermath, and he has absolutely no desire to go there again..... Quite literally. It's not all that uncommon after a traumatic birth.....and he's truly just a kid.....how do you process something like that when you are the Head of the Family? I can't imagine him bringing it up to her.....or to anybody else. He saw the pain she was in.....saw the aftermath, not just the afterbirth...... That's going to quench a fire or two, right there. Mr. K was 34 when our first was born, and he was convinced I was going to split in two. He even told our dr. to save me, and not to worry about the baby! It was a rough birth, but that was not even on the radar. Then you  add engorgement, leaky boobs, sore nipples into the mix.....I'm not sure Ben is ready to think about the future consequences of inserting part A into slot B.

1 hour ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Perhaps the kids in my grandparent's neighborhood were just odd then.

We used to have a sign at the top of our property as you were driving down onto the driveway that read, "Slow.  Watch For Children".  Wasn't all that long that someone(probably our gardener) changed it to "Watch For Slow Children".  Seems kind of applicable here.

1 hour ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

This show is such a mess.  Either TLC is catering to the hate-watchers or else someone with a completely bizarre notion of "reality" is coming up with the storylines. I'm starting to think all of these weird ideas are coming from JB.  Take the car flipping, for example.  Car flipping for profit is actually illegal.  In Arkansas you can only sell 5 cars a year without a dealers license, so is Jinger a professional?  Does she have a license? And is it right  that you can make $500 by cleaning a car and changing the oil?  Is it legal  that the mechanic who worked on the car was just a kid?  It seems very, very shady and did not show Jinger in a good light anyway because she did very little.  So I have to wonder who thought this was a good idea?  It had to be someone who thinks flipping cars for a profit is a great idea and someone who thinks that showing Jinger pretend to be in charge was good enough.

All they had to do to make this a more palatable episode was show the real car lot.  Talk about what it took for J-manchild to get his dealer's license.  And then tell the audience that Jinger wants to see what it is like to buy and sell used cars for a living.  None of this pretense that she has been doing this for years.  None of the bullshit about how she is the one flipping the car when she did no bidding, no towing, no mechanical work, no cleaning, and no selling. What is so hard about telling and showing the truth?

That is what kills me. As someone said earlier, there is so much native drama in their lives...why do they always have to make up the most asinine scenarios? Showing Jinger (fake) deciding she wanted to get into the car flipping business, and then learning the ropes, would have been honest, made a lot more sense, and wouldn't have resulted in so many obviously scripted lines. Oh, but that would have made it too obvious that the girls are only now starting to do stuff outside the home other than Christian speaking tours. Can't have that. 

As someone who wants nothing more than to see these people crash and burn on an infinite loop, I enjoy watching the constant flailing. But as someone who thinks that if you're going to make a tv show/move/publish a book you damn well better do a decent job of it, it's just frustrating as hell. I think the best thing for them to do in terms of resuscitating they're show is to be completely honest. Stop trying to appear relatable, or kind, or decent. Stop trying to appeal to the masses. They need to let their fundie freak flag fly. The hate watchers will tune in in droves. The leghumpers will rejoice. Think of the media attention/free advertising...regular thinkpieces on how dangerous this family's beliefs are, because now they'd be stating outright what they believe, in terms that would make instagram Ben proud. I'd froth at the mouth over those vile shit stains being successful again, but at least it would be because they were being honest for once. 

28 minutes ago, Kjaerringa said:

I'm 5 pages behind, so if anybody has already mentioned this, mea culpa. I think Ben was absolutely terrified by the birth and bloody aftermath, and he has absolutely no desire to go there again..... Quite literally. It's not all that uncommon after a traumatic birth.....and he's truly just a kid.....how do you process something like that when you are the Head of the Family? I can't imagine him bringing it up to her.....or to anybody else. He saw the pain she was in.....saw the aftermath, not just the afterbirth...... That's going to quench a fire or two, right there. Mr. K was 34 when our first was born, and he was convinced I was going to split in two. He even told our dr. to save me, and not to worry about the baby! It was a rough birth, but that was not even on the radar. Then you  add engorgement, leaky boobs, sore nipples into the mix.....I'm not sure Ben is ready to think about the future consequences of inserting part A into slot B.

Yep. Playaboy was pretty shell-shocked after witnessing the birth of Playakid #1 and resuming a sex life was the absolute last thing on his mind for the first several weeks after the birth. I think this episode was filmed when the baby was only a few weeks old so I'd say he was probably scared spitless at that point. Plus tired and overwhelmed while getting used to life with a newborn. 

Finally watching the shows.

Y'all have pretty much covered it.  Jinger spent more time checking herself out in the cars mirrors than in fixing up the car.

So, Jim Bob is selling cars from a lot he owns close to the highway?  Is he paying any applicable taxes, licensing or fees for running said car lot?

Mr. Tribe actually paused it at the explanation of an auction bit, and gave me a look. Such a look. "Thank god I watch this show, now I know how an auction works."

Jana, and Jinger, are doing nothing but being a foil for the guys to play off of.

Jessa is still kind of a bitch.  And, Mr. Tribes jaw dropped when Anna went on about 'check his social media.'  Hell, I"m enjoying watching these just to see hubbies reaction.

and to quote Mr. Tribe concerning Ben "That's why they have to adopt now, he cant father any more children without balls".

Now, if you'll excuse me.  I have to go watch Doc Martin.  Sigourney Weaver is in this episode.

1 hour ago, Carol said:

We used to have a sign at the top of our property as you were driving down onto the driveway that read, "Slow.  Watch For Children".  Wasn't all that long that someone(probably our gardener) changed it to "Watch For Slow Children".  Seems kind of applicable here.

The signs in one of the neighborhoods near me say "SLOW CHILDREN PLAYING" which I always got a kick out of.

In some states, it is illegal to do what Jinger, et. al. are doing with their car flipping. People cannot just buy cars at auction, fix them up, and then resell them. What is allowed in Arkansas?

1 minute ago, DaysAgo said:

In some states, it is illegal to do what Jinger, et. al. are doing with their car flipping. People cannot just buy cars at auction, fix them up, and then resell them. What is allowed in Arkansas?

If you read back a bit, people have posted that you can sell 5 cars a year. 

3 hours ago, what the heck said:

Oh ok I had not heard about adopting through government pricing! I have just heard mainly about international and private! A few years ago I was looking into adopting from overseas! The Christian agencies I found said that you had to have been married for 2 years before starting the process. I stopped looking because I was and still am single!

This is a frequent myth of adoptions - that they are expensive and hard to arrange.

Government agencies typically have fewer restrictions on single and/or LGBTQ applicants than international or private agencies. If younare adopting from a state agency in your Country, costs are generally minimal. In Canada, there are quite a few people adopting African American babies from state agencies (the ones I know of were from Florida), and they are perfectly lovely little ones. It costs us more than it would Americans, and there was a bit of a wait, but nowhere like here because - apparently - there are very few families in the US who are willing to adopt African American babies, and many birth mothers/families (who often get to choose which family their baby goes to) seemed to favour Canada as a destination for their babies.

I have heard that adopting older children or sibling groups or children who are designated special needs (often these children have very little medically wrong with them) have an even shorter wait time/less cost through government agencies.

I was looking at the possibility of adopting an older child from the government here (no cost, and frequently come with adaptation assistance), but there are very few available, and the government can afford to be selective, so they are mostly looking for two parent families, which is fair enough, but i dont see which I don't see happening in my world. If I do decide to adopt, I would seriously consider an international adoption of an older sibling group from the US government, although I would need to figure out how I could keep them in contact with their culture before I would go ahead. I would worry about ripping an older child away from one way of life and dumping them into my culture.

2 hours ago, Kjaerringa said:

Yep. Seeing a child born isn't for the faint of heart. Men really dont look at the vagina the same way again. 

7 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

This is a frequent myth of adoptions - that they are expensive and hard to arrange.

Government agencies typically have fewer restrictions on single and/or LGBTQ applicants than international or private agencies. If younare adopting from a state agency in your Country, costs are generally minimal. In Canada, there are quite a few people adopting African American babies from state agencies (the ones I know of were from Florida), and they are perfectly lovely little ones. It costs us more than it would Americans, and there was a bit of a wait, but nowhere like here because - apparently - there are very few families in the US who are willing to adopt African American babies, and many birth mothers/families (who often get to choose which family their baby goes to) seemed to favour Canada as a destination for their babies.

I have heard that adopting older children or sibling groups or children who are designated special needs (often these children have very little medically wrong with them) have an even shorter wait time/less cost through government agencies.

I was looking at the possibility of adopting an older child from the government here (no cost, and frequently come with adaptation assistance), but there are very few available, and the government can afford to be selective, so they are mostly looking for two parent families, which is fair enough, but i dont see which I don't see happening in my world. If I do decide to adopt, I would seriously consider an international adoption of an older sibling group from the US government, although I would need to figure out how I could keep them in contact with their culture before I would go ahead. I would worry about ripping an older child away from one way of life and dumping them into my culture.

Please explain more about American birth mothers placing their baby with Canadian birth families. How does that work? I never heard of a foster child in the USA being adopted by someone out of the country. 

Jessa said something about never going through this again, then she laughed it off later. Baby Wolf was an emergency c section, and Mr. Wolf was not allowed in the room. I was the one who didn't want him near me for a while. He was in the room when Baby Wolf 2 was born, and it didn't bother him as he did not relate to having a c section. This is the guy who can have teeth pulled or drilled without anesthetic, but faints at the idea of broken bones. Oh well, we're all different.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

@Kittikatz That's good information, and I can see you're taking this seriously, unlike the two who shall be nameless.

Thanks Badwolf. Adoption is such a serious thing. A huge loss for the family of origin and the children on one hand, yet a wonderful gift for the adopting parent(s), and, eventually the children. I don't have any interest in babies, but I would like to build a family with an older child or children, but only if I truly feel that it would be a truly good thing for them, in both the short and long run. Too many people (IMO) just think of the positives when adopting. Reality is, it's more complicated than that...

I had to DVR it. My 8 year old daughter walked in as I was watching and walked out because the howlers weren't included.  At eight, she is smarter than her momma.  I'm so proud!!!

5 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

If they adopt through the government agency in Arkansas, the costs are just a few hundred dollars.  For private adoptions:  if they require paying the birth mother's medical fees, supporting her during pregnancy, and attorney fees, the costs can be $10,000 - $20,000.  International adoptions can cost more than that.

Unfortunately it can cost more than that. Everyone wants a healthy white infant. This can costs up to $60k. Usually people who choose infant adoption are infertile. Don't understand why these folks would adopt anyway

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think 19 year old Ben is realizing getting married just so he could have sex was a really REALLY bad idea.  He's to young, to sheltered, too stupid to have a child. He should be out chasing girls, partying, being a jack ass, screwing up, working, hanging out with friends. Now, he trapped in a marriage to a woman he probably doesn't really love, with a child, that he wasn't ready to have, and the possibility of endless more children to come.  He's not the headship of his family, his father in law is. He's married into a family that is dysfunctional 19 kids who are or will be totally incapable of functioning normally in society, a FIL who is so controlling he boarders on megalomania. He is for all intents and purposes fucked! 

Ben shouldn't thought with his head. Lots of people self pleasure. No need to get married young and join the Duggar circus 

4 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

Unfortunately it can cost more than that. Everyone wants a healthy white infant. This can costs up to $60k. Usually people who choose infant adoption are infertile. Don't understand why these folks would adopt anyway

according to a website - Jessa is worth $400k so she can afford it 

because then we get to hear about it even more 

@Toothfairy my understanding is second hand, but apparently the US signed the Hauge Convention on international adoptions. The way some of the government agencies are (or were interpreting that as of 18 months ago) was that babies differed for adoption through government agencies and children in care could be offered for international adoption if the birth family chose to surrender the children to a specific international family who is also approved int their home countries for adoption. I don't know that this is the case in all US jurisdictions, but it was in effect in Florida, and I believe some other states. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/canadian-parents-paying-less-to-adopt-african-american-babies-1.2805227

http://www.christianadoption.ab.ca/international-adoptions/usa.html

(This seems to be private international adoption from the US. I may be incorrect, but I believe I was told by one lady who adopted a sibling group from the US was able to do this through the state - I recall that the mother was dead, so grandmother signed off on the children being adopted by Canadians)

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/sun-sand-adoptions-floridas-surprising-growth-industry

http://canadiancrc.com/newspaper_articles/The_Oregonian_US-adoption_Canada_04JUL04.aspx

Just now, nst said:

according to a website - Jessa is worth $400k so she can afford it 

because then we get to hear about it even more 

I am not arguing with you at all but how the fuck?  I thought they were paid $40 grand per episode, as a family.  I think I might be too tired for common sense to kick me in the face.  If I were to sleep with Bin, I'd be a millionaire?  Self esteem is priceless 

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived