IGNORED

Bates Family Part 11

Coconut Flan

10 hours ago, umsami said:

I wonder if the decorating schemes are taught at Journey to the Heart or something.  It seems like a lot of IBLP newlyweds have similar taste.   Does creepy Uncle Bill specify how one's martial home should look like as well?  Is it a long curly hair type thing that I missed? 

Not in particular. I think there's mention about colours and moods. Everything ATI is like a rainbow-and-smile infused - music has to be triumphant and positive (never in a minor key), everyone has to be smile and be super "gracious" and polite all the time (like the baby voice). I think they talked somewhere in some book about the effect colours have on mood.

Someone I know puts it this way: they eat rainbows and shit jellybeans.

One huge rule is definitely nothing Eastern, like no Thai-style decorations and definitely nothing religious. There's a section in the Basic Seminar that's about how harmful non-Christian religious deco is because of evil spirits. 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

For me, Chad is the classic example of a decent enough looking guy who gets elevated to OMG REALLY HOT status on the back of his personality. 

Seeing him be so wonderful with Erin and Carson takes him from a solid and above average 7.5/8 to an 11. 

This is nothing personal (really!), but it gets me severely angry if people rate people's looks among a scale. It's not only shallow, it's also inappropriate and highly subjective. Who is attractive and who's not depends on an individual's personal taste and preferences. 

12 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

This is nothing personal (really!), but it gets me severely angry if people rate people's looks among a scale. It's not only shallow, it's also inappropriate and highly subjective. Who is attractive and who's not depends on an individual's personal taste and preferences. 

I don't walk around "rating" every guy I see around or anything, but in this context, it was an easy way to explain what I meant because where I come from "s/he's an 11/10" is a very common way for younger people to say they find someone really attractive. No disrespect was intended. 

I do agree that personal taste is very much a thing. For me, if I saw Chad walking down the street, I'd think he is an above average looking guy but someone else is likely to have a different opinion.  And for better or for worse, people do notice people's looks.

According to Instagram, Alyssa, John & Allie are back in TN for a visit--right after Carlin & Josie visited them (perhaps they drove up from Florida together). 

What are they there for? Weren't they there last month for I Love You Day?

Perhaps filming a baby  sex reveal party for Chad & Erin? Or Zach & Whit even though the reveal has already happened?  A courtship or engagement announcement for Nathan?

I just hope hope hope it isn't a pregnancy announcement for Alyssa.

17 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

According to Instagram, Alyssa, John & Allie are back in TN for a visit--right after Carlin & Josie visited them (perhaps they drove up from Florida together). 

Perhaps filming a baby  sex reveal party for Chad & Erin? Or Zach & Whit even though the reveal has already happened?  A courtship or engagement announcement for Nathan?

If she is, she's in the very early stages, and Alyssa just doesn't seem like the type to announce to her family so early. I suppose it's possible, but with so many family members, it's also likely that it's someone else's announcement for something else.

I hope it's finally for the courtship announcement because I need to know if it has ended or if they've become more secretive than ever.

6 hours ago, Bretta said:

Not in particular. I think there's mention about colours and moods. Everything ATI is like a rainbow-and-smile infused - music has to be triumphant and positive (never in a minor key), everyone has to be smile and be super "gracious" and polite all the time (like the baby voice). I think they talked somewhere in some book about the effect colours have on mood.

Someone I know puts it this way: they eat rainbows and shit jellybeans.

One huge rule is definitely nothing Eastern, like no Thai-style decorations and definitely nothing religious. There's a section in the Basic Seminar that's about how harmful non-Christian religious deco is because of evil spirits. 

I love how godly aesthetics just happen to align straight with Western aesthetics - in particular, Midwest and Southern American aesthetics. 

And how anything outside of that, particular from the East, is considered evil. 

Funny how that works out. 

I have to confess to having a certain fondness for that frilly/pink/floral shabby chic stuff, and I'm not usually a very "girly" type. For years I've been telling myself that someday I'm going to decorate my bedroom with that sort of stuff. I might have been just a little jealous of Chad and Erin's extremely pink room. 

Maybe Alyssa and John brought the girls back home after their visit.  It does seem like they have been traveling back to TN a lot lately. 

I just watched the beach vacation show.  I thought the Bates modest swimwear was so much better than what the Duggar wear, girls and boys.    It really appears that Kelly and Gil have relaxed the clothing rules and are allowing sleeveless more often.  Carlin was sleeveless at her aunts wedding last summer and also at the beach in her modest wear. 

Interesting how nearly every picture of Alyssa's Allie Jane shows the baby wearing leggings or pants of some sort, and sometimes with a blouse-y top, but often just a t-shirt.  So basically her baby is wearing pants nearly every day.  Considering Bradley and Carson are boys and wouldn't be doing the baby dress + leggings thing anyway, it will be interesting to see if Whitney's Kaci Lynn as the next granddaughter will be in dresses constantly, and if she will bedecked with headband/bows/flowers on her head ala Allie every day.

Bedroom decor: I always felt sorry for my dad, stuck with that silly pink, floral, lacy crap. I hated it then and I hate it now. Hubs and I go for more of a water meets southwest look...vibrant colors, blues, reds, natural woods, mostly pine (because I can't afford oak). We had one house where the walls were white and all the wood/trim was a dark stain...it was fantastic, I LOVED it (well, it didn't hurt that the kitchen was to DIE for and there was a pool in the backyard)...but it suited us. Our apartment has the typical white walls, but we spice it up with lots of colors...the southwest sort of colors. We DO live in the desert, but we loved those colors even when we lived near the ocean. The colors tend to energize me...I can't handle the pastel thing. 

Maybe Alyssa and John brought the girls back home after their visit.  It does seem like they have been traveling back to TN a lot lately. 

I just watched the beach vacation show.  I thought the Bates modest swimwear was so much better than what the Duggar wear, girls and boys.    It really appears that Kelly and Gil have relaxed the clothing rules and are allowing sleeveless more often.  Carlin was sleeveless at her aunts wedding last summer and also at the beach in her modest wear. 

I noticed on the first day that Josie and Carlin were wearing just a regular skirt, shirt and some sort of halter neck swimsuit underneath. Which is very surprising! In a good way! It's so odd to me that even married Jill Dillard wears the ugly Modesty Wear dresses whip she swims. Even Jessa has some more sense and will wear shorts and a tank top.

30 minutes ago, Snarkle said:

Interesting how nearly every picture of Alyssa's Allie Jane shows the baby wearing leggings or pants of some sort, and sometimes with a blouse-y top, but often just a t-shirt.  So basically her baby is wearing pants nearly every day.  Considering Bradley and Carson are boys and wouldn't be doing the baby dress + leggings thing anyway, it will be interesting to see if Whitney's Kaci Lynn as the next granddaughter will be in dresses constantly, and if she will bedecked with headband/bows/flowers on her head ala Allie every day.

If Carson has a little sister, I think she'll be dressed very frilly.  And the headflowers will be massive.

My niece is 3, and flat out refuses to wear pants.  She wore mostly leggings (as pants) when was younger but as she's been able to vice her opinion about clothes, she does.  The frillier the better (she's lucky tulle and tutu style skirts are in style for that age group).  Luckily she really likes the cat dresses and skirts that her aunt gives her.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:29 PM, J'Lurker said:

I definitely use my headship as a scapegoat when I don't want to do something, but also don't feel like being the bad guy right then. It's not the most emotionally mature route, but it can be effective. Clearly it didn't work for Michael, but she's definitely used to not being listened to by the Bateseses and probably thought they'd respect Brandon more. 

My ex was more than willing to let me use him as a scapegoat to my family if I needed to as well... Sometimes it made him look like the bad guy, but it was easier for me to say "he said no" than to stand up to my family at times.

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

If Carson has a little sister, I think she'll be dressed very frilly.  And the headflowers will be massive.

My niece is 3, and flat out refuses to wear pants.  She wore mostly leggings (as pants) when was younger but as she's been able to vice her opinion about clothes, she does.  The frillier the better (she's lucky tulle and tutu style skirts are in style for that age group).  Luckily she really likes the cat dresses and skirts that her aunt gives her.

I had the same attitude towards pants of any type when I was little. Apparently I drove my mother mad by refusing to wear pants (even in -40 weather) until l was almost 10... Even now, I much prefer dresses and skirts, although I have gotten over the fixation with frills and ruffles ;) if they had made leggings and tutus for the small fry when I was one, I would have been in heaven! Cat dresses/skirts? Runs to Google. Mind blown. I think I want/need some of those for myself!

@Kittikatz first of all I love your screen name.  Most of the cat clothes I buy are in toddler sizes (H&M has a good selection and prices) but if I find things in my size I buy them.  

My latest obsession is this (fundie approved) skirt  (I have it)

http://www.amazon.com/Persun-Women-Black-Cartoon-Skater/dp/B013WKQ058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457310920&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+skirt+women

I am drooling over this

http://www.amazon.com/Sidecca-Silhouette-Pattern-Fold-Dress-Jade-Medium/dp/B01BXBK6E4/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1457311196&sr=8-16&keywords=cat+dress+women

@19 cats and counting I love both of those. Am going to have to dig out a credit card and expand my wardrobe - the skirt esp is callingmy name :D

Update: just died and went to grumpy cat skirt heaven:

http://www.amazon.ca/Ninimour-Womens-Printed-Pleated-Princess/dp/B01968PE8Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457315717&sr=8-2&keywords=Cat+skirt+women

The skirt says one size fits all but it runs small.  Just a FYI on it (I believe the reviews reflect it).  I'm a size S-M in most sizes and would say I'm at the upper limit for it.  

I want everything kitty related.  Crazy cat lady and proud of it.

On 3/5/2016 at 6:04 PM, MissBitters said:

I don't mind the pink, but the Ten Commandments in the bedroom is a little too weird for me.

Yep.

Although the bathroom would be equally wierd.

33 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Yep.

Although the bathroom would be equally wierd.

Ha. "Thou shalt not piddle on the siddle, lest thy booty become grooty..."

9 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

My daughter only wears leggings or "tights pants" as she calls them and sometimes I force her to wear sweatpants but jeans are totally out. "No hard pants!!!" is what I will hear if I try to convince her to wear them. Skirts and dresses without leggings are a no no, the same way going outside in summer without a hat is vetoed. I am not that much of an "obey or else" parent but this is one of the points that I am prepared to fight for. 

19 hours ago, HereticHick said:

That's a gorgeous photo. I love Alyssa's wedges.

On 3/6/2016 at 11:29 PM, colors_outside15 said:

Haha - that's why I watched it too. Alyssa hasn't been on this season, which makes sense because she seems to have been over her family for years in many different ways. I LOVED that Alyssa made sure Allie was okay first before getting Carlin paper towel or whatever to clean off her arm. Alyssa didn't freak out about the spit-up, and she was snuggly with Allie, which I thought was super cute. She seems like a confident mom, who loves her "pumpkin", and while it was only a two minute clip, the mother/daughter dynamic there looked healthy and happy. I liked being able to see the other changes too - this wasn't organized/cooking Alyssa who was worried about getting a perfect meal together for the whole huge crew. She gave some tips to her sisters about what to put into the cart, but seemed really content to just be with Allie (and John). I don't see Alyssa having eleventy children. Whatever ends up happening, happens, but for now, I give Alyssa major props for being over her family while being respectful as well as remaining close with Jane and Josie, standing up to people on social media, making her own fashion choices, having close friends outside of her family, and setting up an environment that works for her and her husband. Less than two years ago she was being dictated around by daddy. Now, she seems healthy and happy. Those are some big steps! 

I see a lot of my own personality in Alyssa, especially low-tolerance for bullshit, chaos, and overbearing family members, lol. I absolutely see her stopping at three kids max.

7 hours ago, elliha said:

My daughter only wears leggings or "tights pants" as she calls them and sometimes I force her to wear sweatpants but jeans are totally out. "No hard pants!!!" is what I will hear if I try to convince her to wear them. Skirts and dresses without leggings are a no no, the same way going outside in summer without a hat is vetoed. I am not that much of an "obey or else" parent but this is one of the points that I am prepared to fight for. 

My jeans-hating daughter is nearly 13, and STILL prefers leggings to jeans.  And so funny that your daughter calls jeans "hard pants," because my 5-year-old son refers to non-jeans pants (athletic pants, sweat pants) as "soft pants."  Much to his construction worker father's dismay, he prefers his "soft pants" to jeans, too.

Jeans are a nightmare for me personally. I am 5' so even if I buy the smallest size in the juniors department they still typically would need to be shortened so they don't drag on the ground. Also because my feet rarely touch the ground in a chair it is far more comfortable for me to cross my legs (plus my mother ingrained it in my head to always have them crossed) these two facts alone my jeans really uncomfortable for me.

I wear lots of leggings and dresses but for an occasion where I need jeans I always buy from a thrift store. Someone else has already stretched them out so they are comfortable for me and I don't feel terrible for DYIing the hem sense I botch it 2/3 of the time. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived