IGNORED

Bates Family Part 11

Coconut Flan

16 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

haha thanks! i have to admit this site often makes me yearn to play the sims...that may even be where my fascination with mega families began!

Me too, sometimes I want a big family and then I remember trying to complete the 10 kids wish on Sims with no cheats and I am like nahh  one or two is fine. 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

Me too, sometimes I want a big family and then I remember trying to complete the 10 kids wish on Sims with no cheats and I am like nahh  one or two is fine. 

In TS4 having children doesn't pop up as a wish (only Try for Baby does) and the big family aspiration is a pain to fulfill -- I think it only requires 5 kids though. But since there aren't toddlers, big families aren't as realistic or fun. 

Whatever version of the Sims, though, I have trouble keeping track of more than 3 or 4 kids.

3 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

as far as she knows.  

There is zero chance Erin doesn't highlight her hair.  

I was only going by what I read years ago. Erin's hair did seem to be a more natural blonde back then.

1 hour ago, Tomboy said:

I wondered if Kelly colors her hair, I don't think I've ever spotted a gray hair.

She has some greys around her ears.

8 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

I was only going by what I read years ago. Erin's hair did seem to be a more natural blonde back then.

She has some greys around her ears.

You can tell she colors her hair because her roots are a shade or two lighter than the rest of her hair.  I'm quite familiar with this, as I have been covering my gray hair since I was 17; premature gray runs in both sides of my family.  I'm a natural dark brunette and box color always leaves my roots noticeably lighter, usually a more reddish shade than my natural color.  Now that I shell out the big bucks to maintain my hair, in a light blondish/brown, I don't have this problem.  But my hair dresser flat out told me that gray hair accepts color differently than than non-gray hair and it has more problems accepting darker shades than lighter ones.  

5 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Someone asked Kelly on her blog years ago (when Erin and Chad were in the early stages of their relationship) if Erin coloured her hair. Kelly said something along the lines of her not dying it, but using sun-in and I'm sure she said that's all she lets her kids use.

Sun In! I remember that stuff. It does few interesting color "enhancements" to hair, but I'm pretty sure that nice, perfect blond Erin has isn't one of them. :pb_smile:

I see a lot of people comment that they had not great experiences with Sun In. I actually still use it. My hair is naturally medium to dark blonde and if I use the stuff it does what it says. I get blonde highlights. I've always loved it. I can see how it might not work on all colors.

What is the source for Nathan's special announcement?  I haven't seen it on blogs, instagram, etc?

I had no idea they used Sun in! I used that stuff a few years in middle school it turned out terrible. I not sure what I was expecting but it basically turned my dark brown hair into a dark red head. 

Thank you everyone for the answers! I haven't watched very long only started in Season 3 so I see only the most recent stuff. 

Some of the Bateseseses definitely dye their hair.  OBSERVE:

avaginaisnotaclowncar.jpg.89341d672b19b7

This frumperific family pic from about 7-8 years ago (the three youngest spawn hadn't been born yet) clearly shows both Alyssa AND Erin with brown hair....which is why I don't understand the fam damily giving Alyssa a difficult time about her dying her hair brown during Girl Michael's wedding as that's clearly much closer to her natural colour (which is...you know...BROWN) than blonde is (I did not see the episode though so maybe people are exaggerating how they reacted, I dunno).

God I love these old pics of fundy families in their frumpers.  How come none of them dress this ridiculous anymore?

Is it just me or is Gil's facial expression in that photo terrifying?  Ugh that is going to haunt my dreams tonight. (Mind-vomiting at the thought I might dream of Gil Bates leering at me.)

I remember the one photo of Erin and Michaella in front of TTH. I think it was when the Bates and the Duggars went to Silver Dollar City. They looked ridiculous. Kelly said Michaella made the dresses the girls love to dress in matching colors. I just felt sorry for them. Even the Duggars were dressing more modern back then. 

3 hours ago, Ursula said:

Some of the Bateseseses definitely dye their hair.  OBSERVE:

avaginaisnotaclowncar.jpg.89341d672b19b7

This frumperific family pic from about 7-8 years ago (the three youngest spawn hadn't been born yet) clearly shows both Alyssa AND Erin with brown hair....which is why I don't understand the fam damily giving Alyssa a difficult time about her dying her hair brown during Girl Michael's wedding as that's clearly much closer to her natural colour (which is...you know...BROWN) than blonde is (I did not see the episode though so maybe people are exaggerating how they reacted, I dunno).

God I love these old pics of fundy families in their frumpers.  How come none of them dress this ridiculous anymore?

Is that a TEDDY BEAR on Michael's top/frumper??!?

Oh lordy, their fashion sense has come a long way.

I still think that makeover Michelle had would've been better used on Kelly. Nothing wrong with her hair, but I'm sure she would've loved a new look.

53 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

Is that a TEDDY BEAR on Michael's top/frumper??!?

I believe it is!! She has to have been what, 18 or 19 in this pic? Shows how sheltered they are, 18-19 year old me would not have been caught dead in a teddy bear top.

6 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

Oh lordy, their fashion sense has come a long way.

I still think that makeover Michelle had would've been better used on Kelly. Nothing wrong with her hair, but I'm sure she would've loved a new look.

I agree, Kelly Jo at least looks as though she is living in this millennium. It appears she is better at accepting change than Michelle.

2 hours ago, Apricot said:

I have no clue who is who in that photograph.  My Bates recognition skills are obviously lacking,

I'm gonna try my hand at it. Please correct any mistakes I make. ;)

The back row is (left to right) Zach, Michael, Erin, Alyssa, Nathan, then the next row is Lawson, Carlin, Kelly with Addallee, Gil with Ellie, Tori and the front row would be Warden, Isaiah,Katie, Josie, Jackson, Trace.

5 hours ago, Ursula said:

I think it's because the new approach the cult is taking is to try to look as normal and mainstream as possible. 

1 hour ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I believe it is!! She has to have been what, 18 or 19 in this pic? Shows how sheltered they are, 18-19 year old me would not have been caught dead in a teddy bear top.

I agree, Kelly Jo at least looks as though she is living in this millennium. It appears she is better at accepting change than Michelle.

Gil probably would've reacted better to the makeover better than Jim Bob too. I think part of the reason Michelle wasn't thrilled about the change was because of  Jim Bob. He is determined to keep her in the 1980s style-wise.  Gil is grifting schmuck, but I do like his and Kelly's relationship better, and I believe he wouldn't feel threatened by any changes she might make in clothing or hair.

John & Alyssa must have stayed in a hotel while visiting TN this weekend (I doubt anyone's house has carpet like this). And look at Miss Allie rocking the sequins!

A few pages back the Bateseses better choices for swimming attire was mentioned.  Not sure what the Waller family's specific standards for swimming wear is, but it seems like those are a LOT of layers on David's sisters...

This is also why I could never be a fundie.  I get too warm in hot weather, and all of the layers they wear would cause me to have heat stroke (which I actually suffered from once - not recommended).

Oh, and shocking - David supports Cruz.

The Bates' style has definately changed over the years, but why does everyone think it is deviously planned (to look normal) versus just their styles changing?  I know that if you looked at my clothing choices from the 80s and 90s vs. today you would see a huge change... and for no other reason than my style changed.  15 years ago a lot of fundies wore frumpers. They were in style for their social groups.  Now they wear maxi skirts and scarves.  I see nothing more than styles evolving among one particular group of peers.  I doubt they are trying to look 'mainstream' as much as just trying to fit in with their peers just as the rest of us do.  

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived