IGNORED

Jana Duggar: Courting or hype?

Kelsey

5 hours ago, infooverload said:

I have to wonder what would really happen to Jana with unfettered access to the Internet. I know some of you are thinking she has the wifi password, but if I was her I wouldn't venture onto unapproved sites, knowing my parents could check the Internet history. Anyone here remember how she responded when asked about evolution on the family trip to the Creation museum? If memory serves me correctly she said something to the effect evolution makes sense, but I have to believe in the Bible. I remember feeling kind of sad watching it and thinking too bad critical thinking isn't valued in their family. Remember sometimes the person who appears the most religious can surprise you.

I'll have to check out the evolution episode again, but I'm almost 100% J'chelle has said the older girls (I remember it just being girls not guys) have access to the internet password.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/19/2016 at 9:55 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I really only follow the Duggars so I don't know much about their cult. But wouldn't most of the men her age already be married? I figured they married them all off pretty young.

Nope. I think we have a list of SAHS. Some of them are almost 40. The Staddons, Ardnts, and I think the Wilkes have a son who is over 25?

On 3/19/2016 at 10:16 PM, RoseWilder said:

Is it frowned upon in Fundie circles for a woman to be older than the man? I would imagine it is. But I don't see what the big deal would if Jana married someone who is 22 or 23 considering all of the unmarried people in this cult, whether they are 22 or 34, seem so sheltered and immature. Look at Sarah Maxwell. She's in her mid-30s and she doesn't seem to have grown or matured one bit in the last 15 years. 

The Maxwells are the only family I know who have a rule that the husband has to be older than his wife. 

11 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Maybe there is a widowed man in their circle of friends (?) looking for a more mature fundie (Jana) to raise his kids. Who knows?

I don't think Jana will have to marry a widow. Melissa Smitth, 39 didn't have to marry a widow. I know there are more examples of older fundie  women getting married.

I read a synopsis of the next "Counting On" episode and not only does Jana talk about courtship, the rest of the family travels to Central America without her. Hmmmm

@KiraI really have no clue who is married/unmarried/widowed/perpetually single among the male fundies. Just throwing that out as a thought.

8 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

@KiraI really have no clue who is married/unmarried/widowed/perpetually single among the male fundies. Just throwing that out as a thought.

:ok:

If Jana does get married, I'd want her to marry a guy around her age. Not someone who has already married, gotten experienced in life, and had kids. Jana has raised the Duggar kids, she doesn't need anyone else's kids to raise!

But I think she'll court and marry a single fundie, just like her.

6 hours ago, Kira said:

The Maxwells are the only family I know who have a rule that the husband has to be older than his wife. 

Its a legit rule? 

What is their reasoning behind it? 

I think it is easy to root for Jana and Jinger since they haven't appeared on social media and given us a reality check of how much KoolAid they have drunk and how awful their beliefs are and how much they are happy to grift. If Jana was married instead of Jessa, we'd be rooting for Jessa to find a hot husband and take her away from the cult. 

I like to think Jana and Jinger are a bit better, but I am fully prepared to be disappointed one day when they court and get social media accounts. 

Despite the eyerolls at when Boob is talking, Jana in particular has probably drunk a lot more KoolAid than we'd like to think. After all, aren't her best friends Michael Bates and Priscilla Waller aka Hardcore ATI fundies. 

That said, no matter how KoolAid drunk Jana is, I'll always have a little sympathy for her. Jana was forced to be Michelle II in that household, even more than the other J'Slaves. And while I have no doubt Jana does love her siblings, I don't get the same "I honestly love kids and would want several of them even if I wasn't a fundie' vibe from Jana that I do from Michael Bates. While I think Michael Bates genuinely wants a litter of kids despite being head sister mom, I wouldn't be surprised if Jana has "mysterious fertility problems" when she gets married....or at the very most, just has one or two kids. 

12 hours ago, Kira said:

Nope. I think we have a list of SAHS. Some of them are almost 40. The Staddons, Ardnts, and I think the Wilkes have a son who is over 25?

I don't think Jana will have to marry a widow. Melissa Smitth, 39 didn't have to marry a widow. I know there are more examples of older fundie  women getting married.

I read a synopsis of the next "Counting On" episode and not only does Jana talk about courtship, the rest of the family travels to Central America without her. Hmmmm

She probably had to stay behind and help Tabitha watch the younger ones.

At 26, Jana has a good start on limiting her blessings, unless, of course, she ends up with many multiples. I noticed in Josh's vows they agreed to have as many children as God gives the. Do they all have that?

34 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

At 26, Jana has a good start on limiting her blessings, unless, of course, she ends up with many multiples. I noticed in Josh's vows they agreed to have as many children as God gives the. Do they all have that?

Well, I think that at their wedding vows, Josh also agreed to be faithful? And we all know how well that turned out.

But otherwise I agree that Jana has good chances to limit her number of kids. She is now 26, and, assuming that she isn't pregnant now, the youngest she could become a mother is 27. But, unless those rumours about her courting are indeed true, I think 28 or 29 is more realistic. So even if she really will do the whole quiverfull, as many babies as possible thing, she probably won't have more than 10-12 kids, and that only if she turns out to be really fertile. If she will have enough sense to practise some NFP, she could easily drop the number to a single digit.

38 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Jessa didn't (they wrote their own vows), and I don't think Jill did either (she had a covenant marriage though, which means they have to have counselling before a divorce).

So far it's just been Josh that vowed to leave it up to God, so it may have been Anna pushing for that.

I'm still shipping Jana and Tim Tebow. And with that truth bomb ready to detonate, I think it's time to duck out for awhile. Lol :Bang:

On 19/03/2016 at 8:20 PM, infooverload said:

I have to wonder what would really happen to Jana with unfettered access to the Internet. I know some of you are thinking she has the wifi password, but if I was her I wouldn't venture onto unapproved sites, knowing my parents could check the Internet history. Anyone here remember how she responded when asked about evolution on the family trip to the Creation museum? If memory serves me correctly she said something to the effect evolution makes sense, but I have to believe in the Bible. I remember feeling kind of sad watching it and thinking too bad critical thinking isn't valued in their family. Remember sometimes the person who appears the most religious can surprise you.

I secretly like to think that if she does have access to the internet (on a device not fettered by something like covenant eyes), the first thing she searched for was how to delete her web footprint ;-)

Pretty sure Jana can't go to Central America with them  because, as a concert pianist, she has a...concert to play in....

I don't think Jill did either (she had a covenant marriage though, which means they have to have counselling before a divorce).

Or get divorced anywhere that doesn't have covenant marriage such as Oklahoma. 

1 hour ago, CoveredInBees said:

Jessa didn't (they wrote their own vows), and I don't think Jill did either (she had a covenant marriage though, which means they have to have counselling before a divorce).

So far it's just been Josh that vowed to leave it up to God, so it may have been Anna pushing for that.

It was Anna's father.  When Anna's sister, Priscilla, got married, her father said to David: "I have only two questions for you: Are you willing to trust God with the size of your family and second, are you willing to be accountable to Priscilla for your Internet use.” 

Here's part of the Anna/Josh wedding vows:

Josh vowed "to lead Anna in the ways of the Lord, as her priest, protector, and provider."

Anna vowed to place herself "under the leadership of Joshua, submitting to his authority as his helpmeet, being loyal, supportive, following his direction through Christ in your lives."

Both vowed to "trust God with the size of your family, allowing Him to determine the timing of each child."

Wait...that can't be an exact quote...the helpmeet part? Seriously??

I thought helpmeet was some term people at FJ came up with. I never looked into the origins of it.

When it comes to multiples, it's very possible for Jana since she's a twin herself.

I stand corrected. Now I want to see a picture of one of the girls in shorts, preferably without bloomers underneath. There was a picture some time ago which may have been Anna at the beach, and a girl, which may have been Mackynzie wearing boy's basketball shorts. It was never confirmed as far as I know.

I haven't seen that one of Mac in shorts.

The only ones I can think of are Jessa and Joy....

2A3BC2F100000578-0-image-a-1_14360387447

joy-anna-duggar-posing-with-a-gun.png

13 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Wait...that can't be an exact quote...the helpmeet part? Seriously??

I thought helpmeet was some term people at FJ came up with. I never looked into the origins of it.

It is taken from a mistranslated word in Genesis 2:18.  The passage should read: "And YHWH God said, 'It is not good that the man [Adam] should be alone; I will make him help.'"  

Yes, the word "helpmeet" was used in Josh and Anna's wedding vows, because that is how the King James Version translated the word "help" in the verse above.

1 minute ago, DuggarWatch said:

It is taken from a mistranslated word in Genesis 2:18.  The passage should read: "And YHWH God said, 'It is not good that the man [Adam] should be alone; I will make him help.'"  

Yes, the word "helpmeet" was used in Josh and Anna's wedding vows, because that is how the King James Version translated the word "help" in the verse above.

I'm not going to watch this. i might. i'm weak.  we'll see.

but it's amazing to me how much of their lives they are basing off of a mistranslated text. wow.

i've also read some great articles on why the spare the rod quote is totally and completely misinterpreted and to some extent mistranslated. and misused as well. I'll have to find it and link it some day- it was a great essay, and written by a christian who seem to have a strong grasp of the bible.

I had to stop watching right after I heard "helpmeet." All that submission crap was going to make me vomit.

Ok first of all Joshley is such a hypocrite.  The loyalty song and the 'forsaking all others" part of the vows.  And family size in vows is a little over the top since I consider that a private matter.

6 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Ok first of all Joshley is such a hypocrite.  The loyalty song and the 'forsaking all others" part of the vows.  And family size in vows is a little over the top since I consider that a private matter.

Not to the duggar's it isn't! they want everyone to know they are making big families for jesus. It's pretty much their biggest "contribution" to the world. 

Archived