IGNORED

Jessica Seewald Social Media

FJismyheadship

There was an article in Australia last year about an anti vax mother and her children.  The youngest got whooping cough and nearly died.  All children were vaccinated after that episode and she admitted she had been naive about how sick children could get.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I guess it must have been very strenuous for your mother to be with her grandmother?

In all seriousness, if there's one thing in the world that I really dislike, it's people who think they have a say in how another human deals with their bodily functions. I need to go to the restroom more often than the average healthy human and people who judge me, snark on me or try to shame me for having to pee can go care about themselves. 

Though it's great that in your world, EmCatlyn, girls learn "to hold it longer". It may come in handy at times, but it's not particularly healthy for the bladder, and I wouldn't want to be within a circle of people who'd expect me to keep it in longer when actually, what is long for a person depends on the person.

My mom adored her grandmother.  She always told the story with great amusement, usually in the context of reporting how disgusting a bathroom was or was not.  My great-grandmother's reason was squeamishness about public restrooms, not the desire to control someone else's bodily functions.   

This happened in the late 1920s and early 1930s.  My mother would have been 4 to 8 years old.  Her grandmother, who was born in the 19th century was not aware that there was any danger in "holding" it too long, and saw a lot of danger of contracting diseases in unclean outhouses and toilets. 

I told the story to illustrate with a funny anecdote that (except when pregnant or with UTIs) the women in my family don't have difficulty "holding it" longer than many men I have known.  (I honestly always thought that men as a group needed to relieve their bladders more often often than women did.).   Sorry if I hit a nerve.

21 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

My mom adored her grandmother.  She always told the story with great amusement, usually in the context of reporting how disgusting a bathroom was or was not.  My great-grandmother's reason was squeamishness about public restrooms, not the desire to control someone else's bodily functions.   

This happened in the late 1920s and early 1930s.  My mother would have been 4 to 8 years old.  Her grandmother, who was born in the 19th century was not aware that there was any danger in "holding" it too long, and saw a lot of danger of contracting diseases in unclean outhouses and toilets. 

I told the story to illustrate with a funny anecdote that (except when pregnant or with UTIs) the women in my family don't have difficulty "holding it" longer than many men I have known.  (I honestly always thought that men as a group needed to relieve their bladders more often often than women did.).   Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Nah, you didn't. :my_blush: My rant wasn't directed at you in particular, I just used your anecdote to get my general peeved-ness off my chest. 

20 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Nah, you didn't. :my_blush: My rant wasn't directed at you in particular, I just used your anecdote to get my general peeved-ness off my chest. 

Oh good. I know sometimes when people start talking about how easy it is to get into the habit of exercise or act as though anyone who doesn't joyfully get up at 6 am every morning is just a sloth, I can get really peeved.  We all find some things easier than others.

I got Flu and Whooping Cough vaccinations this winter. I don't like getting jabbed with needles - but the wellbeing of my future niece or nephew is more important to me. Their tiny little immune system won't be able to fight those off easily and last thing I want is to see them suffer because I chose not to get a shot.

Guess I'm just a better Auntie then Jessica. Sorry little Spurgeon! 

(Note, I'm not talking about people with allergies or compromised immune systems for whom vaccines can be dangerous. I'm specifically talking about asshats like Jessica who spread misinformation to promote their own screwed up beliefs and choose to put innocent people at risk because of it.)

22 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I got Flu and Whooping Cough vaccinations this winter. I don't like getting jabbed with needles - but the wellbeing of my future niece or nephew is more important to me. Their tiny little immune system won't be able to fight those off easily and last thing I want is to see them suffer because I chose not to get a shot.

Guess I'm just a better Auntie then Jessica. Sorry little Spurgeon! 

(Note, I'm not talking about people with allergies or compromised immune systems for whom vaccines can be dangerous. I'm specifically talking about asshats like Jessica who spread misinformation to promote their own screwed up beliefs and choose to put innocent people at risk because of it.)

We all got flu and whooping cough shots this fall as my daughter had a baby in November. She was expecting an early baby (due to mom's high blood pressure) and was worried about how small she would be and after 30 weeks it was a week to week thing as to how long mom would go before delivering. So we all got shots so that it would be one less thing for my daughter to stress about while on bedrest. Mom made it to 37 weeks.  Baby was a mighty 5 pounds and every time I look at those big blue eyes I think getting stuck with needles wasn't so bad afterall. It just wasn't worth the risk of her contracting something from  one of us that she just isn't strong enough or large enough to deal with.

We got the TDAP before we visited our grandson. He was failure to thrive for a while, didn't want to add to his problems.

Well Jenny McCarthy and this ignorant twit are both ashamed of all of you. Trying to keep babies healthy.... AT WHAT COST, I ask you? Do you even know how many kids caught autism from what you did? And probably caught gay, or something, too. For shame...

On January 14, 2016 at 8:19 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Yeah.  I still have the scar from the small pox vaccine fifty-five years ago (I was 5.)

I got my smallpox vaccine in 1971.  I don't suppose too many people in the U.S. got one later than that. Our pediatrician was pretty old fashioned. I do have a scar, but it has never been very noticeable.

I'm glad smallpox (natural, not lab sustained) is gone. I wish we could eliminate more diseases.

29 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I got my smallpox vaccine in 1971.  I don't suppose too many people in the U.S. got one later than that. Our pediatrician was pretty old fashioned. I do have a scar, but it has never been very noticeable.

I'm glad smallpox (natural, not lab sustained) is gone. I wish we could eliminate more diseases.

We got rid of rinderpest (which infects cattle, but it did cause huge losses in herds before it was eradicated), and we've come close to getting rid of polio, but unfortunately, these days it's endemic to areas with a lot of conflict, which makes it difficult to distribute the vaccine, and it made a big resurgence in South Asia recently because one of the covers the CIA used to find Osama Bin Laden in Abbottabad was immunization workers. So now a lot of community leaders think/spread rumors that immunization workers are CIA agents or otherwise agents of the West, further turning people off of vaccinations. Sometimes people (especially the Taliban and Boko Haram) just straight-up murder immunization workers.

And the anti vaxer nuts aren't helping either.

But I know the reasons others posted are also a thing.

I've never been vaxed for smallpox, and I'm 27. I didn't quite come along in time for the chicken pox vaccine, though :(

On 1/14/2016 at 10:31 AM, weirdemmaline said:

I, for one, used to smoke almost exclusively in the shower. 

So funny to read this thread, as I just read about this guy with 7 daughters.  He seems to be rather the opposite of fundie, with a very interesting life, but during some of the earlier years with kids, he'd shower midday and smoke in there.  Interesting read: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/09/having-seven-daughters-jonathan-franklin

On 1/14/2016 at 11:06 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

The autism thing enrages me. Not only is it total horseshit, but it's revealed a rather ugly attitude: it's essentially saying that you'd rather your child die in agony from a completely preventable disease (and infect and kill other children) than MAYBE have a disability. Autism is no picnic, but with the right support, like you said: autistic kids can live full, happy lives.

This is another hideous aspect of the anti-vax movement: revealing their horrible underlying attitudes about those born with autism.  Gross.  Interestingly, the Israeli Defense Force now has a special unit just for those with high-functioning autism.  It's a job many find boring, but their brains are very well designed for this kind of hours-long, meticulous work: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/01/israeli-army-autism/422850/

Every time the anti-vaxers start again, I am reminded of family stories of days of yore: pools and other establishments closed every time there was a polio outbreak, disfigured or permanently disabled children from now-preventable diseases, and of course, the body count.  I am relieved to see that at least in my section of CA, there are a number of "reformed anti-vaxxers," who have realized the error of their ways and taken corrective actions.  

Just wanted to give a high five to all of you who got your jabs to protect newborns in your family. My FIL refused to get any shots, not even flu, when my 7 week old was FTT. It is so important to protect the little ones who can't protect themselves. Hugs to you all!

1 hour ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Just wanted to give a high five to all of you who got your jabs to protect newborns in your family. My FIL refused to get any shots, not even flu, when my 7 week old was FTT. It is so important to protect the little ones who can't protect themselves. Hugs to you all!

I am sorry your FIL did not see the need to protect your child. My husband does not like the flu shot and this was the first time he has ever gotten one. I have an auto immune disease so regularly get it. But, my headship quite surprised me as he was the first to get both shots when my daughter asked. It reinforced why I married him 32 years ago. For us, she was already terribly stressed about her child and we were terribly stressed about her high blood pressure. It just wasn't worth questioning her or putting that sweet blue eyed baby in peril. I agree HUGS to all who have stepped forward to protect the wee ones.

I am on the spectrum. I have what was known as Aspergers (now called ASD.)

There are times when I WISH my brain would stop - sometimes my mind plays tricks on me for hours at a time and it's like a really bad headache. 

However, I DIDN'T get it from vaccinations. It's not my parent's fault either because they chose to get me vaccinated.

I have a reasonably high IQ and my brain is just wired differently to what would be considered the "normal" brain. 

On the other hand - there are so many positives to my Aspergers - I am inherently observant and can pick up and match the most obscure of clues to decipher a situation. I LOVE to work and am great at all the stuff that everyone else HATES and along with doing all the other stuff, my skill base continues to increase. I

These things don't just "happen". Like sexuality - you are BORN this way (and that's OK!!!!) - you don't become this way. 

I wish uninformed people would STFU and THINK before they spouted out sh*t. It would save a lot of pain down the track.

When I was little, I HATED vaccines. I screamed the place down before it even happened. My poor mother... 

My friend's brother has autism, and was vaccinated. Friend's mum says that friend's brother was showing symptoms of being autistic before getting vaccinated. 

Jessica Seewald is just the WORST kind of ignorant eejit.

Well, the Duggars weren't concerned about chicken pox, because it made another story line. Maybe measles or whooping cough would be just as amusing. This said, we don't know for sure thar they don't vaccinate.

So, I'm no antivaxxer,and I follow the schedules my peds' office uses... BUT... I am not convinced that my kid's food allergies are not related to vaccines.   

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 3:11 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My kid's pedi says if more children keep getting the chicken pox vaccine that it could be eliminated. 

Seems a lot still turn down that one. A few of my friends were stunned I had my son vaccined for it. They were like "oh, come on. You had chicken pox."

Yes I did and that fucking sucked. If I can safely spare my kid that annoyance, I will.

35 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

So, I'm no antivaxxer,and I follow the schedules my peds' office uses... BUT... I am not convinced that my kid's food allergies are not related to vaccines.   

That could be a valid assumption, my mom is fairly sure my brother's food allergies were due to antibiotics given at birth, both those things could make little, blossoming immune systems haywire. although I'm 100% sure if you asked him he would rather not eat peanuts than be in an iron lung

@CorruptionInc.

Same! I have most vaccines, not all, because my phobia prevent doctor visits after a certain ages. 

If Autism would have something to do with vaccines (which is proven as wrong anyway) than the
whole family of my Dad has damages because of vaccines. At least three known cases or rather
I think they were all Autistic, post mortem diagnosis is kinda difficult. ;-) 

26 minutes ago, Mrsaztx said:

That could be a valid assumption, my mom is fairly sure my brother's food allergies were due to antibiotics given at birth, both those things could make little, blossoming immune systems haywire. although I'm 100% sure if you asked him he would rather not eat peanuts than be in an iron lung

Yes, exactly, or have any of the other childhood diseases that we vaccinate against.  Food allergies are a pain, and they are a source of anxiety and worry, but they are manageable.  I just hate that he has to deal with them.  

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

My kid's pedi says if more children keep getting the chicken pox vaccine that it could be eliminated. 

Seems a lot still turn down that one. A few of my friends were stunned I had my son vaccined for it. They were like "oh, come on. You had chicken pox."

Yes I did and that fucking sucked. If I can safely spare my kid that annoyance, I will.

No kids myself but having the chicken pox at the age of nine was one of the most miserable times in my life.  It was worse than recovering from surgery I had two years earlier and if there had been a vaccine back then, my mom would have wasted no time going for it.  

If I had children I would have given them every vaccine available barring a legitimate medical reason to not do so.  It would have driven my anti vaxx MIL and SIL crazy but too bad.  My sisters and I got all vaccines but my youngest sister got them later because she was pretty ill as a baby so doctor nixed it until she went to school.

• Curious locked this topic

Archived