IGNORED

What is cuddly, fluffy and starts with an E? Sarah Maxwell Gets a Dog

albanuadh_1

8 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

That comment about the beef hearts didn't sound like a joke to me. It sounded like normal dog training talk. The Maxwells are weird with a capital W!

They're so sheltered, they can't even tell dog talk from a joke. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is off topic, but I just read the first Moody book. I'm amazed at how much prayer and Bible reading was in that book. I know I shouldn't be, but I am still amazed. Every meal began with a prayer, of course, and nighttime was a whole boatload of Bibles and prayers. After the opening Bible time prayer, after Bible time itself, and after praying with the children before bed, Mr. Moody would then retire to the living room to read his Bible. Every morning was everyone's personal time with their Bible too. WTF? HOW much Bible can there be?! I grew up catholic. Once a week we heard the priest read from it at church. Boom. Bible time done. 

The response to the beef heart comment was weird, I agree. If they worried it was a joke, why even post it?

Obviously, Sarah, with her two weeks of dog training, knows much more than this person's grandmother.

I'm guessing they'll get lots of responses about how it's not weird or a joke.  Our dogs are the only ones who eat the turkey gizzards from the cavity our Thanksgiving turkey (although we cook them first, of course).

On 1/25/2016 at 1:13 PM, albanuadh_1 said:

Sarah's latest post...

Wow - I know I am late to this thread (just reactivated) but I am amazed they allowed her to get a dog.  Hopefully Sarah won't allow Ellie to become "an idol" lest Steve-hovah take it away... 

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:34 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Hey!!  Poor Sarah's super secret dog training treats are Made In USA!  I can feel good about something the dear lady is doing: advertising !  Yay, Poor Sarah. Responsible consuming, IMHO.  And that opinion has forever been colored by the bad food that was imported some years ago and resulted in the miserable deaths of hundreds of helpless dogs, so yeah, USA! in this case, without apology. 

I am near to paranoid about what my dog eats--no Chinese ingredients, very little grain, no ethoxyquin (spelling?) etc.  Whenever boneless chicken breast is on sale I buy up a family pack and make chicken jerky.  This might be a repeat on my part, but anyone concerned about their pets' food can check out the site Truth about Pet Food which is run by Susan Thixton.  Hopefully the Maxwells won't take meat out of Elle's diet like they did out of their own burritos.

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

This is off topic, but I just read the first Moody book. I'm amazed at how much prayer and Bible reading was in that book. I know I shouldn't be, but I am still amazed. Every meal began with a prayer, of course, and nighttime was a whole boatload of Bibles and prayers. After the opening Bible time prayer, after Bible time itself, and after praying with the children before bed, Mr. Moody would then retire to the living room to read his Bible. Every morning was everyone's personal time with their Bible too. WTF? HOW much Bible can there be?! I grew up catholic. Once a week we heard the priest read from it at church. Boom. Bible time done. 

It's disturbing isn't it. Considering Sarah got ideas from her own life I guess the Maxwell spend more time praying & reading the Bible then I thought. 

Thanks for link, Granwych. I know people who know people who feed their dogs vegan chow. [dark humor] Unless it's made from the bodies of dearly departed vegans [\dark humor], I cannot see how that would be good for naturally omnivorous predators,  even if they have been domesticated.

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

They're so sheltered, they can't even tell dog talk from a joke. 

They're so sheltered they can't even tell cheese paper from a joke, so maybe our expectations are unreasonable here. ;)

43 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Thanks for link, Granwych. I know people who know people who feed their dogs vegan chow. [dark humor] Unless it's made from the bodies of dearly departed vegans [\dark humor], I cannot see how that would be good for naturally omnivorous predators,  even if they have been domesticated.

Vegan  blogger and chef, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau says that it you are going to have cats, in particular, you cannot feed them a vegan diet.  You must make a choice: own a cat and feed it a diet which contains meat or just not own a cat.  Cats are obligate carnivores.  Dogs may be able to fed a vegetarian diet, but it is not optimal for them.  Dogs certainly would not eat a vegetarian diet in the wild.

Jackson Galaxy ("the Cat Daddy") agrees with Colleen and so does a vet tech who wrote a article for VegNews a few years ago about why cats need to eat meat and why you should either feed it to them or not have a cat

The fact that they think the frozen beef heart treats is a joke just proves they haven't read anything about modern dog training or nutrition.  I'm sure they think they know everything already and don't have to do any research.  The joke is on them because research on dog nutrition has really changed in the last 20 years.  I despair of them and their choice to remain ignorant rather than read something other than the Bible.  Heh.  Going by the Bible maybe they think they should feed their dog chopped up heathens or table scraps.

1 Kings 16:4  Him that dieth of Baasha in the city shall the dogs eat; and him that dieth of his in the fields shall the fowls of the air eat.

1 Kings 21: 23  And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Matthew 15:27  And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

I don't have dogs, didn't grow up with dogs, and generally know jack shit about dogs, and yet that lady's beef hearts story didn't sound weird to me. I can understand saying "Sorry, I'm just too squeamish! We buy pre-made treats," but to think someone must be joking who says they cut up meat scraps and freeze them for their dogs is bizarre. 

Someone commented on the last moody drawing post "Happy ash wednesday"... do the maxwells celebrate that? i thought it was just catholics.

Yes, this! 

I would not personally fancy the task of making those treats, but whoever wrote that message was just totally disrespectful to someone's grandmother.

They were probably just pissed off that someone jumped in with a different idea, when the purpose of the blog post was to earn affilliate income from amazon.

1 minute ago, blessalessi said:

They were probably just pissed off that someone jumped in with a different idea, when the purpose of the blog post was to earn affilliate income from amazon.

Oh my goodness, I didn't even think of that. God. Steve is nasty. 

4 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Someone commented on the last moody drawing post "Happy ash wednesday"... do the maxwells celebrate that? i thought it was just catholics.

Lent tends to be a celebration of liturgical churches like the Catholic, Anglican, Orthodox and Lutheran churches, but some non-liturgical Protestants commemorate it as well.  I would imagine that the Maxwells would be in the "No Lent" category.  The ashes, btw, are traditionally the ashes from the previous year's Palm Sunday palms.

4 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Lent tends to be a celebration of liturgical churches like the Catholic, Anglican, Orthodox and Lutheran churches, but some non-liturgical Protestants commemorate it as well.  I would imagine that the Maxwells would be in the "No Lent" category.  The ashes, btw, are traditionally the ashes from the previous year's Palm Sunday palms.

I grew up catholic and I really thought it was just us... cool to learn, thanks!

Whewwee ( TM Poor Sarah Maxwell), handling raw meat makes a person tough?  Oh Poor Sarah (Steve), no wonder there's no beef filling in the burritos anymore!  

If the family members are that averse to handling raw meats, they must have been buying precooked burgers and crumbling them into the burritos?!

Do they not get the concept of, y'know, **cooking meat so that it isn't a health hazard?!

Just when I think they've reached the limits of incomprehensibility, they go another mile. 

Gotta hand it to them! But only if it's been cooked somewhere else. 

SMH so hard I'm about dizzy.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@MamaJunebug,  I'm a vegetarian and I'm not that squeamish about handling meat.  I don't relish it, but I don't hate it either.  I just don't eat it.  

Maybe the Maxwells are on the road to a meatless cuisine ... no more squirting sausages!!!!

well, tablescraps from most people's houses wouldn't be the end of the world for a dog. It's just that the maxwell tablescraps don't have near enough protein, I wouldn't think.

My theory on Stevehovah letting Sarah get Ellie, is that Steve wanted another dog and training it gives Sarah something else to do. (Besides write another book.) Maybe, Ellie will be trained to clean those lower cabinets too.

We don't feed our dog human leftovers, she is not a garbage disposal.  Table scraps are too high in salt, preservatives, and carbs.  An occasional piece of uneaten steak is OK but what most people feed their dogs from the table is stuff like bread, cheese, and bacon.  Not good for dogs.  I know I sound like the (dog) food Police, but most American dogs are fat, farty, and with poor skin and teeth.

While cats are definitely true carnivores, I think dogs are much more flexible. There is at least one case of a dog who was fed a vegan diet who lived to an exceptionally old age.I  I just tried to look it up and apparently the dog's name was Brambles and she lived to be over 27 years old (yes, twenty seven!). Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with feeding a dog a veggie diet. I am a vegetarian myself, and my own dogs always have meat-based dog food available to them but they really prefer fresh vegetables and fruit over kibble (and even like vegetarian meat substitutes), so I could definitely see them being happy on a veggie diet if I were willing to put the time into figuring out how to make such a diet nutritionally balanced for them. 

I normally don't visit the Maxwell's blog too often (reading it is akin to watching paint dry), but I must confess I've been visiting it more often lately because PUPPY PICTURES OMG OMG SQUEE. The Maxwells may lead depressing lives under the rule of Stevehovah, but that is one darn cute doggie!

(We don't have dogs ourselves right now, but when we get a house with a yard we want to adopt a golden retriever!)

I've been vegetarian for 27 years. My cat is on a grain free diet with no meat byproducts. (Blue mountain, blue wilderness, something like that is the brand I get for her.)

Also I bring her meat scraps from work sometimes as a treat. Only the best for my little brat.

Archived