IGNORED

They're back! Counting On is now an official show!

TheSilverTongue

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

My guess is that TLC will make sure to provide enough snark material because they know the majority of people watching abhor the Duggaar lifestyle. TLC isn't stupid. They know the show stopped being about a good Christian family years ago, if ever, and it's real appeal was the freak show factor. I have always thought the majority of the true fans (fundies) of the show had rarely seen it as fundies are unlikely to have TV, let alone cable. These people will never be relatable to the general public so TLC is likely going to play up how odd they are.

During the last few years of the 19 Kids show it was as if TLC was mocking them. The stuff they showed during Jill and Derrick's courtship with Jim Bob and Michelle counseling them was cringeworthy. Who else in their right minds would do this shit? Who eould think its normal for a 21 year old woman to marry a 19 year old man and neither have a job or income and said young man is living in what appeared to be her Daddy's storage space? Yet, they are encouraged to multiply quickly. TLC knows everything the Duggars do looks stupid to the outside world and are happy to profit off it. 

1. I actually think the majority of the people watching are fans. FJ finds that hard to believe(or doesn't want ot believe it) Some of these fans don't seem fundie.

2. TLC loves freakshows. On "My 600lb Life" they make the participants shower and go out to grocery stores to be humiliated, but the episodes are sympathetic to the participants.  By the end of the episode they've gotten the helped they've needed. I think it's sorta the same with the Duggars(and all of TLC's families). TLC and Discovery executive keep defending the family.  The "19 KIds and Counting" cancellation press release was full of nice things about the Duggars. Remember that special where the crew praised the Duggars? I think to TLC/Discovery loves the Duggars enough to focus less on the weird stuff. Look at the promos

3.  Does anyone else, besides FJ think it weird that a 21 year old married a 19 year old? Their age difference is normal. Jessa and Ben did have  jobs and income-TLC!

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

@Buzzard, I presume you'll be recapping them? 

Folks, shall we start a booze fund to see Buzzard through the mind numbing repetition that is this show?

I think we owe her more than booze for subjecting herself to these fizzy shit blizzards so we don't have to.  I think some kind of statue and a testimonial.  Scholarship fund for the selfless who put themselves in harms way to protect their communities.  

But since it's hard to put a statue up in a virtual community booze works, too.  :margarita:

13 minutes ago, Kira said:

3.  Does anyone else, besides FJ think it weird that a 21 year old married a 19 year old? There age difference is normal. Jessa and Ben did have  jobs and income-TLC!

When Jessa married, it was three days before her 22nd birthday.  What is weird is that most 22-year-old women have no interest in dating teenaged boys, let alone marrying them.  Boys that age are about two years behind 19-year-old girls in maturity. 

12 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

When Jessa married, it was three days before her 22nd birthday.  What is weird is that most 22-year-old women have no interest in dating teenaged boys, let alone marrying them.  Boys that age are about two years behind 19-year-old girls in maturity. 

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. It's a 3 year age difference. 22-year-olds date 19-year-olds all the time. Saying that 'boys' that age are two years behind girls is absurd, because so much depends on the individual. They're both legal adults, and it's not like there was a huge gap in life experience - as though Jessa had graduated from university and Ben was still finishing up high school. If anything, Ben had more real life experience than Jessa. 

13 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. It's a 3 year age difference. 22-year-olds date 19-year-olds all the time. Saying that 'boys' that age are two years behind girls is absurd, because so much depends on the individual. They're both legal adults, and it's not like there was a huge gap in life experience - as though Jessa had graduated from university and Ben was still finishing up high school. If anything, Ben had more real life experience than Jessa. 

It's a fact that teenage girls mature faster than teenage boys.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/12/19/why-girls-brains-mature-faster-than-boys-brains/

Bin was, and still is, a child.  I have no problem with young people getting married.  My cousin married her boyfriend her senior year in college and they're doing just fine... but they were IN COLLEGE.  They both were able to support themselves without daddy giving them a house, they had a good understanding of what it meant to be an adult, and they are now very good parents (6 years later).  

Jessa and Jill didnt even know how to make rice.  Bin cant/wont get an actual job, and Derick quit his so he could go play missionary.  The Duggars should not be anyone's role model or an example of how to do anything the right way.  They married early because their sole role is to have babies, and the only godly way to have sex is in marriage.

I have to say, I'm rather disappointed in all of you. I saw the confirmation of the show and knew I couldn't come on here to see how you all were reacting. I was expecting y'all to be 4 or 5 threads deep by now, not on page 7. :roll:8-)

2 minutes ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I have to say, I'm rather disappointed in all of you. I saw the confirmation of the show and knew I couldn't come on here to see how you all were reacting. I was expecting y'all to be 4 or 5 threads deep by now, not on page 7. :roll:8-)

We all knew it was coming.  The real battle will begin once it airs and we can start a war with the advertisers. 

Just now, Buzzard said:

We all knew it was coming.  The real battle will begin once it airs and we can start a war with the advertisers. 

Well, ya, we knew it was coming, but still. I mean, we knew that Izzy was coming, and we still lost our minds during the great Dilly Dally. Lol

39 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Bin was, and still is, a child.  I have no problem with young people getting married.  My cousin married her boyfriend her senior year in college and they're doing just fine... but they were IN COLLEGE.  They both were able to support themselves without daddy giving them a house, they had a good understanding of what it meant to be an adult, and they are now very good parents (6 years later).  

Jessa and Jill didnt even know how to make rice.  Bin cant/wont get an actual job, and Derick quit his so he could go play missionary.  The Duggars should not be anyone's role model or an example of how to do anything the right way.  They married early because their sole role is to have babies, and the only godly way to have sex is in marriage.

Wasn't Ben technically in school when he married Jessa? Why can't he get a job?  He's had "actual jobs" in the past. Do we know for sure that Derick quit his job? Was he fired? I think we debunked the "Jill can't make rice" thing.  

Over the past six months or so,  TLC's ratings have tanked.  Old shows like Long Island Medium don't break the top 100.  New shows like Rattled fare poorly in the ratings.  My personal favorite, The Little Couple, has lost a significant number of viewers.  It is unclear why the ratings have gone down.  (I would like to think people are boycotting the network permanently) Will the new Duggar show result in a general increase or will people continue to avoid the network? Time will tell.  What if the ratings of the new iteration of the Duggars begins to slide in the ratings?  Would TLC cancel them or will they keep them on no matter what? My gut tells me that TLC is in this full bore and would not cancel the Duggars unless the ratngs become ridiculous, which they never will because of their built-in audience. The Duggars may last longer than MASH, Gunsmoke or Bonanza.  Isn't that sad?

Just now, Becket70 said:

Over the past six months or so,  TLC's ratings have tanked.  Old shows like Long Island Medium don't break the top 100.  New shows like Rattled fare poorly in the ratings.  My personal favorite, The Little Couple, has lost a significant number of viewers.  It is unclear why the ratings have gone down.  (I would like to think people are boycotting the network permanently) Will the new Duggar show result in a general increase or will people continue to avoid the network? Time will tell.  What if the ratings of the new iteration of the Duggars begins to slide in the ratings?  Would TLC cancel them or will they keep them on no matter what? My gut tells me that TLC is in this full bore and would not cancel the Duggars unless the ratngs become ridiculous, which they never will because of their built-in audience. The Duggars may last longer than MASH, Gunsmoke or Bonanza.  Isn't that sad?

I've heard that MANY networks are seeing a decrease in viewership of reality TV shows, and that's all TLC has going for it.

TLC will cancel the Duggars the moment production costs exceed ad revenue.  It really is a business decision.  Sadly it is a business decision and even post-scandal Duggars bring in enough money for them to be profitable to TLC. 

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

For the sake of argument -

I don't get why people accept Jill not knowing how to make rice as the honest to God truth. It's entirely possible it was just a storyline cooked up by TLC in order to make things interesting (yeah, right) and to show how Jana is just so sweet to come help her newlywed sister out.

Its not like this would be the first time TLC suggested a storyline or edited things to look differently from how it happened. 

(Sorry! For some reason it just bothers me to see people act like Jill is an absolute moron for apparently not knowing how to make three servings of rice.)

1 hour ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

To be honest it's actually page 17.  But I know I'm tired of the Duggars and talking about them.  I can't get riled up to comment enough to make it to Counting on thread #3.

On February 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

Forget the Kardashains, the Duggars are the true indicator of moral rot in our society.

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but it seems obvious what needs to happen here.  We need to band together and convince the whole Jenner/Kardashian clan to do a series of PSAs centered around this truth.  Each family member can be assigned various Duggars that are most similar in family role, recent scandals/misconduct, or age.  Caitlyn can be responsible for JB, Kim can hold a baby and sob about how terrible she feels for baby Izzy to be raised in that environment, etc.  They can discuss (with big tears in their eyes) how appalled they are that this horribly sinful and offensive family is gaining fame and riches by being held up as some type of twisted role model that the rest of society should follow.  

Considering how things tend to turn out for the Duggar clan, I doubt this would have much of an impact on the the Duggar family, TLC, or the leghumpers, but it would be freaking hysterical in all it's horrifying ironic truthiness.

11 minutes ago, Whoosh said:

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but it seems obvious what needs to happen here.  We need to band together and convince the whole Jenner/Kardashian clan to do a series of PSAs centered around this truth.  Each family member can be assigned various Duggars that are most similar in family role, recent scandals/misconduct, or age.  Caitlyn can be responsible for JB, Kim can hold a baby and sob about how terrible she feels for baby Izzy to be raised in that environment, etc.  They can discuss (with big tears in their eyes) how appalled they are that this horribly sinful and offensive family is gaining fame and riches by being held up as some type of twisted role model that the rest of society should follow.  

Considering how things tend to turn out for the Duggar clan, I doubt this would have much of an impact on the the Duggar family, TLC, or the leghumpers, but it would be freaking hysterical in all it's horrifying ironic truthiness.

You know...I could see something like that getting so much attention that the Duggars have to response. Which would be amazing. Of course, it could backfire spectaculary and result in all of the mainstream sympathizing with the Duggars.

53 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

For the sake of argument -

I don't get why people accept Jill not knowing how to make rice as the honest to God truth. It's entirely possible it was just a storyline cooked up by TLC in order to make things interesting (yeah, right) and to show how Jana is just so sweet to come help her newlywed sister out.

Its not like this would be the first time TLC suggested a storyline or edited things to look differently from how it happened. 

(Sorry! For some reason it just bothers me to see people act like Jill is an absolute moron for apparently not knowing how to make three servings of rice.)

I think you're spot on, BUT.... just playing Devil's Advocate.... Directions for cooking rice are right there on the bag of rice.  It is not rocket science.  

11 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I think you're spot on, BUT.... just playing Devil's Advocate.... Directions for cooking rice are right there on the bag of rice.  It is not rocket science.  

Yeah. It's entirely possible--hell, it's extremely likely--that the entire thing was scripted so they can have some "conflict" to film. But assuming it was legitimate issue, that means that Jill was incapable of extrapolating how to make 3 servings of race based on the directions on the box. Of *minute rice* which is 1:1 of rice:serving. Which would mean that she's really fucking stupid.

All this talk of the new show and how the Duggars get away with everything makes me want to donate to Planned Parenthood in all of their names. Just one Duggar at a time, month by month, with a nice letter from PP telling them that money was donated in their name.

3 minutes ago, lascuba said:

All this talk of the new show and how the Duggars get away with everything makes me want to donate to Planned Parenthood in all of their names. Just one Duggar at a time, month by month, with a nice letter from PP telling them that money was donated in their name.

For every minute of air time the duggars get Im donating 10 cents to PP or gay rights organizations.  No, not much but if we all do it then we can turn their return to TV into a positive.  Who's in?

5 minutes ago, OodOnTheLoo said:

For every minute of air time the duggars get Im donating 10 cents to PP or gay rights organizations.  No, not much but if we all do it then we can turn their return to TV into a positive.  Who's in?

ME!

One thing I need to check is when TLC in the UK will be showing this trainwreck. I'm not proud but I'm going to be watching the shit out of it, probably while drinking heavily.

57 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

That was the problem,.The bag of rice didn't have a recipe. Someone here posted a screenshot of the episode. I'll try and find it.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived