IGNORED

Bates Family Part 9

Boogalou

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

So, given all the evidence that implied a pregnancy was going to happen sooner rather than later, why on earth are people still shocked that Erin got pregnant as soon as she did? Is it simply because they're a cute couple and Chad appears to love her? Is it because people just don't want to pay attention to the facts? Has UP really done that good a job of making this entire family appear normal? 

I can only speak for myself.  I was surprised because they showed that they understood how dangerous a pregnancy is for her and the baby and because Chad said that they would consider Dr. Vick's advice going forward.  It may have been more wishful thinking on my part but I believed him.  Just hope everything goes well for them.

Just wanted to add that we don't know what his advice is.  He may have said it's fine to go forward but she would be closely monitored whenever she got pregnant.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Ursula said:

I'm curious as to why this isn't allowed to be its own topic and JillyO's was merged into the general Bates thread?  I totally understand and agree that the Bates don't need their own subforum like the Duggars have, but the Helpmeets flat out said having multiple Bates family related topics was fine when big news broke and this is pretty big news....well, not a fundy wife getting knocked up, but this particular fundy wife, yeah.  For Zach and Whitney, healthy pregnancy and delivery, announced when first sprog was 14 months, kids will be 20 months apart in age, standard and boring, doesn't need its own topic.

ERIN, ON THE OTHER HAND, HAS A VERY REAL CHANCE OF DYING DURING HER UPCOMING LABOUR.

Yeah, I don't get it either. This pregnancy will make it pretty much impossible to dicuss anything else in the general Bates thread for a good long while, so I think it makes a lot of sense to have a separate pregnancy thread (hence why I made it). For example, I would have very much liked to continue discussing Lawson's stupid-ass conspiracy theory about Scalia's death. But that's never gonna happen now. *sigh*

There have been some comments implying that people are blowing her medical condition out of proportion and that the doctor would just carefully monitor her pregnancy and they could always induce early.  Well, that's exactly what they did with Carson.  They induced her at 36 weeks after 8 months of painful daily injections and frequent trips to the doctor.  She was induced and had a major placental abruption which thankfully didn't kill either of them, but only because the baby was born very quickly.  Things could be better this time.  Or she could have another placental abruption and not be so lucky.  She could have blood blots.  She could have a minor abruption and the baby could die prenatally.  I'm scared for her.  

7 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I can only speak for myself.  I was surprised because they showed that they understood how dangerous a pregnancy is for her and the baby and because Chad said that they would consider Dr. Vick's advice going forward.  It may have been more wishful thinking on my part but I believed him.  Just hope everything goes well for them.

Just wanted to add that we don't know what his advice is.  He may have said it's fine to go forward but she would be closely monitored whenever she got pregnant.

Exactly,  We don't know what advice he gave.   They might have gotten the green light provided she was monitored.  The advice could have simply been along the lines of "don't wing it yourselves" something that we know some fundie women have done.  

I hope Michael will be pregnant soon. She would be a great mother and at a perfect age (for her) to have a baby it seems. She has waited a long time. I can see twins for her :-). I'm waiting for an announcement from her side.

I believe that the pregnancy was a surprise, even if the surprise is nothing more than that they are surprised that God thinks they're ready for another go so soon. Even nonfundies love the saying that God doesn't send you anything that you can't handle, and these fundies really take it to heart. Whether or not they did anything scientifically valid to prevent, I don't think that they were actively trying for pregnancy (ewww thoughts of Anna Duggar's pleading, baby-crazed eyes just popped into my head in comparison).

Also, has anyone seen the honeymoon episode pop up online yet? The [redacted] links are still loading the wedding episode for me, watchseries-online hasn't listed it yet, [redacted] hasn't listed it yet, and [redacted] only has broken links to the wedding episode!
 :my_cry:

On 2/17/2016 at 2:27 PM, missegeno said:

Also, has anyone seen the honeymoon episode pop up online yet? The [redacted] links are still loading the wedding episode for me, [redacted] hasn't listed it yet, [redacted] hasn't listed it yet, and [redacted] only has broken links to the wedding episode!
 :my_cry:

And the [redacted] is not uploaded either yet. I dont know why but every week it seems more dificult to find.

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

What's with the obsession over whether other women are breastfeeding, or for how long, or when and why they wean? That's a personal choice that every woman is entitled to make for herself.

I couldn't care less about any of them breastfeeding or not (hope no one from my LLL ever figures out who I am on FJ :56247957a2c7b_32(17):
My sole point is that I am baffled that Michelle insisting that all her babies self wean at 6 months is taken pretty much as gospel round here when everything else out of her mouth is (rightfully) doubted. I also vividly remember the breastmate, so know that she does nurse them to start with. I just believe it to be bullshit that she doesn't stop "early" to get pregnant again (where I live it is now recommended to breastfeed for 1 year, though I have no idea what the recommendations were in the States when she was last a nursing mother)

Just now, Mrs Ms said:

I couldn't care less about any of them breastfeeding or not (hope no one from my LLL ever figures out who I am on FJ :56247957a2c7b_32(17):
My sole point is that I am baffled that Michelle insisting that all her babies self wean at 6 months is taken pretty much as gospel round here when everything else out of her mouth is (rightfully) doubted. I also vividly remember the breastmate, so know that she does nurse them to start with. I just believe it to be bullshit that she doesn't stop "early" to get pregnant again (where I live it is now recommended to breastfeed for 1 year, though I have no idea what the recommendations were in the States when she was last a nursing mother)

I'm surprised you have the impression that it's taken as gospel around here, because in my experience it's most definitely not. I'm personally of the opinion that Michelle may be telling the truth and that it's basically impossible for us to know either way - but the general consensus on FJ seems to be that she's lying and that she always weaned early so that she could conceive again (many posters will even claim that Michelle herself at some point talked about weaning early in order to conceive).

@Mrs Ms, the recommendations have been to breastfeed for at least an year and "as long thereafter as mom and baby desire" since the early 2000s.  This is from the statement on breastfeeding of the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding.  The WHO recommendations have been for at least a year for longer than that.  Both the AAP and WHO do recommend that babies begin appropriate complementary foods around the middle of the first year (i.e. 6 months.)

Another reminder that the Bates family, especially Gil and Kelly, aren't good people or kind people. Gil and Kelly aren't just a large, normal religious family. 

The board states that they are looking forward to the order and structure of the legal process to find the truth. That means they hope they can hide behind a legal technicality to get the case dismissed for them. What the IBLP won’t do is sit down with these 18 victims, and the others that are out there – like Christians – and open their checkbook and do what is right for these people” Gibbs continued.

IBLP built a $100 million organization on the backs of people that they required to work 70 hours per week without paying them over time or in some cases not paying them at all – it was slave labor – but they won’t consider using the assets of that empire that was built on the backs of its victims to do what is right to help these people get counseling and to compensate them for what they helped Bill Gothard and others do to them.”

The complaint says the four remaining board members of the organization are Stephen Paine, Gil Bates, Tim Levendusky and David York.

http://mobile.wnd.com/2016/02/ministry-sex-abuse-cover-up-becoming-like-bill-cosby/

I'll just leave this here. Found it when I was trying to figure out how far she was.....

chad_erinpaine@rosequartzlionessyou're so kind! We are not affiliated with the ministry or Mr. Gothard in anyway at all, nor do we support. Thank you for your concern. May God richly bless you! :)

I watched the honeymoon episode. Gil with the girl was cute. And I'm fairly impressed that a fundie man was allowed to admit to WEAKNESS and CRYING like Zach did during the academy. I'll give him props for that because I don't think a single Duggar would last more than thirty seconds being yelled at and not coddled by mommy and sisters. 

The stuff with Brandon and Michaela... eh. Just, eh. They were overly dramatic that they couldn't sit together in the fishing boat.

I don't know what it is about Brandon. Maybe he's not very.... photogenic or just sucks in a crowd, but he gives me the weirdest vibe. He's trying too hard. And seems forced and fake at times. 

Michaela seems ecstatic with her new life, though. 

3 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

I'll just leave this here. Found it when I was trying to figure out how far she was.....

chad_erinpaine@rosequartzlionessyou're so kind! We are not affiliated with the ministry or Mr. Gothard in anyway at all, nor do we support. Thank you for your concern. May God richly bless you! :)

Huh.  Interesting.  

4 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I watched the honeymoon episode. Gil with the girl was cute. And I'm fairly impressed that a fundie man was allowed to admit to WEAKNESS and CRYING like Zach did during the academy. I'll give him props for that because I don't think a single Duggar would last more than thirty seconds being yelled at and not coddled by mommy and sisters. 

The stuff with Brandon and Michaela... eh. Just, eh. They were overly dramatic that they couldn't sit together in the fishing boat.

I don't know what it is about Brandon. Maybe he's not very.... photogenic or just sucks in a crowd, but he gives me the weirdest vibe. He's trying too hard. And seems forced and fake at times. 

Michaela seems ecstatic with her new life, though. 

I think it's more of both being extremely shy. Some people try to compensate their shyness and that is quickly perceived as 'trying too hard', and ends in the weird smiles. Like I said before, Brandon seems to me like a nice yet insecure guy, someone who would call five people 'a crowd' and who doesn't feel very comfortable around 25 or 500, fwiw. 

I think Michael is just as shy und uncomfortable but she's taking one for the team.

5 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

Do you have a link for this? Because I'm wondering if they were specifically asked about IBLP or if it was just Gothard and Gothard's ministry. Because Gothard isn't a part of IBLP anymore and has another ministry, so it could be that is what she means. 

Also, leaving Gothard isn't leaving the quiverfull mindset. Look at John Shrader, he hates Gothard but is determined to pop out kid after kid no matter the cost to his wife or other children. 

12 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

chad_erinpaine@rosequartzlioness you're so kind! We are not affiliated with the ministry or Mr. Gothard in anyway at all, nor do we support. Thank you for your concern. May God richly bless you! :)

We just had an extra cake for him at our wedding where he happened to be present the entire time even though it was his birthday, and our dads coincidentally are sitting on the board of the organization Mr.Gothard himself founded, and we coincidentally live our lives after the principles he set up in his teachings. Koinkidink, we're not affiliated. 

Yeah. Of course. What else is there to say for them (and for UPtv) than that?

My first thought was the birthday/wedding cake.  That was, in fact, their wedding?  Perhaps it was not  the couple's choice to honor him, though.  It is such a shocking comment out of context.  I wish we knew what that rosequartz lady said to begin with.

IBLP also sells Erin's music. 

I've been searching for the comment to read the whole thing, because the way it is worded it could imply that they aren't associated with IBLP, but mean something totally different since IBLP isn't Gothard's ministry anymore. 

It's the last comment. It was in response to someone offering help if they wanted to leave ATI

Maybe Erin was kept in the dark about the scandal until she found out on her own after marriage. 

1 minute ago, Pretzel said:

We just had an extra cake for him at our wedding where happened to be present the entire time even though it was his birthday and our dads coincidentally are sitting on the board of the organization which Mr.Gothard himself founded and live our lives after the principles he set up in his teachings. Koinkidink, we're not affiliated. 

Yeah. Of course. What else is there to say for them (and for UPtv) than that?

I wonder if the Batesesess are starting to get flack for their affiliation with IBLP / Gothard.   The lawsuit makes it more likely for people to realize the connection and the publicity seems to be increasing.   Erin's response seemed specifically worded to sidestep the question by focusing on what Gothard is doing now.  While technically true that they are no longer affliliated with what he is doing now, that's not the issue at hand nor is it honest.  

Her father has a seat on that board.  That's affiliation and then some.  The family has to be true believers to the nth degree for that to happen.  Also with her FIL.

Having a birthday cake at your wedding for the founder who is accused of perpetrating years of sexual abuse is more than affiliation, it's your family being really good buds with the guy.

I realize that they can't really admit to things, it's kind of like taking the fifth but in their case not admitting the truth comes easy.  

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain......

Yeah, the commenter @rosequartzlioness said "You have a beautiful family.  If you and your husband ever want out of the ATI-lifestyle, there's many of us willing to lend you a hand."

Their response: "@rosequartzlioness you're so kind! We are not affiliated with the ministry or Mr. Gothard in anyway [sic] at all, nor do we support.  Thank you for your concern.  May God richly bless you!"  While the response does not condemn ATI directly, it is pretty definitive.  Good for them if they are indeed finding their own path.  Hope it is true.  

Well, they probably aren't affiliated with ATI, it is a homeschooling curriculum and they don't have any kids old enough to homeschool. So she wouldn't be lying and could still be a believer in IBLP

Now, it could be that after reading all the info they both decide to distance themselves from IBLP/ATI, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to very fundie beliefs because those are not just in ATI

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived