IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

Guys, I lost my toenail, and it's disgusting.  I'm not posting a picture because I don't hate you all.

BUT IT'S HORRIBLE.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Firiel said:

Guys, I lost my toenail, and it's disgusting.  I'm not posting a picture because I don't hate you all.

BUT IT'S HORRIBLE.

I WANT TO SEE! 

Sometimes Runner's World posts photos of people's feet. I LOVE it. They are SO GROSS! 

23 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Don't feel like you need to stay away, @Firiel, @lawlifelgbt, and myself all aren't exactly "resolutioners" either. (Apologizes if I missed someone.) I know @keen23 has been my fitbit friend for years. So no reason to think that this thread is only for those who started at the first of this year. 

And -- GREAT JOB! Breaking that 10 minute mile barrier is HUGE. 

@Firiel The marathon is just one small part of the Ironman. You still have plenty of time to get there. Was it a race or did you just decide to run 26.2 miles by yourself? What exactly could you do different? Do you need more support? More hydration? Better/Different nutrition? There's always another shot at the marathon. :)

My Weekly Update: 

My week went well, although I still struggle with weekends. Strava says that I did six hours and 41 minutes of tracked workouts. I don't track cross training (lifting/warmups/bodyweight exercises). I had 3/4 bike sessions, 3/4 runs, and 2/3 swims. So overall ... OK. My workouts are getting longer, too, so I am really struggling with getting all of my training, sleeping, eating, and my 40+ hour/week job done as well. 

If I do everything I have scheduled, my weekends would still be mostly rest, with a long bike on Sunday and a long run on Saturday. However, this means I have no official "rest day." Which is OK with me. BUT, I'm not sure it's "ideal." So I've been moving the "long bike" to monday. Which is OK, I guess. My scheduled bikes this week have gotten so long that I can no longer do them at lunch. It's just frustrating to not have enough time. 

Any ideas? Other than get up early every day? 

Thanks! I'm super happy breaking the 10 min mile, pretty sure if I can get my head into it and drop a bit more weight my runnings going really jump up quick 

Wish I could help on the fitting everything in. My work hours vary so the only way I can get it all in is to make myself get up and go to the gym at the same time every morning no matter what. A lot of days that means I only get 2 hours of sleep but I suck it up. I know not everyone is going to do that but I'm bad about excuses, if I get away with one I can always find another. So I just had to go all in lol

4 hours ago, Firiel said:

BUT IT'S HORRIBLE.

Isn't that common for long distance runners? I do feel horrible for you, but it's got to be better than bleeding nipples!

2 hours ago, Crocoduck said:

Isn't that common for long distance runners? I do feel horrible for you, but it's got to be better than bleeding nipples!

I don't know!  This is pretty bad-- I suspect it looks grosser than chafed nipples, though it may not hurt as badly.  It's surprisingly not painful.  I attached a photo of my toe. The edges are a bit ragged because I did most of the work with a pair of fingernail clippers.  Sorry the image is a bit blurry. Please be warned: this picture is gross and graphic and possibly NSFW.

Spoiler

12733618_854342983245_143882146437869498

10 minutes ago, Firiel said:

I don't know!  This is pretty bad-- I suspect it looks grosser than chafed nipples, though it may not hurt as badly.  It's surprisingly not painful.  I attached a photo of my toe. The edges are a bit ragged because I did most of the work with a pair of fingernail clippers.  Sorry the image is a bit blurry. Please be warned: this picture is gross and graphic and possibly NSFW.

Reveal hidden contents

12733618_854342983245_143882146437869498

It's pretty common! 

OMG GROSS WTF! (J/K) 

For people who want to look at stranger's feet: 

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/the-ugliest-runners-feet-youve-ever-seen-part-2

16 minutes ago, Firiel said:

It's surprisingly not painful.

Isn't it weird how the worst looking runner's toenails (or lack thereof) are often not painful.  When I first started long-distance running, my toenails would turn black and fall off.  Ick!  Just make sure it doesn't get infected.  Now that I'm old(er), my toenails are doing well--it's the rest of my body that's falling apart!

I lost my toe nail from hiking but it was not bloody like that- maybe I still had a tiny nub left?

And it did not hurt, but it never grew back in a normal fashion. Now it always grows in- so I have to keep on it like a vigilante.

GL Firiel

13 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I lost my toe nail from hiking but it was not bloody like that- maybe I still had a tiny nub left?

And it did not hurt, but it never grew back in a normal fashion. Now it always grows in- so I have to keep on it like a vigilante.

GL Firiel

Thank you!  I think that sometimes you can lose almost all the layers of your toenail, but there's still some keratin base or something left.  What happened to me (I'm pretty sure) is that I got a giant-ass blister on my toe that completely encompassed the nail.  So when the blister popped and I started tugging at the nail (which was loose, and liable to catch on something), I basically pulled off the whole top layer of skin, as often happens with blisters.  But since the blister was under my toenail, the whole toenail came off too!

It is looking much better, though!

Last week was pretty good. Over 8 hours of tracked training, I hit all of my checkpoints on my long run early, I managed to do three sessions of weight training as well. This week I had to make some adjustments to my schedule and I'm not sure how I am going to fit everything in. There might be some early mornings. I took yesterday off as a rest day, and I used that rest day to do NOTHING but eat junk and play Sims 3 and read. I still could improve on last week. Coach says I have a confidence issue when it comes to running that I don't have in the pool or on the bike (this is only sort of true in regards to the bike. That is 90% dependant on who happens to be around.) 

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good. 41 days until Race Day. Nutrition needs work.  

My nutrition also needs work, @Maggie Mae. But, I made it to OrangeTheory three times this week which I'm proud of. Last week I didn't, because of a lot of personal stuff happening and a migraine. And this week, the personal stuff was still happening, so I wanted to use it as an excuse not to go. But I told myself it would give me a sense of accomplishment, and it did, and I'm really glad I went. So at least that's a win! 

Buuuut "nutrition needs work" sums it up for sure :D

3 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

is it to late to join this group?!??!!?!

Yes.  You need to LEAVE. :P

(But actually, stick around!  It's not too late!)

3 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

is it to late to join this group?!??!!?!

It's never too late! And we aren't like an official group! it's just a thread that I'm using as my fitness blog because I am scared of GOMI

Can I say that I'm really proud of us for still having this thread active into March? I know it's only the second day, but a lot of people give up so soon into the new year and we haven't. Go us! *pats on collective back*

I went back to my weight loss physician today and decided to get back on the program. I've been using food as my indulgence since everything else is stressful, and we worked out a program I think I can stick with. I remember my initial success, and I'm excited to see that again...and wonder what it will look like supported with exercise. Today is my last splurge day, and I'm looking forward to next week's flip or flop to see how I did. 

Proud of us all! 

Okay lovely welcoming people of the fitness group here is my official entry post 

Over the past year I have put on about 75 pounds! After killing myself with a personal trainer for 3 months and not losing any weight he told me to go to the doctor. I did just to find out my thyroid basically peaced out last year and decided to stop functioning. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid disease and was told I would have it for the rest of my life. Gaining that much weight in such a short period of time was brutal on my body and I am embarrassed to admit this but I have stretch marks all over me from my skin being like WTF is going on. They put me on a low dosage of thyroid medicine and told me I slowly have to work my way up to a normal level and that it could take over a year. I have already lost 4 pounds this month on the lowest dose. I can't bring myself to work out anymore after going through a labor intensive workout program and seeing very little results. I tell myself there is no use working out and pushing myself that hard just for my non existent metabolism to not help me out. But I am ready to change that. My brother is getting married in June and I don't want to feel like the monster I feel like now standing in his bridal party. 

I am going to start doing this beach body workout program my sister sent me, this week. It includes small 30 minute bodyweight workouts to 3 days a week, and low intensity cardio in between those days. I like the program because it starts you off slow.  

I have MFP and I plan on keeping it up, even though I am rarely hungry anyways and only want to eat at night (Yay shitty metabolism) 

And I plan on holding myself accountable to this board, by sharing my failures and triumphs and continuing to be inspired by the people participating. Thank you @FundieFarmer for inspiring me and starting this thread.

@BunnyBee, thanks for sharing your story! I'm really glad you did. We are kind of in a similar boat...after a really stressful year or so, I developed a binge eating disorder and gained around 50 lbs. I am getting married in June and I am in the same boat about standing in front of a church full of people. I'm glad you've joined us! Since June 2015, I've lost about 15 lbs, but that's not all I want to lose. I want to toss at least 25+ more, so I joined OrangeTheory and am getting back on my diet plan. I'm glad to hear we have the same timeline and a similar goal! Welcome! We can totally do this!!!!!

12 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

@BunnyBee, thanks for sharing your story! I'm really glad you did. We are kind of in a similar boat...after a really stressful year or so, I developed a binge eating disorder and gained around 50 lbs. I am getting married in June and I am in the same boat about standing in front of a church full of people. I'm glad you've joined us! Since June 2015, I've lost about 15 lbs, but that's not all I want to lose. I want to toss at least 25+ more, so I joined OrangeTheory and am getting back on my diet plan. I'm glad to hear we have the same timeline and a similar goal! Welcome! We can totally do this!!!!!

Ah I love you already @FundieFarmer 

I am doing Kayla Itsines (spelling? too lazy) Beach Body Guide. I did it this morning (WOO HOO GO ME) and I already feel sore! I can PM you the link if you're interested, you originally have to purchase the PDF but it was forwarded to me by a friend of friend etc. 

So, I've started up a glute-strengthening routine to (hopefully) fix my IT band issues... and my butt is killing me.  Like, sitting on the toilet hurts because the edges poke into my sore muscles.

For the next few weeks, I'm going to try to do a 30 minute glute-strengthening routine twice a week and a shortened 15 minute version twice a week.  But I'm gonna have the strongest butt ever!

4 hours ago, Firiel said:

So, I've started up a glute-strengthening routine to (hopefully) fix my IT band issues... and my butt is killing me.  Like, sitting on the toilet hurts because the edges poke into my sore muscles.

For the next few weeks, I'm going to try to do a 30 minute glute-strengthening routine twice a week and a shortened 15 minute version twice a week.  But I'm gonna have the strongest butt ever!

My lower body is so sore today that I would wake up last night from moving my sore legs in my sleep. It hurts so good Firiel :pb_lol:

What do you guys like for running shoes? I'm on my 10th pair since July Cus I keep wearing them out. Granted I'm still 250 pounds and putting close to 40 miles a week on them so I can't  expect to miracles but I'd like to find something that will hold up longer than a month lol. 

I just wore the new underarmour Gemini record running shoes for the first time this morning. It was by far the most comfortable running shoe I've ever worn and the info the shoes bluetoothed to my phone was super cool. But I'm not sure that I can expect any longer life out of those than anything else I've had. 

I just want some good reliable shoes that I don't have to replace every month lol

I've been using Asics Gel Nimbus.  But I'm pretty easy on running shoes.  I'm scrawny and have a boring stride and footfall, and I'm not really injury-prone.  Usually, I can (not should!) get ~1000 miles on my shoes.  This is not recommended, and I'm really irresponsible like that.

Being heavy does wear your shoes out faster, but so does being heavy on your feet.  If you are a newer runner, you might see if you can get some advice (runner friend, YouTube, etc.) on your stride so that you have a lighter footfall.

54 minutes ago, Firiel said:

I've been using Asics Gel Nimbus.  But I'm pretty easy on running shoes.  I'm scrawny and have a boring stride and footfall, and I'm not really injury-prone.  Usually, I can (not should!) get ~1000 miles on my shoes.  This is not recommended, and I'm really irresponsible like that.

Being heavy does wear your shoes out faster, but so does being heavy on your feet.  If you are a newer runner, you might see if you can get some advice (runner friend, YouTube, etc.) on your stride so that you have a lighter footfall.

Def a newer runner. I've walked off the weight I've lost and have been transitioning to running since like November. Im at the point now where I'm running about 3/4's average of each of the 5 miles I do a morning so I'm getting there.  

Im positive I have a heavy footfall, sounds like I'm trying to stomp the treadmill into the ground when I'm on it. I just crank my music and let everyone else get over it lol. I'll check out YouTube tonight, I'm sure my whole form is awful lol 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived