IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 6 - Still Smug, Still Pregnant

happy atheist

For a lot of recommendations, the odds are still in your favor for a healthy baby. But for me, I always thought - Okay, if something DOES happen, will I blame myself for all of the little things I did or didn't do? Probably. So I tried to stick to all of my doctor's recommendations. That way if something happened, I would know I did everything that was considered 'right' at the time. Of course, most of it wasn't very hard for me since I didn't drink much coffee, don't like sushi, rarely eat lunch meat anyway, don't drink alcohol, etc.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you try a supplement that is JUST folic acid? Sometimes those can be tolerated more than a multivitamin. It took me a couple brands before I found one that agreed with me.

I was pretty paranoid about what I put in my body while pregnant. And it's scary that new research is always popping up. Like about zofran, for example. They used to give that out like candy to pregnant ladies.

i did try a few different brands, but i just couldn't tolerate any of them. i tried comprehensive one first, then switched to one without iron after my bloodwork came back as great, then tried folic acid only. i've never tolerated vitamins all that great, and since my physical reactions seem to be exaggerated in pregnancy (like hypoglycemia) perhaps that could be why. my mother also couldn't tolerate prenatals and can't take most vitamins without an upset stomach, so maybe whatever type of intolerance she has was passed to me?

my doc did tell me about zofran, but the information about it causing birth defects was from a january 2012 study. a study done in february 2013 found no such link, so while prescribers won't hand them out like candy anymore, they will give them to women who are so sick they can barely eat or drink and there's probably not much of an increased risk.

I have a cousin who is pregnant and she's not consuming any caffeine or alcohol of any kind (not even cooked), which seems reasonable enough. What blows my mind is that she's not eating eggs with runny yolks or meat that isn't well-done. I would be a very sad woman without my soft boiled, fried, and poached eggs... And well-done steak actually offends my taste buds. I think it's her business what she does with her pregnancy, but I don't know that I would be quite that vigilant.

Eating well-done steak is offensive to my values as an American. /s

I'm bad. I ate sushi while pregnant. Lol but the place I go had cooked and uncooked fish, no doubt I choose cooked. But it was just once and a social event. And I love sushi.

I didn't quit smoking cigarettes, but I couldn't smoke like a chimney while pregnant: it made me so sick.

I smoked (vaped, whatever) Cannabis. I'm very vocal about it when I can, as it really truly did help with morning sickness and, yes, stress.

I drank a small glass of wine on new years, my first as a 21 year old. My mother started fuming, but I stuck with what the doctor said: small amounts on special occasions.

I'm that woman who doesn't always play by society's rule book. The one who they all look down on, oh she's single, oh you shouldn't smoke, hey you shouldn't breastfeed in public. Hear me roar, biatches, i feel no shame. My son is happy and very healthy. :) and I'm like every other mom: burned out from too much working (and SAHMs, what you do is work, too. Keep doing your thing, ladies. I wish I could afford to.)

Any new developments?

Jessa is young, smug, and pregnant. Her husband Ben is even younger, and possibly smugger. They don't have jobs. Their baby is due in November, and they're talking about adopting next year, which is ridiculous.

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25723

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=25780

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26281

Part 4: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26679

Part 5: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26968

Dont you have to have an investigation before you can adopt? And aren't things like an steady income part of the investigation?

If they are able to adopt (heaven forbid!) it will be because someone DONATED their baby!

I was on zofran for both my pregnancies. For the entire thing. Every.single.day. Pill, by IV, you name it and I got it. My choice was to take it or vomit 10-25 times a day and therefore not eat. So I made my choice. Both my kids are fine. Not ideal but the alternative wasn't attractive either. My kids were born befor 2012 so if I had read the study I honestly wonder what I'd of thought about it. My OB had no issues with prescribing it to me in my situation

Man, pregnancy is something I never want to experience again. And God willing, my modern medicine techniques for preventing it will hold tight :)

Dont you have to have an investigation before you can adopt? And aren't things like an steady income part of the investigation?

If they are able to adopt (heaven forbid!) it will be because someone DONATED their baby!

With Josh locked up for who knows how long and Anna MIA - they could always adopt (pass off) an M kid.

I just saw Jessa and Jinger shopping at a local Target. It was a little surreal. I was trying really hard not to openly stare. They posed for pictures with a few people who asked. They were checking out right next to me, so I couldn't help but check out their purchases out of the corner of my eye. Nothing super exciting. Some generic baby stuff, a pillow, and a game of connect four. Jinger looked gorgeous and happy. Jessa looked like she was over being pregnant, but still had that pursed/slightly duck lipped expression she often has in her selfies. I must admit, I was super excited to see them in person.

I just saw Jessa and Jinger shopping at a local Target. It was a little surreal. I was trying really hard not to openly stare. They posed for pictures with a few people who asked. They were checking out right next to me, so I couldn't help but check out their purchases out of the corner of my eye. Nothing super exciting. Some generic baby stuff, a pillow, and a game of connect four. Jinger looked gorgeous and happy. Jessa looked like she was over being pregnant, but still had that pursed/slightly duck lipped expression she often has in her selfies. I must admit, I was super excited to see them in person.

You could check the Instagram pictures for that target. There's a chance they tagged the location and posted them. I assume that's okay if the Instagram account is public?

Did she pay with giftcards? :whistle:

Did she pay with giftcards? :whistle:

LOL, I didn't stalk them enough to see how they paid, but I did wonder if they were going to use gift cards.

Cannabis was the only thing that would quell the nausea long enough for me to get ginger-lemon tea and crackers down my gullet. Controversial, I know. But I was very close to hyperemesis (sp?). I lost 10 lbs just from morning sickness.

I had the same thing and a 10 lb weight loss also. I took zofran and phenergan. Never heard of pot as a treatment.

Then again, it's almost impossible to do research with pregnant women, especially drug studies. That's why the recommendations are to not take lots of things. We have no good way to test.

I just saw Jessa and Jinger shopping at a local Target. It was a little surreal. I was trying really hard not to openly stare. They posed for pictures with a few people who asked. They were checking out right next to me, so I couldn't help but check out their purchases out of the corner of my eye. Nothing super exciting. Some generic baby stuff, a pillow, and a game of connect four. Jinger looked gorgeous and happy. Jessa looked like she was over being pregnant, but still had that pursed/slightly duck lipped expression she often has in her selfies. I must admit, I was super excited to see them in person.[/quote

thanks for sharing :)

what was she wearing ?

because she posted a selfie today....

Hello from Midtown!

ETA: Maybe I'll see you at Cosentino's on Saturday; it's the spouse's favorite salad bar, so we have to drive aaaaaaallllll the way down there every Sat. I love Brookside, but if it were up to me we'd never leave our neighborhood (except for Trader Joe's and Target). :)

I still haven't made it to TJ's but I'm at Target wayyy too often!

My husband's college buddies all used to hang around midtown! Isn't that where Go Chicken Go is?

Hi, Lost Martian!

You guys are making me scared for ever getting pregnant sometime in the distant future!!! No lunch meat?? I never heard of that. I eat lunch meat almost daily. Sushi?? My fave! I have heard that some alcohol in moderation is ok, and so I will probably be that pregnant lady drinking a glass of wine whenever the feeling hits.

Eating well-done steak is offensive to my values as an American. /s

I'm not American but I agree. My dad trained me to eat my steaks rare from the start.

My mom smoked occasionally during her pregnancies. My mom also drank beer while pregnant, although since she's German that isn't actually considered drinking.

You guys are making me scared for ever getting pregnant sometime in the distant future!!! No lunch meat?? I never heard of that. I eat lunch meat almost daily. Sushi?? My fave! I have heard that some alcohol in moderation is ok, and so I will probably be that pregnant lady drinking a glass of wine whenever the feeling hits.

Ah, don't be afraid :) I was so thrilled about being pregnant, that it was easy to follow common sense recommendations re diet, exercise, etc. Because that is the beginning of this amazing unconditional total love for another being.

*Not a health care professional*

I figured that it would be best to avoid hard alcohol, but that the occasional glass of wine would not hurt. That's not advice; just how I handled that issue. (Son was born with no complications and is now a very healthy 17 year old, fwiw)

I still haven't made it to TJ's but I'm at Target wayyy too often!

My husband's college buddies all used to hang around midtown! Isn't that where Go Chicken Go is?

Hi, Lost Martian!

Go Chicken Go is on Troost east of Rockhurst. I wouldn't consider it Midtown, but I'm no expert. I consider Midtown to be 39th north to Pershing and includes Old Hyde Park (Hi Griffin!), Valentine, Roanoke, Union Hill, Coleman Highlands, Penn Valley, and Crown Center. Others might include Westport and the Plaza in there, too. :shrug:

TJ's is just down the stairs and around the corner from Target! Go! You won't regret it!

Griffin, I don't think the Maxwell's come to "our" Costco, seeing as how it has the largest liquor dept. of all the Costco's in the country (it's true!). They probably go to Lenexa seeing as it's alcohol-free and they can access it easily from 35 and not have to drive through the scary city.

Hello, Lost Martian!

Kansas Citians, unite! :dance:

ETA: I managed to fuck up the quoting. Sorry about that!

Ah, don't be afraid :) I was so thrilled about being pregnant, that it was easy to follow common sense recommendations re diet, exercise, etc. Because that is the beginning of this amazing unconditional total love for another being.

*Not a health care professional*

I figured that it would be best to avoid hard alcohol, but that the occasional glass of wine would not hurt. That's not advice; just how I handled that issue. (Son was born with no complications and is now a very healthy 17 year old, fwiw)

I'm not really afraid. In fact, if I ever make it that far with a partner where we are considering bringing children into this world, I would be ecstatic. But indeed I didn't know I would have to give up my egg, ham and cheese sandwiches. Of course, wouldn't be the end of the world. But my coffee, you would have to pry from my hands. I already figured pregnancy would be hell for me anyways, since I'm one of those people who can get nauseous for no given reason after eating an innocuous slice of pizza. Yes, I've been to the doctor. No, I'm not celiac or IBS or lactose intolerant.

Kansas Citians, unite! :dance:

We're an hour and a half-ish south of KC. We're there all the time, though, because that's the closest major shopping opportunity, and because one of my kids has a lot of appointments at Children's Mercy Downtown.

I'm not really afraid. In fact, if I ever make it that far with a partner where we are considering bringing children into this world, I would be ecstatic. But indeed I didn't know I would have to give up my egg, ham and cheese sandwiches. Of course, wouldn't be the end of the world. But my coffee, you would have to pry from my hands. I already figured pregnancy would be hell for me anyways, since I'm one of those people who can get nauseous for no given reason after eating an innocuous slice of pizza. Yes, I've been to the doctor. No, I'm not celiac or IBS or lactose intolerant.

The risk with lunch meat is infection fromListeria monocytogenes, which happens to have a particular affinity for meat packing plants and lunch meat. Listeriosis can cause spontaneous abortion especially early in pregnancy. (I've worked in a Listeria research lab and also a meat plant)

When I wanted lunch meat, I microwaved it for a minute and then ate it. That usually kills the bacteria. Still, there is a small amount of risk in that.

We're an hour and a half-ish south of KC. We're there all the time, though, because that's the closest major shopping opportunity, and because one of my kids has a lot of appointments at Children's Mercy Downtown.

Children's Mercy is often where we hang out too! Oldest boom has ASD.

I moved to KC after college, MSU and UCM, and am still getting the hang of it. Don't tell my husband but, I do like it here.

Except Arthur Bryant's sauce. That stuff is dreadful.

You aren't supposed to eat lunchmeat when you're pregnant? :pink-shock: Well dang. That might explain a few things about my kids. Poor bastards.

Wonder what this will mean for my future grandbabies, with their lunchmeat tainted parents?

Same here... I craved salami rolled around pepperoncini peppers constantly while I was pregnant with LF, she seems... relatively normal :lol:

ETA that she absolutely hates salami. Wrinkles her nose and gags if anyone eats it around her....

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived