IGNORED

Maxwells vote for Ted Cruz

albanuadh_1

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear. Poor Sarah, but it has to be said.  If you don't have kids or a job or other responsibilities and challenges that keep you genuinely busy, then it is unfortunate at best to write a post lecturing and advising others about how not to be lazy, and then following it with a photo of yourselves sat on the grass in the sunshine!

This is where Sarah really pisses me off the most telling me who to vote for when she's not even allowed to watch a fucking presidential debate.

Well, bollocks. Looks like Cruz did win. As did Bernie, but the Maxwells won't give a fuck. Wonder if there'll be a post about how readers' prayers helped Cruz win? 

Urgh, I hate the Maxwells. And Cruz. And Republicans. But I'm not American so my opinions mean bugger all.

On 4/5/2016 at 8:02 AM, silverspoons said:

My youngest daughter got caught up in politics this year and it was interesting looking at it through a middle school perspective. <snip> By this time she realized that local government over the president would be more important for our rural landlocked city.

Well, damn. Be proud of your daughter. She gets what very few voting-age adults in this country understand. I mean, imagine if all the people who support Bernie Sanders for president this year had bothered to vote in the 2010 and 2014 congressional elections.

19 hours ago, SPHASH said:

This is where Sarah really pisses me off the most telling me who to vote for when she's not even allowed to watch a fucking presidential debate.

I wonder what she would have made of Rubio's small hands comment?

Very pissed at the paragraph about moms voting before or after husband is off of work. Why not just say "everyone, vote when you can", oh wait, that would be too inclusive. 

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

I wonder what she would have made of Rubio's small hands comment?

It would have sailed right over her head.

Well, damn. Be proud of your daughter. She gets what very few voting-age adults in this country understand. I mean, imagine if all the people who support Bernie Sanders for president this year had bothered to vote in the 2010 and 2014 congressional elections.

This is the first year I've heard of this. Please elucidate. (Is this something I would've known if I hadn't grown up over sheltered?)

8 hours ago, Trynn said:

imagine if all the people who support Bernie Sanders for president this year had bothered to vote in the 2010 and 2014 congressional elections.

This is the first year I've heard of this. Please elucidate. (Is this something I would've known if I hadn't grown up over sheltered?)

Voter turnout in 2010 was about 40% of eligible voters. In 2014 it was around 36%. In Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, and Mississippi the percentages were less than 30%. These are low numbers even by mid-term election standards (people seem to think it's more important to vote for the president than for the people who actually make the laws). In contrast, voter turnout for the 2006 midterm election was 58%.

What study after study has shown is that conservatives vote at a significantly higher rate than do liberals. Affluent people vote at a higher rate than low-income people. Non-voters are significantly more likely to say they support universal single-payer health care, and more government services in general. Non-voters are more liberal on social issues. They are more concerned about income inequality and more likely to support higher taxes. You could say that the people who have the most to lose by not voting are less likely to vote.

Voter turnout in 2010 was about 40% of eligible voters. In 2014 it was around 36%. In Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, and Mississippi the percentages were less than 30%. These are low numbers even by mid-term election standards (people seem to think it's more important to vote for the president than for the people who actually make the laws). In contrast, voter turnout for the 2006 midterm election was 58%.

What study after study has shown is that conservatives vote at a significantly higher rate than do liberals. Affluent people vote at a higher rate than low-income people. Non-voters are significantly more likely to say they support universal single-payer health care, and more government services in general. Non-voters are more liberal on social issues. They are more concerned about income inequality and more likely to support higher taxes. You could say that the people who have the most to lose by not voting are less likely to vote.

I don't even know what elections you are talking about. I kind of thought the only other elections were local things.

Technically they are local -- your local Congress reps, for one thing. Even aside from the people that obviously represent you nationally, the smaller local elections affect things like your local schools, fire departments, business codes, etc...and the people who win smaller local elections are probably more likely to go on to compete for seats in country/state/national elections. 

5 hours ago, Trynn said:

I don't even know what elections you are talking about. I kind of thought the only other elections were local things.

In the US (because I'm not sure where you live), US representatives (congress) serve 2-year terms. US senators serve 6-year terms and approximately 1/3 of the senate is up for re-election every two years. Then, there are the state-wide elections. In most states governors serve 4-year terms, but in some states it's two years.

State legislators (representatives and senators) are going to have a direct effect on your everyday life, because they get to decide not just how much sales tax and property tax you pay and how much it will cost to go to school, whether kids will be in class sizes or 20 or 50 students, whether you will go to prison for smoking pot, or just fatten the state's coffers,  whether you drive on paved roads or dirt, and also which bathroom you get to use and whether you should be allowed to rent an apartment, be hired for a job, or make decisions about your own health.

US representatives and senators get to decide how to spend your federal tax money, as well as that of future generations. This includes, but is not limited to, how and when to go to war, which democratically elected governments in other countries need to be overthrown and which totalitarian regimes we should throw money at, whether there will still be social security and Medicare when you retire,  who deserves to pay for government services, whether those government services should exist at all. . .

Presidents get to ask congress to do certain things, which congress is under no pressure to do, and sometimes they get to appoint a supreme court justice.

It's important to vote in a presidential election. It's even more important to vote in the off-year elections.

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

In the US (because I'm not sure where you live), US representatives (congress) serve 2-year terms. US senators serve 6-year terms and approximately 1/3 of the senate is up for re-election every two years. Then, there are the state-wide elections. In most states governors serve 4-year terms, but in some states it's two years.

State legislators (representatives and senators) are going to have a direct effect on your everyday life, because they get to decide not just how much sales tax and property tax you pay and how much it will cost to go to school, whether kids will be in class sizes or 20 or 50 students, whether you will go to prison for smoking pot, or just fatten the state's coffers,  whether you drive on paved roads or dirt, and also which bathroom you get to use and whether you should be allowed to rent an apartment, be hired for a job, or make decisions about your own health.

US representatives and senators get to decide how to spend your federal tax money, as well as that of future generations. This includes, but is not limited to, how and when to go to war, which democratically elected governments in other countries need to be overthrown and which totalitarian regimes we should throw money at, whether there will still be social security and Medicare when you retire,  who deserves to pay for government services, whether those government services should exist at all. . .

Presidents get to ask congress to do certain things, which congress is under no pressure to do, and sometimes they get to appoint a supreme court justice.

It's important to vote in a presidential election. It's even more important to vote in the off-year elections.

School board elections are an extremely important one that so many people (myself included :my_sad: sometimes) tend to overlook.  

2 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

School board elections are an extremely important one that so many people (myself included :my_sad: sometimes) tend to overlook.  

Yeah. Last election, just in time, I discovered that the incumbent in our part of the district was a Liberty university graduate, young earth creationist, with a special agenda for the math and science curriculum. I had been planning to vote against the challenger who used comic sans font for all her campaign literature.

I swear the Maxwells didn't use to push specific politicians as much as they're pushing Cruz this year. They always had the standard exhortation to "vote pro-life," but I don't remember anything like this year's love-fest for Cruz. Are they that scared of a Trump vs. Hillary contest in the Fall? Is Stevehovah convinced that Cruz is his spiritual soul mate and Secretly a Maxwell?

They can't vote for Trump @DrPusey.  He is not saved, and every time he has tried to play the "See, I'm a Christian too!" card he has failed miserably.  The would never risk remaining silent while an unsaved R coasted into the WH.  Cruz is exactly the kind of theocrat they can get behind.

12 hours ago, DrPusey said:

I swear the Maxwells didn't use to push specific politicians as much as they're pushing Cruz this year. They always had the standard exhortation to "vote pro-life," but I don't remember anything like this year's love-fest for Cruz. Are they that scared of a Trump vs. Hillary contest in the Fall? Is Stevehovah convinced that Cruz is his spiritual soul mate and Secretly a Maxwell?

I don't like Ted Cruz, but maybe I will bet his daughters have for freedom than the Maxhell childult women do.

20 hours ago, Arete said:

They colt vote for Trump @DrPusey.   He is not saved, and every time he has tried to play the "See, I'm a Christian too!" card he has failed miserably.  The would never risk remaining silent while an unsaved R coasted into the WH.  Cruz is exactly the kind of theocrat they can get behind.

But Ted and Heidi Cruz went to ebil college, and Heidi isnt a stay at home mom.

Trump trolling the Christian Right has been my favorite part of his campaign.  Cruz would be as good of a choice as it gets to somebody like Stevehovah.  

• 2 weeks later...

The New York primary is tomorrow. The Maxwell's wrote about anyone being in NY should vote for Cruz. I'm in NJ I really don't think Cruz will win in NY. 

On April 9, 2016 at 11:24 AM, FloraKitty35 said:

I don't like Ted Cruz, but maybe I will bet his daughters have for freedom than the Maxhell childult women do.

I'm sure they do. In an interview they said if he wins they want Taylor Swift to come to the White House. 

I see the Maxwells blog stumpin' for Cruz, and all I ever get out of it is classic Helen Lovejoy:

1123305.gif

That aside, WOW, Drew looks exactly like Christina! What a cutie.

6 hours ago, Jana814 said:

The New York primary is tomorrow. The Maxwell's wrote about anyone being in NY should vote for Cruz. I'm in NJ I really don't think Cruz will win in NY. 

I'm sure they do. In an interview they said if he wins they want Taylor Swift to come to the White House. 

I feel like if I were TSwift and had the political views I'm safe in assuming she has, that would be such a difficult situation. She doesn't seem like she'd be a big Ted Cruz fan (seeing as she hangs out with very outspoken feminist types like Lorde and Lena Dunham, who, insufferable and loathsome as she is, is refreshingly outspoken about her feminist views), but his daughters aren't him. Do you go to the White House and get photographed next to the super misogynistic cockroach alien wearing a Ted-Suit and trying to imitate the ways of the Hoo-Man, or do you say to his daughters that you don't support their dad and can't imply support by associating with him?

Archived