IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

22 hours ago, lawlifelgbt said:

I usually work out 6 days a week, although it's habit, not a resolution. But today wife and I bought Fitbits! They were under $80 at Best Buy today and it makes steps like a game...because I want those blips, dammit! It also shows calories burned which helps me make food decisions. I don't precisely track food calories due to a past eating disorder (not precisely anorexia because I started out overweight and never stopped my period, though it shortened by 2-3 days, but I was still on 600-1000 cal a day with hourlong workouts, so). But it's good to know how to conform my habits based on my exercise and other food that day. Yes, I need meals but I don't need all those Skittles!

Does anyone else have Fitbit and want to compete? I generally work out but don't walk a lot, and need motivation. You can PM me for my email to look me up.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my best week yet. According to Strava, I did 5.5 hours of training. Monday I rested (I should have biked.) Tuesday I did my swim group, biked at the gym on my lunch, and then did my run group in the evening. My friends are constantly out running me so I'm struggling a little with my pride. I used to be our pace group leader, but with my injury last summer I took too much time off or something. 

Wednesday I biked. I didn't want to, I wanted to rest, but I made myself do it and I was very happy I did. 

Thursday I slept right past morning swim. So that sucked, when I woke up ten minutes to 7 instead of 10 to 5 like normal. My evening run was much better than Tuesdays, but it was still exhausting. I tried to make friends with a girl who was right around my pace but I don't know if I was too talkative or what. 

Friday I made it to the gym after work for a bike. There was a reason that I couldn't do it at lunch.. Oh, there was a mix up with software and I ended up running a meeting that I wasn't a part of on my phone. Technology! I swam after work and then went to see a movie where my friend was constantly trying to get me to drink beers even though I stopped after one margarita and one beer. I also ate a burrito, but had them serve it in a bowl instead of the wrap. 

Saturday I got up and did my long run which sucked. Slow, tired, cold. It was just warm enough that I skipped the thermals. That meant that once I started sweating I had to keep my heart rate up because otherwise I got REALLY cold. 

When we were done, we were served mimosa and mini bagels. Then the SO took me out for pizza. I got the wheat crust! But I also ordered a medium so i'd have left overs. Which I ate this morning because I was hung over from the rum and cokes we drank last night. 

So basically, diet was good but not great, I overeat on the weekends, and I have to move a workout to Monday because I have a pattern of sucking on Sunday. 

i've been doing fairly good with my diet so far, just watching what i eat and portions and what not. i've been indulging here and there but i've actually impressed myself with how well i've been able to restrain myself. i went to the doc on friday for my prenatal, and i've actually only had a net gain of 3-4 lbs since the beginning of my pregnancy (lost 10 lbs during my morning sickness phase and finally gained all that back...was initially overweight anyway so my goal for weight gain was only 5-7 lbs according to my original ob).

energy is still non-existent, though. went to the store yesterday for groceries and was so tired i almost took a nap when i got home. i thought i was supposed to get a surge of energy in the last few weeks for nesting? i guess jellybean decided that all my energy belongs to him. i did manage to get his portion of the hospital bag packed this weekend, so i feel somewhat accomplished lol.

I am back to the gym tonight. It's been almost two weeks- first it was a horrible sinus infection, then I got my wisdom teeth removed. I was like a sloth for two weeks.

Today is my Day 1 on nutrisystem! Two coworkers are doing it - one has been since last fall and loves it, and the other just started last week and was the one who talked me into trying it. So far so good...haha. My main concern is that I'm a stress/boredom eater, and I'm a big fan of wine when stressed, and my workplace is constantly going crazy; all that to say, here's hoping I can stick with the program long enough to at least make some better habits!

On February 15, 2016 at 6:44 AM, wotdancer said:

Today is my Day 1 on nutrisystem! Two coworkers are doing it - one has been since last fall and loves it, and the other just started last week and was the one who talked me into trying it. So far so good...haha. My main concern is that I'm a stress/boredom eater, and I'm a big fan of wine when stressed, and my workplace is constantly going crazy; all that to say, here's hoping I can stick with the program long enough to at least make some better habits!

My friend does that and he's lost over 60 lbs. good luck!

I'm still here - I see my first post was 1/14 and since then I've lost another 11 lbs, for a total of 30 lbs in the last 10 weeks! I try to walk the dog 3 miles a night, around 4-5 nights a week. I just got a bike so I'm hoping to incorporate that. Still low carbing it. I think my bff is going to get me a fit bit got my birthday next week so I can join you all.

Well, @NotALoserLikeYou,  you just gave me the motivation I needed to get my ass in gear. Whenever I'm not losing like I feel like I should be, I convince myself it's not actually possible. I just need a swift kick that it is. I have been terrible about cutting carbs. Thanks for the reminder that if I did, it would probably go a lot better for me. 

Congrats on your success!! See you on fitbit!!

On 2/15/2016 at 7:44 AM, wotdancer said:

I've seen the starter kits at Walmart and am intrigued. Let me know how the food tastes.

My husband is deep in the Herbalife and has talked me into "trying" it for the next two weeks. Just to see how it works. I started this morning with a shake and a handful of pills. I feel unsatisfied.

On 2/12/2016 at 8:08 AM, Firiel said:

I don't.  I'm going to start a hip/glute strengthening routine... I think that's the standard best practice at this point in time.  But it won't help me much before my intended marathon next week.  That's really what I'm worried about.  If I didn't have that, I'd be confident in my ability to work on my strength and get rid of the pain.

It's really super sucky.  I'm not good at dealing with this kind of thing! :(

I had this a while back. I ended up getting it completely worked out during a 1/2. just doped up on extra advil throughout and by the end I was ok (walked some too, as to not over do it). Never had any issues since!! (and it plagued me badly for months prior).

1 hour ago, karen77 said:

I had this a while back. I ended up getting it completely worked out during a 1/2. just doped up on extra advil throughout and by the end I was ok (walked some too, as to not over do it). Never had any issues since!! (and it plagued me badly for months prior).

That is the most hopeful IT band story I've read on the Internet all week.  Bless you!

21 hours ago, keen23 said:

I've seen the starter kits at Walmart and am intrigued. Let me know how the food tastes.

My husband is deep in the Herbalife and has talked me into "trying" it for the next two weeks. Just to see how it works. I started this morning with a shake and a handful of pills. I feel unsatisfied.

Thanks, @NotALoserLikeYou and @keen23! It's only week 1, but last night I got my first shipment of the frozen foods and I think they're going to be my saving grace. I love the breakfasts I've had so far - muffins or granola-type bars, and most of the lunches (I can't handle spicy food, so had to give one to a coworker haha), but the dinners were my biggest problem. The pizzas are great, but the other non-frozen entrees just didn't do it for me (one kinda looked/smelled/tasted like mushy dog food)...but last night I had my first frozen dinner entree, and it was fantastic.

I've lost 4 pounds so far this week (yay!), and the only changes have been doing nutrisystem and my first week of physical therapy for my knees, so about 75 minutes of low-impact leg exercises twice this week.

I've been staying out of this thread mostly because I started my whole working out thing in July and it seemed kind of fair to jump in with you guys that just started the first of the year. But I just had my 6 week assesment and I'm super pumped. Since July I've officially dropped 81 pounds and taken my mile time from 19:45 (with a 2 minute rest lol) to 9:53. I'm going to step it up this 6 weeks and hope to make it an even 100 pounds lost by April 1st. It's a big goal but the harder I work the closer I'll come to it and that's what's important. 

Guys, I totally failed my marathon. :(

My knee held up, but I have no idea what happened to the rest of me.  After 16 miles at an 8:25 pace, I felt the way I did after 20 miles at an 8:15 pace.  I kept it up for a couple miles after that, but I totally lost it at 18 miles.  I fueled and hydrated the same way I did on my long runs.  I'm just stupid and slow. Oh, and I'm not good at anything. :(

1 hour ago, Firiel said:

I totally failed my marathon

What!  You did really well and have accomplished more than many of us do running-wise.  I trained really hard for a half-marathon last year, and my knee crumpled at mile 11 but I kept running (figuring it's now or possibly never to finish).  Then I had to take a full year off.   So good on you for not overdoing it and living to try another day.  Meanwhile, I am rebuilding my muscles and starting all over again with 5ks.  And how did I get a beer belly, lol!

Good job!  You are amazing!

@Firiel, don't beat yourself up, please. You trained for a marathon. That is so cool! Even though you were having knee problems, you went ahead a ran in the marathon. That's amazing! You had some difficulties during the race, but you still finished. You're my hero!! 

I understand you're disappointed in your performance, but remember all you've accomplished. You rock!

Hi friends! I just stopped by to give you some inspiration for the week! :my_biggrin:

Screenshot_2016-01-02-01-08-35-1.png

@Firiel, I'm really sorry things didn't go as you hoped. You are neither stupid or slow! I think it's fucking amazing that you're even running marathons! I understand being disappointed, but don't talk down to yourself! From what I know, you have a beautiful personality. You are kind, funny, intelligent and clearly motivated and diligent! 

Thank you guys for the encouragement.  I'm feeling better after a couple days to come to terms with it.  It's super frustrating because I trained for 16 weeks only to have a very disappointing result.  BUT.  It's not even the worst thing that's happened to me this month, so I need to try to keep some perspective.  Oh... and this wasn't even a goal race.  I basically trained for this marathon to increase my fitness for my Ironman in August.  So I just need to turn my attention to that.  Y'all are awesome!

@Firiel at least you took on the marathon! That's more than I'll probably ever do. 5K is about as far as I'm willing to "run." My husband who runs a lot, and does a sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon each month hasn't attempted to do a full marathon. It's a whole level beyond what the average person can do. Congratulations!

@Firiel Congratulations on completing your marathon! You come across as a very driven and goal-oriented person, so I'm sure you're always striving to improve your performance. I just want to share my admiration for you in completing the race despite being injured and for now training for an Ironman! Awesome stuff!

So, I've been bad about checking into this thread, but actually pretty good about my workout goals. I have been completing 3 bodyweight workouts per week. I'm up to 60lbs on the squat and 75 on the deadlift. I've either walked or biked at least 4 days per week for the past 2 weeks. I don't know if I'll hit my goals by the end of March, but I'm making progress.

I can ice skate backwards! I can ice skate backwards and not look like a drunk flamingo! 

I also got a big grocery order last week and so I stuck to eating the healthy lunches and snacks I'd brought rather than buying junkier stuff at work. I did get a nasty cold Thursday that has slowed down my workouts but I was doing great before then with three difficult workouts in a row. 

On 2/20/2016 at 10:16 AM, Jesse911 said:

I've been staying out of this thread mostly because I started my whole working out thing in July and it seemed kind of fair to jump in with you guys that just started the first of the year. But I just had my 6 week assesment and I'm super pumped. Since July I've officially dropped 81 pounds and taken my mile time from 19:45 (with a 2 minute rest lol) to 9:53. I'm going to step it up this 6 weeks and hope to make it an even 100 pounds lost by April 1st. It's a big goal but the harder I work the closer I'll come to it and that's what's important. 

Don't feel like you need to stay away, @Firiel, @lawlifelgbt, and myself all aren't exactly "resolutioners" either. (Apologizes if I missed someone.) I know @keen23 has been my fitbit friend for years. So no reason to think that this thread is only for those who started at the first of this year. 

And -- GREAT JOB! Breaking that 10 minute mile barrier is HUGE. 

@Firiel The marathon is just one small part of the Ironman. You still have plenty of time to get there. Was it a race or did you just decide to run 26.2 miles by yourself? What exactly could you do different? Do you need more support? More hydration? Better/Different nutrition? There's always another shot at the marathon. :)

My Weekly Update: 

My week went well, although I still struggle with weekends. Strava says that I did six hours and 41 minutes of tracked workouts. I don't track cross training (lifting/warmups/bodyweight exercises). I had 3/4 bike sessions, 3/4 runs, and 2/3 swims. So overall ... OK. My workouts are getting longer, too, so I am really struggling with getting all of my training, sleeping, eating, and my 40+ hour/week job done as well. 

If I do everything I have scheduled, my weekends would still be mostly rest, with a long bike on Sunday and a long run on Saturday. However, this means I have no official "rest day." Which is OK with me. BUT, I'm not sure it's "ideal." So I've been moving the "long bike" to monday. Which is OK, I guess. My scheduled bikes this week have gotten so long that I can no longer do them at lunch. It's just frustrating to not have enough time. 

Any ideas? Other than get up early every day? 

I can finally breathe again! Mister destiny and I restarted diet over the weekend, and we are gonna try to make it to the gym a few times this weekend.

That bronchitis / pneumonia bullshit really kicked my ass.

29 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

@Firiel The marathon is just one small part of the Ironman. You still have plenty of time to get there. Was it a race or did you just decide to run 26.2 miles by yourself? What exactly could you do different? Do you need more support? More hydration? Better/Different nutrition? There's always another shot at the marathon. :)

My dad and I ran 26.2 miles together, with my sister and boyfriend as our travelling support team.  I trained for it like a true marathon.  The frustrating thing is that I pretty much did the hydration/nutrition thing exactly like I did on my long runs, and I have no idea what happened during the race.  It was an easier course than I've been running with better conditions and better support.  And I still crapped out earlier than I did on my long runs.  UGH.

As for rest days, I (personally) try to take at least one a week.  Usually, I try to schedule my rest day for a weekday.  I'd rather have one week day where I'm not rushing to get a workout in than a weekend day where I don't have any obligations at all.  So, if I were you, I'd probably move one of my weekday sessions to the weekend and turn either Saturday or Sunday into a brick of some sort.  Or just turn it into a two-workout-but-no-brick day.  But you also may very well have a different preference/schedule than I do which makes that less-than-ideal.

I had a migraine last night...I had lapsed a bit leading up to it, so I resolve that once I recover, I'll get back on the horse! I've been going to OTF regularly which I'm seeing pay off in other areas too, but I'm bloated now and that sucks! I wanted to eat super healthy this week but recovery is usually starches and whatever stays down, plus light exercise. Blech. It happens!

Love to you all butt kickers!

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived