IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

You just have to watch the show to find out! They will explain how they have faced many trials and been stretched to the point of exhaustion while growing in their faith. They, if allowed, will ask people to pray for them as they further minister in Central America. If that is too much for TLC there will probably be a soundbite about how they value the many prayers that people are praying while they minister to those in need. I don't expect depth from them.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should add, for the record, that no one is under any obligation to share their spiritual journey with strangers online. If they don't want to share it, though, they should just keep it personal rather than dropping vague vapid comments for the godliness points without really saying anything.

THERE WAS A PETER WIMSEY DISCUSSION ON FREE JINGER AND I MISSED IT????

Seriously, someone needs to immediately PM me whenever a Golden Age murder mystery discussion pops up on here. 

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Most likely, but that still doesn't actually tell anybody anything. How have they grown spiritually? What lessons have they learned? I feel like a lot of times the Dillards and their ilk talk about "spiritual growth" in general terms as a way to sound sufficiently godly without really having to process their experiences on a deeper level.

It probably is just a pitch for their show. What awesome missionaries! ;)

Of course it is. It was probably entirely scripted. This is the promo(tion) for their new show. they aren't going to give all the details, just entincing sound bites. Of course as soon as the show airs we'll find out that there isn't any actual meaning or depth to it. But for now that sound bite creates speculation and rumors

I wonder if they really will adopt a child over there. Maybe that's what they meant by growing? I don't know. They were probably just talking about Izzy.

I do find it strange that they weren't included on the trailer for Counting On. Jill is even in the name of the show and she wasn't there at all :/ I get that she's in "Central America" but surely she could have flown over to participate, or they could even have had a cutscene of the Dillards over there, or something. It's just a bit weird. 

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Seriously, someone needs to immediately PM me whenever a Golden Age murder mystery discussion pops up on here. 

Do you watch Miss Fisher??  Read Maisie Dobbs?  LOVE those!

Read Peter Wimsey in my teens. May have to give it another shot. Love Maisie Dobbs.

10 minutes ago, DugFan said:

Do you watch Miss Fisher??  Read Maisie Dobbs?  LOVE those!

I'm more of a Poirot/Josephine Tey/Georgette Heyer girl, but I have my first Maisie Dobbs book bought and sitting in my "to read" stack. 

I am so sad that Poirot is over. :(

Just now, nausicaa said:

I'm more of a Poirot/Josephine Tey/Georgette Heyer girl, but I have my first Maisie Dobbs book bought and sitting in my "to read" stack. 

I am so sad that Poirot is over. :(

Me too!  I actually haven't watched the last few because I'm rationing them...  Slightly out of the Golden Age, but still great:  Foyle's War and Endeavor.

Foyle's War, Morse, Lewis, Sherlock, etc. Enjoyed them all, though not Poirot. I wonder why. I read Poirot in my teens, so maybe I'll give it another shot. Still waiting for the latest Dr. Who to hit Netflix here.

21 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Foyle's War, Morse, Lewis, Sherlock, etc. Enjoyed them all, though not Poirot. I wonder why. I read Poirot in my teens, so maybe I'll give it another shot. Still waiting for the latest Dr. Who to hit Netflix here.

Poirot is arrogant, condescending and has a hang-up about being a foreigner. He is smart but extremely annoying and lacks any type of charm. Love Lewis, Morse and Sherlock. 

10 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Poirot is arrogant, condescending and has a hang-up about being a foreigner. He is smart but extremely annoying and lacks any type of charm. Love Lewis, Morse and Sherlock. 

Where are you located? I am sad that Doctor Who was taken off of Netflix here. I heard it may come to amazon prime but who knows.

21 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Where are you located? I am sad that Doctor Who was taken off of Netflix here. I heard it may come to amazon prime but who knows.

I am in California. I watch the shows on PBS. I was never a Dr. Who fan because it confused me but it comes on BBC here. PBS and BBC show a lot of great British shows. I love Vera, Whitechapel and Father Brown. 

I don't have Netflix and have never used my Amazon Prime for anything  other than free shipping. I do have about 600 cable stations so I can find pretty much anything. 

I didn't realize the'd taken away Dr. Who. I am officially devastated. I remember the very first one when I was in England. (Yes, I am that old.) I loved David Tennant, Christopher Eccleston and Matt Smith. Never very sure about Peter Capaldi. My grandson and I used to watch it together.

I'd better watch Torchwood again before they take it away. :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying:

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

I wonder if they really will adopt a child over there. Maybe that's what they meant by growing? I don't know. They were probably just talking about Izzy.

It's possible, but I remain skeptical they're adopting. If they're really in El Salvador as rumored, the adoption process would take two to three years. (If they're still in Guatemala, adoption would not be possible at all.) Maybe I'm underestimating them, but it's hard for me to imagine Jill and Derick committing to a process that would take that long, especially when they could cook up another biological baby in nine months. The Dillards do not have a good track record with long-term commitments - Jill's midwifery school, Derick's Walmart job, their "missionary career" that will be over in a few months and involves frequent trips home, etc. I just don't see them having the attention span to pursue an actual adoption, even if they have a fantasy of what it would be like.

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

I am in California. I watch the shows on PBS. I was never a Dr. Who fan because it confused me but it comes on BBC here. PBS and BBC show a lot of great British shows. I love Vera, Whitechapel and Father Brown. 

I don't have Netflix and have never used my Amazon Prime for anything  other than free shipping. I do have about 600 cable stations so I can find pretty much anything. 

Oops...I meant to ask Bad Wolf the Netflix question.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I didn't realize the'd taken away Dr. Who. I am officially devastated. I remember the very first one when I was in England. (Yes, I am that old.) I loved David Tennant, Christopher Eccleston and Matt Smith. Never very sure about Peter Capaldi. My grandson and I used to watch it together.

I'd better watch Torchwood again before they take it away. :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying:

My husband likes old Doctor Who. He watched it as a kid (reruns on PBS or something, I think.) I never got into the old ones. But I love the reboot. I hope Amazon Primes gets it at least. There was some announcement on Twitter or something from them saying it was coming in March. But it was deleted. And it hasn't shown up so who knows.

I love Torchwood too. :)

None of them are going to adopt. They will sit and pray and talk about on TV because none of them are serious about the complicated process of adoption. And I'm glad they won't adopt because no one needs another mind corrupted.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I enjoy the Poirot stories more than I enjoy the film series, but I have been watching it on Netflix.  It relaxes me.  I do not like the tv versions of Miss Marple or Tommy & Tuppence.  Loved Inspector Morse, now watching Vera (like that a lot) and re-watching Prime Suspect.  Downloaded Whose Body? and Clouds of Witness and am home sick with a nasty cold, so enjoying the narration version of Whose Body right now.

I recently watched both Miss Fisher and Foyle's War. I've currently got my fingers crossed that they make another season of Miss Fisher. Would love to see how Dot and Hugh get on!

1 hour ago, season of life said:

None of them are going to adopt. They will sit and pray and talk about on TV because none of them are serious about the complicated process of adoption. And I'm glad they won't adopt because no one needs another mind corrupted.

I don't think any of them actually intend to adopt. It was part of their image clean up or they thought it would sound good to others. I am not sure either Jessa or Jill could even get through all the paperwork needed to adopt. Plus, when will they squeeze in an adoption when they keep producing their own spawns?

I think Miss Jill LOVED the attention of being pregnant and that is why she likes to throw that "hint" out there that her family is growing. If she is not pregnant yet, I fear she is starting to panic. Izzy is heading towards a year old and I am sure she thought should have #2 well on the way by this time. I have never understood the panic of not being pregnant at that point in life. Anna was horribly depressed because she wasn't pregnant by the time they got in the car for their honeymoon. What about spending just a little while with your spouse that you know absolutely nothing about first?

43 minutes ago, sta_sha said:

I recently watched both Miss Fisher and Foyle's War. I've currently got my fingers crossed that they make another season of Miss Fisher. Would love to see how Dot and Hugh get on!

Dot and Hugh are so cute together!

The last thing they did for MF was a Christmas Special that was rubbish - otherwise the series have been wonderful!

8 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Don't know about Golden Age, but the Wimsey thread is tentatively going in the new "Quiverful of Words" section.  If you want to try, post something about Golden Age.  I have been toying with starting a JDRobb or a Sister Frevise/Joliffe the Player thread.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived