IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

I am on the last few days of my Whole 30, and down 9 lbs!!! So, starting monday I will start logging into Sparkpeople again. I started a Zumba class 1x a week this week, which was fun. I"ll also get my other workouts in too, but kids schedules switch in March, so then I'll switch to a Monday night bootcamp class that will surely kick my ass.

this is my 1000th post!!!!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, add me to the list of people feeling depressed. My brain is behaving badly, I'm not sleeping well (up from about 1:30-4:30 last night), and I'm having some rapid cycling negative thoughts.

I have managed 6 miles of walking in the last 3 days, but no weight training. Food quality has been about a 6 on a 1-10 scale and I did have 3 pints of beer last night. One tasted like Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. For that I have no regrets!

Anyway, it's a tough week.

So has anyone else seen the Nutrisystem 5 day kits at Walmart? Has anyone tried them? I'm really considering starting this on Monday. Maybe a 2 week trial- the Jumpstart and the Homestyle seem the most appealing. Unlike other Nutrisystem, there's no auto delivery to worry about.

My roommate has installed a WaterRower in our living room, just like the one Francis Underwood uses in House of Cards. It's pretty cool. I jumped on right away and she laughed at me for having terrible form, but I watched a couple of tutes and my form is already much better. I thought rowing was pretty intuitive, but I was wrong, lol.

I'm a tad late to the new years resolution thing. But here we go because i may need motivational help

Goal: intentional exercise at least twice a week
My reasons for motivation: I'm unfit, my joints are starting to ache when i walk long distances (i need new shoes too which may help but none fit)
How I'm gonna do it: walking/biking/fitnessblender/random youtube videos
What I've already done: I have achieved my goal 3 weeks so far. This week I may fail.

I'm not doing a weight challenge because we don't have scales (and I don't want to guilt myself for not loosing weight every day/week/month. I do know I have put on weight in the last year though because of clothing issues *cough*pants don't fit*endcough*.

Does anyone know of a brand of ladies (sport) shoes that are wider than normal in the toe area? Because I have wide feet and can no longer find shoes that fit my toes in without resulting in me loosing toenails. I would go for guys footwear but my feet are too small and the 'teen male' shoes aren't wide enough.

4 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

I'm a tad late to the new years resolution thing. But here we go because i may need motivational help

Goal: intentional exercise at least twice a week
My reasons for motivation: I'm unfit, my joints are starting to ache when i walk long distances (i need new shoes too which may help but none fit)
How I'm gonna do it: walking/biking/fitnessblender/random youtube videos
What I've already done: I have achieved my goal 3 weeks so far. This week I may fail.

I'm not doing a weight challenge because we don't have scales (and I don't want to guilt myself for not loosing weight every day/week/month. I do know I have put on weight in the last year though because of clothing issues *cough*pants don't fit*endcough*.

Does anyone know of a brand of ladies (sport) shoes that are wider than normal in the toe area? Because I have wide feet and can no longer find shoes that fit my toes in without resulting in me loosing toenails. I would go for guys footwear but my feet are too small and the 'teen male' shoes aren't wide enough.

Have you tried New Balance? They have extensive width options. They accommodate my dad's wide feet (including toe box).

I have a somewhat wider toe box because of some attractive bunion action and the shoes I always bought for cross-country in high school were Sauconys.

4 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

I have a thing called a Morton's neuroma which is an inflamed nerve at the ball of the foot between the 3rd and 4th toes.  My foot surgeon recommended a brand of shoes called Altra -- they specialize in extra room in the toe box for bunions and neuromas (and anyone who needs more room there).  They also have a thing called "zero drop" which means the heel and the toe is at the same level, instead of the slight heel that most shoes have.  I ordered a pair and I love them!  (and that says a lot because I hate lace-up shoes in general -- I live in slippers, crocs, etc)

My neuroma is still there and probably needs to be dealt with surgically (in fact I already did but it either didn't heal right or I've developed another one, but that's beside the point) but these shoes really do make it easier for me to walk for exercise.  At the moment I can go two miles before the foot starts to hurt, and the foot recovers really fast, meaning I could do that every day.  I still want to get the neuroma fixed properly, but at least I'm not sitting around getting more and more out of shape in the meantime.

Anyway, check out http://www.altrarunning.com and good luck! 

5 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

Do you have a local specialized running store? I would go there and try on Altras, Merrels, Saucony, and talk to someone as well. Different brands have different fits for different people and even within those brands, the model changes every six months. 

I've been exercising and eating some better (and a lot less) but I've seen the same fucking number on the scale for months. Lost inches, but not numbers. It is rageeeeee inducing. GAHHH.

Yes I know it's not all about the numbers but still. Very rage-inducing.

8 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

I've been exercising and eating some better (and a lot less) but I've seen the same fucking number on the scale for months. Lost inches, but not numbers. It is rageeeeee inducing. GAHHH.

Yes I know it's not all about the numbers but still. Very rage-inducing.

Inches are WAY more important than numbers.  Good on you for losing inches!!!

I thought inches were numbers :562479a50dc4d_Tahhell..confused:

@Maggie Mae last time i went to a running store they were trying to pressure me into buying $200 shoes that did not fit comfortably (weren't wide enough). They told me that they'll stretch out and be no problem - when i said in my experience with my feet and shoes no they never stretch out enough - my toes make holes instead (and i lose nails/toe starts twisting underneath others). If I could only go back in time I would make sure my 5-10 year old self worse shoes every day for 10 hours. At that time my public school had no rule saying I must wear shoes :)
Also I hate the changing of models - my shoes that were awesome they no longer make! the replacement is 1cm less wide which I don't get (umm yes i did measure in the shop)

@church_of_dog

@withaj

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to shop around.at least I know what sort of brands I should look for first online before going to a store I'm allergic to shopping so it is a good thing (I'm also not joking, something in the cleaners/perfume/etc makes me sneeze and feel gross)

:my_cry:

I went out for a 15 mile run, but my knee started hurting pretty bad.  It kept hurting, so I had to stop at 8 miles and hitch a ride back to my place. I'm worried about my knee.  It's been giving me some fits, but it pretty much hurt for 8 miles straight today.  Not good, not good.  I'm supposed to be running my fake marathon in two weeks. :(

13 minutes ago, Firiel said:

:my_cry:

I went out for a 15 mile run, but my knee started hurting pretty bad.  It kept hurting, so I had to stop at 8 miles and hitch a ride back to my place. I'm worried about my knee.  It's been giving me some fits, but it pretty much hurt for 8 miles straight today.  Not good, not good.  I'm supposed to be running my fake marathon in two weeks. :(

Oh, no! I'm sorry about your knee! I have bad knees, and it really sucks. It's scary when it flares up on a long run! I hope you're home safe! Ice and motrin! 

2 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

Oh, no! I'm sorry about your knee! I have bad knees, and it really sucks. It's scary when it flares up on a long run! I hope you're home safe! Ice and motrin! 

Yes, I've been icing a lot this afternoon.  I usually don't have problems with nagging overuse injuries, so this is different (and annoying) for me.  I think swimming on Friday made it flare up.  We did some butterfly, and I think the pressure of the water pushing the knee back the wrong way is what made it worse.  At least I know to opt out of the butterfly from now on...

1 hour ago, Firiel said:

Yes, I've been icing a lot this afternoon.  I usually don't have problems with nagging overuse injuries, so this is different (and annoying) for me.  I think swimming on Friday made it flare up.  We did some butterfly, and I think the pressure of the water pushing the knee back the wrong way is what made it worse.  At least I know to opt out of the butterfly from now on...

Yes, no butterfly, but swimming is great, in general! :)

I have not lost any weight this week, but my measurements are down and my clothes are loser. Also, Mr. Meda informed me that my "ass feels firmer". Which is good...but I would still like some scale validation. This is how it goes for me since I'm tall with a larger frame: makes it real easy to gain 20lbs and not notice. The only thing that works for me is turning some fat into muscle...once I spend 2-3 months doing that, the scale goes down. In the meantime it's just a shitload of work with no immediate return.

I am still tracking my food, and just plugged in the recipe for velveeta queso to check how horrifically I will be going over my calorie allotment during the Super Bowl.   :my_angel:

Took Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off, thinking I could sleep off what appears to be some sort of illness. :( That turned out to be a mistake, as it's still hanging on, being annoying. 

Thursday swim went well. Thursday's run was a time trial, which went OK, but also not really. Friday swim group was OK, I moved up a lane and was still the fastest. Didn't want to be a jerk though, and the night group is much more relaxed. New swim sessions start this week, which means $$$. (UGH.) Got on the trainer at lunch and cranked out a few miles, so I'm only 364 miles behind pace for the year. (HAHA) It's still February.  

Saturday I did my long run and then nothing beyond played video games, argued on the internet, drank too much, and watched True Blood on HBO Now. (Which sucks and is not worth 14.99/month, at least until the streams actually stream correctly.) 

Sunday I woke up and drank a beer and ate some chicken wings and watched the Super Bowl. 

We had another "time trial" for swimming. I had moved up a lane based on the number of people and am pretty happy with my time. If only I could figure out how to stay on my diet and run plan. Swimming makes me HUNGRY. 

I still don't know how I am going to afford this. Please, Jill R, teach me your grifting skills. ;)

37 minutes ago, withaj said:

@19 cats and counting missing you in the FitBit challenge this week!

I tried to join this morning.  As soon as I opened it, the app crashed and when I tried to rejoin, it does not show up.  

I'm on a mission since Sunday was the first day I missed my goal in 2016 (two family parties plus a lot of junk food).

35 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I tried to join this morning.  As soon as I opened it, the app crashed and when I tried to rejoin, it does not show up.  

I'm on a mission since Sunday was the first day I missed my goal in 2016 (two family parties plus a lot of junk food).

I just sent a new invitation.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived