IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 6 - Still Smug, Still Pregnant

happy atheist

Ugh. When I was pregnant I couldn't finish a cup of coffee without being ill. Which is funny, because like my fellow coffee addicts here I regularly 1 litre+, sometimes 2 litres.

From my understanding, drinking a bit of coffee while pregnant is okay. Providing that it does not make you very sick. It's not in the same category as smoking/drinking/drugs while pregnant.

Excessive caffeine can cause a miscarriage.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excessive caffeine can cause a miscarriage.

Yes, excessive, on the other hand my doctor defined that as more than 2 cups a day. . . there is still a lot of coffee you can safely have.

Yes, excessive, on the other hand my doctor defined that as more than 2 cups a day. . . there is still a lot of coffee you can safely have.

Especially when youre like me and drink a little coffee with your creamer! ;)

After my late grandma hit her 90's and had more serious health issues, the doctor told her she needed to switch to decaf. She couldn't stand it, so she'd strike a compromise in the kitchen: half-regular; half-decaf. She was of the mindset that one HAD to follow the doctor's orders -- for the most part. [emoji38]

Kinda jealous of those who had to give up coffee while pregnant. My morning (read: all day & all night) sickness prevented me from enjoying coffee and even TEA. Hormones, man...they mess with everything.

Cannabis was the only thing that would quell the nausea long enough for me to get ginger-lemon tea and crackers down my gullet. Controversial, I know. But I was very close to hyperemesis (sp?). I lost 10 lbs just from morning sickness.

Cannabis was the only thing that would quell the nausea long enough for me to get ginger-lemon tea and crackers down my gullet. Controversial, I know. But I was very close to hyperemesis (sp?). I lost 10 lbs just from morning sickness.

You can have pot while pregnant? I assume you ate it, but i had never heard of it before

You can have pot while pregnant? I assume you ate it, but i had never heard of it before

Vaporized. And i believe so. There's really no scientific tests to back anything up, positive or negative. However, our bodies have THC receptors on our brain and it is because... TADA! There's cannabinoids in breastmilk. That's why babies get milk drunk. Teehee.

This is why I adore the total anonymity of FJ. None of you can call the cops [emoji14]

That... feels weird. I am totally pro cannabis, medical and recreational, but i hope that everything you did was with your dosctor's aproval even if it was under the table.

A lot of what doctors say can and can't be done/consumed during pregnancy is almost always under some weird controversy because no woman wants to willingly have her and her baby be part of trials for alcohol/caffeine/fish/soft cheese/weed/etc. while pregnant because what IF? What a scary experiment.

Most people (and how I look at it) will of course want to stay safe and just stay away from anything that has ever been iffy to eat while pregnant, but sometimes doctors conflict. My mom had an ob who said NO lunch meat at all, and then she had another for a different pregnancy that said turkey is fine but no ham, and then for her last pregnancy her doctor said, ham's fine as long as you microwave/cook it on the stove.

Even some of the medical studies around alcohol and pregnancy are a bit controversial because they used women who were also addicted to other substances like cocaine. But really, there were no controls for them to make a scientific conclusion about what cocaine does during pregnancy or what alcohol does during pregnancy independently of each other. They just knew together it was bad.

I'm not saying to go out and continue your fast and loose sushi and stinky cheese lifestyle while pregnant, but a lot of the forbidden things are murky and have changed from my mom's time to mine. So maybe with the advent of legal weed, we might be able to fund studies to see what the effects really are.

I'm not saying to go out and continue your fast and loose sushi and stinky cheese lifestyle while pregnant, but a lot of the forbidden things are murky and have changed from my mom's time to mine. So maybe with the advent of legal weed, we might be able to fund studies to see what the effects really are.

Can't imagine it'll be easy to fund studies on cannabis during pregnancy for a while. I live in Washington State where cannabis is legal to purchase (as opposed to just decriminalized) for those over 21. But there are still so many restrictions on the shops and other problems because of federal regulations. For instance, you have to pay for the cannabis products in cash because banks can't accept the money in most cases (because under federal regulations, I think it's technically money laundering or something). Until cannabis becomes legalized on a wider scale, it's probably hard to do effective studies just because of all the hoops to jump through. I've seen a bunch of articles about parents wanting to try cannabis oil for their kids' seizures, because nothing else worked well, running into all sorts of legal issues. Not to mention the stigma still attached to any use of cannabis -- even medicinal -- in many areas of the US.

What's even the point of decaf coffee? Nobody drinks it for the taste... :think: It's pointless.

I drink coffee for the taste, always have, and the last few years I've only been able to drink decaf. I live in Kansas City and Parisi's 24th St. Decaf (found at You Say Tomato) is fantastic and indistinguishable from regular, taste-wise.

Can't imagine it'll be easy to fund studies on cannabis during pregnancy for a while. I live in Washington State where cannabis is legal to purchase (as opposed to just decriminalized) for those over 21. But there are still so many restrictions on the shops and other problems because of federal regulations. For instance, you have to pay for the cannabis products in cash because banks can't accept the money in most cases (because under federal regulations, I think it's technically money laundering or something). Until cannabis becomes legalized on a wider scale, it's probably hard to do effective studies just because of all the hoops to jump through. I've seen a bunch of articles about parents wanting to try cannabis oil for their kids' seizures, because nothing else worked well, running into all sorts of legal issues. Not to mention the stigma still attached to any use of cannabis -- even medicinal -- in many areas of the US.

I also live in Washington state! I've read a lot about how hard it is in the state for the rec stores to sell it. A funny story, some places have to have two different safes for the product and the money because the banks wouldn't take the skunky money. :lol:

Yeah, I don't think these studies are coming in the next 5 or 10 years, but I think if they want to legitimize cannabis as a medicinal herb, it might be a road they try to go down.

All the beverage talk made me think about the Adagio Tea website, and how you can custom-blend combinations and name them after characters in your favorite fandoms. Lots of Doctor Who, Sherlock and Buffy. Lots of Disney princesses.

Sadly, there are no Duggar blends. Might be fun to come up with some, though.

I drink coffee for the taste, always have, and the last few years I've only been able to drink decaf. I live in Kansas City and Parisi's 24th St. Decaf (found at You Say Tomato) is fantastic and indistinguishable from regular, taste-wise.

Hello from Brookside!

All the beverage talk made me think about the Adagio Tea website, and how you can custom-blend combinations and name them after characters in your favorite fandoms. Lots of Doctor Who, Sherlock and Buffy. Lots of Disney princesses.

Tator tot tea?

My dr. Actually told me to drink Dr. Pepper instead of coffee unless it was black. (I dont drink it period)

I get pretty bad migraines and just sipping on a can all day helps tremendously

A friend's mother had super terrible morning sickness and the doctor prescribed straight coca-cola syrup. I guess it worked fabulously.

Mullet Mate

Howler Monkey Picked

Prayer Closet Pu-erh

Since you're talking about it and it's a really cool piece of info I thought I'd share.

I learned in my psych class today that apparently drinking alcohol is worse than doing hard drugs while pregnant. Not that both aren't terrible, but the baby can recover easier from the drugs than from the effects of the alcohol.

I don't have any personal pregnancy stories so that's my two cents lol

Since you're talking about it and it's a really cool piece of info I thought I'd share.

I learned in my psych class today that apparently drinking alcohol is worse than doing hard drugs while pregnant. Not that both aren't terrible, but the baby can recover easier from the drugs than from the effects of the alcohol.

I don't have any personal pregnancy stories so that's my two cents lol

What was this based on? What were the studies? How much alcohol was involved?

well, i don't think my doc wouldn't call my previous habit of ~48oz/day as anything less than excessive :P

as for the other quirky diet things...i'm not big on lunchmeat or fish or stinky cheese anyway, so it's not like those things were a big loss for me. i did get a LOT of morning sickness, though, to the point where i lost about 10lbs and sometimes the only thing i could eat (for some weird reason) was nutella. no clue why nutella, but it was the only thing that didn't make me want to gag just thinking of it. i'm very glad that stage is over, though i still have a few lingering food aversions.

oh, and i love that happy atheist is adding all kinds of user titles. :D

What was this based on? What were the studies? How much alcohol was involved?

I've heard this as well, from a doctor friend (I'd have to ask her about the studies). I posted this recently (or something along these lines) on another thread recently, but it's a follow-up article on the "crack baby" epidemic. Apparently, the kiddos who were exposed in utero were prone to being premature, and had preemie- and other related issues, but outgrew most of the problems, as preemies are prone to do: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/healt ... 12373.html

Fascinating stuff. Clearly no one would recommend using OR abusing drugs and/or alcohol while pregnant, but it's interesting to see where media hype ends and truth begins. Alcohol is really one helluva drug...

Vaporized. And i believe so. There's really no scientific tests to back anything up, positive or negative. However, our bodies have THC receptors on our brain and it is because... TADA! There's cannabinoids in breastmilk. That's why babies get milk drunk. Teehee.

This is why I adore the total anonymity of FJ. None of you can call the cops [emoji14]

I had a friend who did that, years ago. Her husband was "in the industry" and got her a vaporizer. She didn't use much (and hated it when she wasn't preggo), but it was the only thing that helped with morning sickness with pregnancy #2. She also drank coffee during that pregnancy, because she was still chasing after the results of pregnancy #1 and couldn't rest. Anecdata, but the kiddo who resulted from that pregnancy is normal all-around, gets great grades, and shows no deleterious effects.

Totally controversial, though. It's a tough area to discuss -- even worse because it'll take a very LONG time to get any quality studies on the subject. I can't imagine who would fund a study that would test prenatal exposure to cannabis, because we really seem to avoid trying to potentially harm fetuses these days. Though perhaps in another decade...

I've heard this as well, from a doctor friend (I'd have to ask her about the studies). I posted this recently (or something along these lines) on another thread recently, but it's a follow-up article on the "crack baby" epidemic. Apparently, the kiddos who were exposed in utero were prone to being premature, and had preemie- and other related issues, but outgrew most of the problems, as preemies are prone to do: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/healt ... 12373.html

Fascinating stuff. Clearly no one would recommend using OR abusing drugs and/or alcohol while pregnant, but it's interesting to see where media hype ends and truth begins. Alcohol is really one helluva drug...

I haven't had a chance to look up the studies yet but he gave us a fast explanation. Alcohol in particular kills brain cells. While adults have plenty to spare, babies do not. So drinking during brain development is super detrimental because it affects brain cells so heavily.

I haven't had a chance to look up the studies yet but he gave us a fast explanation. Alcohol in particular kills brain cells. While adults have plenty to spare, babies do not. So drinking during brain development is super detrimental because it affects brain cells so heavily.

it might also be because of undeveloped livers. that's the reason they cite when they say you can't drink while you're breastfeeding.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived