IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have any of the Duggar's talked with an atheist? How do they handle this type of conversation? Do they use the Bible? Do they say "Bless your heart"? Curious! 

Sorry, but I have to go back the cooking issue. 

Remember when Erin Bates got married and the girls made her a gag gift of recipes and fast food restaurant menus, because it was funny to them that Erin was known to not be a good cook.  They were making fun of her for this,  in a nice way, of course, but it was definitely considered funny to them that a godly woman like Erin wouldn't know how to cook. 

This is a contradiction to the whole them of the girls not knowing how to cook as they portrayed last week.  So, again,  that whole theme was a just a fabrication for the purpose of the show.  In other words,  These people are so dull, that a manufactured storyline about not knowing how to cook a turkey actually seems interesting to them.  What next?  Are we going to be treated to story line where a stray red sock in the laundry turned all the white clothes pink? 

22 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Nah, they're master manipulators and justifiers. They'll just make it a plot line. Like when Michelle was "teaching"the boys to cook. 

I have wondered what happens in these families if they have boy after boy and mom is the on,y women to so the domestic work

The mom gets tired-er and tired-er. I've read accounts of escaped ATI'-ers. Having baby after baby year after year and trying to be a perfect wife drains the life out of you. Even with kids to help, even with daughters to help, most women end up pretty lifeless. You can see a little of it in J'chelle in the early specials, though she has obviously pulled herself together for the cameras. 

2 hours ago, calimojo said:

Sorry, but I have to go back the cooking issue. 

Remember when Erin Bates got married and the girls made her a gag gift of recipes and fast food restaurant menus, because it was funny to them that Erin was known to not be a good cook.  They were making fun of her for this,  in a nice way, of course, but it was definitely considered funny to them that a godly woman like Erin wouldn't know how to cook. 

This is a contradiction to the whole them of the girls not knowing how to cook as they portrayed last week.  So, again,  that whole theme was a just a fabrication for the purpose of the show.  In other words,  These people are so dull, that a manufactured storyline about not knowing how to cook a turkey actually seems interesting to them.  What next?  Are we going to be treated to story line where a stray red sock in the laundry turned all the white clothes pink? 

are the duggars trying to mimic or copy the Bates family with their show and show "topics" I am wondering?  From what i have heard from coworkers who are rabid fans that the Duggars and the Bates families are in competition w/ each other...from number of kids, saying kids are concert pianists, hair styles, clothing styles, and so on and so on.  

I think the Duggars are keenly aware that the Bates family are gaining in popularity and that many view them as being more warm and fuzzy.  They also see that people respect the fact that to some extent the Bates kids are allowed some individuality and both the girls and the boys can work. The Bates still have crazy beliefs, but when you watch their show you at least believe that they really do  have fun together and have honest affection for one another.  It also seems that as parents Gil and Kelly are a bit more hands on that Jimbob and Michelle. 

I think this is why the Duggars are trying to make it seem like Jinger is now working with the used car lot, and that the other girls are helping with the real estate or house flipping stuff. 

By comparison, the Duggars are dull. 

33 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

The mom gets tired-er and tired-er. I've read accounts of escaped ATI'-ers. Having baby after baby year after year and trying to be a perfect wife drains the life out of you. Even with kids to help, even with daughters to help, most women end up pretty lifeless. You can see a little of it in J'chelle in the early specials, though she has obviously pulled herself together for the cameras. 

Oh, I can't even imagine. They must hit burn out so bad. Just....physically and emotionally have the life drained from them. So exhausted. You would feel under water all time. I don't think jchelle has pulled it together so much as perhaps just gone off the deep end.  Or maybe 6 years with no pregnancy and no newborn has given her the chance to finally come up for air.

43 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Oh, I can't even imagine. They must hit burn out so bad. Just....physically and emotionally have the life drained from them. So exhausted. You would feel under water all time. I don't think jchelle has pulled it together so much as perhaps just gone off the deep end.  Or maybe 6 years with no pregnancy and no newborn has given her the chance to finally come up for air.

I think in Michelle's case, she has more help (and money) than the average Fundie wife, so she's not really burdened the way they are. As far as I can tell, Michelle doesn't seem to have done much of anything for the last 10 years or so.  

1 hour ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Have any of the Duggar's talked with an atheist? How do they handle this type of conversation? Do they use the Bible? Do they say "Bless your heart"? Curious! 

Wasn't there an episode where they met an atheist in Scotland? I didn't see the episode, but I heard they were rude.

1 minute ago, season of life said:

Wasn't there an episode where they met an atheist in Scotland? I didn't see the episode, but I heard they were rude.

I did. I recall, maybe about 50% rude and 50% dumbfounded. Other religions they seem to grasp but no religion really threw them off.

2 hours ago, calimojo said:

This might actually be interesting.  Grandma/Jinger pass the laundry jurisdiction down to Jennifer or someone, who "inadvertently" puts non-colorfast clothing in a load of Jim Bob's white shirts. 

Or one of the married J'girls does it on purpose as a pregnancy/gender reveal. 

22 minutes ago, Julifornia said:

Or one of the married J'girls does it on purpose as a pregnancy/gender reveal. 

:laughing-rolling:

On 3/19/2016 at 9:27 PM, DuggarWatch said:

In all of their reality TV shows which are supposed to be their "ministry" to the world, I don't think they have ever quoted anything attributed to God from the Bible.

I'm reminded if the Jubilee miscarriage episode: "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." [Job 1:21 - Michelle]

That's the only verse I can actually recall anyone ever saying.

4 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I also wonder how much the Bible the Duggars actually understand, since they are KJV-Only but exhibit low levels of literacy. There's a meme in KJV-Only circles about how the KJV only requires a seventh grade reading level or something like that, but even assuming this is true (which I doubt), does anyone think that the Duggar kids actually read at a seventh grade level?

I don't know about the Duggars' reading level, but according to Bible Gateway (a good source for multiple translations of the Bible) the reading level required for understanding the KJV is twelfth grade. And I can attest from experience that the average college freshman will have trouble with 17th century English. (King James Version was completed in 1611.)  That being said, a lot depends on what standard you use to determine reading level.  The sentence structure of the KJV (and most Bibles) is simple.  The problem is vocabulary and some archaic grammatical structures.  I could see the KJV being accessible to people reading at seventh or eighth grade level if they had a gloss or some other type of vocabulary support.

Returning to the Duggars, they may well have vocabulary support as they try to read the Bible, but I suspect that they rely heavily on interpretations by folks like Gothard.  It is really ironic that some of the most enthusiastic adherents of "read the Bible for yourself, don't rely on priests to tell you what to believe," are incapable of reading the Bible for themselves.

Ive noticed recently on the new show that they have been quoting the Bible a lot more than before. 

I think at least three of them have mentioned, weep with those who weep.. ect. 

the whole episode should be on tlcme, I don't know if its available for people outside the U.S

Other than that, I believe the admins on FJ have asked us not to post links to illegal streaming websites, but that doesn't stop you from googling it ;)

1 hour ago, actuallyjessica said:

does anybody have a link to download or stream this new show?

I posted a link to the streaming video at Discovery earlier in the last thread, but it's not hard to find. Just go to the site.

10 hours ago, season of life said:

They did talk about God, and the person said either he didn't believe or didn't want to talk about it. They were quiet after that; probably just didn't know how to handle it, and maybe one said quietly that this shouldn't be filmed. At least I hope so, but I do remember the awkward silence until the next thing.

5 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

They did talk about God, and the person said either he didn't believe or didn't want to talk about it. They were quiet after that; probably just didn't know how to handle it, and maybe one said quietly that this shouldn't be filmed. At least I hope so, but I do remember the awkward silence until the next thing.

Oh, I guess that their show is not much of a "ministry" then, and that they are not trained missionaries.  Phonies.

13 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

Oh, I guess that their show is not much of a "ministry" then, and that they are not trained missionaries.  Phonies.

It happened when the Duggars went to Ireland and they met a street performer who said he was an atheist. I'm not even sure why they asked some random guy on the street such an invasive question. Maybe someone can fill in the details. In any case, I think the Duggars are used to being in the Bible Belt in particular and the US in general where most people back up their beliefs in some way. They can't imagine someone being an atheist because they're basically professional Christians surrounded by other professional Christians.

28 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

now this will sound so stupid - but I thought the new show would not be scripted as the old one was 

and then I realized after seeing the last episode plus the commercials for the new one 

it's even more scripted because these people have no personality and i really wish Jessa would stop with the us kids routine 

sweetie you are a mother - you aren't a kid anymore - your husband is - your child is - but the more you remind of us "us kids" the more you remind of us of the lies and duplicity 

end the show :D

I remember the show where Jim Boob met an atheist, and it was quite odd. 

I couldn't understand why he would ask some random what said random's faith background was until I visited Tennessee, and the first question out of a lot of peoples mouths, after "how you doing, where are you from?" (I can never pass as American outside of NOLA, I stand out as an instant foriener to most Americans, even before they hear the accent) and sometimes "what's your people's from?" (I do not understand how this is different from first question or if there is a cultural meaning I am missing, but apparently it is, I lied and said my people had been kicking around Canada for more than 300 years), was invariably something along the lines of "what religion are you/ what church do you attend?". It was weird. And I got the vibe that anything non-Christian would not necessary play well, and I knew Pastafarian was a not a good go to, so I made up some bullshit about being Anglican and how it was the official state religion of the British commonwealth, including Canada. Eyeroll... Thankfully they bought it, at least enough to feed me/give me directions and sell me some interesting things. Pretty country, but could not wait to get back to Savannah.

In the episode wherewhere Boob meets the athiest, I dont think he meant to be rude. I got the impression that he was gobsmacked that anyone would admit to believing that differently from what he was used to. Gobsmacked lead to flustered, not knowing what to say, and it turned into a touch of foot-in-mouth disease before he ran away... That said, years since I watched the episode, and maybe I missed something more aggregious. 

I just watched hthe clip on the TLC website that shows the girls shopping.

I know they are not really paying for anything and everything is organized by TLC but...

Can they at least PRETEND they are shopping for a large family on a budget? Frozen corn? Really? Cheesecakes, Really? 

I did not have to take care of siblings, I went to college, I work, I don't have kids yet....yet my homemaking skills are so , so, so superior to theirs. If my only possible option in life would be to be a stay at home mom I would be damn good at it and feed banquets to my kids.

All that biblical womanhood crap and their are still really lousy at running homes.

Just  freaking buy fresh corn and boil it in water for crying out loud!!!!!!

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
  • Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived