IGNORED

Counting On Season One

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, WhyNotJulie said:

Josiah, who briefly courted Marjorie Jackson during spring and summer of 2015, shares why that relationship ended. "We were just trying to follow God's lead on everything," he tells PEOPLEexclusively. "She didn't feel that it was the right timing then, so we called it quits for a bit."

What he really means is "Marjorie saw that I have a show again so came running back."

I just saw they're going to be on GMA on Monday to talk about the show.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

What he really means is "Marjorie saw that I have a show again so came running back."

I just saw they're going to be on GMA on Monday to talk about the show.

Ugh, why does GMA keep enabling them?

9 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Watching the 10 minute preview now......Ben is explaining how much Charles Spurgeon mean to his life and Jessa's life.

Jinger doing first family photo shoot of the Seewald family.

Ben talking about changes in the family since baby

Jessa, talking about having to change diapers and not going "here mom" and handing the baby off (as if)

Ben: It's good for me (to be a father)

Now in CA with J&D. Same clips in language school. Derrick preaches 2/week

Izzy looking cute. Big messy kitchen. Messy bedroom, and messy guest bedroom.  Hangs clothes on clothesline to dry.

Baby Seewald sneezes, Jessa says he has a cold and it makes her nervous.

Ben and rapping

Building a treehouse

Girls at spa, Anna questioning Joy about what kind of guy she is looking for

Jessa...we miss J&D yada, yada, yada

whew....that was riveting.....NOT!

ETA: Jill: We are trying to ADOPT to life in the mission field.

Derrick preaches in "a couple different locations" and "at a church that is already here and out in the community"

It shows Derrick talking with locals pointing out something in the bible (Jill was talking in a voice over, so I have no clue in what language. Most of the people were women.

Maybe charles Spurgeon is their new leader? A cult perhaps.

what did he practice? Now I have to read up on him

and did they decide together randomly to start to believe a new guy or what?

and it's good for Ben to be a father? Well what else will a 20 year old father say? It's his meal ticket for this damn show.

37 minutes ago, nst said:

Maybe charles Spurgeon is their new leader? A cult perhaps.

what did he practice? Now I have to read up on him

and did they decide together randomly to start to believe a new guy or what?

I doubt that anyone in that family, even Ben, has really read Spurgeon--or understood more than the "best quotes."  

Best Charles Spurgeon Quotes

image.jpeg

I think they should take Jessa and Jill out of the title if the show is about all of the older kids. The title makes no sense now.

I think Ben has probably liked Charles Spurgeon for a long time. You can tell he almost hesitates when he says they both were influenced by him. I think it's pretty clear Jessa didn't even know who he was until Ben came along.

5 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I think they should take Jessa and Jill out of the title if the show is about all of the older kids. The title makes no sense now.

I think Ben has probably liked Charles Spurgeon for a long time. You can tell he almost hesitates when he says they both were influenced by him. I think it's pretty clear Jessa didn't even know who he was until Ben came along.

Yeah, the title doesn't make a lot of sense -- but if they're sticking with the "marrieds" (minus Josh, for obvious reasons -- and the daughters are more appealing) as the leaders of the next generation ("counting on") then maybe they'll just add names as that happens. The Duggars: Counting On would make more sense, but doesn't set itself apart enough from 19 Kids and Counting. And The J-Kidults doesn't have quite the right ring.

2 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I doubt that anyone in that family, even Ben, has really read Spurgeon--or understood more than the "best quotes."  

Best Charles Spurgeon Quotes

image.jpeg

Read those quotes and I think I can come up with some of my own that would be just as interesting...ummm anyone want to join my cult..erm Church of the Pauly Pepper?

On 09/03/2016 at 10:54 PM, CyborgKin said:

I think it's called a 'cowpat'.

Consider this comment my next fourteen thousand likes :my_biggrin:

Well played.

Jinger saw how much money her brothers were making and wanted in on that?  Yeah, I don't see her doing any more than being allowed to answer phones and taking care of the paperwork which is what Anna did before M1 came along.  Maybe they let her do a pitch to a woman that comes in alone though. They were probably told to come up with careers for the filming and picked this one for Jinger.  Why go with one that actually makes sense like photography?

Get that $$$, Jinger (though I'm hating the repeated narrative of the girls only getting jobs that are unpaid, like volunteer work, or part of the family business, so as to keep them as disenfranchised and financially reliant on JB as possible; fuck aaaaall that.)

31 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Jinger saw how much money her brothers were making and wanted in on that?  Yeah, I don't see her doing any more than being allowed to answer phones and taking care of the paperwork which is what Anna did before M1 came along.  Maybe they let her do a pitch to a woman that comes in alone though. They were probably told to come up with careers for the filming and picked this one for Jinger.  Why go with one that actually makes sense like photography?

Because having a career in photography takes actual work, networking, marketing, skill and, well, paying clients?  Not saying Jinger isn't talented (I have no idea), but it's far easier to stick her in a pre-made spot in a business and call it a "career" than to support her efforts to really go out and try to launch a legit career from scratch. Wouldn't want her getting any silly ideas about being self-sufficient or anything. 

TMZ is reporting that sources connected to production say that Josh will not appear on the show but Anna and the M-kids do.  They are rebuilding their brand. 

8 minutes ago, StepMonsterInLA said:

TMZ is reporting that sources connected to production say that Josh will not appear on the show but Anna and the M-kids do.  They are rebuilding their brand. 

Wasn't most of it shot while he was in rehab. 

20 hours ago, Bushes of Love said:

Watch Joy's face when Jill buts in....it's classic!

When I first saw this video a couple of years ago, that gave me so much hope that Joy might be one of the first of the Duggars to distance herself from the whole lifestyle. It's sad to see see that now at 18, she seems to be on Aunt-Mom duty to Josh's kids, but I'll keep hoping for her. 

I also felt really sorry for Jinger when she says she needs to work on her contentment. No ~20 year old girl should have to "work on her contentment". She should be getting out there and giving it a go at living in the city she would like to live in while in college, or saving towards being able to get there after graduating. 

It makes me so sad to see the way these poor girls are held back from the normal experiences of girls their age. 

On 3/11/2016 at 2:11 PM, lascuba said:

I don't really disagree. I don't think she's malicious, exactly, just an annoying, controlling ass. And I really think she lives in terror of her and her loved ones pissing off Jesus, which I should probably sympathize with but her atrocious beliefs and her annoying personality make it impossible for me. For example, I doubt she wanted for a sibling she tattled on to be beaten with a rod, but she honestly believed it need to be done for their souls, so tattled she did.  She absorbed her parents' teachings too well, and the result is a young woman who can't stand to hear her sister express any strong, specific desires (outside of godliness, of course) without feeling the need to correct her. That makes for a pretty miserable time with a person no matter what their intentions or positive attributes. 

I agree that Jill didn't have any nasty or malicious intentions. In fact, I wonder if part of the reason she jumped in was because she knew J'chelle and Boob wouldn't like what Jinger was saying and Jill thought she'd jump in and try and try and mitigate the damage for Jinger a little. She probably also thinks Jinger needs to be a bit more "open to God's will in her life" or whatever, but not in a mean way. 

I think Jill is a someone who has a bit of a "goody two shoes" personality which lends itself nicely to fitting into the fundie lifestyle of blindly obeying your parents and doing what you are told without question. It made her more compliant at accepting whatever she was told without question and wanting to please her parents, two things that Fundie parents love. So she became one of Boob's favourites and soon realised it afforded her certain advantages (like getting to go to Nepal to meet a boy or getting sent off to Journey to the Heart less) so she kept on doing what she was doing.  It makes her kinda annoying, but given the absolute brainwashing she has been subject to, I can't bring myself to hate her because I think she means well and thinks she is helping, even if we can see it is actually a little bit obnoxious. Plus it has elements of "coping mechanisms". She seems to have worked out the best way for her to survive this cult was to be the "best fundie she can be" because she got the privileges of being Daddy's favourite and didn't get in much trouble. 

The thing with Jill's personality is that she has a lot of traits that would actually have benefitted her in a different upbringing. She would have been a bit of an annoying teacher's pet sure, but I also think her desire to do well and help others would have seen her get good grades at school and do well in nursing/midwife school. Her interest in Spanish seems genuine, and if permitted a proper education, she probably would have enjoyed and done very well in school/college Spanish classes and learned the language to a decent conversational level at minimum, and maybe even learned the language well enough to be able to use it at a professional level. I've started studying Spanish and absolutely love it and I have gotten some great opportunities out of it. People with Jill's personality type often do very well educationally, but she was only ever allowed to go to SOTDRT

With 19 kids, you will always see a mix of personality types and some will "fit" the fundie lifestyle better than others, it's like how in the Bates family, the fundie lifestyle "fits" Michael's personality type, while was a nightmare for Alyssa's. I would find Jill annoying in person and would be sitting there with Joy and Alyssa rolling my eyes, but I can't really hate her when her blanket training upbringing has made her into this kind of person. 

28 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

It makes her kinda annoying, but given the absolutely brainwashing she has been subject to, I can't bring myself to hate her because I think she means well and thinks she is helping, even if we can see it is actually a little bit obnoxious

Jill is way past kinda annoying and a little bit obnoxious, she is a snitch/rat know it all who would have been put in her place in a normal family. I have a great sister, but Jill would have got some choice words and maybe an ass whupping from me (I'm a pacifist for the most part but her disrespecting my personhood and boundaries would have sent me over the edge). Nobody likes a snitch. She's the poster child for the dysfunctional enmeshment of this family cult. Brainwashing, yes, absolute brainwashing, no. At some point, the refusal to think critically is volitional. I don't care that she thinks she is helping, she is not helping at all! Narc...ugh!

14 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Jill is way past kinda annoying and a little bit obnoxious, she is a snitch/rat know it all who would have been put in her place in a normal family. I have a great sister, but Jill would have got some choice words and maybe an ass whupping from me (I'm a pacifist for the most part but her disrespecting my personhood and boundaries would have sent me over the edge). Nobody likes a snitch. She's the poster child for the dysfunctional enmeshment of this family cult. Brainwashing, yes, absolute brainwashing, no. At some point, the refusal to think critically is volitional. I don't care that she thinks she is helping, she is not helping at all! Narc...ugh!

Oh for sure. I just think that while Jill is annoying, her upbringing is largely responsible for her being the way she is and one of the reasons is because she didn't learn not to behave like this the way most of us do. Most siblings would have told Jill to shut up, but obviously, fundies aren't 'allowed' to do that.  

I think this is also an example of how the SOTDRT has held back their social development. Even if Jill was 'protected' by her parents from being ass-whooped and told off by her siblings for her tattling ways, she'd soon have had that behaviour beaten out of her by her peers at school. No one at school likes a tattletale and most kids with tattling tendencies learn that very quickly in first grade and stop after the first couple of instances of being hated by their peers for 'dobbing' on someone and getting them into trouble or made fun of for being a tattler. 

But when Jill's tattling was encouraged by her parents, her siblings forbidden from dishing out any kind of 'vigilante justice' for her tattling ways and she was kept home from a normal schooling environment where she'd have quickly learned that 'no one likes a tattletale', it's easy to see why she was still a teenage tattletale. These kids are so emotionally stunted it's terrifying. I just feel like as annoying as she is, I can't truly blame her for being the way she is. 

I also think that it is easy for us to sit here and say these girls need critical thinking skills, but they have been actively discouraged from ever thinking for themselves and showing any form of critical or independent thinking or even just questioning their beliefs sees them shipped off to JTTH or ALERT to be "reprogrammed". I feel like it's a little hard to blame them for their lack of critical thinking skills when their own parents discourage, rather than encourage, the development of them. 

I have no doubt Jill is a pain in the backside to have as a sister. But I don't think it's really her fault she is the way she is. Most people like her are sorted out on the playground at school and through some vigilante justice from their siblings. Jill was protected from both. 

4 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I also think that it is easy for us to sit here and say these girls need critical thinking skills, but they have been actively discouraged from ever thinking for themselves and showing any form of critical or independent thinking or even just questioning their beliefs sees them shipped off to JTTH or ALERT to be "reprogrammed". I feel like it's a little hard to blame them for their lack of critical thinking skills when their own parents discourage, rather than encourage, the development of them. 

I have no doubt Jill is a pain in the backside to have as a sister. But I don't think it's really her fault she is the way she is. Most people like her are sorted out on the playground at school and through some vigilante justice from their siblings. Jill was protected from both. 

Anybody in any cult has been discouraged from thinking independently or questioning the party line. Yet, people get out every day. FLDS women have been programmed to the max, without benefit of world travel, the Internet, and other exposure to non-fundy living that Jill has. Yet some of them bravely leave their children and families to escape the abuse. Men leave too. 

They are not "girls"  any more, BTW, grown-ass married women with children are decidedly not girls. I think that referring to them that way (a bad habit on FJ) infantilizes them and makes it easy to not hold them accountable for their continuing support of ATI/IBLP/Gothard, not to mention their homophobia and other hateful beliefs.  Remember, they believe in blanket training and other abusive child rearing methods! Not harmless at all, these "girls", and I make no excuses for them.

It's the whole nature or nurture argument, isn't it? I think Jill is an obnoxious know- it -all. I think her upbringing was terrible and that her parents were abysmal. I don't blame JD and M for the fact I dislike Jill though, I blame Jill and her behaviour for that.

Can someone give me a list of Jill getting her siblings into trouble with her parents? Not her being the mini parent her family dynamic forces all of the older children to be, but examples of her actually causing a near aged sibling to suffer a consequence by her tattling. I ask because I don't recall any instances from when I used to watch the show - but I probably wasn't paying any attention.

I recall Josh alluding to her telling in the awkward last episode before the molestation scandal broke when the couples were talking. The consensus on FJ seemed to be that Jill was the one who told the parents about the molestation (and/or Smugs confessed) which to me is a good thing because it stopped the physical attacks on the girls (Jill included.) So I give her a pass on that one - but other examples?

So I bought the people magazine and here are some highlights I read. Also, I find it hilarious they keep saying that they "work" at all these places when they probably do it three times a year.

1. As Joy finishes her homeschool cirriculum (We were wondering about if she graduated yet in a thread a while back I believe?) she is helping with the family real estate business by tiling and painting as well as party planning for family and friends (Hanging with Sierra?)

2. Jana handles the design of the houses the family flips.
3. Ben is finishing undergraduate studies online at the Moody Bible Institute

4. So for all of them they "forgive" him, but the trust is not there. Well, guess Josh will forever live a life of "He went to the store alone? Omg, but what if he is cheating on Anna at Walmart??!"

Nothing we didn't already know basically. A lot of the typical lines of "we will come out of this fire stronger" BS

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived