IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

11 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I would be surprised if they used an non-KJV. Gothard intepreted the KJV for them so they can access those resources if they are confused, but the KJV movement believes other versions of the bible are tainted by man's imperfection and/or sin. They believe only the KJV is God-ordained. So using another versions would be like admitting you a) aren't smart enough for the KJV or b ) were tempted by false knowledge. Can't see JBoob doing either of those. 

I could see them taking stories from a more accessible version when reading to the kids, for example.  They didn't say they used the KJV "exclusively" so it may be ok to use other versions so long as you refer to the KJV for the real "message."   But, who knows, with the Duggars?

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

"You can fight a bear, you can fight a wolf, you can fight a coyote.  You may not win, but you can fight them.  But you'll never fight a cougar.  Damn thing will either flee before you know what you saw or win the battle before you even knew it was there.  Bear tracks, wolf tracks, you can take your chances.  But if you see cougar tracks, you never, ever keep going.  You get out of there and get into the open as soon as you can." ~Uncle Bob, Green Beret US Army Rangers, Combat Veteran, SAR Cheif, Mountaineer 

Your Uncle Bob was a wise man. I have had occasion to hit a black bear in the nose with the lid of a garbage can (it surprised me when I was putting the garbage out), and it ran away. I actually felt bad that I may have hurt it. I know people who have had much more serious altercations with Grizzlies and Brown bears, and one woman who got into it with a coyote in an effort to save their dog. With the exception of the man vs. Grizzly fight, all walked away. Damaged, but they lived.

The only time I was scared out of my mind by a cougar was when some friends and I were out hiking near Radium. I had been bribed there with the promise of hot springs... The morning was misty-rainy, and we were going up a heavily forested ridge, and there were serious fresh Cougar prints all around. My idiot friends obviously didnt pay attention the warnings in outdoor ed classes, and didn't think there was any danger and wouldn't turn back, and it struck me as a very bad idea to turn around and go back on my own, so I stayed, as best I could, in the middle of the group, and encouraged lound conversations. I will never forget the hair standing up on the back of my neck, and seeing the water pooling in the tracks and the deep claw marks in the mud. Spent the rest of the vacation wallowing in hotsprings, refusing to come out except when sufficient quantities of food and/or liquor were offered.

2 hours ago, just...sare said:

I read it as "eclair au pistache", so literally a pistachio eclair.

But what about the pickle writing?? Inquiring minds want to know.... :)

3 hours ago, Bushes of Love said:

The fall feast actually looks good. (I can't snark at the pre-made food and the 'we can't cook'. I'm one of those never cooking people, my dinner this evening was 6 chocolate ice cream cones, 2 cigarettes and a drink of pepsi straight out of a big bottle. If I'm feeling adventurous I will cook a frozen pizza or oven chips (again from frozen). Yes, I'm aware that is terrible for a 30 year old.)

Hehe, I would eat like that in my younger days, complete with cigarettes.  Enjoy it while you can! ;)

The little bakery/coffee place around the corner used to offer a "Beatnick Breakfast". It was a large coffee and 2 cigarettes. It was very popular, especially with people who were trying to quit smoking.  :D

5 hours ago, Kak said:

If it's not too rude, what does it say on the end of your pickle?

My favorite line from FJ ever! :D 

Sorry for the derail, carry on. 

14 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I would be surprised if they used an non-KJV. Gothard intepreted the KJV for them so they can access those resources if they are confused, but the KJV movement believes other versions of the bible are tainted by man's imperfection and/or sin. They believe only the KJV is God-ordained. So using another versions would be like admitting you a) aren't smart enough for the KJV or b ) were tempted by false knowledge. Can't see JBoob doing either of those. 

The church we used to attend, a non-denominational, used the NIV and most of the other the non denoms we visited around the area used the NIV as well.  I went to a Pentecostal church, once for a funeral, and they used the NIV as well. Not sure if it is just the area we live in, but it seems only the Catholics have the KJV bibles.

2 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

rexes

I'm sorry for this OT reply and I won't derail again, but I have to know!  Do you have Selkirk Rexes?? I want one so bad but I'm at my limit as a cat lady right now.

Catholics don't usually use the KJV.  They use NAB.  They might use the Jerusalem Bible or occasionally RSV-CE. 

18 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Catholics don't usually use the KJV.  They use NAB.  They might use the Jerusalem Bible or occasionally RSV-CE. 

Some Catholics also use New International Version (NIV).  A nun once told me KJV is too wordy.

I forgot this came back this week. Bless you all for your recaps and comments. Once again FJ proves to be more exciting than the show itself.

35 minutes ago, CatsRevenge said:

I'm sorry for this OT reply and I won't derail again, but I have to know!  Do you have Selkirk Rexes?? I want one so bad but I'm at my limit as a cat lady right now.

I have two rescued Devons. My mother has a retired show cat Cornish. I'm pretty much full here, but Selkirks are spectacular, so if I see one in need of a fresh person,  my hoarde are just going to have to adapt. Oh, and I'll need to buy a bigger house :kitty-wink:

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

I have two rescued Devons. My mother has a retired show cat Cornish. I'm pretty much full here, but Selkirks are spectacular, so if I see one in need of a fresh person,  my hoarde are just going to have to adapt. Oh, and I'll need to buy a bigger house :kitty-wink:

Thanks for the answer :kitty-wink:  Oh I love Devons too! I just love them all.  Mine are all mixed rescues.  My house is full, just me and the cats lol.

Ok, sorry for the slight derail.  Back to our regularly programmed snarking

Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod 'officially' uses the ESV (English Standard Version), but the church Im at mainly uses the NIV

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The church we used to attend, a non-denominational, used the NIV and most of the other the non denoms we visited around the area used the NIV as well.  I went to a Pentecostal church, once for a funeral, and they used the NIV as well. Not sure if it is just the area we live in, but it seems only the Catholics have the KJV bibles.

Catholics and a very specific brand of fundie use KJV. I have a theory that Catholics go for the tradition (but don't use stop their congregants from going for other versions if they prefer) but fundies go for it because it's harder to understand which makes your cult easier to control. They need to look to you for interpretation. 

The Duggars are associated with some families/organizations that are a part of the KJV only movement I believe (which I suggest googling if you are interested, it's an interesting topic) so I assume they are KJV only, in practice at least. But it is possible they use another version for kids or something as someone else said. 

On 3/20/2016 at 5:16 PM, ClaraOswin said:

Here's James in shorts...(I hate JB's stupid face so much.)

ET_DUGGAR_PLANE_1112_horiz_ren640.jpg

I've never thought of myself as a violent person, but every time I see JimBob's face, I want to punch him. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think you may be thinking of some other denomination--the King James Bible (KJV) is very Protestant.  It is also called the Authorized version.  It was "authorized" by the Church of England, 

The Roman Catholic equivalent of the KJV is Douay-Rheims.  Catholic "fundies" will tell you that it is the only good translation.  But the RC Church has authorized a lot of others.

The NIV is very popular nowadays, but the Duggars and the other Gothardites belong to the "King James Only" movement.

Here is a link to a pro-KJV only site.

Here is a link to a conservative Christian  group that refutes the KJV Only arguments.

10 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I think you may be thinking of some other denomination--the King James Bible (KJV) is very Protestant.  It is also called the Authorized version.  It was "authorized" by the Church of England, 

The Roman Catholic equivalent of the KJV is Douay-Rheims.  Catholic "fundies" will tell you that it is the only good translation.  But the RC Church has authorized a lot of others.

The NIV is very popular nowadays, but the Duggars and the other Gothardites belong to the "King James Only" movement.

Here is a link to a pro-KJV only site.

Here is a link to a conservative Christian  group that refutes the KJV Only arguments.

I have never heard of Catholics using the KJV. Ever. 

Our parish gives a Bible to kids at the beginning of their confirmation prep and it is NAB. The lectionary for the U.S. is also NAB.

This is the list of approved translations for the U.S from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: 

http://www.usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/

It does not include the KJV. 

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The KJV is not one of the Bibles authorized for Catholics. Among other things, the KJV that is generally in circulation does not include what the Catholics call the Deuterocanonical texts and the Protestants call the Apocrypha.

Although Catholics recognize the impact of the KJV on English Speaking culture, there are important differences, some of which are discussed in this essay from the Catholic Encyclopedia link.

And here is a link to a discussion of the Bibles authorized for Catholic use. Note that the NAB is the one that is supposed to be used for Mass readings.

bible versions for Catholics

59 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Catholics and a very specific brand of fundie use KJV. I have a theory that Catholics go for the tradition (but don't use stop their congregants from going for other versions if they prefer) but fundies go for it because it's harder to understand which makes your cult easier to control. They need to look to you for interpretation. 

You are probably thinking of the Douai-Rheims which is what fundy Catholics go for. As I explained in my previous message, the KJV doesn't have all the books the Catholics study.

The New American Bible is the preferred text for many Catholics because it is the one used at Mass, but Catholics also read the Jerusalem Bible and Douai-Rheims and others.

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

The KJV is not one of the Bibles authorized for Catholics. Among other things, the KJV that is generally in circulation does not include what the Catholics call the Deuterocanonical texts and the Protestants call the Apocrypha.

Although Catholics recognize the impact of the KJV on English Speaking culture, there are important differences, some of which are discussed in this essay from the Catholic Encyclopedia link.

And here is a link to a discussion of the Bibles authorized for Catholic use. Note that the NAB is the one that is supposed to be used for Mass readings.

bible versions for Catholics

Yeah, I know.  I go to mass.  :) 

48 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yeah, I know.  I go to mass.  :) 

Yeah, I figured YOU knew. 

But I was building on your answer because I am still in shock at the idea that Catholics might read the KJV as part of their devotions!  KJV is Protestant!  

2 hours ago, Kak said:

Am I reading your name correctly: eclair a up is tache?

If it's not too rude, what does it say on the end of your pickle?

it's a "éclair au pistache" a pistachio pastry or something. Sorry I don't know the correct translation. It's a french thing, and of course I chose the green because of pickle :my_shy:. At the end it says "L'éclair de génie" which means: Brilliant idea, it's a play of words because eclair actually means flash of light.

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Considering how old and outdated the KJV is maybe the Vulgata would be a better comparison :pb_lol:

ETA I just educated myself,  the Douai-Rheims is a translation of the Vulgata into English of around the same period of KJV.

Cradle Catholic here: We used the NAB all through Catholic elementary school.  In high school, we got an awesome "teen" Bible, which was still probably NAB. 

31 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

Cradle Catholic here: We used the NAB all through Catholic elementary school.  In high school, we got an awesome "teen" Bible, which was still probably NAB. 

I used NAB too for school and my sacraments. I still use it ocasionally when I go to mass.

• Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived