IGNORED

Counting On Season One

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I don't think she's a terrible person either but agree with @VelociRaptureand @lascubathat she's annoying.  She's the type who follows the rules at all costs even if means some serious fallout for the "rule breakers" as such a sibling getting beaten with a rod.  I don't think she considers the ramifications at all, the rules must be followed.  

I really wonder what Derick thinks now.  He and Jill will be married going on two years and I can't help but wonder if his eyes have been opened to who he married and what the hell he got himself into.  

I think he realizes it now. In recent photographs his eyes have such a haunted look. 

It's the look prisoners of war have. Poor kid, I feel for him. 

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes me wonder, will they all be compensated equally, or based on availability/screen time? Does anyone know or have an idea? Will Jill get paid as much as Jessa if she misses filming and promo photos and appearances?

I have a more nuanced view of Jill. I think that she has a lot of natural compassion and caring, positive traits that have unfortunately been twisted by her upbringing and Gothardism, which is about stamping out any sort of empathy for those deemed outsiders. Consequently, when she tattled as a kid or was a stickler for the rules, she probably thought she was doing it from a place of caring. However, as we all know, it's possible to have good intentions and have the results be not so good. The "saving Catholics for Jesus" thing makes sense in the context of her religion, even if it is completely odious and ahistorical (where does Jill think think the Bible came from?). If she had had a more conventional upbringing, I could see her being a nurse, a teacher, or even a doctor. Jill comes off as ignorant because she has been deliberately under-educated, not because she has an inherent problem with learning (that we know of, anyway).

Jill wanted to be a nurse, but said something about it not working right then. She would have had to go to a real college, there are some things you can't learn online. Whether it was her decision or JB's we will never know. Maybe filming got in the way.

If she had been able to follow this path, I think we would see a different Jill, less clingy and more open, but Gothardism is very powerful.

1 minute ago, BunnyBee said:

Did anyone watch the 10 minute preview tonight?

Maybe I got the time wrong, but there wasn't a preview at 7:50

I probably got the time/channel wrong though

6:50 mountain time, it was just dateline then it went straight to say yes to the dress at 7pm on TLC

I agree with the others about Jill having a lot of potential if she would just open her eyes and apply herself.  A non ATI Jill would have been a great nurse.

But she also upstages her siblings and steals the spotlight from them.  A pregnancy lasts 9 months.  It's a dick move to announce your pregnancy at the same (general) time as your sister's engagement.  Be happy for your sister and soon to be BIL.  Had she waited a month or even 2 weeks she still would have been in the first trimester.

I think the other J-slaves resent her because she volunteered as sister mom when Joy was born and (probably) started the sister mom thing.  Had she not volunteered, maybe Michelle would have raised her children (or at least be more hands on like Kelly Bates) instead of handing them off.  Her personality is much more suited for the sister mom role than the other 3 J-slaves.  (Though funny how her youngest buddy/kid seems to hate her life want want nothing to do with the family).  

Also she was the Golden Daughter (with Josh the Golden Son).  Anyone who grew up in a household with a golden child and has ever been asked "why can't/aren't you (be) more like Jill?" tends to really resent it after awhile and finds it hard when your parents expect you to be like the golden child you are nothing like.  Aside from Joy or Jennifer, I don't think tears were shed from her siblings when she got married.

My biases against her come from growing up alongside someone with the same personality type.  

7 minutes ago, Jessalyn said:

Maybe I got the time wrong, but there wasn't a preview at 7:50

I probably got the time/channel wrong though

6:50 mountain time, it was just dateline then it went straight to say yes to the dress at 7pm on TLC

I was hoping someone would have at least watched to see if there was any new juicy drama 

5 hours ago, J'Lurker said:

My acquaintance keeps saying "milk wheat toast" and I haven't been able to figure out what he means; duhdoy, clearly milquetoast-- THANK YOU for that light bulb. 

:pb_lol: Glad I could help!

5 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

Count me in as saying the anti-Jill sentiment over that one comment is a bit overblown. All she says is that even if Jinger doesn't end up in a place she thinks she wants now, God could be trying to teach her something by having it end up differently. Which is pretty much textbook what they all believe. And Jinger seems equally steeped in the Kool-Aid. It's not like she was offended. The way Jill does things in general is pretty grating, though.

But to say Tori and Carlin are spunky and might get out of the cult because they rudely impose their will on others even when it is unwanted while saying that Jill is controlling because she interrupted Jinger to say what they all appear to believe shows, I think, that sometimes we're a bit biased on what we applaud or denounce in these families. 

I'm with you on the biases over the two families, but unless Carlin and Tori rudely impose their will on others *in the name of Jesus* then they're not as bad as Jill. That's the difference. Natural enthusiasm coupled with teenage obnoxious is an annoying combination in anyone (and god I need Carlin to outgrow that shit yesterday), but adding all that to the need to demand that people follow the rules is another level entirely. Screeching at one's sister over her "ugly" chair? Tell her to STFU. Telling one's sister in a warning tone that she needs to stop having dreams that differ significantly from the life she's always known? Throw her in a volcano. 

Really, I just can't like people with personalities that are suited to the fundie lifestyle. 

20 minutes ago, lascuba said:

:pb_lol: Glad I could help!

I'm with you on the biases over the two families, but unless Carlin and Tori rudely impose their will on others *in the name of Jesus* then they're not as bad as Jill. That's the difference. Natural enthusiasm coupled with teenage obnoxious is an annoying combination in anyone (and god I need Carlin to outgrow that shit yesterday), but adding all that to the need to demand that people follow the rules is another level entirely. Screeching at one's sister over her "ugly" chair? Tell her to STFU. Telling one's sister in a warning tone that she needs to stop having dreams that differ significantly from the life she's always known? Throw her in a volcano. 

Really, I just can't like people with personalities that are suited to the fundie lifestyle. 

I get that. It's just that I've never seen any of the Duggars girls indicate even slightly that they didn't share similar views. Jill was just pointing out what all of them think anyway (unfortunately). 

I watched the preview.  So boring I just woke up from it (kidding). Seriously, same old same old!  Most of the clips we have already seen.  Derick preaches twice a week. Ben changes diapers. Woo hoo- so exciting! I will say, the view off of Jill and Derick's back porch is gorgeous!! 

2 hours ago, Jenirishdancer said:

I watched the preview.  So boring I just woke up from it (kidding). Seriously, same old same old!  Most of the clips we have already seen.  Derick preaches twice a week. Ben changes diapers. Woo hoo- so exciting! I will say, the view off of Jill and Derick's back porch is gorgeous!! 

oh I know...that view was breathtaking....I envy their little home...glad to see she was drying some laundry as well outside

6 minutes ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

I get that. It's just that I've never seen any of the Duggars girls indicate even slightly that they didn't share similar views. Jill was just pointing out what all of them think anyway (unfortunately). 

They definitely all believe the same thing, but...I'm not even sure how to phrase it. The attention to detail differs? Like in that clip, I think it was Jessa who brought the whole thing up about Jinger: "She can't live in the middle of nowhere." And she sounded fine with that. That's just who Jinger is, and they were all talking about what kind of men would be good for each of them. Sure, if/when Jinger ends up married to a JB-approved country-boy who hates cities, all her sisters would probably say that god was working on her if she expressed unhappiness, but for now they're just having a "fun" conversation for the cameras. But Jill couldn't even let the hypothetical slide. The other sisters may believe as she does, but they were still capable of having a relatively normal interaction. It's not her beliefs that get Jill singled out, it's how she lives down to every stereotype about those beliefs. 

9 minutes ago, biblelandjunkie said:

oh I know...that view was breathtaking....I envy their little home...glad to see she was drying some laundry as well outside

It really is breathtaking!! Yes, drying clothes outside is a nice touch !

1 hour ago, Jenirishdancer said:

Re the bolded: To whom and in what language?   :56247961de1fe_AnimeExpressionsareoverdoneXD:

I can guess what he preaches, but I want to know who his congregation is.

Watching the 10 minute preview now......Ben is explaining how much Charles Spurgeon mean to his life and Jessa's life.

Jinger doing first family photo shoot of the Seewald family.

Ben talking about changes in the family since baby

Jessa, talking about having to change diapers and not going "here mom" and handing the baby off (as if)

Ben: It's good for me (to be a father)

Now in CA with J&D. Same clips in language school. Derrick preaches 2/week

Izzy looking cute. Big messy kitchen. Messy bedroom, and messy guest bedroom.  Hangs clothes on clothesline to dry.

Baby Seewald sneezes, Jessa says he has a cold and it makes her nervous.

Ben and rapping

Building a treehouse

Girls at spa, Anna questioning Joy about what kind of guy she is looking for

Jessa...we miss J&D yada, yada, yada

whew....that was riveting.....NOT!

ETA: Jill: We are trying to ADOPT to life in the mission field.

Derrick preaches in "a couple different locations" and "at a church that is already here and out in the community"

It shows Derrick talking with locals pointing out something in the bible (Jill was talking in a voice over, so I have no clue in what language. Most of the people were women.

I really don't get why Jill's house is messy on the show. I don't think it's weird if it's messy during normal life, but wouldn't you think if a camera crew was coming you'd pick up a little? 

Is that Ben rapping that we hear? My husband didn't think it sounded like him. I said it's definitely Ben. And he's awful. That's why Jessa looked so embarrassed.

24 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Anna questioning Joy about what kind of guy she is looking for...

Joy's secret thought:  "Someone as different as possible from that pig, your husband."

News from the Duggar Family Blog:

"This week's issue of PEOPLE Magazine features seven of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's 19 children, who, along with Jill Dillard, will star in the upcoming season of Counting On, set to premiere March 15th at 9pm ET/8pm CT on TLC.

The Duggar siblings speak on a variety of topics, including their current career endeavors, their love lives, and the forgiveness they have extended to brother Josh.

Jinger Duggar, 22, reveals that she has entered the family used car sales business

"I started watching them, and all my little brothers were making a lot of money," she tells PEOPLEexclusively. "I decided to get in on that."

Jinger, along with Joseph Duggar, 21, and Josiah Duggar, 19, are also working in prison ministry. (You may remember that Anna's family, the Kellers, are also involved in prison ministry.)

John-David Duggar, 26, is a volunteer at the International ALERT Academy, a Christian organization based in Big Sandy, Texas, and a part-time police officer, and he is also involved in the Duggar family real estate business, which is in its fifth generation.

Joy-Anna Duggar, 18, works alongside her siblings in helping Jim Bob remodel residential and commercial buildings and also babysits for family and friends.

Josiah, who briefly courted Marjorie Jackson during spring and summer of 2015, shares why that relationship ended. "We were just trying to follow God's lead on everything," he tells PEOPLEexclusively. "She didn't feel that it was the right timing then, so we called it quits for a bit."

On forgiving Josh, who has recently completed his rehab program and is back home in Arkansas, Jessa and Joy say that they have forgiven their older brother but that it will take time for him to rebuild their trust. "We love him very much, though, and we are very hopeful for the future," says Jessa."

Interesting that Jinger is working at the car lot. It's a shame she can't pursue something like photography though. I think she still occasionally takes photos for people but I have no idea if she gets paid or if it's just favors.

@WhyNotJulie They forgot to mention Jana's job.....She does run a 24/7 daycare service in her home!! 

@ClaraOswin I'm sure Jinger doesn't see a dime from her photography. When they were talking about her Photography in Blessa's engagement photo episodes they treated if like it was just a "little hobby" she does. They would never allow her to flourish in an activity that she is passionate about, it isn't a womanly profession. Truthfully I am 100% surprised they are allowing her to work at the used car lot. My guess is she works inside taking phone calls. I can't see Jim Boob actually allowing her to make sales and maybe talk to a man without a accountability partner. 

I agree that we would have bashed Jill and Derick if they'd flown back to the US for the promo shoot. But I still think it's super weird that Jill isn't in any of the promo pictures. The show is called "Jill and Jessa," after all, and yet the promo pictures show Jessa and a bunch of their siblings, with Jill nowhere in sight. TLC was obviously filming them, so why couldn't they also have a photographer take some promo pictures of her and her family? Or, crazy idea, they might even have photographers in scary Central America that could take them. :pb_eek: The mind boggles, I know.

TL;DR: Why is Jill not featured in the promo to her own show?

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived