IGNORED

Jill Duggar Dillard Pt 7 - Y'all Wanna Pay for My Vacation?

happy atheist

Jill, Derick, and Israel are in Guatemala, allegedly to be missionaries. In fact they are not qualified and are not affiliated with the International Mission Board. But they are qualified for a riveting special on TLC, which will presumably fail to mention how they're ripping off their donors. Their "mission" work so far: bragging about how much the locals admire their blond baby, taking a few Spanish lessons, and flying home a whole lot. So, you know, god's work.

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25771

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25980

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26270

Part 4: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26453

Part 5: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26572

Part 6: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26953

blog: Dillardfamily.com/blog

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder when more people will notice the scam they are running

Amazing that they are still pushing the mission field crap when its been pretty widely publicized that they aren't affiliated with a church.

Also, did they forget English when they "learned" Spanish?

post-315-144520009107_thumb.jpg

Based on that video of Jill with Izzy, I think they're still here (though it's not like they post picture and videos to reflect the time they were taken, so who knows?) I still think that Jill will be Jessa's midwife--or the editing will make it look like she's the midwife--for the special, so I don't think they'll be leaving before Jessa gives birth. And I'll go conspiracy theory on this and say that the going away party will be edited to look like it happened before the left for El Salvador the first time, and all the "missionary" footage TLC had is from what they filmed post "cancellation." I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jill and Derrick don't return to Central America.

After taking the time to review the whole Dillard Ministries, my take is I don't believe that they are scamming anyone regarding their "charity." I think they are unaware of things. I do think they did not take the time to plan everything out completely; like, setup up a charity website separate from their personal website, provide a detail mission statement and explain to the possible givers where the money will be funding. I think they relied on their celebrity status and the fact they grew up on tv for people to think 'hey, I would like to help this couple in whatever they desire.'

Do I think that the money is going to their pockets? Yes, because based on their statement their vocation seemed more like a rush opportunity and not a fairly thought out plan with proper execution. However, I really don't fault them due to their upbringing. Maybe when JB and Michelle were in their early teens, getting by on a high school education worked, but in this day of age, being well informed and properly researching everything is commonplace. I think if they want to do things independently, still remain in the public view while starting their own charity, they should properly research their endeavors and get people who knows how to setup their organization properly for them. Well, that is my two cents. I wish them the best in whatever they do. :geek:

After taking the time to review the whole Dillard Ministries, my take is I don't believe that they are scamming anyone regarding their "charity." I think they are unaware of things. I do think they did not take the time to plan everything out completely; like, setup up a charity website separate from their personal website, provide a detail mission statement and explain to the possible givers where the money will be funding. I think they relied on their celebrity status and the fact they grew up on tv for people to think 'hey, I would like to help this couple in whatever they desire.'

Do I think that the money is going to their pockets? Yes, because based on their statement their vocation seemed more like a rush opportunity and not a fairly thought out plan with proper execution. However, I really don't fault them due to their upbringing. Maybe when JB and Michelle were in their early teens, getting by on a high school education worked, but in this day of age, being well informed and properly researching everything is commonplace. I think if they want to do things independently, still remain in the public view while starting their own charity, they should properly research their endeavors and get people who knows how to setup their organization properly for them. Well, that is my two cents. I wish them the best in whatever they do. :geek:

I agree with you. I think they were naive and/or just plain stupid. They thought that they could just do mission work..because Jebus wanted them too.

But, they're not so naive/stupid as to not read or ignore their instagram responses (after all they keep deleting critics), comments to their blog or FB page. Not responding is now an issue. And after the TLC shows, it will be an even greater issue. I'm assuming that, at best, this will be minimaly covered (" we're using all the money for our mission work" from a talking head).

At some point, they had better get some professional advice about putting out an annual statement of income and expenses (although, "expenses" could be very losely defined by them) or they're going to find themselves the headlines in the next Duggar scandal--they're almost there now.

^They've made a few headlines in the last 24 hours. Here are a couple articles I've seen that mention their lack of disclosure re: donations and growing ire from fans.

addictinginfo.org/2015/10/08/frauds-jill-duggar-and-hubby-rejected-by-church-as-missionaries-for-lack-of-education/

rawstory.com/2015/10/jill-duggar-and-husband-were-not-cleared-for-missionary-work-by-anti-lgbt-baptist-group/

intouchweekly.com/posts/jill-duggar-derick-dillard-missionary-church-73131

I would think that a person who has a Bachelor's degree in accounting would certainly know a thing or too about how to properly and legally account for money associated with a business; what can be legally done vs not, or, at the very least, have the resources and connections to the people who possess such knowledge.

Why do these folks seemingly half ass everything?

I would think that a person who has a Bachelor's degree in accounting would certainly know a thing or too about how to properly and legally account for money associated with a business; what can be legally done vs not, or, at the very least, have the resources and connections to the people who possess such knowledge.

It should catch up with them eventually. They have a 501 c3 for Dillard Family Ministries, apparently established in 2014. It is my understanding that any donor is able to request financial records, whether the charity is required to file financials or not (charities that take in less than $50k do not have to file a full blown financial statement).

At some point they are going to have to account for how they spent the donations.

It should catch up with them eventually. They have a 501 c3 for Dillard Family Ministries, apparently established in 2014. It is my understanding that any donor is able to request financial records, whether the charity is required to file financials or not (charities that take in less than $50k do not have to file a full blown financial statement).

At some point they are going to have to account for how they spent the donations.

I can see them trying to lie about that to avoid lehhumpers getting mad about how they spend the donations.

This is what gives me pause. I could see Jill or Jessa/Ben thinking that they can set up a "ministry" and get "donations" and all they need is a website or paypal account, more or less, and as long as they can justify all of their expenses as being for Jesus, then it's all fine and dandy. But Derrick is a college-educated accounting professional. He should know better, even as young as he is. I know the Duggars shun the details most of the time, but these little details are the sort of thing that can land you in real trouble if you don't pay attention to them.

Jill just posted a photo of Izzy at Subway. Do they have Subway in whatever country they are supposed to be in? I'm guessing not. When are they leaving?!

Jill just posted a photo of Izzy at Subway. Do they have Subway in whatever country they are supposed to be in? I'm guessing not. When are they leaving?!

Subway is pretty global. I remember going and getting a turkey sub from a Subway in Hong Kong just to see if it tasted any different (and in the particular area where I happened to be, it was the cheapest restaurant and I didn't feel like hauling ass back to the street near my hotel to go find a cheaper place). I also know that they have a Subway at the main US army base in Afghanistan.

And a quick Google search reveals that Subway has 55 locations in Guatemala. And interestingly enough, 655 locations in Russia.

Derick said in his blog that they were in the US for a planned month long visit. They arrived before Amy's wedding, and she posted about it being their one month anniversary two days ago, so they've been in the US more than a month. Must be time to head back to the mission field and and do good works / convert the heathens / learn Spanish / have a missioncation. (Assuming that they're still in the US and that both Michelle and Jill aren't posting photos taken days ago.)

This is what gives me pause. I could see Jill or Jessa/Ben thinking that they can set up a "ministry" and get "donations" and all they need is a website or paypal account, more or less, and as long as they can justify all of their expenses as being for Jesus, then it's all fine and dandy. But Derrick is a college-educated accounting professional. He should know better, even as young as he is. I know the Duggars shun the details most of the time, but these little details are the sort of thing that can land you in real trouble if you don't pay attention to them.

They are pretty accustomed to accepting gifts. The Duggars did it before they had the teevee show, so why not just smile pretty and ask for money now?

They're in for a serious reality check.

They are pretty accustomed to accepting gifts. The Duggars did it before they had the teevee show, so why not just smile pretty and ask for money now?

They're in for a serious reality check.

The only kind of check they won't accept.

Subway is pretty global. I remember going and getting a turkey sub from a Subway in Hong Kong just to see if it tasted any different (and in the particular area where I happened to be, it was the cheapest restaurant and I didn't feel like hauling ass back to the street near my hotel to go find a cheaper place). I also know that they have a Subway at the main US army base in Afghanistan.

And a quick Google search reveals that Subway has 55 locations in Guatemala. And interestingly enough, 655 locations in Russia.

So...did it taste different? You can't leave us hanging like that. :lol:

Also, re: Jill's Insta—wow, how did I miss the bulletin about Derick's hands? He's no platypus, but that's the most pronounced RL example of webbing I've ever seen.

Yeah, I'm not buying the "naive" excuse, especially for Derick.

And even if these two are both dumb bunnies, they've certainly been alerted by comments from their own fans that they have a problem and should address it. But are they? No, they are continuing to put their fingers in their ears, sing neener-neener-neener I can't hear you, and collect money from gullible people.

They know good and well that there is a problem, but they are not doing a thing to address the problem. And that is on purpose.

I think Derrick started off with good intentions but found out that living the Duggar was is easier and more lucrative. No more getting up early to go sit in a cubicle all day. You get a wife who will be subservient, even though she and her daddy are pulling the strings. You get to travel for free around the world and be on tv. Oh wait, most of the free trips and tv time has been taken away but a little is better than nothing. I think Derrick is very happy to go backwards in life. The Duggar lifestyle is truly the lifestyle of not having to think for yourself. Mediocrity is king and, when you do something the world thinks is stupid, you just say you did it because of Jesus.

In the last thread of this series, someone asked if the IMB had given confirmation that Derrick had worked for them in their Journeyman program when he was single.

I would be extremely surprised if the International Board of the Southern Baptist Convention released this information. If he could only get into Nepal on, what was it--a worker's visa?, then that is probably a sensitive zone the IMB wishes to handle discreetly, for the safety of their missionaries.

Personally, I have no trouble believing him when he answered me affirmatively on Twitter about having been a Journeyman. Aside from the Peace Corps and the LDS, I'm not very familiar with other programs, two years in length, that send qualified college grads from the U.S. to other countries. If we happened to know anyone who went through training in his group before he left, they might be able to confirm it.

At Previously TV in the Duggar thread, they have messages from Derick's twitter where he says he got a student visa. He was apparently in language school and also working leading hikes or something, according to the Linkdin information they posted.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived