IGNORED

Bates Family Part 13: Like Lipstick on a Pig

Boogalou

Tomorrow marks one month since my miscarriage. I made the mistake of watching Carson's birth episode today - now I understand why so many people here kind of cheer for Cherin. That episode was so genuinely emotional - it actually took me by surprise how emotional I got watching it (probably because I can understand a bit the type of emotional pain they must have suffered to get to that point.) 

I know their beliefs are horrible and I don't condone the things they believe at all. I don't expect them to change their views on anything - I'm not holding out hope for either of them to escape the cult... But I can't help but feel glad that they finally had such a beautiful baby and I hope very much that things turn out well when she gives birth again later this year.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On March 25, 2016 at 4:02 AM, JillyO said:

Interesting. Thanks for explaining. I've never heard it used as anything but an insult before, LOL (but then I've never really been in the Deep South).

As my friends and I used to say it's the Christian way to say "You idiot, why did you do that"

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Tomorrow marks one month since my miscarriage. I made the mistake of watching Carson's birth episode today - now I understand why so many people here kind of cheer for Cherin. That episode was so genuinely emotional - it actually took me by surprise how emotional I got watching it (probably because I can understand a bit the type of emotional pain they must have suffered to get to that point.) 

I know their beliefs are horrible and I don't condone the things they believe at all. I don't expect them to change their views on anything - I'm not holding out hope for either of them to escape the cult... But I can't help but feel glad that they finally had such a beautiful baby and I hope very much that things turn out well when she gives birth again later this year.

I am so sorry for your loss, and I am hoping you experience the same amount of joy Erin did when you give birth to your future child(ren) :) 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:58 AM, VelociRapture said:

Is it bad I would rather speak with the actual Devil? I mean, he's ruler of Hell and everything... But at least my feet would be left alone.

(And it's times like this I really miss the throwing up smiley thing.)

Huh??? is this a reference to foot-washing? (and ftr, I really dislike the throwing up smiley thing, but whatevs )

1 minute ago, salsa said:

Huh??? is this a reference to foot-washing? (and ftr, I really dislike the throwing up smiley thing, but whatevs )

It's a reference to Gothard supposedly having a foot fetish.

12 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Also from the South, and I generally mean it in a kind, sympathetic way, with the sense of "Oh no, that sucks!" If I ever use it in a snarky way, it's generally qualified, like "That person's dumber than a sack of hammers, bless their heart."

"Bless your heart" has become a stereotype of Southern lingo because (as best I can tell) we make a joke out of it and comedians joke about it as a stereotype of Southern American culture. In practice, I don't believe I've ever heard it used passive-aggressively. We *joke* that we can say anything horrible about someone else in gossip as long as we say, "bless his/her heart," but in reality, it doesn't play out.

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm so Tsorry for your loss - and equally hopeful for your future.

8 hours ago, twinmama said:

Alas, Michelle Duggar has a lesbian sister and she's still a crazy anti-gay bigot so...

Michelle Duggar has a sister who's lesbian? Bless her heart.

Alas, Michelle Duggar has a lesbian sister and she's still a crazy anti-gay bigot so...

You mean not everyone has the same beliefs as their family members? Gasp! Goes both ways ;)

To be honest, she was taken into an adoptive foster home and on the 'wrong track' with her real parents. If it weren't for the foster parents, do you really think she wouldn't have met Zach or been a wholesome enough woman for the family? 

I'm a biochild of foster parents so I know it takes more than a simple phonecall or parents smoking weed to get children placed. It would have had to be abuse, neglect or serious drug/mental issues for her to be taken and placed for more than a 3 or 6 month time period.

This is late. I catch up on episodes while on my elliptical and I'm behind. Just wanted to say I never understood the attraction to Chad Paine until the last episode I watched where he was refinishing that piece of furniture. Something about him that episode changed my mind. Hot damn that man is sexy

10 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

You mean not everyone has the same beliefs as their family members? Gasp! Goes both ways ;)

It's more believing your own sister is a person worthy of the same rights you are worth of having. Saying Kelly isn't anti-adoption because she has an adopted sister she loves is the same as saying Michelle can't be anti-gay because she has a gay sister. Not necessarily true.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:41 AM, NeverQuivered said:

If I had to guess, Bill Gothard would be the guy to talk to. 

But only if you promise to grow long hair and curl it---

The only times I've ever heard anyone say "bless your/his/her heart" out loud in real life (and I am not from the south), it's been to express admiration for taking on some huge and daunting task. Ex. "You organized the whole fundraiser by yourself? Bless your heart!"

1 hour ago, Tomboy said:

Does anyone know if any of the Bates boys have attended Alert Academy? 

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

Or which girls have attended JTTH?

I did a little research and I only found this

http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/post/39891650436/michaela-erin-and-alyssa-at-a-journey-to-the

This research made me think: we had Paines, Keilens, Websters, Wallers and etc all working for IBPL, but never a Bates kid, as far as I know ( correct me if I'm wrong). I just found this curious...

I am wondering if Whitney's was a legal / 'real' adoption. I have an aunt who left home in her late teens due to abuse by someone extended family that wasn't acknowledged by her parents. Anyway, she was first 'adopted' by a Catholic woman she called her mother (notable b/c my aunt was not originally Christian). That also fell apart after a number of years and she found another set of 'adoptive parents' and also reconciled with some original family. This is all to say we don't really know Whitney's situation ... but I suspect her adoptive parents are not legally her adoptive or foster parents. I sense this type of thing is more 'common' in religious circles.

14 minutes ago, jqlgoblue said:

I am wondering if Whitney's was a legal / 'real' adoption. I have an aunt who left home in her late teens due to abuse by someone extended family that wasn't acknowledged by her parents. Anyway, she was first 'adopted' by a Catholic woman she called her mother (notable b/c my aunt was not originally Christian). That also fell apart after a number of years and she found another set of 'adoptive parents' and also reconciled with some original family. This is all to say we don't really know Whitney's situation ... but I suspect her adoptive parents are not legally her adoptive or foster parents. I sense this type of thing is more 'common' in religious circles.

She reconciled with people who abused her?

2 hours ago, IzzyM said:

http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/post/39891650436/michaela-erin-and-alyssa-at-a-journey-to-the

This research made me think: we had Paines, Keilens, Websters, Wallers and etc all working for IBPL, but never a Bates kid, as far as I know ( correct me if I'm wrong). I just found this curious...

Michael looks older in those JTTH pictures than she does now. The Bateseseses have really had a style renaissance in the last few years. I wonder what triggered it? Michael's style has done a 180 for sure, in these photos she is very 1980's librarian (right down to the hairstyle) and now she wears very tasteful 'modern modest' type outfits and has super pretty hair.

8 hours ago, IzzyM said:

I also find it curious that IBLP Board member Gil never sent a kid to work at headquarters.  No Duggar kid has even been shipped there either--although Jana has lead JTTHs and Josiah seems to have stayed on at Alert in Big Sandy for extra months as some sort of volunteer/counselor.

In spite of the toxic nature of the Gothard mothership, it might have been beneficial for a Duggar male to get away from the chaos of the Duggar house and "Duggar Time" for a while

34 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

No Duggar kid has even been shipped there either--although Jana has lead JTTHs and Josiah seems to have stayed on at Alert in Big Sandy for extra months as some sort of volunteer/counselor.

The oldest Duggar girls (Jana down to Jinger) have been photographed at JTTH. Here's pics from two different times they were there:

b7c905560034753acd2b33047c3ac87d.jpg

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2012/07/journey-to-heart-photos.html

9 hours ago, IzzyM said:

I don't think a Duggar kid has either.  And add Kellers to that list as Priscilla worked for them before she was married.  Maybe Joshley will be shipped there to get away from the family.

Michael and Alyssa look completely different now.  Alyssa looks like she's over it already in that pic.  I want to say that was around the time Michael met Brandon.

I thought some of the older daughters went on a IBLP missions trip, and I remember Erin sharing what she learned on a JTTH; one that she and Jana went on together. It was a number of years ago, before Recovering Grace, or at least in the initial stages; before the Gothard-pervert-double-standards came out more. And we've since seen some distancing from it in Alyssa and Erin. But yeah, only Brandon actually works for the organization, or did; we haven't seen a recent update on that since the moving-to-Texas thing. If Brandon and Michaela did move or are moving, not coming out with it yet.

9 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

I thought some of the older daughters went on a IBLP missions trip, and I remember Erin sharing what she learned on a JTTH; one that she and Jana went on together. It was a number of years ago, before Recovering Grace, or at least in the initial stages; before the Gothard-pervert-double-standards came out more. And we've since seen some distancing from it in Alyssa and Erin. But yeah, only Brandon actually works for the organization, or did; we haven't seen a recent update on that since the moving-to-Texas thing. If Brandon and Michaela did move or are moving, not coming out with it yet.

They're probably moving and keeping it under wraps because it will be an episode next season.  

On 3/26/2016 at 3:29 PM, HCB said:

This is late. I catch up on episodes while on my elliptical and I'm behind. Just wanted to say I never understood the attraction to Chad Paine until the last episode I watched where he was refinishing that piece of furniture. Something about him that episode changed my mind. Hot damn that man is sexy

Arms. It's all about those handy arms. Yum.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived