IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

Any shoe will wear out faster if you are heavier. There's a lot of arguing about when to change shoes - you should go by miles or just feel. I track my milage and replace every 500 miles, but more like 250 when I was heavier. 

You could try Hoka One Ones, they have a LOT of cushioning.   

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually go be feel and looks of the shoe. I tend to push the uppers out to the outside of both feet so when I see them start giving I replace before the problems start up. 

These ones I got yesterday keep track of the mileage for you and tell you once you hit 400 miles so you can replace them. 

I'll look up the hoka ones. I've tried asking at the sports stores around here but they all just have teenagers working the shoe departments. Which is fine but they aren't going to become experts on shoes for a part time job lol. Running shoes are to expensive to be trying brands I've never heard of with no recommendations lol

Just now, Jesse911 said:

I usually go be feel and looks of the shoe. I tend to push the uppers out to the outside of both feet so when I see them start giving I replace before the problems start up. 

These ones I got yesterday keep track of the mileage for you and tell you once you hit 400 miles so you can replace them. 

I'll look up the hoka ones. I've tried asking at the sports stores around here but they all just have teenagers working the shoe departments. Which is fine but they aren't going to become experts on shoes for a part time job lol. Running shoes are to expensive to be trying brands I've never heard of with no recommendations lol

Hoka's run for 170 USD and rarely to never go on sale. 

What kind of feet do you have? Do you pronate or are you neutral? Do you have a specific gait you want or need to correct? 

6 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Hoka's run for 170 USD and rarely to never go on sale. 

What kind of feet do you have? Do you pronate or are you neutral? Do you have a specific gait you want or need to correct? 

I have no problem spending on shoes that will last, I just hate spending the money on a shot in the dark lol. 

I have fairly high arches and def pronate. I'm not sure it's something I need to correct, it doesn't cause any pain and you can't really tell watching me run but it's hell on the shoes. I'm constantly pushing the uppers past the edge of the soles. 

I want to be able to run a decent distance consistently to stay in shape but I'm not looking to do any marathons or anything. At the most maybe a 5k but mostly just to keep active and keep the weight down 

You might also look at the Brooks Transcend 3. Same price. Another way to extend the life of your shoe is insoles. Do you have a store specific to running? Not Sport Authority, but something local and just for running?

I wish but the closest one would prob be 2 hours away. I'm in the middle of no where lol. 

My right knee has swollen from running the last two days but my last pair of shoes both tore the other day mid run and threw off my stride till I got done and found the problem. So I'm blaming that, I ordered a knee sleeve hopefully that gets it squared away 

You know, I never asked what you were wearing before the UA shoes. 

On March 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Jesse911 said:

What do you guys like for running shoes? I'm on my 10th pair since July Cus I keep wearing them out. Granted I'm still 250 pounds and putting close to 40 miles a week on them so I can't  expect to miracles but I'd like to find something that will hold up longer than a month lol. 

I just wore the new underarmour Gemini record running shoes for the first time this morning. It was by far the most comfortable running shoe I've ever worn and the info the shoes bluetoothed to my phone was super cool. But I'm not sure that I can expect any longer life out of those than anything else I've had. 

I just want some good reliable shoes that I don't have to replace every month lol

Asics

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOOHHH. I am mad I never come to this forum because this thread is right up my alley. I second the commen about Asics. Those are great shoes.

A couple years ago I was told by a doctor I needed to wear stabilizing running shoes and Asics makes really good ones that are lightweight (a lot of them tend to be heavy). I also like New Balance.

And I am very proud of myself because I dragged my fat ass to the gym tonight despite cramps and work exhaustion

Just ordered the new Fitbit! Can't wait for it to come in because mine isn't really counting my steps accurately anymore.

Sorry guys I totally got busy at work the last couple weeks and forgot to come back to this. 

Before now I had tried Nike, puma, and underarmour shoes without much luck from any of them. I took your guys' advice and bought myself a pair of asics, seriously the best decision I ever made as far as gym gear!!

I can't believe the improvement in my running. I had been toying around with being able to run a full mile without stopping or slowing for months but couldn't ever quite get there. I usually would end up walking once or twice then sprinting in the end to make up the time, I just couldn't get comfortable with any pace to maintain it.

I put on the asics and immediately ran a mile straight through, and have been able to repeat that every day for the last two weeks. I actually ran a 8:59 mile yesterday which was freaking insane for me! I'm by far sold on the asics, I've also invested in proper lifting shoes to help keep some of that wear off my runners. 

Ok so in other news, I am super pumped/scared shitless because I just signed up to run a warrior dash in July. This is a big deal for me considering where I was a year ago and will be a huge test of how much I've accomplished. July also happens to be my one year mark of when I started working out and losing weight, so that will make it even better

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2016 at 3:17 PM, Crocoduck said:

Goals for January-March 2016: Walk/bike/jog a minimum of 4 days per week. Complete 1 set of 20 pushups. Squat 95# for 5 reps.

Quoting myself because I accomplished 2 of my goals. Yesterday I squatted 95# for 2 sets of 5 reps and Monday I completed a set of 20 pushups. :pow:

I didn't come anywhere close to meeting my 4 days of cardio  a week goal. :my_sick:

I also have new goals. I'm leaving for a trip May 15 and I'm feeling vain, so I want to lose at least 3 pounds. I currently weigh in at roughly 142 in the morning, depending on hormones, of course. I would like to get under 140.

How will I do this:

1) actually do my cardio 4 days a week!

2) keep up with the resistance work, but add a couple short HIIT sessions at the end of workouts

3) do some yoga/stretching at least 2 days a week

4) don't eat and drink so much crap

I plan to track all this on an old-fashioned paper calendar and will report here every Monday.

Totally fell off the wagon this month because I started new meds that made me exhausted. But I've adjusted, and my new goal is to hit every workout I have on my calendar, and to take a few walks in between! I'm also going gfree because doing so in the past significantly diminished my migraines, so it'll be interesting to see how that helps my fitness & weight plan [emoji23]

How are y'all doing??

Shall we kick up our Fitbit group again? I got a new Alta and I'm loving it!

47 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Totally fell off the wagon this month because I started new meds that made me exhausted. But I've adjusted, and my new goal is to hit every workout I have on my calendar, and to take a few walks in between! I'm also going gfree because doing so in the past significantly diminished my migraines, so it'll be interesting to see how that helps my fitness & weight plan emoji23.png

How are y'all doing??

Shall we kick up our Fitbit group again? I got a new Alta and I'm loving it!

Definitely!  I was on a 6-month program to lose 20 pounds and also to build strength in specific muscles.  Well, the 6 months ended a few days ago and I'm 8 pounds down, so progress, but not the goal.  And the strength part got abandoned about 4 months ago and I need to resume.

An Amazon delivery is on its way which includes fitbits for my two closest friends, so I can have some IRL support friends in addition to the online friends.  Looking forward to that!

I'm still unable to participate in fitbit challenges, since I only have a mac and no smartphone, but I look forward to y'all describing the challenges and I'll do my best to self-track and report in!

And FF, I'm interested in reducing my gluten intake, so I'm really interested in any recipes that you might post.  (and as a side note/update, my friend with the daith piercing is now more than 3 months migraine-free --  none since she got it just before Christmas.  Each time I see her I expect her to say "bummer, finally got one" but it hasn't happened yet!)

We could get a gfree thread going? I did it before for a year before stupidly quitting. I've tested gluten sensitive and my neurologist wants me on it ASAP, but I've been dragging my feet because cake. I wouldn't mind a community here! Maybe in the cooking forum??

That is awesome for your friend!! I still have to look into that more!

2 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

We could get a gfree thread going? I did it before for a year before stupidly quitting. I've tested gluten sensitive and my neurologist wants me on it ASAP, but I've been dragging my feet because cake. I wouldn't mind a community here! Maybe in the cooking forum??

That is awesome for your friend!! I still have to look into that more!

I've never gone gluten free but I would definitely follow a thread and offer support and try some things out myself.  I totally empathize re cake -- but what about coconut flour, arrowroot flour, almond flour, etc?  I bet there is gluten-free cake.

My friend with the piercing is a nail salon owner and she said she's so impressed that she's looking into getting the training to be able to do those daith piercings at her salon.  She got hers at a reputable piercing place in a nearby urban area.  I hope you are able to find info easily.

PS -- if you want FJ fitbit friends, here is my fitbit ID: https://www.fitbit.com/user/3R9RW8

Monday update:

Morning weight: 141.6

Waist at navel: 31 5/8 inches

Last week (Monday -Sunday): 2 Yoga sessions, 3 cardio, 3 weight

There's gfree everything these days...I first went gfree 5 or 6 years ago, and now that I'm doing it again I see the recipes and there's SO many more options it's overwhelming. Holy moly. I'm kind of excited to go to the grocery store and see what I can have now! 

I went to OTF last night. I forgot how fun it is! Except at one point I looked at the counting clock and it said 20 minutes, and I thought that's how long we had left and got VERY excited...until I realized that's how long we'd been there. Devastating. 

Whoops! Day 2 of gfree and I haven't killed anyone. Success!

Ordered a Fitbit yesterday. 

I need to get back in shape. The last three years have been pretty physically destructive. 

So I am wading into the thread to say hi...

Disclaimer: Today is the first day of my cycle, aka The Day I Have to Pee Every 5 Minutes, so these numbers are not real. I'm going to weigh myself in a couple of days for more accurate stats.

Monday update:

Weight: 142.8

Waist: 31 11/16 inches

Activity: 4 Yoga, 3 weight, 3 cardio

I've lost 42 lbs since the beginning of December! I keep plugging along. I really want doughnuts lol. Just got a Fitbit so I'm going to set that up.

3 hours ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

I've lost 42 lbs since the beginning of December! I keep plugging along. I really want doughnuts lol. Just got a Fitbit so I'm going to set that up.

That is great -- good job! :clap:

I've lost 11 pounds since the end of September.  Nine more to go, then will reassess and see if I think I need another ten.

One thing I've been doing is focusing more on adding in exercise (walking, mostly) rather than cutting back too severely on food.  I do try to have some restraint when it comes to portion size and to certain things like tortillas and tortilla chips that just explode my calorie count, but in general I've still been allowing myself treats, just not going overboard on them.  That's been working for me -- my progress is slow, and I wish it was faster, but I'll take it!

I've found the fitbit, even with all its issues, to be very inspiring.  I guess seeing my progress in numbers really does work (for my psychology at least) to prompt me to do more...  Hope you enjoy it too!

That is AWESOME! Congratulations!!

On April 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM, NotALoserLikeYou said:

That is awesome!!!!!! It's the size of a small child!

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived