IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 6 - Still Smug, Still Pregnant

happy atheist

Yes, excessive, on the other hand my doctor defined that as more than 2 cups a day. . . there is still a lot of coffee you can safely have.

I think it depends on what type of "coffee" a person has. Sometimes 1 cup of something can have a LOT of caffeine. It's more about the amount of caffeine itself. Which is often hard to determine if you're getting your coffee made by someone else. It's not an exact science, I don't think. Experts say to keep it until 200mg a day.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello from Brookside!

Hello from Midtown!

ETA: Maybe I'll see you at Cosentino's on Saturday; it's the spouse's favorite salad bar, so we have to drive aaaaaaallllll the way down there every Sat. I love Brookside, but if it were up to me we'd never leave our neighborhood (except for Trader Joe's and Target). :)

Hello from Midtown!

ETA: Maybe I'll see you at Cosentino's on Saturday; it's the spouse's favorite salad bar, so we have to drive aaaaaaallllll the way down there every Sat. I love Brookside, but if it were up to me we'd never leave our neighborhood (except for Trader Joe's and Target). :)

I still haven't made it to TJ's but I'm at Target wayyy too often!

My husband's college buddies all used to hang around midtown! Isn't that where Go Chicken Go is?

Hi, Lost Martian!

You aren't supposed to eat lunchmeat when you're pregnant? :pink-shock: Well dang. That might explain a few things about my kids. Poor bastards.

Wonder what this will mean for my future grandbabies, with their lunchmeat tainted parents?

I've heard this as well, from a doctor friend (I'd have to ask her about the studies). I posted this recently (or something along these lines) on another thread recently, but it's a follow-up article on the "crack baby" epidemic. Apparently, the kiddos who were exposed in utero were prone to being premature, and had preemie- and other related issues, but outgrew most of the problems, as preemies are prone to do: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/healt ... 12373.html

Fascinating stuff. Clearly no one would recommend using OR abusing drugs and/or alcohol while pregnant, but it's interesting to see where media hype ends and truth begins. Alcohol is really one helluva drug...

I have a chronic pain condition and have to take narcotics everyday to be able to move... fun times... When i queried what this would mean in pregnancy (i.e., can i actually have a baby AND move? Or can I only do one at a time?) my gyn said that babies born to heroin addicted mothers do MUCH better than those to mothers that drink alcohol during pregnancy. at least with narcotics, you can give a shot and it instantly counters the narcotic in the system of the baby (like the narcane shot they give in cases of heroin overdose). Not sure about other drugs (legal or otherwise), but that's been my medical advice from Australia's leading obgyn in the field :D Haven't put it to the test... I'll stick with Bengal Cats for now :D

Well, that is a drift I wasn't expecting. My foster sibling has Fetal Alcohol Syndrom and I am telling you it's not fun. It is thought that alcohol during pregnancy has worse effects than other drugs is because an alcohol metabolic product is passing the placental barrier like nothing and the babies liver is not capable of reducing the blood alcohol levels as fast as the mother (or at all, depending on the developmental stage). This means it only gets rid of the alcohol by diffusion, and that can take some time. Worst case, it doesn't even get rid of it before the mother drinks alcohol again. (http://www.rise.duke.edu/apep/pages/page.html?050402)

I can't say anything about the coffee...but my mum drank a shit ton of black tea which I believe has comparable levels of caffeine, while she was pregnant with my sister, and then me. And none of us appear to suffer. According to her, all of the women in Britain continue drinking tea while pregnant. Of course, my mum likes to take medical/dental advice she prefers when it differs between countries, lol! But I think medicalizing pregnancies is somewhat problematic in certain ways...like a doctor freaking out because the mother is eating lunch meat, or not taking prenatal vitamins, or whatever...

But heavy drinking/doing drugs while you're pregnant and intending to keep the baby- that's irresponsible and dangerous AF for the baby. I mean, while I think jailing pregnant drug addicts is somewhat extreme, women need to quit. Check yourselves into rehab if necessary. Babies having Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or born being addicted to meth is horrifying.

Of course, I've also heard you can drink moderately while pregnant and the baby won't care. So I presume maybe marijuana is also relatively safe in moderation. And it'll probably make you hungry af, which decreases the risk of your baby being born underweight, LOL! But I've also heard things about THC killing brain cells, but apparently those trials were badly done... So, I mean, I wouldn't do it...

I can't say anything about the coffee...but my mum drank a shit ton of black tea which I believe has comparable levels of caffeine, while she was pregnant with my sister, and then me. And none of us appear to suffer. According to her, all of the women in Britain continue drinking tea while pregnant. Of course, my mum likes to take medical/dental advice she prefers when it differs between countries, lol! But I think medicalizing pregnancies is somewhat problematic in certain ways...like a doctor freaking out because the mother is eating lunch meat, or not taking prenatal vitamins, or whatever...

But heavy drinking/doing drugs while you're pregnant and intending to keep the baby- that's irresponsible and dangerous AF for the baby. I mean, while I think jailing pregnant drug addicts is somewhat extreme, women need to quit. Check yourselves into rehab if necessary. Babies having Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or born being addicted to meth is horrifying.

Of course, I've also heard you can drink moderately while pregnant and the baby won't care. So I presume maybe marijuana is also relatively safe in moderation. And it'll probably make you hungry af, which decreases the risk of your baby being born underweight, LOL! But I've also heard things about THC killing brain cells, but apparently those trials were badly done... So, I mean, I wouldn't do it...

On the one hand, I do think that people get freaked out way too much about a process that humans have been doing pretty darn well for the past few thousand years, but on the other, medical interventions and some level of medicalizing have reduced infant and mother mortality rates significantly. I wouldn't be here if my mom didn't go to the doctor regularly and subsequently discover that I was completely pointing the wrong way (head up near her lungs) and natural birth would very likely result in oxygen deprivation. My sister (and by extension my mom) wouldn't be here without medical intervention because my mom got pneumonia while pregnant with her, and the cord got wrapped around my sister's neck (thankfully she'd already decided on a c-section for unrelated reasons -- mainly that she'd had one for me and didn't feel confident about VBAC). And prenatal vitamins can help prevent devastating conditions like anencephaly and spina bifida if a mother isn't getting enough nutrients for whatever reason. Medicalizing childbirth can be a bad thing (over-invasive procedures, doctors not really caring about the emotional aspect of pregnancy and birth), but after my mom's experiences with me and my sister, and reading too many horror stories of what happens to women who don't have access to good medical care during pregnancy and birth, I'm very for it.

And I agree that putting addicted mothers in jail is counter-productive unless they've committed another crime (in fact, I believe this about all drug users/buyers -- unless they're going to sell it or they've done something else, like hurting/killing someone, stealing, or driving under the influence, they need treatment, not jail). With proper treatment and support, I'm sure many of these women could be good parents, and jail is generally not going to give them that help and support to kick the habit and get healthy for their unborn children.

Now, I do think that if a parent is doing drugs AFTER the kid is born and puts the kid in danger (especially driving drunk or cooking meth/selling drugs/leaving paraphernalia in the home), that's jail-worthy. If you're just doing drugs by yourself and not actively endangering another person you're responsible for (just hurting yourself), that's one thing. If you're an addict and you get pregnant and you actively take steps to quit your habit, that's one thing (and it's a good thing). But if you are hurting and endangering a child who has no choice in the matter, and you have little to no intention of getting your shit together, you pretty much lose my sympathy.

On the one hand, I do think that people get freaked out way too much about a process that humans have been doing pretty darn well for the past few thousand years, but on the other, medical interventions and some level of medicalizing have reduced infant and mother mortality rates significantly. I wouldn't be here if my mom didn't go to the doctor regularly and subsequently discover that I was completely pointing the wrong way (head up near her lungs) and natural birth would very likely result in oxygen deprivation. My sister (and by extension my mom) wouldn't be here without medical intervention because my mom got pneumonia while pregnant with her, and the cord got wrapped around my sister's neck (thankfully she'd already decided on a c-section for unrelated reasons -- mainly that she'd had one for me and didn't feel confident about VBAC). And prenatal vitamins can help prevent devastating conditions like anencephaly and spina bifida if a mother isn't getting enough nutrients for whatever reason. Medicalizing childbirth can be a bad thing (over-invasive procedures, doctors not really caring about the emotional aspect of pregnancy and birth), but after my mom's experiences with me and my sister, and reading too many horror stories of what happens to women who don't have access to good medical care during pregnancy and birth, I'm very for it.

And I agree that putting addicted mothers in jail is counter-productive unless they've committed another crime (in fact, I believe this about all drug users/buyers -- unless they're going to sell it or they've done something else, like hurting/killing someone, stealing, or driving under the influence, they need treatment, not jail). With proper treatment and support, I'm sure many of these women could be good parents, and jail is generally not going to give them that help and support to kick the habit and get healthy for their unborn children.

Now, I do think that if a parent is doing drugs AFTER the kid is born and puts the kid in danger (especially driving drunk or cooking meth/selling drugs/leaving paraphernalia in the home), that's jail-worthy. If you're just doing drugs by yourself and not actively endangering another person you're responsible for (just hurting yourself), that's one thing. If you're an addict and you get pregnant and you actively take steps to quit your habit, that's one thing (and it's a good thing). But if you are hurting and endangering a child who has no choice in the matter, and you have little to no intention of getting your shit together, you pretty much lose my sympathy.

No, I agree of course! I'm simply referring to things like doctors freaking out over and acting like slight deviations from standard practice meaning that the pregnant woman's being a very bad mother.

You aren't supposed to eat lunchmeat when you're pregnant? :pink-shock: Well dang. That might explain a few things about my kids. Poor bastards.

Wonder what this will mean for my future grandbabies, with their lunchmeat tainted parents?

I actually talked to my doctor about that! Apparently it's a big deal for some places that don't properly refrigerate it, but mostly in the U.S it's perfectly fine to eat lunch meat.

I have a cousin who is pregnant and she's not consuming any caffeine or alcohol of any kind (not even cooked), which seems reasonable enough. What blows my mind is that she's not eating eggs with runny yolks or meat that isn't well-done. I would be a very sad woman without my soft boiled, fried, and poached eggs... And well-done steak actually offends my taste buds. I think it's her business what she does with her pregnancy, but I don't know that I would be quite that vigilant.

There are legitimate reasons not to eat that while pregnant, though, and not everyone would miss runny yolks and rare meat. I know I wouldn't. I never eat eggs with runny yolks and I could easily go 9 months without touching red meat or alcohol at all. It wouldn't be a sacrifice for me. It just comes down to personal choice. I know I'd have a hard time giving up all caffeine.

Look at it this way, guys!

Stress is also pretty bad for your baby. So if giving up all of your caffeine will stress you out too much, I'd say go for drinking very little.

*please consult your physician before following medical advice from a random stranger on a non medical forum

It's not the actual lunch meat, itself, that is the problem. But it is the risk of it having listeria.

http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy- ... /listeria/

There are a lot of other foods that can be contaminated with listeria as well.

But there is a lot of science to back up things like prenatal vitamin usage. Current diets typically don't have enough vitamins for babies. Especially folic acid. And it's known that not enough folic acid can cause major birth defects. People that don't listen to facts like that are just idiots, in my opinion.

A cup of black tea typically will have a lot less caffeine than a cup of coffee.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... t-20049372

But there is a lot of science to back up things like prenatal vitamin usage. Current diets typically don't have enough vitamins for babies. Especially folic acid. And it's known that not enough folic acid can cause major birth defects. People that don't listen to facts like that are just idiots, in my opinion.

A cup of black tea typically will have a lot less caffeine than a cup of coffee.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... t-20049372

In the US most bread products have folic acid in them (because people were worried about babies not getting enough as your supposed to start the supplements 3 months before getting pregnant, and half of all pregnancies are not planed). My doctor said it was basically a non issue unless you have risk factors, but take the supplements anyway, because there is no harm in doing so.

On drinking while breastfeeding, I thought it was fine in very limited amounts. Interesting to hear other studies.

In the US most bread products have folic acid in them (because people were worried about babies not getting enough as your supposed to start the supplements 3 months before getting pregnant, and half of all pregnancies are not planed). My doctor said it was basically a non issue unless you have risk factors, but take the supplements anyway, because there is no harm in doing so.

On drinking while breastfeeding, I thought it was fine in very limited amounts. Interesting to hear other studies.

i had to stop taking my prenatals, they were making me even sicker than i already was. i tried to start taking them again in the second trimester, but it was a no go, even with zofran to help. my mum was the same way, so it almost makes me wonder if something else is in play with us. i'm just doing my best to eat well (which, i actually crave a lot of healthy things, so it's not too hard). i figure if i'm sick, i can't eat like i should anyway, so there's no use shoving stuff down my throat if i'm also not backing it up with a proper caloric intake.

i had to stop taking my prenatals, they were making me even sicker than i already was. i tried to start taking them again in the second trimester, but it was a no go, even with zofran to help. my mum was the same way, so it almost makes me wonder if something else is in play with us. i'm just doing my best to eat well (which, i actually crave a lot of healthy things, so it's not too hard). i figure if i'm sick, i can't eat like i should anyway, so there's no use shoving stuff down my throat if i'm also not backing it up with a proper caloric intake.

My cousin had a terrible time with prenatals, and it turned out that the iron was the problem. Switched to one without iron and it was much better (though pregnancy still sucked so much that she said, "I'm not doing this shit again" at 12 weeks, and has stuck to that 2 years after giving birth).

Like everything, it seems the pendulum swings back and forth on what is best for a pregnant mother to eat/drink/etc. I ate what was recommended in the What to Expect when You're Expecting book. I took at least a 15-minute walk every day, and it usually ended up longer than that. I initially cut out all alcohol and caffeine and I quit smoking cold turkey. After some time passed, I did resume drinking one cup of coffee in the morning, but it was half coffee and half hot water. Over the course of my last two months, I did drink perhaps 3 or 4 glasses of wine.

Did you try a supplement that is JUST folic acid? Sometimes those can be tolerated more than a multivitamin. It took me a couple brands before I found one that agreed with me.

I was pretty paranoid about what I put in my body while pregnant. And it's scary that new research is always popping up. Like about zofran, for example. They used to give that out like candy to pregnant ladies.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived