IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

Ok so I just got around to watching these.

Man TLC is trying really hard to cover everyone of peoples' complaints about this family. I find it so amusing since it's so on the nose and yet so poorly done.  First there were the super awkward promos of them trying to seem close / not robotic. Then we've got all the girls lying about being bad cooks. I mean are they thinking people are just going to forget about all the 19 kids and counting episodes that showed them always cooking? Plus they are all horrible actors, I don't think they could convince anyone they were telling the truth even if people really did forget.  Anyway next we get that remark about Jana only taking care of babies. What was that? I'm not sure what they were going for since showing that she does even more stuff for her siblings only further proves that she basically the families slave.  Finally we get that preview of Ben watching Spurgeon and he comments about how "the wives" (and definitely not the general public) don't like calling it babysitting. Sorry TLC you're gonna have to try harder to pretend these people are "normal".

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Ok so I just got around to watching these.

Man TLC is trying really hard to cover everyone of peoples' complaints about this family. I find it so amusing since it's so on the nose and yet so poorly done.  First there were the super awkward promos of them trying to seem close / not robotic. Then we've got all the girls lying about being bad cooks. I mean are they thinking people are just going to forget about all the 19 kids and counting episodes that showed them always cooking? Plus they are all horrible actors, I don't think they could convince anyone they were telling the truth even if people really did forget.  Anyway next we get that remark about Jana only taking care of babies. What was that? I'm not sure what they were going for since showing that she does even more stuff for her siblings only further proves that she basically the families slave.  Finally we get that preview of Ben watching Spurgeon and he comments about how "the wives" (and definitely not the general public) don't like calling it babysitting. Sorry TLC you're gonna have to try harder to pretend these people are "normal".

I mean someone at TLC clearly reads this site but also isn't very good at it. Like "oh, people call her Cinder Jana so instead of showing her having a life or a modicum of control, we will just show her doing even more shit for her ungrateful family, but this time it will be masculine shit. That'll show em!" "Oh they think the girls are too domestic and stick to traditional gender roles? Let's show them constantly cooking but pretending to be bad at it but also obviously nothing will ever go wrong either! That'll defeat those naysayers!" "They clearly don't like Josh for some reason... let's talk about him constantly but talk about forgiveness and how sorry he is! Everyone loves a redemption story right?"

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

Finally we get that preview of Ben watching Spurgeon and he comments about how "the wives" (and definitely not the general public) don't like calling it babysitting.

That comment irritates me on so many levels I don't know where to begin :tw_rage:

33 minutes ago, jas said:
  2 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Finally we get that preview of Ben watching Spurgeon and he comments about how "the wives" (and definitely not the general public) don't like calling it babysitting.

If Ben is babysitting instead of parenting, Spurgeon needs a paternity test.

8 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

Thinking about it, Mr. Collins and JB have more than one thing in common. But whereas Austen's readers know the sad reality of Charlotte Collins' life, the TLC viewers still get served the 'JB the exemplary husband with his super wholesome family' crap. 

Mr. Collins was not a sensible man.  :) my favorite quote.

10 hours ago, nst said:

right because that could have been a problem

the general public finally finding out the gender of the child 

I see riots start because of that 

riots 

They kept it a secret throughout the pregnancy and wanted to reveal the news how they wanted to.  As the new parents they have that right and they can do so for whatever reasons they choose (and considering they weren't even able to announce their own kid's arrival before a family member did...)

Combined with a high stress situation - I just don't see a major problem with how the call was handled. J'Chelle did what was needed by giving out the important information. Probably one of the very few times in Jessa's life where her mother didn't fail her completely.

Pickles has posted her review of last week's episode and it's epic 

plus - she included a close up of #theedgypreacher eating his taco 

it's almost like the close up picture of him cleaning the toliet

she is spot on when discussing Jessa 

(she says Jessa raised Jordyn ....)

I watched the 10 minute preview.

I love how we're supposed to believe Jinger is going against gender roles with the whole car auction and flipping stuff. Clearly, JD did the auction bit. She kept looking at him before bidding.

I am confused? Why are they are a car auction? Did they re-open the car lot? I thought the property was closed. Are they fixing up the cars and reselling them? That would concern me as cars are so computer oriented now that it's not as easy as it used to be to fix them.

i get that they are trying to show that the Duggar women are so involved in the businesses, which we know they aren't. Why couldn't Jinger go to the auction with just a sister if she was so involved? If you want your daughters involved in the family businesses, why not send them to college to study business? No one truly believes that the Duggar women have been taught enough, or given enough responsibility, that they could run any Duggar business. They failed at even showing Jana as an electrician as she didn't really do much of anything. I could have done what she did and I don't know anything about being an electrician. 

10 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I love how we're supposed to believe Jinger is going against gender roles with the whole car auction and flipping stuff. Clearly, JD did the auction bit. She kept looking at him before bidding.

Could be a combo of that and not trusting herself because she's new. But yeah, this has a manufactured for TLC feel to it, like most of the show, IMO.

14 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I am confused? Why are they are a car auction? Did they re-open the car lot? I thought the property was closed. Are they fixing up the cars and reselling them? That would concern me as cars are so computer oriented now that it's not as easy as it used to be to fix them.

i get that they are trying to show that the Duggar women are so involved in the businesses, which we know they aren't. Why couldn't Jinger go to the auction with just a sister if she was so involved? If you want your daughters involved in the family businesses, why not send them to college to study business? No one truly believes that the Duggar women have been taught enough, or given enough responsibility, that they could run any Duggar business. They failed at even showing Jana as an electrician as she didn't really do much of anything. I could have done what she did and I don't know anything about being an electrician. 

Yeah I think they still have their car selling business and Jinger works to clean them up and sell them (I think that's what they mean by Jinger 'flipping cars'). It's kind of funny because they showed Jana holding measuring tape and cutting cardboard but at the end, she wasn't the one putting the things in. I also wonder why she said that she likes challenges and solving problems like that but in the end she wasn't really involved in the process. TLC FAIL. 

31 minutes ago, socalrules said:

They are at a car auction for another reason tell us or show us a story line 

that and for Jinger to remind us that they all have roles - hers it to buy the car, Joy has to clean it

17 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Well, you have to have your hands free for your phone. Michelle would have liked that, she always has her phone in her hand. Not sure if she had her baby in a car seat, though.

She had that my breast friend...probably drove to the store with her kid on it.

I just went to Pickles page and laughed and laughed at the recap of the last episode. Also, I hadn't seen the candlelight altar featuring JB. Who is referred to in the recap as Godbobbers. Laughed.

My fav phrases include, Michelle and kids went to the airport to greet the returning money wasters.

Ben is as animated and alert as a sock puppet.

Benessa's house looks freshly ransacked. 

So, I laughed til I cried. I guess I need to pursue a more exciting life. It was pretty funny. 

23 hours ago, somanybooks said:

Last night I dreamed Jinger had been accepted to Harvard and Joy was also college-bound and, as a gag, was gifted with a gazillion boxes of feminine supplies.

I need to take melatonin more often.:pb_biggrin:

I'm willing to bet that the girls are not allowed to use tampons.   

Does anyone know? 

4 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

I'm willing to bet that the girls are not allowed to use tampons.   

Does anyone know? 

Speculating about what menstrual care products they use is a line I would rather not cross.

I never understood the big deal about whether someone uses tampons, pads, cups, etc. What does it matter? None are right or wrong. Honestly, it is something I would never bring up only because it seems of little consequence. This is one of those things that is truly none of our business and of little relevance as to how they live their lives. 

• Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived