IGNORED

They're back! Counting On is now an official show!

TheSilverTongue

30 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

More questions-  

I really hope each kidult did sign their own contract (not coerced by JB).  

Will we see any of the Howlers or Lost Girls on the show?  

What about Anna and the M kids?  

We are at the very least seeing Anna. Her face popped up on the promo and TLC's website mentioned that they would cover a "much needed girls trip with Anna". 

I don't think we'll see much of the Howlers unless they're brought up when they talk about Jana and her life (because taking care of kids is her life). 

To me, it doesn't really matter if the money goes to the kidults or Jim Bob, because Jim Bob is the partirach, none of the kids have independance, and let's be real no matter who it goes to it's Jim Bob's anyway. 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really add much to the rest of the snark, but I did very nearly facepalm when I read the news.

On a non-snarky note, I really like what Jinger is wearing.

TLC would have had to individually contract with each of the kids over 18.  They're not legally incapacitated nor are they minors under the law.  Therefore, generally speaking, JB has no authority to contract on their behalf or be paid on their behalf.  Now, they could have signed over a power of attorney to JB or have some other agreement that allows JB to represent them, like an agent or whatever, and then they may owe him some money under that scenario, but that is most likely a separate agreement from any agreement that TLC has with them.  

Oh, and it's one thing for your dad to take all of your money when you're doing a show as a family and the network negotiated with him.  It's another when you are doing all the work and you are the draw, but your dad keeps on trying to steal the spotlight and take all of your money.  This is how those "you stole my money, momager and dadager" lawsuits get started.  

11 hours ago, vaticanmember said:

Are they dancing in the trailer or is it jumping for joy?

Edit: I think the jumping is an imitation of the Bringing up Bates intro. So lame. This really was thrown together within hours it seems.

The jumping reminded me of the Bedazzled sketch with the leaping nuns of Berylia. The one with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.

1 hour ago, Hera said:

TLC would have had to individually contract with each of the kids over 18.  They're not legally incapacitated nor are they minors under the law.  Therefore, generally speaking, JB has no authority to contract on their behalf or be paid on their behalf.  Now, they could have signed over a power of attorney to JB or have some other agreement that allows JB to represent them, like an agent or whatever, and then they may owe him some money under that scenario, but that is most likely a separate agreement from any agreement that TLC has with them.  

Oh, and it's one thing for your dad to take all of your money when you're doing a show as a family and the network negotiated with him.  It's another when you are doing all the work and you are the draw, but your dad keeps on trying to steal the spotlight and take all of your money.  This is how those "you stole my money, momager and dadager" lawsuits get started.  

Unless he's acting as their agent and has a power of attorney.  I'm quite sure that is the arrangement given that wimmenz cant do mathz

17 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Unless he's acting as their agent and has a power of attorney.  I'm quite sure that is the arrangement given that wimmenz cant do mathz

Oh, I'm sure JB's all over it, one way or another.  He's too much of a control freak narcissist not to be. But even so, technically, TLC would still be contracting with the Kiddults for their labor ("labor"?) in exchange for payment, not JB, and the money would be for the Kiddults, not JB,  even if it has to go through JB.  And, not that I think that JB is smart enough to know this, but he should take care not to abuse his power of attorney or breach his fiduciary duty by taking all or most of the money for himself.  It really is a legally different situation now that it's the Kiddults who are the "stars" and not the entire family, which is what they're trying to suggest, anyway.  JB's relentless pursuit of fame and easy money is going to lead to his downfall.  The idiot clearly learned nothing from the molestation scandal fall out.  

Is TLC even trying to making it look like this is a different show? With a name centered on two women and only one of them is in the promos around about 10 other people?

I predict lots of speaking engagements, lots of cloying Southern Women Show ladies drooling.

Also Jessa's bangs look really dumb on her. It's been said but needs to be said again. I'm glad she seems to be clipping it away now, it must mean this promo was filmed a while ago....how old does Sturgeon seem?

Hi, everyone!  I've been lurking for literally YEARS, and just decided to join! 

As to the kids payment - I did a little searching, and found that in most states, child reality stars are considered neither "entertainers" nor "employees," which means their payment is basically not at all protected.  It doesn't look like Arkansas is one of the states to offer additional protections.  Therefore, I don't think the littles are likely to get anything from the show, UNLESS TLC requires a certain amount to be put in a trust for the kids.  For the new show, I think it depends.  Because reality stars aren't technically "employees," I'm pretty sure TLC could just write a check to the Duggar family, and let JB split it how he sees fit.  However, my guess is that at least Jessa/Bin and Jill/Derrick get a separate amount, since they're married and have their own, separate, families.  Maybe all the 18+ kids get their own paychecks, but I wonder if they even have their own bank accounts.  JD must since he owns a house (right?), but I doubt the girls have their own bank accounts, especially one that JB doesn't have access to.

21 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Is TLC even trying to making it look like this is a different show? With a name centered on two women and only one of them is in the promos around about 10 other people?

I predict lots of speaking engagements, lots of cloying Southern Women Show ladies drooling.

Also Jessa's bangs look really dumb on her. It's been said but needs to be said again. I'm glad she seems to be clipping it away now, it must mean this promo was filmed a while ago....how old does Sturgeon seem?

I compared Sturgeon to pictures of my niece as a baby (pathetic that I'm putting this much effort into it, I know. Feel free to judge me!) and I would guess him to be about 2 1/2 to 3 months. So that would put the time of the promos being done as somewhere between late January and early February. 

The original contract with TLC was with the Duggar family as a unit, including all the kids. the big question has this contract expired or not. TLC can cancel a show but not have the contract expire or be cancelled. This has been the case with Mama June, the Roloffs and Kate. They all did not have a show on the air but still were under TLC contracts.

When the Rolloffs got some specials back  after the weekly show was cancelled even though 3 of the kids were over 18, it appears that they were still paid as a family. Matt and Amy seem to have given the adult kids money or bought them cars, vacations, paid for college and for down payment on homes for their kids. I know Jacob has been fighting for his share because he was not over 18 during almost all of the filming.

I guess the answer comes if they were still under the previous contract or if they got a new one. I think if they got a new one Jim Bob would be ok with the kids having some money. I think he has enough money for himself but he wants to make sure none of his kids have to go work for some evil business or go to college and as long as he strongly feels they are going to use the money to live near him and tow the party line he will be fine.

30 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Yes, absolutely there is a reason they dropped any mention of the Duggar name or 19 kids-they are pretending there are only 18 now. Jill can't be in the promo for geographical reasons, she's somewhere in central America, but I'm sure she'll be in the show. Why else would Michelle and Jim Bob have made their impromptu appearance. 

Jill and Jessa were the ones who came forward about being victims for sympathy. If they were talking about being vicitms of sexual abuse or a destructive cult, I'd be sympathetic to them. Instead, they're victims of the liberal media and the Freedom of Information Act. The enemies are not the parents, Josh, or Quiverfull, it's the people that judge them. You can tell from the promo and mini series that they are cashing in on the "christian persecution" and victimhood narrative. That's why the focus is on Jill and Jessa, they're the ones who cried during Megan Kelley. 

26 minutes ago, Defrauding Feminist ESQ said:

Hi, everyone!  I've been lurking for literally YEARS, and just decided to join! 

Welcome! We're glad you're here. 

People are saying that the show will feature a baby shower (to which randos from all over town were invited but told not to post about on social media.) Does anyone have an idea whose it might be? Or do you think these testimonies are very belated reports of the Spurge shower from the specials?

2 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

People are saying that the show will feature a baby shower (to which randos from all over town were invited but told not to post about on social media.) Does anyone have an idea whose it might be? Or do you think these testimonies are very belated reports of the Spurge shower from the specials?

I vaguely remember it was the baby shower of a family friend. They guy that owns the furniture store the Duggars shill for occasionally 

15 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

The original contract with TLC was with the Duggar family as a unit, including all the kids. the big question has this contract expired or not. TLC can cancel a show but not have the contract expire or be cancelled. This has been the case with Mama June, the Roloffs and Kate. They all did not have a show on the air but still were under TLC contracts.

When the Rolloffs got some specials back  after the weekly show was cancelled even though 3 of the kids were over 18, it appears that they were still paid as a family. Matt and Amy seem to have given the adult kids money or bought them cars, vacations, paid for college and for down payment on homes for their kids. I know Jacob has been fighting for his share because he was not over 18 during almost all of the filming.

I guess the answer comes if they were still under the previous contract or if they got a new one. I think if they got a new one Jim Bob would be ok with the kids having some money. I think he has enough money for himself but he wants to make sure none of his kids have to go work for some evil business or go to college and as long as he strongly feels they are going to use the money to live near him and tow the party line he will be fine.

I would assume (but obviously could be wrong) that there was a clause in the contract stating that the terms were subject to change for special episodes and/or in the event of a new series.  JB would want more for the specials, and because they're longer, they require more filming than a usual episode.  My guess is that even if according to the date the old contract was still valid, there was something stating that it no longer applied due to the cancelation. 

However, there's still a big question about how much independent financial autonomy the kids actually have.  I wouldn't be surprised if JB still has access to Jill and Jessa's bank statements.

14 minutes ago, TheSilverTongue said:

Welcome! We're glad you're here. 

Thanks!! :)

I want to be shocked, but after the Danica Dillon Debacle was put to bed, I figured it would only be a matter of time before they got the green light to reprise the show.

19 hours ago, TheSilverTongue said:

More promo photos looking all serene and artsy in black and white. No more curls I guess :(1916729_1870308786529007_887915384437030

It's so weird and pose-y... yet strangely incongruous. Like Jing', Joy, and Jana are smelling a Yankee Candle, while Jessa is grinning because it's only a matter of time before they smell her silent but deadly fart.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not. 

I really have no words. I'm way more upset about this than I should be. It's so exploitative and so dangerous. I used to think I might be overreacting to the Duggars, but after Joshgate and the continued exploitation of both actual victimhood AND fundie persecution complexes, alongside womanizing and cult thinking? I just...it's not even a love-hate or a love-to-hate or a cutesy-hate anymore. This is really truly immoral.

Bah. TLC doing what TLC does, put trainwrecks on TV and see what happens. Maybe we'll get to see more of the girls personalities and maybe the pressure to be more mainstream will be good for them. You know what would be awesome? To see TLC use the opportunity of filming to challenge the kids with different situations that make them reevaluate the bull they've been fed (Oh, maybe a piece of fabric with two leg holes instead of one WON'T send you to hell...). One can dream...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived