IGNORED

What is cuddly, fluffy and starts with an E? Sarah Maxwell Gets a Dog

albanuadh_1

2 hours ago, Sundaymorning said:

<snip>I'm also pretty sure Stevehova at least sometimes reads here. Which brings me to the question if he ever rethinks his behaviour and actions when he gets criticised once again for harming his family? </snip>

I don't think he re-examines his behaviour based on FJ criticisms. He's 100% convinced that he's right about everything and no God-less heathen is going to tell him otherwise on the internet.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I know I'm probably a Party of One on this but even though I think Steve is a seriously dangerous and damaged man:

1. I don't think that he reads here. So typos on the blog are corrected. Not exactly unheard of. I have a blog and no matter how carefully I try to proof, I almost always find errors that I go back and fix. Same goes for what I post here. Sometimes I read something I've posted and I almost sound illiterate. If the editing window is still open, I'll fix the post. No one has to tell me; I find things myself. Same, I'd say with Steve and Sarah. And if THEY don't find the errors, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that a loyal blog reader has pointed them out. I really don't think FJ is Steve's editor.

That being said, I do think there are loyal leghumpers (or possibly disgruntled former posters—can't remember the name of the one who said she/he was going to tip off bloggers to FJ) who tip him off regarding stuff that's said here and in other places on the interwebs that are critical of him, since he's talked about "haters" validating what he's doing. But I DON'T think he modifies what he posts or features something on the blog in response. I also don't think he's amused by us because I don't think he cares.

2. I also think that while Sarah probably had to ask if a dog was okay, since it's still her parents' home, she will probably have sole responsibility for the pup and will take appropriate care of it, including spending HER money to ensure that care. If nothing else, the Maxwells have shown themselves to have a soft spot for animals. Notwithstanding treeing the cat for the Moody illustrator (WTF) and not mentioning Honey's passing (Steve's hangup) there are several instances on the blog where, among other things, they rescued and hand-raised abandoned baby squirrels. So I think the Sarah will give the dog a lot of love and care and vice-versa, although I hope it doesn't end up being a substitute for a child (and here we need someone to jump in and tell us A PET IS NOT THE SAME AS A CHILD, HOW DARE YOU!)

3. The adult children are indeed sheltered, especially the girls, but I do think they have quite a bit of autonomy at this point, although still limited by the Maxwell beliefs. It certainly appears that they have their own money and can travel alone, although they're so conditioned they probably don't want to. I actually think they'd be freaked out by the idea of privacy and being alone–it's just not what they know. So the choices they make really ARE choices, just ones that have been limited from the get-go.

4. Finally, I think (my brain hurts from all this thinking) that if they girls HAD to go out into the world and work, they'd be fine. Do I think they'd take over the business world? Are they the writers, artists and nutritionists Steve likes to talk about? Hell no. But they have skills, including practical skills that some of today's college graduates don't have, they have an enviable work ethic, they're attractive, polite and they know how to follow directions. They'd be excellent team players, not leaders, but not everyone can be a leader. If they had to start at a low level job they'd probably learn and advance and do just fine.

Again, I HATE Steve and what he stands for with the power of a thousand suns but I think (there I go thinking again) there's a tendency to go overboard when discussing him sometimes.

Yeah, but beyond typos, Steve edits and removes stuff that is called out for other reasons.  Also, didn't @treemom meet him at a conference where he showed that he was aware of fj?

I know that anyone can make stuff up on the internet, but when I read the Max Archive threads, an awful lot of posters seem to have made independent reports to suggest Steve very much monitors the boards.

To be fair, I would imagine he feels a need to read here, if only to know what the extended family are smirking about, because it is almost certain that some of them must read here after having their Facebook pages robbed of information for fj purposs. ;)

Also, on autonomy, Sarah wrote in Hearts that it was a condition of having a car that she always takes a chaperone on trips.

Yes, they have bounded choice. That is not the same as autonomy.

1 hour ago, sparkles said:

Okay, I know I'm probably a Party of One on this but even though I think Steve is a seriously dangerous and damaged man:

3. The adult children are indeed sheltered, especially the girls, but I do think they have quite a bit of autonomy at this point, although still limited by the Maxwell beliefs. It certainly appears that they have their own money and can travel alone, although they're so conditioned they probably don't want to. I actually think they'd be freaked out by the idea of privacy and being alone–it's just not what they know. So the choices they make really ARE choices, just ones that have been limited from the get-go.

I agree with much of what you wrote, although I might take out the word "quite" in the first sentence above, so it reads "...they have a bit of autonomy at this point.."

I do believe Sarah has her own money, although I don't imagine she's allowed to keep all her Moody earnings.  Years ago when they were pushing their Preparing Sons book, they mentioned all of their sons had good savings accounts and even Sarah had a nice nest egg (they were trying to make the case that the book could apply to daughters too).

I do think she'll take very good care of her new dog, and won't deny the dog good food, vet care, etc.  I also like that she made it very clear in the post that Ellie is her dog.  Even when she wrote that she prayed about getting a dog (insert eye roll emoticon here) she didn't mention once about talking it over with her parents or getting permission. 

I'm sure she ran it past them, but she really makes it sound like it was her decision.  It seems like one of the healthier posts we've seen from Sarah.

2 hours ago, sparkles said:

1. I don't think that he reads here. So typos on the blog are corrected. Not exactly unheard of. I have a blog and no matter how carefully I try to proof, I almost always find errors that I go back and fix. Same goes for what I post here. Sometimes I read something I've posted and I almost sound illiterate. If the editing window is still open, I'll fix the post. No one has to tell me; I find things myself. Same, I'd say with Steve and Sarah. And if THEY don't find the errors, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that a loyal blog reader has pointed them out. I really don't think FJ is Steve's editor.

That being said, I do think there are loyal leghumpers (or possibly disgruntled former posters—can't remember the name of the one who said she/he was going to tip off bloggers to FJ) who tip him off regarding stuff that's said here and in other places on the interwebs that are critical of him, since he's talked about "haters" validating what he's doing. But I DON'T think he modifies what he posts or features something on the blog in response. I also don't think he's amused by us because I don't think he cares.

2. I also think that while Sarah probably had to ask if a dog was okay, since it's still her parents' home, she will probably have sole responsibility for the pup and will take appropriate care of it, including spending HER money to ensure that care. If nothing else, the Maxwells have shown themselves to have a soft spot for animals. Notwithstanding treeing the cat for the Moody illustrator (WTF) and not mentioning Honey's passing (Steve's hangup) there are several instances on the blog where, among other things, they rescued and hand-raised abandoned baby squirrels. So I think the Sarah will give the dog a lot of love and care and vice-versa, although I hope it doesn't end up being a substitute for a child (and here we need someone to jump in and tell us A PET IS NOT THE SAME AS A CHILD, HOW DARE YOU!)

4. Finally, I think (my brain hurts from all this thinking) that if they girls HAD to go out into the world and work, they'd be fine. Do I think they'd take over the business world? Are they the writers, artists and nutritionists Steve likes to talk about? Hell no. But they have skills, including practical skills that some of today's college graduates don't have, they have an enviable work ethic, they're attractive, polite and they know how to follow directions. They'd be excellent team players, not leaders, but not everyone can be a leader. If they had to start at a low level job they'd probably learn and advance and do just fine.

Again, I HATE Steve and what he stands for with the power of a thousand suns but I think (there I go thinking again) there's a tendency to go overboard when discussing him sometimes.

I don't think he reads here either. It is just not in character based on what we know about him. Like Sparkles says, he just would not care.  I think it is highly unlikely someone like him would bother. He is far too tightly wound and controlled.

Also guys, you do realize he has heavy censor software on his devices, right? This site would be blocked because of content and language. I agree again with Sparkles an occasional fan might keep him up to date on what the evil interwebz is doing to persecute him and steal his children's hearts.

He edits some but not all errors on his blog. Big deal. So do a lot of people. It is his professional storefront so I would hope he'd read the posts and correct typos. Everyone thinks John is cute so he limits pics of John? Again, big deal. John seems to be the most secretive, most worldly,  and least automatronic of the reversals. He was and is Steve's most difficult, least compliant child (oddly, based on what we know, there are millions of parents who would be grateful for a rebelliousness as limited as John's), so yeah, I bet his blog time is limited relative to other kids. He also does not have the same types of online businesses to promote that his brothers have.

So again, those are the largest pieces of evidence that people use to prove Steve reads here, but they don't convince me. Steve's internet is censored and his personality is not the type that can brook anything that conflicts with his world view. Those two things - especially the former - are much stronger evidence to me that he does not.

Agree to disagree. I bet you any money I have that Sarah was 'worried' about her 'future' and they gave her the puppy to shut her off.

As for Steve-O reading here, i'm sure he does... @treemom's account of meeting the Maxwells proves it.

57 minutes ago, blessalessi said:

I know that anyone can make stuff up on the internet, but when I read the Max Archive threads, an awful lot of posters seem to have made independent reports to suggest Steve very much monitors the boards.

I don't think those are reports as much as speculations based on other speculations. As far as I recall, only @treemom (with emmiedahl and Alecto??), @MamaJunebug@Palimpsestand @Talitha Cumihave been anywhere near the Maxwells. Oh, yeah and that chick that sat outside the MaxHouse waiting for a sighting....

So here is that "report" from emmiedahl that "confirms" Steve passionately reads FreeJinger

She seriously walked up to Steve and said, "I am from Freejinger and I want you to know that we are watching you because you are a cult. I live here and I don't want you spreading your poison and your lies and destroying families here. You have ruined your children's lives, and even my husband thinks you have ruined their lives."

A few notes I want to interject here. First, Steve totally knows us. He had a look of recognition and a bit of contempt when Treemom said the name of the website. Second, Steve is a cold and scary man. I briefly was in the same space as Charles Manson once (long story) and that is the demeanor. Cold, smooth and reptilian. At this point, Smirky McSmirkerson was watching and smirking, as was Teri, Anna, and a whole lotta people.

This is the famous FreeJinger raid on a Maxwell Memphis conference. I hate bringing it up because treemom gets picked on over certain aspects and she is my girl, but again, the "proof" is speculation from a couple of very excited and charged up posters, not any sort of acknowledgement from Steve.

Eh, I reckon he reads here too. Know thine enemy and all that. We were saying how few pictures there were of Lydia... KABLAM she gets featured fairly prominently.

@HermioneSparrow mentions the content blockers, but Steve is likely in control of those and can switch them on/off. 

No, Teri and Anna control them. I doubt Steve lies about that kind of stuff. His family would know.

25 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Eh, I reckon he reads here too. Know thine enemy and all that. We were saying how few pictures there were of Lydia... KABLAM she gets featured fairly prominently. 

Do I think Steve knows about FJ? Absolutely, most likely through the same grapevine from which he gets the news. But seriously, FJ mentions there are few pictures of Lydia so he posts a bunch in response? Do you really think he give a shit about what FJ has to say about something so trivial? If anything, since he feels so validated by the "naysayers" (and we're STILL waiting for Part 2, Steve) he wouldn't do a thing to appease us.

Yeah, seriously @sparkles . For every correction to which Steve "responds", there are a dozen items we have pointed out that have not magically appeared corrected on the blog. It is fun to think we have a direct impact, but the chances are tiny that he reads this forum and even tinier that he would change anything if he did.

This is an FJ urban legend without one iota of hard evidence.

40 minutes ago, sparkles said:

Do I think Steve knows about FJ? Absolutely, most likely through the same grapevine from which he gets the news. But seriously, FJ mentions there are few pictures of Lydia so he posts a bunch in response? Do you really think he give a shit about what FJ has to say about something so trivial? If anything, since he feels so validated by the "naysayers" (and we're STILL waiting for Part 2, Steve) he wouldn't do a thing to appease us.

O.k., if Part 2 shows up in the next few days we'll take it as a sign he does read here. :my_smile:

C'mon Steve, write Part 2.   Give us a sign!

Sparkles has been saying that for ages. I guess Jesse is too busy being a swift otter

The whole family have met Ellie. Lydia and Ruthie love her, and even Calia's met her. Apparently Ellie is full of energy and spunk!

That post broke my heart a little.  It was just like the new baby posts they do...only with a dog.  Ellie is officially Sarah's baby.

Like I said before- I do think this is a good thing, and I truly think having Ellie may save Sarah...but it's a bit sad too.  :pb_sad:  Not really because Sarah won't marry and have children- because honestly I doubt she's in any shape for that right now.  More of a sad for what could have been.  You look at the pics they have posted of Sarah before they all went stark raving mad, and you see so much potential for life.  They took all of that from her and reduced her to a 34 year old woman who shares a room with her sisters and has no hope of having a life of her own.  She could have done things!  She could have had a family AND a dog.  Or a career...or both.  So many choices, and they ripped that all away from her.

The same thing happened to my best friend- her life today is in complete shambles and I put a huge portion of the blame on her parents.  Of course they get to go on their merry way while she suffers the consequences.  

People like Steve and Terry feel like they are entitled to live twice.  Once for themselves, and once for the lives and choices they steal from their children.

Everyone looks really happy with Ellie. I hope Sarah finds a lot of joy in her. Let's hope this little puppy is just tiding her over until she has a family of her own or finds some other way to lead a happy and fulfilling live.

Also: Ruthanne is a major cutie!

I really like the blue fleece sweater thing Anna is wearing in one of the photos. She looks so much like her mother!

The same is true for Abigail. From the side, I can see so much of Melanie in her.

And Sarah's writing on that blog post is natural and spontaneous:  "she melts me when she climbs into my lap.'

OTOH:  I think Sarah knows on some level that Ellie is her future; note the choice of Bible verse:  "Because thou hast been my help,
therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice."  I know she doesn't think she's describing Ellie, I think in the bottom of her heart, she is.

The Maxwells certainly appear to be be doing a good job with Ellie.  I don't see any pictures of her being held inappropriately and I like how they were using treats as a reward for her lessons.  I loved that shot of her in GiGi's lap.

Seems I stirred up some feelings about Stevie's reading habits.  I'm sure he's heard of freejinger.  He can be aware of the site and contents without reading here. Others have made the argument much more compleat than I can. 

Calia is 6 months old?? Does anyone else find her a bit on the thin side?

Unless she's literally skin and bones, I wouldn't worry too much. Some babies are thinner than others.

Eta: now that I've had a chance to look at the picture, she looks fine to me. The angle she's at in the picture is odd though.

1 hour ago, Trynn said:

Unless she's literally skin and bones, I wouldn't worry too much. Some babies are thinner than others.

Eta: now that I've had a chance to look at the picture, she looks fine to me. The angle she's at in the picture is odd though.

She was born in October. She's 3 months old.

22 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

She was born in October. She's 3 months old.

And Elissa is naturally thin, so the baby may be thin. It happens.

Archived