IGNORED

Jessica Seewald Social Media

FJismyheadship

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can someone even go on a trip outside of the u.s. without vaccinations? i thought jessica went on mission trips?

15 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

can someone even go on a trip outside of the u.s. without vaccinations? i thought jessica went on mission trips?

It's not about leaving the U.S., it's about entering other countries. Countries may or may not have visa regulations (general ones for all visitors, or specific ones for visitors from certain countries). Anyone remember what country she went to on her mission trip?

I remember when you used to have smallpox vax to get into the U.S. My brother went to Malawi, and had to have a lot of jabs. Don't know if they were mandatory, or just common sense. Of course, the missions they go on probably keep them mostly confined to the compound with clean water and sanitation.

I am almost speechless at her sheer ignorance and stupidity. I thought her bathroom comment was dumb and this beats that one hands down.  Someone needs to put a sock in her mouth and be very quick about it. My grandmother had polio and suffered from the effects of it for the rest of her life. She contracted it while a missionary in Africa and had to be flown to the US in an iron lung for treatment. Her legs and hands were never the same. Yes, it has been a long time and she has been gone for a long time but I still remember her talking about it.

I have no use for the no vaccines "thing". Vaccinations were invented for a reason and the world is a far healthier place because of them. Was she not vaccinated as a child? It would be pretty stupid to make that statement and your parents have already had you vaccinated as a child. Do these people just make up shit so their stories sound more realistic?

It does make me curious as to whether the Duggars vaccinate or not. We have never seen any well baby checks etc. on the show that I recall. Has it ever been discussed?

6 hours ago, warriorblade8857 said:

Jess is an ignorant ass, and shouldn't be posting about things she knows nothing about.

This isn't even true. The MMR vaccine is produced using cell lines derived from fetal cells. In other words, somebody started with actual cells from a fetus in the 1960s and '70s, then put it in a Petri dish and induced those cells to grow and replicate. We are now using the descendants of these cells. There are no aborted cells in your vaccine!

Also, this doesn't even apply to all vaccines! The flu vaccine, as everybody with an egg allergy knows, is grown in eggs. Boycotting all vaccines due to fetal cell lines make no sense.

Lastly, is she going to boycott all modern medicine? Cell lines that are derived from fetal tissue are used in a lot of scientific research. If she objects to anything connected to fetal cell lines, she'll have to reject medical care entirely (and that includes going to the local drugstore).

Several years ago now, I first heard the "aborted fetal cells" thing from a friend, a fellow Catholic, who'd gone completely around the bend fundy-Catholic. They'd adopted a lovely pair of children, and now they didn't want to "sully their faith" by giving the kids these vaccinations. I was completely flabbergasted, gave the "derived from fetal cells", and, if I'm not mistaken, these were NOT from abortions, which were illegal in the 60s, but SPONTANEOUSLY ABORTED, that is MISCARRIED, fetuses. 

Still. Kids unvaccinated. At risk. I believe in a merciful God, as well as a God who, if you believe your OT, got pissed off at stupid behaviors by his people.  So if God is merciful, the "derived from fetal cells" will not count, and if God is impatient, not vaccinating your kids, when you have access, is not acceptable....

Of course, I'm an independent female who's had two husbands, (an affair!) worked for my own money, owned my own home, and cars, had my own bank accounts, has travelled alone... so what do I know?

2 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

I am almost speechless at her sheer ignorance and stupidity. I thought her bathroom comment was dumb and this beats that one hands down.  Someone needs to put a sock in her mouth and be very quick about it. My grandmother had polio and suffered from the effects of it for the rest of her life. She contracted it while a missionary in Africa and had to be flown to the US in an iron lung for treatment. Her legs and hands were never the same. Yes, it has been a long time and she has been gone for a long time but I still remember her talking about it.

I have no use for the no vaccines "thing". Vaccinations were invented for a reason and the world is a far healthier place because of them. Was she not vaccinated as a child? It would be pretty stupid to make that statement and your parents have already had you vaccinated as a child. Do these people just make up shit so their stories sound more realistic?

It does make me curious as to whether the Duggars vaccinate or not. We have never seen any well baby checks etc. on the show that I recall. Has it ever been discussed?

I don't know if vaccinations were ever discussed on the show, but wasn't there an episode where a bunch of the younger kids got chicken pox. The varicella vaccine is part of the standard protocol in our area. So I'm not sure if that indicates they are non-vaxers.  Maybe, maybe not.

Not to stir-up debate but I hate how vaccines are such a polarizing issue. There are actually real risks involved in getting vaccines. Many that you don't hear about because people, often medical professionals, will dismiss the legitimate reports of side-effects basically because the anti-vax extremists are so ridiculous in their reasoning.

Full disclosure, I personally developed an autoimmune disease due to getting a series of vaccinations as an adult (confirmed by my rheumatologist). Now, I believe there were pre-disposing factors involved, but it was the sudden onslaught of many different foreign disease agents injected into my bloodstream that tipped my immune system over the edge and made it go haywire. I will live with it for the rest of my life.

Most healthy people seem to tolerate vaccines. And the world has benefited greatly from that. But I wish people, especially doctors would be more honest about the risks and side effects. Some kids might appear healthy but they may have weaker immune systems due to genetic or environmental factors. They might benefit from a delayed schedule instead of getting a huge number of foreign disease agents introduced into their system all at once and at such frequent intervals. That would never happen naturally. I wish there was more tolerance of that concept and the "debate" wasn't so black and white.

Sorry to derail.

12 minutes ago, batuityma said:

I don't know if vaccinations were ever discussed on the show, but wasn't there an episode where a bunch of the younger kids got chicken pox. The varicella vaccine is part of the standard protocol in our area. So I'm not sure if that indicates they are non-vaxers.  Maybe, maybe not.

Not to stir-up debate but I hate how vaccines are such a polarizing issue. There are actually real risks involved in getting vaccines. Many that you don't hear about because people, often medical professionals, will dismiss the legitimate reports of side-effects basically because the anti-vax extremists are so ridiculous in their reasoning.

Full disclosure, I personally developed an autoimmune disease due to getting a series of vaccinations as an adult (confirmed by my rheumatologist). Now, I believe there were pre-disposing factors involved, but it was the sudden onslaught of many different foreign disease agents injected into my bloodstream that tipped my immune system over the edge and made it go haywire. I will live with it for the rest of my life.

Most healthy people seem to tolerate vaccines. And the world has benefited greatly from that. But I wish people, especially doctors would be more honest about the risks and side effects. Some kids might appear healthy but they may have weaker immune systems due to genetic or environmental factors. They might benefit from a delayed schedule instead of getting a huge number of foreign disease agents introduced into their system all at once and at such frequent intervals. That would never happen naturally. I wish there was more tolerance of that concept and the "debate" wasn't so black and white.

Sorry to derail.

I am sorry that you have an autoimmune disease and due to the vaccinations. I have an autoimmune disease and they are no fun to deal with.  I appreciate your knowledge on the subject as I will admit I tend to fly first and think later.

I do understand what you are saying and I know that I am extreme due to the problems my grandmother had to deal with. I do wish there were a better avenue to get good information on vaccinations and side effects. The non - vaxxers believe in their side and doctors feel they are doing what they feel best. Both my daughters go by the delayed schedule of vaccines so the grandchildren are not getting so many shots at one time.

I have been told that even if you get the chicken pox vaccine you can still get the chicken pox but they should be a less severe case. Now, that was something told to me by word of mouth so not sure if that is absolute truth or not. It would be interesting to know if the Duggars vaccinate and if not, what are their reasons for not doing so. It should not be a money decision on JB's part as you can go to the health department and get your vaccinations at no cost or a very small cost.

A little off topic but, when I was in elementary school we read the book Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio by Peg Kehret. It's an autobiographical story about how she was diagnosed and treated with polio. Every time people start on the to vaccinate or not vaccinate discussion I always think about the book. It's really interesting and is a pretty fast read. I highly recommend reading it!

I truly hope that Jessica doesnt go on her missioncations and spread her ignorance about vaccines to people who can truly benefit from them.

Mark Zuckerberg very deliberately posted this weekend about taking his newborn daughter for vaccinations.  Hopefully Jessica will decide to boycott Facebook in retaliation, and we will blessed with less of her smug ignorance on social media.

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I remember when you used to have smallpox vax to get into the U.S. My brother went to Malawi, and had to have a lot of jabs. Don't know if they were mandatory, or just common sense. Of course, the missions they go on probably keep them mostly confined to the compound with clean water and sanitation.

Yeah.  I still have the scar from the small pox vaccine fifty-five years ago (I was 5.)

I am almost positive that I heard Michelle say, on an old old episode of Kids & counting that they do vaccinate. I remember thinking that was at least one thing in their favour.

6 hours ago, batuityma said:

Sorry to derail.

That's the thing about vaccines, though. Just like any medical procedure, there are certain risks. And there are certain people who cannot get certain or all vaccines due to allergies or lower than usual immune systems, but they are still protected by herd immunity. And that's okay! Those people aren't stupid for not getting vaccines. But now that people get to choose whether or not their children can get vaccinated due to ignorant beliefs, it puts the people who cannot get vaccines at a greater and greater risk.

So no, it's not their child's life at risk, but also everyone else who is counting on herd immunity as well. 

The aborted fetal cell thing makes me mad, sure, but at the end of the day it's basically an ignorant conspiracy theory. The thing that makes me absolutely livid is when these people use Autism as a reasoning for not vaccinating. Because small pox/whooping cough/chicken pox/etc. is somehow WORSE than Autism? Super ignorant. Super rude. Super ableist. I have no time for them.

So I checked. Neither El Salvador nor Guatemala require vaccinations (now there are recommended vaccinations, but that won't keep an anti-vaxxer from going). So assuming Jessica went on one of the missioncations the Duggars always go on, that's no indication that she might have gotten vaccinated.

On 9. Januar 2016 at 11:03 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Then clearly all the men I have known who can't wait to use the bathroom while I can should learn self control. ;) 

Seriously, I am not surprised the uterus takes up space that men's bodies have for the bladder.  It just makes it more interesting that at least in my world girls learn to hold it longer.  My mom used to tell the story of how (in the late 1920s, to mid 1930s) her grandmother would not allow her to use public restrooms at all.  "If you can't hold it through the whole movie (or play, or parade, or whatever) you are too young to go," her grandmother would say.

I guess it must have been very strenuous for your mother to be with her grandmother?

In all seriousness, if there's one thing in the world that I really dislike, it's people who think they have a say in how another human deals with their bodily functions. I need to go to the restroom more often than the average healthy human and people who judge me, snark on me or try to shame me for having to pee can go care about themselves. 

Though it's great that in your world, EmCatlyn, girls learn "to hold it longer". It may come in handy at times, but it's not particularly healthy for the bladder, and I wouldn't want to be within a circle of people who'd expect me to keep it in longer when actually, what is long for a person depends on the person.

12 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

I have been told that even if you get the chicken pox vaccine you can still get the chicken pox but they should be a less severe case. Now, that was something told to me by word of mouth so not sure if that is absolute truth or not. It would be interesting to know if the Duggars vaccinate and if not, what are their reasons for not doing so. It should not be a money decision on JB's part as you can go to the health department and get your vaccinations at no cost or a very small cost.

Yes you definitely can still get chicken pox even if you've been vaccinated. It's not 100% guaranteed.  But yes, from what I understand it's usually a milder case. It certainly was in my son's case and other kids I know.  

When deciding whether to vaccinate my kids against polio and all the other diseases which used to be common, I thought about the man I used to work with who was twisted and crippled by polio, the girl I knew whose parents were both born deaf after their mothers had rubella when pregnant, and my late grandmother reminiscing about the fear in her neighbourhood as a child when a case of diptheria was diagnosed.  My kids are immunised.

7 hours ago, JillyO said:

So I checked. Neither El Salvador nor Guatemala require vaccinations (now there are recommended vaccinations, but that won't keep an anti-vaxxer from going). So assuming Jessica went on one of the missioncations the Duggars always go on, that's no indication that she might have gotten vaccinated.

When I went to Guatemala, I got vaxxed for Hep. A (maybe B or C too, I don't remember) Typhoid, and possibly Yellow Fever and Malaria. 

As a result, the worst thing that happened was diarrhea that ended in a day. 

I mean, maybe I wouldn't have gotten sick anyway, but IMO you can't be too careful, and I'd rather not bring contagious diseases back to the US where someone may not have been vaxxed for them. So, unless you have a legit medical reason not to get vaxxed, YOU SHOULD. 

And tbh, I actually don't give a shit if they were made from aborted fetal cells.

And the autism thing is bullshit. Even if it weren't, autistic kids can live great, happy lives. Measles can ruin it/kill you. 

10 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

That's the thing about vaccines, though. Just like any medical procedure, there are certain risks. And there are certain people who cannot get certain or all vaccines due to allergies or lower than usual immune systems, but they are still protected by herd immunity. And that's okay! <snip>

Completely agree with this except for the part I bolded. This mindset isn’t considered “okay” in terms of the wider public discussion about vaccines. That was my point about it being so black and white. From my own personal experience, I haven’t encountered very much room for gray area in the vaccine debate.

I’ve been reading several news articles and web posts about Mark Zuckerberg’s recent vaccine statements.  In every single one it seems the slant is either “vaccines are COMPLETELY proven safe and anyone who questions this is an uneducated, fringe whack-job” or “vaccines are evil poisonous toxins and it should be a crime to expose your child to them.”  It really gets under my skin that it almost always has to be one or the other.

Just to clarify- I AM NOT AN ANTI-VAXXER!  Vaccines are an extremely important tool for preventing deadly disease. I would NEVER advocate that people should just abandon their use. If everyone stopped vaccinating their children, the results would be catastrophic.

But I am uncomfortable with the intentional down-playing of the potential risks. I’ve had many vax conversations with my daughter’s pediatrician. She’s admitted that doctors WILL intentionally down-play some of the known risks (and not acknowledge the existence of unknown ones). I do understand this to some extent. The current concensus being that the chances of serious side-effects are lower than the potential disease preventing benefits.  And with some parents, planting even a tiny seed of doubt about vaccine safety could make them run for the hills without thinking things through rationally.

I’ve looked at a lot of research on this. I mean real research (not talking about the debunked autism study that always seems to be brought up as proof that anti-vaxxers are misguided.) I’ve also had long conversations with doctors including my rheumatologist, a brilliant, highly respected MAINSTREAM medical professional with advanced training in immunology. I have come to the opinion that, of course vaccines provide a vital role in world health, however the negative side effects (often serious ones) are both under-reported to the CDC and also intentionally down-played to the public. Like I said, I can understand some of the rationale behind this, but I still think it is a potentially dangerous approach.

I guess my whole point is that we still have a hell-of-a-lot to learn about the human immune system. (My rheumatologist thinks there is more that we don’t know than what we do know.) There is also much we don’t fully understand about how vaccines affect immunity, including potential adverse effects. But the PROMINENT public message from most of the medical establishment in this country doesn’t acknowledge that.  THAT DOESN’T MEAN WE SHOULD JUST FLAT OUT STOP VACCINATING! However, if there is no room for gray area in the discussion – no room for reasonable questioning, I think that acts as a road block to improving the safety of vaccine use. End rant.

On 1/12/2016 at 7:43 AM, Alicja said:

who would ever smoke a bowl in the shower? so cramped and so far away from the kitchen emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I, for one, used to smoke almost exclusively in the shower. 

4 hours ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

When I went to Guatemala, I got vaxxed for Hep. A (maybe B or C too, I don't remember) Typhoid, and possibly Yellow Fever and Malaria. 

As a result, the worst thing that happened was diarrhea that ended in a day. 

I mean, maybe I wouldn't have gotten sick anyway, but IMO you can't be too careful, and I'd rather not bring contagious diseases back to the US where someone may not have been vaxxed for them. So, unless you have a legit medical reason not to get vaxxed, YOU SHOULD. 

And tbh, I actually don't give a shit if they were made from aborted fetal cells.

And the autism thing is bullshit. Even if it weren't, autistic kids can live great, happy lives. Measles can ruin it/kill you. 

The autism thing enrages me. Not only is it total horseshit, but it's revealed a rather ugly attitude: it's essentially saying that you'd rather your child die in agony from a completely preventable disease (and infect and kill other children) than MAYBE have a disability. Autism is no picnic, but with the right support, like you said: autistic kids can live full, happy lives.

On 1/13/2016 at 5:05 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

"Ridiculous. I will not be vaccinated."

I try not to wish ill on anyone, but when people are this willfully idiotic about vaccines, I feel like they're just asking to get measles or whooping cough.

Please don't forget the level of stupid we are dealing with here. Jessica Seewald is very very stupid. That being said, there is a realistic possibility that she has been vaccinated and just doesn't understand what a vaccination is or when one traditionally receives it in life. Remember, her parents didn't go hardcore Evangelical until a few kids in, so while I don't doubt her younger siblings are not vaccinated, she realistically could be, and just doesn't have a fucking clue because she is Jessica Seewald.

2 hours ago, barbecutie said:

Please don't forget the level of stupid we are dealing with here. Jessica Seewald is very very stupid. That being said, there is a realistic possibility that she has been vaccinated and just doesn't understand what a vaccination is or when one traditionally receives it in life. Remember, her parents didn't go hardcore Evangelical until a few kids in, so while I don't doubt her younger siblings are not vaccinated, she realistically could be, and just doesn't have a fucking clue because she is Jessica Seewald.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when she realizes that she was vaccinated as a baby/toddler. Gotta say, "THE REMAINS OF ABORTED FETUSES COURSE THROUGH MY VEINS" sounds like a rejected Cannibal Corpse lyric.

• Curious locked this topic

Archived