it doesn't roll of the tongue - Spurgeon 

I phoned my mom - she made me repeat it twice 

then she said Spurgeon the virgin 

I am somewhat exhausted by these two 

OMG 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the video. I found it really sad. The look on Jessa's face when Ben was talking about the name was not one of genuine excitement.

You see, in real life, if my husband was dead-set on naming our son Spurgeon, I would laugh and say "no way in hell" but compromise with the middle name.

Ben will call this kid Spurgeon. Jessa will call him Quincy.

Honestly if you name your son Spurgeon you don't love him

Noah would have been a million times better.

Jim Bob actually sounds endearing compared to Spurgeon....Marshmellow would have been nicer.

So they're going to call him Spurgeon, Elliot AND Quincy equally? 

Jess, honey, maybe that's a sign if your whole family is still referring to him as Quincy. 

Pick one and stick with it. 

Jim Bob actually sounds endearing compared to Spurgeon....Marshmellow would have been nicer.

even with that spelling!

I can't believe this is for real. Mentioned it to my husband and he said "they'll be calling him little kid with no friends"  I chuckled, and then felt really bad for that little boy.  :shakehead:

If they just all call him Quincy, why not just fucking name him Quincy???

Also, I hope that this kid hates his name and everything it stands for so much it causes a huge rift between him and his family and he leaves as soon as he's legally able to.

How will he know to hate his name?  When your only contact is your insane relatives, how do you know they are insane?

even with that spelling!

just finished a 15 page paper that's due on Friday. I take no responsibility for what my fingers do while my brain isn't connected after homework hours.:my_blush:

Maybe they'll call him by his initials.  S.E. or S. Elliott?  Anything would be better than Spurgeon.  He's way too cute for that name.  It's their business but they didn't do that boy any favors.

I'm confused about the pool house. Since when do they have a pool? What are you people talking about when you say pool house? The Duggars don't go swimming! 

I see someone followed up on the house question.  As for swimming, maybe there's a joke I'm missing, but the Duggar's have been shown in their ~*modest swimwear*~ a bunch on the show.  Plus Jessa posted these this summer:

https://www.instagram.com/p/6BJh9jDfrq/?taken-by=jessaseewald

Isn't there a saying about cults dying out in the second generation.  Well maybe it will happen in the third generation with the Duggars. At just a week old, this kid already has something to bitch about in therapy. Ugh.  

If they wanted to come up with a unique name, they could have chosen something that sounds like a name. I hate everything about Sarah Palin, but I love the names she chose for her daughters - Bristol, Willow and Piper. They are unique and have personal meaning for the family, but don't sound weird.  Benessa could have done so much better! 

Is Spurgeon a relatively unusual name for Fundie kids? (Dare I ask... Is it the most unusual name for a Fundie kid, if not top 5/top 10?)

So it seems the new name theme in Duggarland is to use names as a billboard for their religious and political preferences. I find that so unfortunate for the kids stuck with them.

I saw on the Facebook comment section that it meant "shrub". I was attempting to verify that and found this instead on a baby name site. 

Famous real-life people named Spurgeon: | Edit

Spurgeon Elliot Seewald. Son of Jessa and Ben Seewald (19 Kids and Counting)

That was a quick update, lol. Last popular in about 1890's when 24 in a million children had that name.  

I saw the thread title and thought it was a joke. Like someone combined words for whatever reason. This name is terrible. I'm sorry, but Spurgeon sounds like it could be another term for jizz.

Example: "My godly wife helped fulfill my special needs so well that I Spurgeoned everywhere."

I see someone followed up on the house question.  As for swimming, maybe there's a joke I'm missing, but the Duggar's have been shown in their ~*modest swimwear*~ a bunch on the show.  Plus Jessa posted these this summer:

oh look  - spurgeon was cooking 

I am convinced that I am going to wake up tomorrow and think this was all a weird dream. Spurgeon. There is not even a really good way to shorten it: Spur. Gin. Spur sounds stupid and gin is alcohol. I can see calling a toddler Quincy because that's got the cute ending sound but are they ever going to use his first name? Will they call him Spurgy or Ginny?

the unkind plays (right word?) on his middle name (just think about it) will start in about yay many years... 

snipped. it's his first name! Spurgeon Elliot Seewald is his name.  Jessa said on Facebook:

Question asker: He's adorable! Will he go by Spurgeon or Elliot?

Jessa Seewald Both, but everybody still calls him Quincy!

I wonder if you change your mind how easy is it for parents to legally change their kids' name...not that they would ever admit that they made a "mistake"...oh God has jokes.

It is not difficult to change the name, but it does cost money. But why would they bother . . .  think Michael Bates. oh wait, those idiots changed her name from Michal to Michael because it was cheaper than changing it to an actual girl name.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived