IGNORED

What is cuddly, fluffy and starts with an E? Sarah Maxwell Gets a Dog

albanuadh_1

I like to think of Calia & Ellie as the Stewie & Brian of Maxhell.  Also, that is probably one of least crazy eyed & slightly creepy pictures of Joseph that I've ever seen.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several years ago we got some new neighbours, and I remember them saying that they wouldn't have kids: their pets were their kids.

They have kids now :P

I am surprised that the dog was in the house. I wonder when the weather gets better....

Is mine a cream??

IMG_1542.JPG

9 hours ago, sparkles said:

Do I think Steve knows about FJ? Absolutely, most likely through the same grapevine from which he gets the news. But seriously, FJ mentions there are few pictures of Lydia so he posts a bunch in response? Do you really think he give a shit about what FJ has to say about something so trivial? If anything, since he feels so validated by the "naysayers" (and we're STILL waiting for Part 2, Steve) he wouldn't do a thing to appease us.

I'm still waiting for the promised post about using a pizza cutter to cut romaine lettuce.  If romaine lettuce is on sale when I go shopping on Sunday, however will I be able to cut if the DON'T DO THIS POST!  Last time, I forced to use a chef's knife to cut it, but if I'm going to go to hell when I die for doing it I want know!

That could be a test to see if Steve does read here.  Where is the post??  

I use a ceramic knife so the lettuce won't turn.

I'm a little jealous of Sarah.  That's a lovely puppy and I wouldn't mind having one, too.  

5 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Calia is 6 months old?? Does anyone else find her a bit on the thin side?

Maybe those giant flowers make her look small in comparison.

Poor Calia, she didn't look too impressed with Ellie.  I wonder if she's a fussy baby?  It seems a lot of pics we've seen of her she looks unhappy.  The happiest I've seen her was in the Christmas caroling post when Elissa and Joseph had everybody over for dinner.

She wasn't wearing a flower then, come to think of it.  Coincidence?

Ellie is SO CUTE!!!!!! My family fostered Golden Retrievers when I was a teenager, and she is just reminding me of the puppy fosters we took in...one of them even would chew and grab onto our own dog's tail! Then, our dog would get up and walk around the house to get away from the puppy...dragging him behind her on her tail!

I also am laughing because I know of another dog named Ellie. Same name. Except, that dog belongs to my very, very, lesbian colleague from school. Who named her after Ellen Page, because she got the dog not long after Page came out.

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I am surprised that the dog was in the house. I wonder when the weather gets better....

Is mine a cream??

IMG_1542.JPG

Nope - yours is the 'normal' color. But it's also the head shape- they tend to have blockier heads and much heavier bone than is normal in pet goldens. 

In the latest post all the maxwells are cuddling Elle the puppy.    John looks especially gorgeous cuddling the puppy.     I want to tell John I've got a couple of puppies here for him to cuddle too

I'm genuinely happy for Sarah. Clearly Ellie is the baby she will likely never have at this point - the family photos with the pup remind me of the photos of the family welcoming all the human babies into the family. But I tend to think she will be great with a dog - if anything a Maxhell lifestyle means a heavy emphasis on training and discipline, which is what a puppy needs.

I need a moment to gush on that puppy face. I would melt too if I got to cuddle that dog. Alas I have a feline overlord and my lifestyle makes a dog a bit tough right now, though I would personally want a pug (I have experience with that breed and they are great city/condo living pets).

Sarah seems so happy and the whole Maxwell clan appears to enjoy the puppy a lot. Nice to see Sarah has gotten her a pink collar and leash. If the dog is well taken care of and groomed and treated with respect I have no doubt lil Ellie will have a more joyful life in Maxhell than some of the Maxwellians. 

If this little "baby" brings some joy and (individual) routine into Sarahs life, then good for her. The Maxwells are dangerous in their teachings, sheltered and dorky, but they are not dumb (dumb ala Duggar/Bates and other ATI folks). They know the responsibility that comes with a pet. 

Maybe the dog will also bring a little joy and spontaneity into Teri's life. That Sarah is in her mid-30s and sheltered, or that Steve is controlling af, and Teri's depressed and addicted to Pepsi doesn't matter to a dog. She'll love Sarah unconditionally and form a bond with her and that is more than most people can say about their relationship with Sarah Maxwell. Maybe the dog will even count as a chaperone and Sarah will get some alone time. 

Also, dogs need a lot of walks, so Sarah will have to take it around the neighborhood. And especially when Ellie is a puppy, having her will lead to non-fundie and non-family social interaction. Because puppies are adorable, so people like to stop you to gush over it or let their kids pet it. It's not like that would lead to escape, but it could make Sarah less afraid of the world. Even the scariest-looking people love puppies. Once, when one of my family's dogs was a puppy, this scary-looking biker at a rest stop cooed over her, asked to hold her and gently cradled her like a baby, and even kissed her. I was so surprised!

Unless the dog is like a prop....Lolly the clown style.

Why yes you can pet my pup, but do you know where you will go when you die?

10 hours ago, Mango said:

Nope - yours is the 'normal' color. But it's also the head shape- they tend to have blockier heads and much heavier bone than is normal in pet goldens. 

TY :)

On 1/25/2016 at 3:21 PM, Jingerale said:

I wonder if Ellie will be required to have Bible Time.

Ellie won't mind, most likely. She'll probably sleep with her head on Sarah's feet and sigh deeply at intervals to show how contented she is. Unless she wants to play, and they won't let her at that moment (because it's bible time), in which case she'll sigh deeply to let them know how patient and long-suffering she is, and she'll roll her eyes and look pathetic and ill-fed (even if she's a roly poly overstuffed pup) and in severe need of petting.

Dogs have a way of expressing themselves quite clearly.

15 minutes ago, refugee said:

Ellie won't mind, most likely. She'll probably sleep with her head on Sarah's feet and sigh deeply at intervals to show how contented she is. Unless she wants to play, and they won't let her at that moment (because it's bible time), in which case she'll sigh deeply to let them know how patient and long-suffering she is, and she'll roll her eyes and look pathetic and ill-fed (even if she's a roly poly overstuffed pup) and in severe need of petting.

Dogs have a way of expressing themselves quite clearly.

I hope she moos her disapproval like my Janak does.  Sounds just like a loud, annoyed cow.  :pb_lol:

17 hours ago, kpmom said:

Maybe those giant flowers make her look small in comparison.

Poor Calia, she didn't look too impressed with Ellie.  I wonder if she's a fussy baby?  It seems a lot of pics we've seen of her she looks unhappy.  The happiest I've seen her was in the Christmas caroling post when Elissa and Joseph had everybody over for dinner.

She wasn't wearing a flower then, come to think of it.  Coincidence?

Calia was born small but they claim she was term. My daughter was 34/35 weeks and born small for that date. She has remained small and won't even hit 5'. She walked and talked before a year which was kind of scary since she was talking when she was the size of a newborn Jill/Jessa baby. I watched her like a hawk with her academic progress. No real idea why she was always so small (her brother is 6'5") but she started high school classes at 12 so she is super smart in a small package!

I just hope since it was a home birth the Maxwell's have some well checks. I know they are health nuts but do we know if they get well checks and shots? I guess another benefit of the Maxwell lifestyle , is a small baby is not exposed to a lot of outsiders or germs during the winter months. Maybe I am overprotective but I would not hold such a small baby close to a puppy.

12 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

Maybe I am overprotective but I would not hold such a small baby close to a puppy.

I agree.  Babies have a tendency to grab, and puppies that young can be very mouthy.  Holding them at face level isn't a good idea.  Both of them are completely unpredictable at this point.

11 minutes ago, Koala said:

I agree.  Babies have a tendency to grab, and puppies that young can be very mouthy.  Holding them at face level isn't a good idea.  Both of them are completely unpredictable at this point.

I di hope they'll have sense enough to never leave one of the babies or small children alone with Ellie.  Golden are wonderful dogs, but wonderful dogs have been known to bite, maybe accidentally but you still don't want to take a chance.  If you ever want to read something really horrifying,  read the wikipedia list of dog bite fatalities.  Even small dogs have killed infants.

@Mango, I hate to hear that some breeders of Goldens are doing to the breed what some breeders of Labradors have done to Labs. Golden and Labs need to have their hunting breeding respected and preserved.  I am not a hunter, but I do think the hunting lines are healthier.

Oh there's plenty of proof Steve reads here beyond typos. Remember the song bombing comments a few years ago. Some of them legitimately sounded real unless you were very aware and looking. No way Steve deleted them all without reading here. 

Furthermore his pictures exif data was out there for easy access. Never anything noteworthy until the failed Joseph engagement though. Then I mentioned it and bam they changed their photo settings within a week or two. 

I don't think he reads here all the time but he certainly skims. A narcissistic asshole like him has to know what's being said. 

Not sure if anyone else clocked this yet but there has been a significant amount of comment culling over at the Maxhell blog, mainly to the Ellie post. 

Could it be that Sarah posted most everything that was submitted and then Steve came along behind her and 'took out the trash'? There were a few subtleties that might have gone over her head amoug initial replies.

Either that or the sheer volume of interest in the dog grated on Steve. 

On 1/28/2016 at 2:14 AM, Pretzel said:

I'm honestly interested in why you think that dog food pellets or canned dog food are better than some leftover chicken or some raw beef? Our dog usually gets leftover meat and grains, some leftover veggies, sometimes raw meat and has never felt better. Before that, she's reacted with an allergy to the pellets because dog food contains a lot of Vitamin A and other added ingredients, which can cause rashes and itching in dogs and affect their joints. 

ETA: You said quality food, I read "quality dog food", apology in advance if you meant what I was saying. 

Raw food diets are great...if you know what you are doing, have access to good quality meat, and feed them in the right proportions.  Yes, many kibble brands are crap *cough purina cough* and many have been tested and found to contain molds which can cause allergies.  However one of the five star brands such as Orijens coupled with high quality canned food with limited ingredients is the way I feed my dog.  First because the top brands of grain-free canned foods come in a wide variety of protein  sources such as lamb, salmon, bison, venison, duck, rabbit, and wild boar.  Second, I know that she is covered nutritionally.  Third, I found raw feeding too messy and my dog refused a number of raw foods such as fish and eggs.  I was always a little too worried about salmonella and cross contamination and I found it difficult and expensive to find different protein sources.  By the way, I still feed her her raw meat bones three times a week and tripe (which is preferable to vegetables) as a once in awhile treat because she loves it so much.

However my original comment referred to the fact that too many people feed their dogs table scraps.  The Standard American Diet (SAD) is not great for humans and it is terrible for dogs: way too much salt, sugar, processed carbohydrates, and preservatives.  Ham, for example is toxic and can kill a dog. In addition many people who feed their dogs scraps end up with overweight dogs because it is given in addition to their regular diet.  A large dog especially needs to be kept at weight or better yet slightly under so that there is less strain on the joints. Also large dogs need to eat food formulated for large breeds so that they don't grow too fast. Hopefully the breeder will have given all of this information to Sarah because I doubt she will be doing any on-line research or reading any books about dogs.

12 hours ago, clese said:

In the latest post all the maxwells are cuddling Elle the puppy.    John looks especially gorgeous cuddling the puppy.     I want to tell John I've got a couple of puppies here for him to cuddle too

:Bazinga:

Archived