IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion -14

happy atheist

you have to go !!!

My ex has a brother and sister in the city, and I have friends nearby. If they do go, I will go. I don't need the membership, lol, but I know people who have them and I can just claim theirs for a day. 

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see this posted yet, but someone correct me if I overlooked something. 

Looks like Jim Bob & J'chelle are going to be keynote speakers at the Alberta Homeschool Conference in Canada in 2016: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/duggars-alberta-homeschool-conference-1.3294323

So, it looks like they are starting to get speaking engagements again. Although, the article makes it sound like this was planned a few years ago? 

Apparently there has been a lot of backlash since the press got that announcement.  The conference is now considering canceling the Duggars' appearance.  The president of the homeschool association posted his personal email online.  Maybe he got some flak. http://www.inquisitr.com/2530193/update-duggar-family-speaking-engagement-now-in-limbo

If they pull the Duggars, they better not pay them. JB will still consider that a win and he doesn't deserve it. 

If they pull the Duggars, they better not pay them. JB will still consider that a win and he doesn't deserve it. 

If JB is as big a grifter as we all suspect, they will have to pay him. The contract will have already been signed. 

I still wonder what they have told the little ones about Josh, especially the M kids.  Do you think they've dismissed it as Josh did something wrong, so he's gone to get right with Jesus, or are they pretending everything is normal, and that Josh is just off on a mission?  Have they told them that it's the evil outside world persecuting them as Christians?  Or that they need to be grateful that they are being protected from the hateful media?

The camera crew is back, so that must seem somewhat normal to them.

Old person here, finally figured out how to make an avatar.  Old people rock! :my_biggrin:

I would hope the people running the event would be smart enough to write in a clause where they have the final say in everything including payment, assuming you wouldn't be paid for this type of speaking engagement until after you spoke. 

I still wonder what they have told the little ones about Josh, especially the M kids.  Do you think they've dismissed it as Josh did something wrong, so he's gone to get right with Jesus, or are they pretending everything is normal, and that Josh is just off on a mission?  Have they told them that it's the evil outside world persecuting them as Christians?  Or that they need to be grateful that they are being protected from the hateful media?

The camera crew is back, so that must seem somewhat normal to them.

Old person here, finally figured out how to make an avatar.  Old people rock! :my_biggrin:

The Doctor and Donna. Good choice.

Old person here, finally figured out how to make an avatar.  Old people rock!

:my_biggrin:

i just got an avatar too! it might take us a little longer, but we old peeps eventually figure stuff out LOL and then there's this--->:dramallama-nanner:which i find highly amusing for no reason!

I used to hire speakers for events and I always had a clause that I could cancel for any reason until a certain date in time with no penalty. After that I would pay a portion of the speaker's fees if we cancelled, but also in the same clause was if the speaker cancelled past a certain date they paid us a portion of the fee they would have received. It really wakes some speakers up who try to cancel willy nilly if they have to fork over cash from their own pocket to get out of the contract.

I think the  Alberta Homeschool Conference has too much money if they are paying Ma & Pa J'Duggar to speak.  Those two are a pair of idiots who raised a bunch of second generation idiots.  Great examples of homeschooling!  You would think they would want parents who homeschooled successful students who went on to Ivy League Colleges on full scholarships not parents who taught their children little more than how to grift, clean house, cook dinner for 20 people and mow lawns.

Even after they wrote out that HUGE justification, they are still going back on it potentially?? Seems they didn't really feel confident in their choice after all.

I loved this quote from the Inquisitor article:

In their heyday, the bulk of the family’s bookings were from politicians, homeschool conventions, and churches. Now that even more Duggar family scandals have emerged, those lucrative appearances are gone. The simple reason for this is that the Duggar parenting skills are no longer seen as an example for others to follow, and their core family values are now suspect.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2530193/update-duggar-family-speaking-engagement-now-in-limbo/#OymKOUfyDuh6tBcl.99

Argh! I am officially bored with Duggarland. I don't care what Jessa has. I don't care who might be courting. Looking forward to the SVU, and enjoyed seeing all the pets. Much more interesting than speculating on Benessa's due date.

Give me something substantial to snark on Duggars.  Rant over. :my_angry:

19 Kids and Counting may have been cancelled, but as Jill and Jessa are going to put the next generation of minor children to work on UnReality TV, this is still relevant. 

Remember, Federal Child Labor Laws do not cover minor children working in entertainment and the Coogan Law is CA specific.  Children working on Reality TV are not required to be compensated, nor are their hours and conditions of work governed by Child Labor Laws in many states, including Arkansas.

Paul Petersen is a powerful advocate. My bolding:   https://www.facebook.com/minorcon/posts/959529454110673

Can We at Least Agree On This?
Children are a special class of human kind. They are uniquely un-formed, utterly dependent, and slaves to the adults who brought them into this world and the society into which they were born.
We all know how children are created, right? They did not ask for this. They are, in a word, innocent. Biologically mature adults are responsible. Of that there is no doubt. Children are a special charge. The rules, for kids, are different…or at least they used to be.
When did they become sexual objects? Since when are they merely background players, mere props? Who decreed that a child immersed in a working environment in which all the contributory adults are compensated for their labor, could somehow NOT be themselves working?
Reality TV producers and broadcasters would have you believe that the real-life, living, breathing kids involved in their productions are there just by accident…voiceless appendages to the busily performing adults who are surrounded by paid professionals…from writers to directors to PR professionals to crew members and network executives.
Since when? Can you really accept this nonsense promulgated by so-called media apologists? There they are, right in your face…children broadcast on national television…be they naïve pageant participants or hard-driving Little Leaguers, twelve and under, playing their hearts out in the Little League World Series broadcast to huge {and profitable} ratings by Disney.
They sing, they dance, they emote with conviction…and we’re supposed to believe it’s all just an accident?
Child Labor is a fact. We are beyond our agrarian past when, even as a child, if you didn’t work you didn’t eat. Tell me again that child labor doesn’t fit on the ledger sheet, or that no one profits from their labor. 250 million children go to work every day. 250 million Heads-of-Households worldwide are unemployed! Are you kidding?
Come on Oprah with me and explain why everyone in reality television gets paid but the children. Defend the exemption to child labor laws found in the Fair Labor Standards Act that has been on the books since 1938. Explain why industry animals have more protection in the media than children.
This isn’t politics, my friends. There is no Right or Left or party affiliation when it comes to working kids.
We are destroying the very notion of childhood. Fashion mavens are promoting younger and younger fashion models, boys with breasts. Pedophiles are rampant. Educators care more about their pensions and perks than the children they’re supposed to teach. Teams of school district lawyers are now filing briefs saying that children are partially responsible for the sexual assaults visited upon them.
If you want to cure the sickness that has enveloped this world, start with the children. No exemptions, no excuses, no more prevarications.
If children don’t deserve special protection then morality and ethics have no meaning and the popular media owns our souls.
Paul Petersen

Boys with breasts?  Is that referring to Jazz?

I'm 100% for reality shows following at least the bare minimum standards of the movie industry which dictates maximum hours on the set and minimum hours of tutoring by age.  I still don't understand how the television industry got to by pass all those laws-- after all reality shows are made for profit and where profit is involved there needs to be worker protections in place, especially when those workers are under eighteen.

I'm 100% for reality shows following at least the bare minimum standards of the movie industry which dictates maximum hours on the set and minimum hours of tutoring by age.  I still don't understand how the television industry got to by pass all those laws-- after all reality shows are made for profit and where profit is involved there needs to be worker protections in place, especially when those workers are under eighteen.

I missed the boys with breasts comment on first reading. Yikes.  I really hope it wasn't referring to Jazz because I usually like Paul Petersen.  He needa a sharp rap on the nose polite email for that. ;(

To clarify though, when you refer to "minimum standards of the movie industry" you are talking about the industry being forced kicking and screaming into complying with the Coogan Law, AKA the California Child Actor's Bill.  That was enacted in 1939 and has been modified many times since then.  It now includes children in reality TV.   The industry has to be monitored at all times because of trying to get away with stuff.

Another problem is that with no Federal Law in place movie and tv productions just move to states with lax or outdated child labor laws.  NY has Coogan-type laws now, as does PA (the Gosselin Law) but AR, AZ and NC are  notoriously lax.  It is also hard to enforce those laws for some shows, especially reality shows, and production companies find every loophole they can.  One example, Dance Moms (PA based) films a lot in New Jersey and other surrounding states.  Those hours don't count when assessing hourly limits for the children's work per weeks. 

Sorry, I can go on about this for hours.  Back to your regularly scheduled snark now.

I was not aware of this.  I might watch. :AOK:

well the duggars just released 100 behind the scenes photos from Jessa's rehearsal 

whose -rewatching the wedding tomorrow :D 

Bueller 

Are you serious? No one cared about the gazillion wedding pictures you released the day after Amy's wedding, Jessa. What makes you think anyone gives a rat's ass about 100 REHEARSAL DINNER PICTURES? God, these people are delusional.

Are you serious? No one cared about the gazillion wedding pictures you released the day after Amy's wedding, Jessa. What makes you think anyone gives a rat's ass about 100 REHEARSAL DINNER PICTURES? God, these people are delusional.

because we need to see more pictures (especially the black and white ones) of Jessa's awesome yellow sweater that she alleged bought from Forever 21 

Happy Anniversary and Baby Seewald Due DAte DAY 

I am around for a couple of hours - then gone till 8pm tonight - Someone pm if something happens :D 

The term "boys with breasts" has been used for years to refer to the obsession with very thin, straight bodies on women, especially in the fashion industry. I assumed the original poster was referring to the preference for 14-year-old fashion models whose bodies aren't fully developed. 

The term "boys with breasts" has been used for years to refer to the obsession with very thin, straight bodies on women, especially in the fashion industry. I assumed the original poster was referring to the preference for 14-year-old fashion models whose bodies aren't fully developed. 

Thank you for explaining that.  I've had a few email exchanges with Paul Petersen and have donated to A Minor Consideration in the past.  He has always struck me as a wonderful person and has worked very hard to protect children working in entertainment from exploitation.  I wouldn't want to think he was transphobic.

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived