IGNORED

Bates Family Part 11

Coconut Flan

I shed a tear every day for the chafed and rashy thighs of fundie women everywhere; shorts in saltwater will EFF YOU UP.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

John & Alyssa must have stayed in a hotel while visiting TN this weekend (I doubt anyone's house has carpet like this). And look at Miss Allie rocking the sequins!

Books.  Allie is being read to with age appropriate picture books.  One of the greatest gifts you can give a child is a love of learning and one of the best ways to do that is too start reading to them young.  I'm not naive to think it will be sustained and translate to a good education but it's a start.

Gil's collection of white turtlenecks is really giving Jichelle's green shirt collection a run for the money...

5 hours ago, Luisainlondon1 said:

I remember the one photo of Erin and Michaella in front of TTH. I think it was when the Bates and the Duggars went to Silver Dollar City. They looked ridiculous. Kelly said Michaella made the dresses the girls love to dress in matching colors. I just felt sorry for them. Even the Duggars were dressing more modern back then. 

They had the whole Bates clan lined up in front of the TTH in their frumpers and there was a screaming sound effect as the camera panned in on them. Like they were the Addams Family or something. It was pretty funny.

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

I shed a tear every day for the chafed and rashy thighs of fundie women everywhere; shorts in saltwater will EFF YOU UP.

I wonder if they wear bike shorts type things under to prevent chafing.

9 hours ago, Ursula said:

Some of the Bateseseses definitely dye their hair.  OBSERVE:

avaginaisnotaclowncar.jpg.89341d672b19b7

This frumperific family pic from about 7-8 years ago (the three youngest spawn hadn't been born yet) clearly shows both Alyssa AND Erin with brown hair....which is why I don't understand the fam damily giving Alyssa a difficult time about her dying her hair brown during Girl Michael's wedding as that's clearly much closer to her natural colour (which is...you know...BROWN) than blonde is (I did not see the episode though so maybe people are exaggerating how they reacted, I dunno).

God I love these old pics of fundy families in their frumpers.  How come none of them dress this ridiculous anymore?

1. Sassy Carlin was always sassy. I doubt it's just teenage years.

2. Josie has gotten so pretty.

3. Gils genes are sooooooooooooo fucking strong. 

4. Most important, I doubt Lawson wants anyone to see this picture.

13 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

1. Sassy Carlin was always sassy. I doubt it's just teenage years.

2. Josie has gotten so pretty.

3. Gils genes are sooooooooooooo fucking strong. 

4. Most important, I doubt Lawson wants anyone to see this picture.

WTH! Why does Erin looks like she just stepped out of a time machine from the victorian era and ended up in this weird family photo?? 

Ew Lawson, puberty was not kind to you. 

2 hours ago, Snarkle said:

holey moley!  TFDW is *so* pasty-white.

Oh my God, I hate those "pray for a politician's campaign" things. Ted Cruz is fine. He is not dangerously ill or declaring bankruptcy. Why on earth would he need YOUR prayers, David? 

I wonder if Michael will go back to more of the frumper style.  She seemed happier with it, and she's always struck me as slightly uncomfortable in the new "modest modern" style they adopted.  

26 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I wonder if Michael will go back to more of the frumper style.  She seemed happier with it, and she's always struck me as slightly uncomfortable in the new "modest modern" style they adopted.  

Considering her wedding dress was not from the Hanes t-shirt collection, I doubt it.  She has a few dresses she wears on a regular basis and looks good in them.

Question is will her kids?  Will their first daughter wear hand me down handmade frumpers from her aunts?

8 hours ago, Luisainlondon1 said:

I remember the one photo of Erin and Michaella in front of TTH. I think it was when the Bates and the Duggars went to Silver Dollar City. They looked ridiculous. Kelly said Michaella made the dresses the girls love to dress in matching colors. I just felt sorry for them. Even the Duggars were dressing more modern back then. 

I think that was the episode where they went to Silver Dollar City and were watching a woman in a frilly frumper making taffy or fudge. Cousin Amy pointed out that the woman was wearing clothing that people wore a hundred years ago...and that the Bates still wear.  Erin shot her a poisonous look.

One of the best moments ever.

12 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I think that was the episode where they went to Silver Dollar City and were watching a woman in a frilly frumper making taffy or fudge. Cousin Amy pointed out that the woman was wearing clothing that people wore a hundred years ago...and that the Bates still wear.  Erin shot her a poisonous look.

I love Amy. Simply because she has no filter and exactly zero fucks to give. :pb_lol:

In unrelated news (and to go back to the clothing debate), it's warm enough for me to wear maxi skirts now. I may or may not have done a secret happy dance over this - jeans are always so unflattering and uncomfortable on me. :dance:

5 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

The Bates' style has definately changed over the years, but why does everyone think it is deviously planned (to look normal) versus just their styles changing?  I know that if you looked at my clothing choices from the 80s and 90s vs. today you would see a huge change... and for no other reason than my style changed.  15 years ago a lot of fundies wore frumpers. They were in style for their social groups.  Now they wear maxi skirts and scarves.  I see nothing more than styles evolving among one particular group of peers.  I doubt they are trying to look 'mainstream' as much as just trying to fit in with their peers just as the rest of us do.  

I think their social group was running behind the times. I grew up decidedly not fundy and we had lots of homemade dresses very similar to these with horrible farm prints and a dress for every  single holiday  including stuff like St  Patrick's Day.  This was the late 80's and early 90's. Horrifying  to look back on, but we loved them then. I thought I was very cool.

20 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I was only going by what I read years ago. Erin's hair did seem to be a more natural blonde back then.

Erin has the same hair color situation as me: it was a nice medium blonde that darkened over the years, until it settled on that awkward shade of dark blonde (not quite blonde, not quite light brown) that you just have to something with or you look drab and washed out (unless you like to wear a shit ton of make-up, which I do not). Depending on skin tone, eye color, and overall hair texture, some look better better by coloring it darker, while on others it is more flattering to go lighter. I tried light brown for a while, but it just didn't suit me for some reason; it just wasn't "me". Plus I have blonde lashes and brows, so medium blonde looks more natural on me than trying to pull off brown.

30 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Now that we know some of the older Bates girls are quite into fashion and styling I wonder if all were not happy behind the scenes with those tablecloth turned prairie girl dresses. Even for prairie dresses they were bad, with neon colors, giant collars, and they wore them with trainers. I wonder If Michael, being a seamstress and seemingly not that into fashion, had the idea, and Kelly liked it for practical reasons. I'm seeing Erin and Alyssa as less than enthusiastic about the plan.

I'd love for them to reminisce about those dresses on BuB and get a little more insight into their true feelings.

2011 Bates family portrait 

Spoiler

ht_gil_bates_family_thg_111114_wmain.jpg

2014 Bates picture. 

the-bates-family.jpg

I love the colors they used for this shot. Also note Erin's light colored hair and Alyssa darker hair. 

This gem is from 2015. 

bates1.jpg

I sort of like the orange dress, it's at least bright and colorful. I just want to point out how much Alyssa stands out with the bright orange cardigan. 

Whitney's hair after Bradley's birth.

25858_zps167c7802.jpg

She has about an inch of dark dark brown, then the rest of her hair is a medium brown.  

I don't know where this picture is from but Whitney has definitely dyed her hair. 

bates.jpg

Also note Alyssa dark roots and Erin's hair looks darker. 

The ones with the loud dresses (blue/green and orange/green) have to be from 2013 or before.  By New Years 2014, two Bates kids were married and there are no spouses in the pic.  I would assume that once married, the spouse joins the pic.  

Also their youngest was born in 2012, and I'm guessing that he's not yet 1 in those pics. 

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

Since I always harp on Tori, Carlin, and Josie for rudeness, I'll be fair here.  I'm with Erin.  That was an INCREDIBLY rude thing to say, especially since the dresses were handmade by Michael and the girls were likely wearing them in part for her.  I mean, I'm sure it was for the show or whatever, but still.  I would have done more than just glare.  

58 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

Erin has the same hair color situation as me: it was a nice medium blonde that darkened over the years, until it settled on that awkward shade of dark blonde (not quite blonde, not quite light brown) that you just have to something with or you look drab and washed out (unless you like to wear a shit ton of make-up, which I do not). Depending on skin tone, eye color, and overall hair texture, some look better better by coloring it darker, while on others it is more flattering to go lighter. I tried light brown for a while, but it just didn't suit me for some reason; it just wasn't "me". Plus I have blonde lashes and brows, so medium blonde looks more natural on me than trying to pull off brown.

I have this problem too...sucks!

I notice in all of them Michael has lost a bit of weight since courting and her hair is straight now. I wonder if she used to perm her hair or if it was naturally straight?

According to the bates page they just announced name and Gender of Erin and Chad's next baby on a video

Brooklynn Elise.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived