IGNORED

Bates Family Part 9

Boogalou

I'm really hoping it's surprise pregnancy with NFP. I had a friend who found out she was pregnant when her first child was 6 months old. It was definitely unplanned. It's possible the same thing happened with Erin and Chad, but who knows.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised at all that Erin is pregnant. Nope, not at all. Her body, her choice. I pray that mama and baby stay healthy and safe. Carson needs her,

I too am surprised I'm surprised -- and surprised I care so much. 

Ugh. Erin, Chad... If only they knew that the negative reactions they're getting (and they WILL get them in real life, too) are born of genuine hope and concern for them. 

But yeah -- when people here say they think Alyssa or Erin might "space out their kids" or intentionally have fewer of them, that means either 1. Limiting sex or 2. Chemical or physical birth control. Either would be a HUGE departure from the family's publicly proclaimed core beliefs.

I'm surprised, actually. I really thought that there wouldn't be a (public) announcement from Cherin until at least later this year. I do hope all goes well for Erin and baby.

I do think there will be grandbates all around this year, though.

This is way to soon after her first child. I didn't realize how many complications she had. (I knew about the misscarriage). I wish her a healthy pregnancy and I hope everything goes well. 

I'm kind of surprised that UP didn't make the announcement like they did with Zach and Whitney. You would expect them to having something prepared to put on their website, but I've found nothing as of a couple of minutes ago. Maybe Erin and Chad blindsided them with the news?

I really thought they would have waited a little bit longer. Now we can only hope that everything goes well. And if they were using NFP obviously it doesnt work for them, if they really want to stop her from having a high risk pregnancy every year they will have to use something else.

Count me in the not at all surprised camp.

So far all of the Bates kids have bought into quiverfull. Some of them might seem more fundie lite. They all believe in some version of babies are a gift and/or soldiers for God.  

Erin and Chad present as humble but I can't help but think in their circle having babies despite difficulty gives you extra God points. 

When Erin posted those redecorating pics a few days ago, I thought to myself, "Gah, I hope she isn't nesting!!" 

I feel sorry for Michael(la) --based on her post comments, she seems to really want to get pregnant--and now a sister & sister in law, both younger than she is, are.

Ugh. I've been following fundies far too long for any pregnancy to come as a surprise, but considering Erin's history, this one did. I so thought Erin was wise enough to space things out a little more. Anyhow, I do wish them the best.

Not overly surprised either.... Just saw the news elsewhere on line.

When the first 2016 upcoming Bates grandbaby was announced, I thought right away there'd be two more announcements.

I was hoping they'd wait. I was thinking Michael for sure and then Alyssa as the 2nd and 3rd though...not Erin. I hope everything goes well....

I realize this is being discussed in the general Bates thread as well, but I think this is big enough news to warrant its own thread:

Erin and Chad Paine have announced that she is pregnant with their second child: http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1112963/bringing-up-bates-chad-erin-baby-no-2-news-exclusive

The baby is due in the summer, so will only be a little over a year younger than baby Carson. With all the trouble Erin had with her last pregnancy and birth, I think it's safe to say that everyone on FJ was hoping this wouldn't happen so soon. :headdesk:

1. I sincerely hope that Erin has a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery. As much as I wish they had waited, it's their decision to make. I can only hope for the best possible outcome for the family.

2. I'm in no way surprised by any of this at all. They're deeply involved with IBLP - it was only a matter of time before they conceived again and with Erin's fertility it was going to happen much sooner rather than later. 

3. To the poster asking about what Chad's dad might be thinking - I doubt that man thinks much at all. I mean, this is the man that helped conceal sexual abuse and told a sexual abuse victim to go eat a protein bar to deal with her anxiety rather than actually help her. He's probably thrilled that God has blessed his son and daughter-in-law so soon after Carson's birth; and I doubt any of their family members are privately overly concerned about Erin either. Because God or something. 

I just watched their announcement video. I'm thinking this was a surprise baby from their looks and words. Of course, if you refuse to use birth control, there's always a chance you'll get pregnant. I hope Erin will have a healthy pregnancy and a safe delivery!

If they are truly surprised (sounds like it), then it is quite likely they were using NFP. Considering Erin's health issues which aren't likely to go away, this could be the catalyst that pushes them to use birth control.

I read the surprise as they didn't think they'd get pregnant so soon or whole she was still breastfeeding. Something along those lines.  It's only their 2nd baby so she doesn't know how quickly her fertility would return.  Doesn't mean they were preventing.  

I want to be excited for Erin and Chad, but I'm just worried.  Not only does Erin have her clotting issue, but she had a placental abruption with Carson.  I don't know if they realize how VERY LUCKY they got with that...most don't go that well for mom or baby.  Not only is she at greater risk for more serious complications this time around just because of what happened last time, but most doctors recommend waiting an extended period of time after an abruption for an additional pregnancy...which she didn't do, and which puts her at risk even more.  She'll almost certainly need to be induced the moment she hits full term, possibly before, and I would be very shocked if it isn't a scheduled C Section.

This is a very dangerous situation for mom and baby.  Yes, it is her body and her choice, but I wont pretend to think she made a smart one.

Ugh. I have to say I am surprised. I thought they'd wait.

Did they

(a) try NFP and fail

or

(b) assume they wouldn't get pregnant while breastfeeding?

Otherwise I don't see how they could be surprised by a pregnancy when they've successfully conceived several times before and are (presumably) having unprotected sex now.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was either or both A & B. It happens all the time to non-fundies too. I'm sure they are worried, but all they can do at this point is make the most of it and hope for the best outcome.

I think it must have been nfp rather than hoping for breastfeeding to do the job. I'm not 100% sure re Erin's clotting disorder but I would imagine she would have had to realise quite quickly that she was pregnant in order to start taking shots to prevent miscarriage. Her periods must have returned post-partum by now for her to know that she'd missed a period, pee on a stick and start taking the medication. Unless she was just randomly peeing on sticks a la the Duggar family with their stockpiles for daughters to 'steal'.

This does not surprise me in the least. I just got back from the ICU. I have more LDS neighbors then I can count over the years that have had serious pregnancy complications that required life flights and they keep having kids. I had to take  blood thinners and bedrest so I always try and help out others but it gets tough when you see women that have many healthy kids being so risky. We had one women go into cardiac arrest after a horrible pregnancy which she spent over 6 months 300 miles away from her kids and she kept going.

I hope everything goes well for Erin and Chad. I was blessed with 2 kids and I know my husband would have loved more but he didn't want to see me go through miscarriages , shots, surgeries, and pain. With my vascular condition and clotting issues, NFP was one of my only options and 13 years with no pregnancies so it can work just fine.

Does Erin's clotting disorder prevent her from using hormonal birth control? If so, that would limit their options even if they were open to birth control.

2 hours ago, MissBitters said:

I'm really hoping it's surprise pregnancy with NFP. I had a friend who found out she was pregnant when her first child was 6 months old. It was definitely unplanned. It's possible the same thing happened with Erin and Chad, but who knows.

NFP is known not to work effectively with women who do not have very regular cycles.  It is also hard to do post baby until your cycle returns and you can re-establish a pattern.

With Erin's issues and tough last pregnancy, I wouldn't be surprised if she was not a good candidate for NFP and had it fail.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived