IGNORED

Jana Duggar: Courting or hype?

Kelsey

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the preview for next week's episode, Jinger looks like she really wants to say 'yes' when the producer asks her if she's interested in somebody. It's also ridiculous how they keep pressing the courtship topic (especially on Jana) just to keep their viewers coming back. 

19 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

But very few people outside ultra-conservative Christians (maybe zero people?) honestly think they aren't an ADULT until they're married.

I already mentioned this in another thread, but I feel like complaining about it again. My extended relatives are not ultra-conservative. They're Baptists, but they're not strict about it. And they don't consider me an adult (even though I'm 36) because I'm not married. When my second cousin got married, I didn't get my own invitation (I was included on my parents invitation) because I'm not married. My brother, who is close to my age got his own invitation because he is married. They do this to me all the time. The upside for me is that I don't have to attend their boring events or send a gift. When they ask, I say, "I had no idea I was even invited." 

No individual invitation. No gift from me. That's my policy. 

1 hour ago, CharityBear said:

I found Brad Paine. He's quite muscle-y. Go Jana! ;)

Screenshot_2016-03-23-20-27-47-1.png

Why is his face stretched (?). And isn't this considered not modest by fundie standards? Pumping that much iron is vanity to Hell and back. :)

1 hour ago, CharityBear said:

I found Brad Paine. He's quite muscle-y. Go Jana! ;)

Screenshot_2016-03-23-20-27-47-1.png

Is this real life.... or Photoshop?

1 minute ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

D'oh! Now that you say that, it looks Photoshopped. The skin color of the face/neck doesn't match with the body.

I guess I'm gullible b/c I don't know very much about the Paineseseseses.

On 3/22/2016 at 5:27 PM, VelociRapture said:

<snip>

- "I was going to wait to say anything.... But I'm actually courting Chad Paine's evil twin brother, Brad. He's evil because he's got, like, that curly type mustache all them villains got in the old time Hollywood movies I watch at Jessa's house. But he looks just like Chad otherwise. And he tells me I am a concert pianist - no matter what anyone else says." 

On 3/22/2016 at 5:40 PM, ClaraOswin said:

Someone needs to photoshop a picture of Brad Paine. Ha!

53 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

It's BRAD Paine. See the posts quoted above... :)

He is missing the mustache though.

4 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

It's BRAD Paine. See the posts quoted above... :)

Lol..my bad. Trying to keep up with too many other threads.

Not surprised Jana wants to wait before picking the right guy for her. I have no doubt in my mind some of the men interested in her were as empty-headed as Ben or naive as Derick. She could have ended up with Jim Bob 2.0. If she is okay with being single, that's good. I would be pretty pissed if I heard she was courting because I don't want her to be saddled with lots of babies. 

Oh, and that whole bit about asking John/Jana and Jinger about who's courting, that's bullshit. I have a feeling no one is courting yet and this is another way to draw in viewers. 

2 hours ago, season of life said:

<snip>. 

Oh, and that whole bit about asking John/Jana and Jinger about who's courting, that's bullshit. I have a feeling no one is courting yet and this is another way to draw in viewers. 

You are probably right, but I wonder if they have also been given an ultimatum by JB:. "One of you better be courting by the end of the season!" 

13 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I already mentioned this in another thread, but I feel like complaining about it again. My extended relatives are not ultra-conservative. They're Baptists, but they're not strict about it. And they don't consider me an adult (even though I'm 36) because I'm not married. When my second cousin got married, I didn't get my own invitation (I was included on my parents invitation) because I'm not married. My brother, who is close to my age got his own invitation because he is married. They do this to me all the time. The upside for me is that I don't have to attend their boring events or send a gift. When they ask, I say, "I had no idea I was even invited." 

I think some people are just too cheap to spare another invitation or card, too. This happens constantly to my 66 year old (widowed) mother who is currently living with my husband and me. She'll get invited to things, but hardly ever gets her own invitation - they usually address my husband and I (Mr. and Mrs. Thunder Rolls) and then put my mom's first name (not even her last) like she's our child. Often she's not included on the outside envelope at all but on the inside note. To be fair, my mom and I are new additions to the location we're currently living in, and we're still adjusting to some of the cultural practices here. When you're basing things off of your own previous experiences and how you would things yourself, it can be a little insulting. 

Edit: I do feel like in your case it's extra rude, though, since you're siblings are getting their own invites while you are not. 

12 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

He had just shaved to look extra smooth for Jana :my_biggrin:

16 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

Maybe my experience is a consequence of where I come from, but I don't find this particularly weird. Or rather, let me rephrase - we usually send an invitation per household/family - nothing to do with married or not. For example, if you were living with your parents, we would send the invitation to your parents+you. If you were living on your own, we would send an invitation to your parents and a separate invitation to you at your address. 

14 minutes ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Maybe my experience is a consequence of where I come from, but I don't find this particularly weird. Or rather, let me rephrase - we usually send an invitation per household/family - nothing to do with married or not. For example, if you were living with your parents, we would send the invitation to your parents+you. If you were living on your own, we would send an invitation to your parents and a separate invitation to you at your address. 

All of my siblings and I are over the age of 30 and living on our own. The married ones get their own invitation and the single ones don't. But like I said, it saves me the trouble of having to go to their boring events!

Isn't there an episode where the 5 oldest girls are sitting up in the bedroom and I think Jill says a girl pursuing a guy turns the guy off, and I think it was Jana or maybe Jinger who tried to say maybe sometimes it could work, and Jill just talked over them? Does anyone remember the episode I'm referring to? I tried looking at episode descriptions but nothing seemed to jog my memory.

6 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Isn't there an episode where the 5 oldest girls are sitting up in the bedroom and I think Jill says a girl pursuing a guy turns the guy off, and I think it was Jana or maybe Jinger who tried to say maybe sometimes it could work, and Jill just talked over them? Does anyone remember the episode I'm referring to? I tried looking at episode descriptions but nothing seemed to jog my memory.

Maybe the episode where David and Priscilla get married? I saw a recap of the ep recently, and I saw some shots that line up with what you're talking about.

I often get the same treatment from some sectors my extended family. The invitations don't really bother me, because like you, I use it as a 'oh....didn't even realise I was invited, whoops!' excuse at times to the point that when my mother came and visited a few weeks ago and handed me my own invitation to my uncle's 60th, I was like 'ugh great, they've caught on to that trick, now I have to think of another excuse to get out of it!'. 

What does annoy me is the way they would stick me at the kids table despite being well into my twenties because I didn't have my own kids/wedding ring while cousins younger than me sat with the adults because they had a kid. It REALLY annoyed me because I always felt like I was being "used" as a babysitter for a bunch of under 10s while my cousins happily ignored their kids for a few hours because LawsonBatesEgo will keep an eye on them. It's also no fun to be stuck trying to stop the little kids killing each other with a fork while their parents sit back and relax. 

One day when I was at a birthday party held at a huge park and had to keep stopping my cousins young kids from running onto the street and running away and was getting sick of it, my mother was actually appalled at how my cousins just literally looked at me to chase after their kids while they kept chatting. On the way home, she said to me 'next time, stay at home and let them deal with their own kids, the way they treated you as the unpaid help was disgusting'. 

4 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Maybe the episode where David and Priscilla get married? I saw a recap of the ep recently, and I saw some shots that line up with what you're talking about.

I thought so too but I tried to skim around the episode and look for the quote I'm referring to and I didn't find it. Maybe I'll look again, I just so don't want to have to watch that whole puke worthy wedding over again.

I don't remember the actual episode, but I think that conversation happened with the five oldest girls around the time that they "wrote" that book on "relationships." It was the same conversation in which Jinger uttered those famous words, "City, please," giving us some hope...until Jill shut her down by telling her she had to work on her contentment. I think this goes back about four years; I think Anna was between Michael ane Marcus, and there was a lot of speculation about whether she was pregnant (she wasn't), because she was so slow to lose pregnancy weight. 

At any rate, I am pretty sure that's when the girls "opened up" about courting more than they ever had in the past. 

See, in my family, we all WANT to sit at the children's table. Mainly because the children are the only ones who GET a real table, but also, us cousins without kids enjoy spending time with the other cousin's kids.

The difference being that we are not expected to parent. If I need the kids' parent, I go find one and they will deal with whatever it is I need dealing with.,

Also, it's our choice. I can't imagine being forced to just because I'm not married.

But then, I just am an oddball with a really strange family.

42 minutes ago, Trynn said:

See, in my family, we all WANT to sit at the children's table. Mainly because the children are the only ones who GET a real table, but also, us cousins without kids enjoy spending time with the other cousin's kids.

The difference being that we are not expected to parent. If I need the kids' parent, I go find one and they will deal with whatever it is I need dealing with.,

Also, it's our choice. I can't imagine being forced to just because I'm not married.

I wouldn't really care if not for the expectation that I'll provide the supervision......and the fact I just generally found it a little insulting that I'm not an 'adult' until I pop out a kid or get married.

12 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I instantly thought of this, but I don't think that's the episode you mean :kitty-wink:

17 hours ago, Trynn said:

"City, please" is from the Priscilla getting married episode. Currently rewatching to see if it is Jana is the one who didn't seem to think you would burst into flames if, as a woman, you expressed interest in a man first.

15 hours ago, twinmama said:

Holy shit, Joy looks like an ad for joining ISIS.

At least she's not sporting wholesome wear...

Archived