IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

19 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

The windchill was negative 16 this morning and I so didn't want to leave the house...but I forced myself to go to the wellness center anyway. I did 15 minutes on the elliptical and 20 on the bike. Then I went to the pool and did some laps. Then I walked/"jogged" more laps in the shallow end for a bit. I didn't do tons in the pool but I did more than last time (which was Wednesday.)

I feel dumb posting about my very little exercise over here since everyone else seems to do a lot. But...it's just where I'm at now. And it's better than nothing at this point.

I don't think you should feel dumb about posting this at all. :)

That's a great session at the gym, IMO.  The general point of view among the experts is that 30 minutes of exercise a day is enough to get most of the benefits of exercise.  That's not to say there's anything wrong with people who do more than that or anything.  Just wanted to let you know you're doing great!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed - don't feel dumb.  I don't belong to a gym and got some walking done in my apartment.  No, it's not that big.  But hey, it was better than just sitting.  

A bad weekend: too many cocktails and food, not enough exercise. The plus side, I did log it all and owned my gluttony. For some reason, seeing the numbers actually helps me get back on the wagon. It is too easy to pretend I didn't eat it if I don't log it. 

I did do a decent work out this morning: 20 minutes on the running machine, 25 minutes of treadmill with hill program, and all my reps and sets on the arm machines. I even was able to move up 10 lbs in weight on the ab machine and biceps.

The past 7 days were decent. I traveled last Sunday-Wednesday and used the time away from home to re-establish a workout routine. Right now I'm focusing on simple bodyweight and light cardio exercise because I've been out of it for so long.

Good:

• Completed 4 workouts
  • Walked 5-6 miles on Saturday
  • Food choices were 80% good
  • Still a bit sick, so appetite is low and I'm down a pound!

Not so Good:

• Travel to the frozen north left me feeling a bit depressed
  • Too much alcohol Saturday night
  • That long walk led to a sore hip!

Goal for this week is to get in another 4 or 5 workouts.

Too much drinking on Saturday, with fun football food. Then Sunday was kind of a wash. I ate OK, but ate too much OK. Not enough exercise at all.

Just here to encourage you all! I think this thread is awesome and you ROCK!

:happy-cheerleaderkid::happy-cheerleadersmileygirl::happy-cheerleadersmileyguy::happy-cheerleaderkid:

Keep it up, friends! You can and will reach your goals! 

Awesome run@Firiel! And here I was pretty proud of my best run postpartum (2.5 miles @ 10:45 - yay!) ;)

I also got my husband to actually meal plan and grocery shop with a real list - this is a big win for me :)

2 hours ago, meda said:

It is too easy to pretend I didn't eat it if I don't log it. 

THIS THIS THIS OMG THIS.

Good: Mister Destiny and I are headed to the gym as soon as he finishes getting ready to go.

Not so good: I did zero exercise this weekend. Saturday we chilled and played video games, and Sunday, I was forced into social interactions.

TODAY WILL BE BETTER!

Today I leaned: the Fitbit charge HR is smart enough to realise when I am on a elliptical now. It used to think I was running. HAHAHAHA no. My knees would rage quit me.

OK FJ fit team - wish me luck here.  I have yet to mention that a huge focus for me is to try to improve my sleep.  After nailing it out of the park with a solid 9.28 hours IN A ROW on Sat. night, I only managed about 1.45 hours over the course of three solid attempts last night.  I am slipping on my fuzzy slippers to ward of the arctic winds and giving it a go a bit early tonight.  All is well as can be on other fronts.  

Last year I was really good about logging my food into myfitnesspal. I don't know if it helped me lose any weight or not. But after vacation, I just sort of stopped. So...I've started back up again. I am up quite a few pounds from the last time I logged my food. Oops.

UGH. 

Yesterday we had one of those stupid draining days where we did "staff development" or whatever. So instead of working out at lunch, I ate a wrap and half off a cobb salad. (Because I didn't eat all morning, being trapped in what was basically a 4 hour torture session, my eyes ended up bigger than my stomach, and I managed to shove too much food in before I was satiated.) Then I had to go back for 2 more hours (which ended up being only 1.5 hours) and after that I was drained. I told myself to go to the gym anyway and do my bike ride and swim or sit in the hot tub. I made it to the gym, saw the line of cars turning into it and realized i forgot a hair tie and went home. Disappointed with myself, I put a pack of hair ties in my gym bag (no more excuses!), changed, and went to a different gym. It too, was crowded, and there were no bikes available. So I did my run on a treadmill and watched part of some lifetime movie with that actress who was on Grey's and Roswell. I was not a very interesting movie, and at no point did lifetime bother to tell me the name of it. I stretched and went home, because social anxiety prevented me from working out further in the crowded gym room. 

This morning the swim coach got tired of everyone in my lane asking why I was in that lane and moved me up. I was fine, until we had to do longer sets, and I fell a little behind and got out early, citing "work." . Also, I didn't know any of the ladies in my lane and they weren't the friendliest bunch. :/ 

Weight is up. I'm having my monthly lady time. :annoyed:

17 hours ago, Whoosh said:

OK FJ fit team - wish me luck here.  I have yet to mention that a huge focus for me is to try to improve my sleep.  After nailing it out of the park with a solid 9.28 hours IN A ROW on Sat. night, I only managed about 1.45 hours over the course of three solid attempts last night.  I am slipping on my fuzzy slippers to ward of the arctic winds and giving it a go a bit early tonight.  All is well as can be on other fronts.  

I have insomnia at times and wish you much luck! If you figure it out, please share your secrets.

4 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I told myself to go to the gym anyway and do my bike ride and swim or sit in the hot tub. I made it to the gym, saw the line of cars turning into it and realized i forgot a hair tie and went home. Disappointed with myself, I put a pack of hair ties in my gym bag (no more excuses!), changed, and went to a different gym. It too, was crowded, and there were no bikes available.

The gym in January pretty much sucks.  Still, on the plus side, you did end up working out, which is probably more than I would have done under the circumstances!

So tomorrow I go to my weight loss place, and I'm pretty sure I've lost! Yay! But it's not for effort on my part.

So for the rest of the week: healthy choices, and go to the gym 2x.

HERE GOES!

I did a speed workout at the track today... 12x400.  It went well and I hit all the paces I was trying to hit.

Tomorrow I'm hitting up the bike trainer.  I hate stationary cycling, so it'll suck!

I'm reluctant to report "just a tiny bit" of weight loss because I naturally waver back and forth in about a 3-5 pound range.  But -- I had dropped a few months ago from 165 to 161 and then wavered my way around 161 since then.  Last night I weighed myself at 159.  Maybe it's a real loss, maybe it's just another waver, but I decided I would record/report it just because I wanted to have a bit of progress to show!  We'll see if I can keep it that low over the next few days, then I will consider it a real data point.

Also -- I had a rather sedentary day today and REALLY needed to walk to my library job and back (about .6 miles each way) -- but it was raining and expected to rain harder later, and also windy, and so I wimped and drove.  And whaddaya know, but the rain didn't last and I probably could have walked just fine.  Grr...  

AND -- those special shoes I got that are designed to help with foot problems -- seem to be working!  The half-mile or even mile I've been walking at a time has not been causing me pain!  Soon will try a longer walk and see -- the foot problem is still there, of course, but if I can keep it from impeding my exercise walking, it really won't bother me much at all.

On January 19, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Whoosh said:

Oh dear!  Did it work?  I have only the most peripheral experience with insomnia (dated a fellow who had it so bad he was on disability) but in general sleep issues are really intriguing to me.  I've read quite a bit about it and successfully managed, about 15 years ago, to shift myself from a night owl to a morning person.  My body still pushes me the other way sometimes, but overall, man oh man my life works SO much better for me when I keep myself on that morning-person schedule!

Anyway, thoughts are with you and hope you have some refreshing nights coming up.

I hit my step goal yesterday, and did my weigh in (a few days late) and am happy with the results. This week I did yoga on Monday, and will go again tonight. Walk on Thursday and Friday.

So this morning I was that weird person at the gum huffing away on the eliptical in sneakers and black dress socks with matted, sweaty hair. I then had the privilege of drying off after my shower with paper towels.  Why you ask? Because somehow my darling toddler managed to remove from my gym bag and spirit off to a secret location my gym socks, hairband, and towel. Naturally I don't notice this until I am at the gym. #demonspawniswinning

You go, Meda! It's awesome you still worked out! 

I went to weight camp today and worked out a new routine with them that will be better for my headaches but still allow the follow-up and accountability I really enjoy from them. I'm down 2" on my waist and (gasp!!) 4" on my hips, so that was some encouragement. But the scale numbers stay constant. Frustrating. 

I signed up for OTF tonight and I can't cancel because it's under 12 hours, so I have to go! Plus my weight coach will call tomorrow to check and make sure I went, so I am glad for that. 

I am determined not to be part of the statistical group that gives up on their resolutions, no matter what my setbacks might be!!!! 

2 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

You go, Meda! It's awesome you still worked out! 

I went to weight camp today and worked out a new routine with them that will be better for my headaches but still allow the follow-up and accountability I really enjoy from them. I'm down 2" on my waist and (gasp!!) 4" on my hips, so that was some encouragement. But the scale numbers stay constant. Frustrating. 

I signed up for OTF tonight and I can't cancel because it's under 12 hours, so I have to go! Plus my weight coach will call tomorrow to check and make sure I went, so I am glad for that. 

I am determined not to be part of the statistical group that gives up on their resolutions, no matter what my setbacks might be!!!! 

Hey! That's great progress! Don't get too down on the weight. Your body composition might be adjusting! Great job! 

Great job, everyone!! 

3 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

Hey! That's great progress! Don't get too down on the weight. Your body composition might be adjusting! Great job! 

Great job, everyone!! 

I second this! That's great progress, FF. Losing inches is just as (if not more) important than losing weight.

It's great to see all the dedication in this thread.

Thanks, guys!!! The weird migraine meds also make me retain water so I think once those even out and I get back to the gym, I might see some miracles! 

I get to clean out my closet this weekend so that's exciting! I went shopping last weekend and was down 4 dress sizes from this time last year, so I'm pretty pleased with myself. It's about 16 lbs overall, so it can happen! It's just slow going. 

I love this thread :) You guys are a huge help! Also the fitbit groups and everything...I love it!

I'm headed to the gym in just a minute for more elliptical hell. I went on Monday, did yoga on Tuesday too.

I'm down 4 lbs from last Thursday.

Yay all y'all from above on this thread. So proud! (I'm on my phone and tapa so direct replies are hard.)

By the way, if anyone is wondering about mister destiny, he is down a whopping 21 lbs since Thursday.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived