IGNORED

Bates Family Part 13: Like Lipstick on a Pig

Boogalou

14 hours ago, IzzyM said:

I did a little research and I only found this

http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/post/39891650436/michaela-erin-and-alyssa-at-a-journey-to-the

This research made me think: we had Paines, Keilens, Websters, Wallers and etc all working for IBPL, but never a Bates kid, as far as I know ( correct me if I'm wrong). I just found this curious...

Two Waller girls with the Bates girls there, right?  And is that Michaella wearing the infamous bear sweater in the picture where they're laying on the floor in a circle (can't tell because she's "upside down")?

And I think Erin looks more mature than Michaella does in those photos - the pink bow and bangs in the picture of them in a van?  And yikes, the girls in braids makes them look even younger.  Just reinforced how creepy Gothard is - he probably thought teen girls looking even more "girlish" was awesome.  *shudder*

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. The clothes and hair in those pictures! I never would have guessed they were taken in 2009. They look more like early 90's teenagers. Alyssa is the only one who looks semi appropriate to the era in that she's pretty much just wearing hoodies with straight hair. The weird time warp that these people seemed to be trapped in until they became more image savvy a few years ago is bizarre.

13 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Wow. The clothes and hair in those pictures! I never would have guessed they were taken in 2009. They look more like early 90's teenagers. Alyssa is the only one who looks semi appropriate to the era in that she's pretty much just wearing hoodies with straight hair. The weird time warp that these people seemed to be trapped in until they became more image savvy a few years ago is bizarre.

Just last week I was going through old clothes in a wardrobe box in the corner of my basement that moved with me in 2000, so the clothes were from the '90s.  As I went through the box with my professional organizer, I was confronted with quite a few jumpers (bordering on "frumper"), long knit polo-type dresses, and the like.  Most were from Eddie Bauer, or Target, or other name brands. I looked at my organizer in horror and said, "Wow, I know some fundies who would love these.  How on earth did I wear these to WORK?"  She said, "Eh, it was in style then, just twenty years ago."  So apparently if I wore them now I could be considered a fundie.  99% of it was bagged up and is off to thrift store...doubt there are fundies near me, but you never know! 

What is with the picture with the braided pigtails with little pastel ribbon bows tied on? They look so infantilized... Must have been Gothard's idea :puke-front:

So, maybe someone who knows more about IBLP can give their thoughts on this.

Now that the Board has gotten rid of Gothard, do you think there will be any changes in teachings - or have there already been changes? For instance, would dancing suddenly be considered ok? Or could they change their views on miscarriages bring the mother's fault?

I'm obviously not going to hold my breath or anything. I'm just curious what could happen.

6 hours ago, Snarkle said:

Two Waller girls with the Bates girls there, right?  And is that Michaella wearing the infamous bear sweater in the picture where they're laying on the floor in a circle (can't tell because she's "upside down")?

And I think Erin looks more mature than Michaella does in those photos - the pink bow and bangs in the picture of them in a van?  And yikes, the girls in braids makes them look even younger.  Just reinforced how creepy Gothard is - he probably thought teen girls looking even more "girlish" was awesome.  *shudder*

I glanced at the pictures earlier, but you made me look again, and so many questions...

- how many meters of  pink ribbon are used by these girls?

- what's with the weird posing with the cups (btw go Alyssa for not taking part)

- when is this in time (real time vs the time warp of Gothard)?

- what's with the teddy bear-sweat shirt?? Why Michaella?

and...

why did I look again, closer?

It's fascinating if you look at the JTTH pics with Alyssa and at the same time have her current instagram pics up. She looks so much happier, content and individual now.

My favorite sound bite from the recent episode is Gil talking about the boys kicking blue balls.

I also find it funny that Zack said the older kids joke that Gil and Kelly have already been in the "grandparent stage" with their youngest siblings.

It's really disturbing how this cult stunts teenagers to the point where they look and act like very young children even when they're close to being legal adults and then BOOM they get married off and start having children of their own. It's like a bunch of 12-year-olds are getting married and having children. 

25 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

It's really disturbing how this cult stunts teenagers to the point where they look and act like very young children even when they're close to being legal adults and then BOOM they get married off and start having children of their own. It's like a bunch of 12-year-olds are getting married and having children. 

They rob young kids of their childhood and then prevent adolescents from growing into adults.

So developmentally inappropriate

Such a mind screw

It should be illegal

It is abuse

Bradley is adorable. That couch-thingy was the most blatantly pathetic product-placement scripted mess ever. It was actually painfull to watch. 

I almost didn't recognize Alyssa in those pictures! And I think somewhere it was discussed that Jana and Michael became close at the JTTHs they attended together. 

On March 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM, VelociRapture said:

Tomorrow marks one month since my miscarriage. I made the mistake of watching Carson's birth episode today - now I understand why so many people here kind of cheer for Cherin. That episode was so genuinely emotional - it actually took me by surprise how emotional I got watching it (probably because I can understand a bit the type of emotional pain they must have suffered to get to that point.) 

I know their beliefs are horrible and I don't condone the things they believe at all. I don't expect them to change their views on anything - I'm not holding out hope for either of them to escape the cult... But I can't help but feel glad that they finally had such a beautiful baby and I hope very much that things turn out well when she gives birth again later this year.

I'm so sorry for your loss! I can't even imagine what you are going through! I hope that your find comfort during this time!

10 minutes ago, bucherwurm said:

http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/post/39891650436/michaela-erin-and-alyssa-at-a-journey-to-the

In the second row, fourth girl from the left, do we know who that is? She looks familiar to me. A Keilen girl or Maxwell? Or am I just seeing things?

Don't know, but the girl next to her (to the left of Erin) I believe is a Neely. Perhaps the Neely who just got engaged to Daniel Staddon.

26 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Don't know, but the girl next to her (to the left of Erin) I believe is a Neely. Perhaps the Neely who just got engaged to Daniel Staddon.

That is Rachelle Afarian, David Waller's sister. 

37 minutes ago, bucherwurm said:

In the second row, fourth girl from the left, do we know who that is? She looks familiar to me. A Keilen girl or Maxwell? Or am I just seeing things? 

She reminds me of Sarah Maxwell, although I don't think it is her.

22 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

So, maybe someone who knows more about IBLP can give their thoughts on this.

Now that the Board has gotten rid of Gothard, do you think there will be any changes in teachings - or have there already been changes? For instance, would dancing suddenly be considered ok? Or could they change their views on miscarriages bring the mother's fault?

I'm obviously not going to hold my breath or anything. I'm just curious what could happen.

Nah. Different leader, same messed up teachings. They will probably replace Gothard with someone who doesn't have a sex scandal under his belt, or least a scandal the general public isn't aware of.

5 hours ago, bucherwurm said:

Maxwells do not attend events like this. They are not  ATI-educated.  And they might make friends who are not siblings.

On March 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM, VelociRapture said:

Tomorrow marks one month since my miscarriage. I made the mistake of watching Carson's birth episode today - now I understand why so many people here kind of cheer for Cherin. That episode was so genuinely emotional - it actually took me by surprise how emotional I got watching it (probably because I can understand a bit the type of emotional pain they must have suffered to get to that point.) 

I know their beliefs are horrible and I don't condone the things they believe at all. I don't expect them to change their views on anything - I'm not holding out hope for either of them to escape the cult... But I can't help but feel glad that they finally had such a beautiful baby and I hope very much that things turn out well when she gives birth again later this year.

A few weeks back on Instagram Erin stated that she and Chad were no longer members of IBLP and they did not go to a church that was affliated with them!

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

WAIT!

Another Staddon got engaged??! This makes 2 whole marriages out of 765 kids. I was beginning to think we had the Arndts: IBLP Edition going on.

I was poking around the IBLP site to see if there were more pics of JTTH, and found this gem from Gil, titled "The High Price of a Sensual Girl":

http://store.iblp.org/product/ZC13B2.html

There are 24 total "messages" from Gil and Kelly from what I can tell.  This particular one talks about finding a right life partner, but with a title like that, it seems sort of directed towards men (of course).

Wowee there's a lot of bouffant hair going on in those photos!!!

A lot of hair in general! 

I hope someone threw out Michael's teddy jumper...

1 hour ago, what the heck said:

A few weeks back on Instagram Erin stated that she and Chad were no longer members of IBLP and they did not go to a church that was affliated with them!

No they didn't. Erin said they weren't affiliated with ATI - since that's about homeschooling and they aren't doing that with Carson yet, it's technically true. 

And, as others have pointed out, Gothard is no longer affiliated with IBLP because the Board voted him out. So even if they don't follow Gothard anymore they could still be part of IBLP.

So, basically, it was a carefully worded comment that could mean something, but probably means nothing. 

51 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

No they didn't. Erin said they weren't affiliated with ATI - since that's about homeschooling and they aren't doing that with Carson yet, it's technically true. 

And, as others have pointed out, Gothard is no longer affiliated with IBLP because the Board voted him out. So even if they don't follow Gothard anymore they could still be part of IBLP.

So, basically, it was a carefully worded comment that could mean something, but probably means nothing. 

Well so much for wishful thinking!

These pictures confirm that I always suspected: Alyssa never had any time for this crap.

She's kinda become my pet fundie. I live for how much she clearly hated all this nonsense and now is basically giving the finger to it all by living a happy life in cute dresses and pants. YOU GO ALYSSA......and may you set a shining example for Josie to follow you. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived