IGNORED

Bates Family Part 9

Boogalou

4 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Yeah, the commenter @rosequartzlioness said "You have a beautiful family.  If you and your husband ever want out of the ATI-lifestyle, there's many of us willing to lend you a hand."

Their response, while it does not condemn ATI directly, is pretty definitive.  Good for them if they are indeed finding their own path.  

Nice that someone would offer to help but if Erin and Chad ever left not just ATI but chucked its beliefs such as being QF,  I would have to check if hell froze over.

Erin's response is technically true but it is also misleading.  The family might really be distancing themselves from ATI/IBLP but it's being done out of self defense / preservation not because they decided it was wrong.    Being affiliated with Gothard was a boon, now that it's a curse, they want to worm their way of it any way they can.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

Well, they probably aren't affiliated with ATI, it is a homeschooling curriculum and they don't have any kids old enough to homeschool. So she wouldn't be lying and could still be a believer in IBLP

Now, it could be that after reading all the info they both decide to distance themselves from IBLP/ATI, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to very fundie beliefs because those are not just in ATI

I think they have joined a different church, but I want to remind everybody that there's an infinite number of Baptist churches all over the US who are not affiliated with Bill Gothard or IBLP but vary enormously in their teachings, i.e. quite many Baptist churches come close to the IBLP teachings as regards family planning, gender roles etc. 

They might have distanced from IBLP and joined a different church, but their new church very likely caters exactly to their believes. 

7 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Nice that someone would offer to help but if Erin and Chad ever left not just ATI but chucked its beliefs such as being QF,  I would have to check if hell froze over.

Erin's response is technically true but it is also misleading.  The family might really be distancing themselves from ATI/IBLP but it's being done out of self defense / preservation not because they decided it was wrong.    Being affiliated with Gothard was a boon, now that it's a curse, they want to worm their way of it any way they can.

Yes.  I can't see them straight up lying because Hell, but I guess the statement might  simply be TECHNICALLY correct (the best kind of correct).  But you're right.  "Ministry" is a vague term.  Which ministry?  There are a lot of bad ones they could still be supporting. 

I may be optimistic but I think the statement is huge. If she still was fond of Gothard I would think she would have just ignored the comment, but she went out of her way to say I do no support him or am I affiliated with him. I know Chad's brother Thomas has spoken out publicly against Gothard and ATI so maybe he is rubbing off on Chad. 

1 minute ago, crazysnark said:

I may be optimistic but I think the statement is huge. If she still was fond of Gothard I would think she would have just ignored the comment, but she went out of her way to say I do no support him or am I affiliated with him. I know Chad's brother Thomas has spoken out publicly against Gothard and ATI so maybe he is rubbing off on Chad. 

I think it's very possible that Erin and Chad are very much disillusioned with Gothard as a person.  They are not their parents, and they were never on the IBLP board.  However, they haven't done or said anything to give the impression that their basic religious beliefs have changed, even the less mainstream ones like being skirts-only. 

I'm thinking nobody in the Bates/Paine families are particularly fond of Gothard right now, he stabbed the board in the back and gave G3 evidence that can be used against them in this lawsuit. 

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the Paines' blog, and as recently as Valentine's Day, the whole family (including Thomas) were working at an dinner for training center leaders or some such shizz at "headquarters" so it sounds like the Paine family, at least, is still very much supporting at least IBLP, so for Chad to publicly make the statement that they are not affiliated or supportive "in any way" is pretty bold, IMO.  Then again, his parents' website still links to his blog.  Who knows what they really believe.  It's not like it's my business; I just find that insta comment REALLY fascinating.

5 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the Paines' blog, and as recently as Valentine's Day, the whole family (including Thomas) were working at an dinner for training center leaders or some such shizz at "headquarters" so it sounds like the Paine family, at least, is still very much supporting at least IBLP, so for Chad to publicly make the statement that they are not affiliated or supportive "in any way" is pretty bold, IMO.  Then again, his parents' website still links to his blog.  Who knows what they really believe.  It's not like it's my business; I just find that insta comment REALLY fascinating.

They didn't say that they are not affiliated with IBLP. They said they're not affiliated with Gothard or ATI, which is, actually, quite a bit different.

1 minute ago, Pretzel said:

They didn't say that they are not affiliated with IBLP. They said they're not affiliated with Gothard or ATI, which is, actually, quite a bit different.

Exactly, it was worded in such a way that they still have a loophole for supporting IBLP, Gil and Chad's father as they both continue running the evil empire. 

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Mrs Ms, the recommendations have been to breastfeed for at least an year and "as long thereafter as mom and baby desire" since the early 2000s.  This is from the statement on breastfeeding of the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding.  The WHO recommendations have been for at least a year for longer than that.  Both the AAP and WHO do recommend that babies begin appropriate complementary foods around the middle of the first year (i.e. 6 months.)

FWIW: recommendations are about far more than just what is a healthy period of time to breastfeed.   What constitutes "best practice" is very tied up in what outcomes organisations are looking for. Particularly with the WHO, there is a lot tied up with rate of reproduction (esp the work they're doing in the global south). 

eg.: the recommended 2 year gap between pregnancies - who is that best practice for?  If a wealthy western women is 34, and this is her first pregnancy, and the couple want several children, it's madness to suggest she wait two years + between pregnancies.  A 16 year old Eritrean girl? Totally different story.  

12 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Exactly.  That was my point.  It's kind of a lot of hair splitting, really.

On February 17, 2016 at 9:37 AM, HereticHick said:

Lawson is (or at least pretends to be) pursuing a career in country music, and since he does very few live gigs, he is mainly pursuing it through social media.  

Before every social media post, he should ask himself, "Could this possibly hurt my image? Could this possibly hurt my career?"

Unfortunately, critical thinking skills have been blanket-trained out of him from an early age.

He's in good company with a lot of other celebrities. Kanye West doesn't think before he tweets either.

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

He's in good company with a lot of other celebrities. Kanye West doesn't think before he tweets either.

:Bazinga:

According to the latest lawsuit papers Gil receives compensation from IBLP. I was never sure up until now. I figured he was because grifters typically don't do things for free. 

People can believe what they want. Personally, I don't trust anything any of these people say. They're well versed in telling pretty half-truths and dancing around certain topics. The Bates family, in general, is just far more talented at it than most of the other families.

That includes the adult married kids by the way. I have zero doubts that they are all still involved in these cult teachings and have no interest in moving away from those beliefs. All the cute photo ops and country bumpkin editing won't change that - and it will get out eventually. It's simply a matter of time.

I also think they're still thick in the cult, and probably saying they don't support Gothard because Gothard told them it would be better to put some distance for awhile.  These are inner circle families and it's not like there was some sudden, recent revelation.

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

If you are referring to this blog post: http://12paines.com/category/serving-at-headquarters/

it is dated Feb. 12, 2011 at the bottom of it.

2 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

IIRC that dinner (several years ago) is where Chad and Erin met.

Isn't it going to be terribly expensive for them, if Erin is going to go through umpteen high-risk pregnancies, (medication, extra appointments, possible hopitalizations, etc) with the absurd insurance system in the US? 

Soooooo clearly the Paines don't  update.  Since it was a Valentine's Day post, I just assumed it was current.  Lol.  Ive never looked at their blog before!

Is Thomas Paine fundie lite? I've never actually looked into the Paine's that closely, but he seems a bit less conservative. 

8 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Is Thomas Paine fundie lite? I've never actually looked into the Paine's that closely, but he seems a bit less conservative. 

I don't follow them closely, but IIRC he and his wife met at HQ where they both worked... and then sort of renounced the lifestyle. His wife wears pants, shorts and bikinis and as fa as I know there haven't been any announcements of little Blessings, either.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived