IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion -14

happy atheist

A friend of mine was in a restaurant in Arkansas when in walked the Duggars. She has family (my friend) that lives in the area. She said the first thing out of JB's mouth was what age is considered an adult? He counted off and they ended up paying for one meal between all of them. These are not kind actions of a Christian man. He is making businesses suffer due to his cheapness, She also said they were very loud and messy with several tables leaving shortly after the Duggars arrived. He thinks he is being funny getting all these good deals. They aren't good deals. He is just taking advantage of others. Period. She has mentioned several times that her in laws have stated they are not well liked in the area and that the Josh situation has been "known" about for quite some time.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my jobs is working @ an animal hospital, & I've seen a prolapsed rectum. I know that's not the same thing as a prolapsed uterus, obviously, but I can't imagine what a prolapsed uterus looks like (especially a human one). Eww.  :brainbleach:

I'm sure that quoting from my own post is tacky, but I just remembered something. I have seen a prolapsed cow uterus (courtesy of the Animal Planet show, "The Amazing Dr. Pol" (who is wickedly cool, btw), & it is gross.

Again, haven't seen a human one & I have no plans on doing so anytime soon. :my_sick:

If you want to see one, there is a very graphic image of one in wikipedia. And i'll spoil you, it's gross

Catching up, so a little late posting this about the website offering the Duggars' speaking fees.

This disclaimer:

Disclaimer

Celebrity Speakers Bureau is a corporate consulting and talent acquisition firm built to assist corporate clients looking to hire celebrity speakers. Celebrity Speakers Bureau does not identify as the exclusive agent representing any talent who appears on this website, nor does it claim to be their publicist, attorney, literary agent, manager, etc. Any written materials associated with celebrity talent that appears on this website is provided to assist corporate clients in the process of booking a celebrity talent and is not intended to indicate representation of said talent or their obtain-ability for opportunities.

The fees listed on this website are to be utilized as a guideline and are subject to change without notice, please contact a CSB representative for the most up to date fees.

I suspect that this site that can't even link up the right pic with the right Duggar girl (but then could Michelle?) and refers to Bob Duggar takes something off the top for not representing these folks, but making connections for people not smart enough to find the speaker's direct agent.

I was all excited, I saw Jim Bob Duggar's name pop up on trending on my FB page.  Then I saw it was a People deal about them going to the marriage retreat.  How is this trending and why should we care?  I feel like they are doing almost anything for attention now. 

I was all excited, I saw Jim Bob Duggar's name pop up on trending on my FB page.  Then I saw it was a People deal about them going to the marriage retreat.  How is this trending and why should we care?  I feel like they are doing almost anything for attention now. 

Yeah it trended last night for awhile and I thought yeah what's the big deal about this.

15 bunk beds? Enough for 30 boys? Either JB had wild aspirations, or Hartono meant 5. JB must have generously donated the other 10. :irony:

Math is hard.

Those beds appear as if they can be three high.  So is it possible he meant 5 sets of bunks? You know, 5 sets would be 15 beds....math is so very very hard

One of my jobs is working @ an animal hospital, & I've seen a prolapsed rectum. I know that's not the same thing as a prolapsed uterus, obviously, but I can't imagine what a prolapsed uterus looks like (especially a human one). Eww.  :brainbleach:

On one of his last shows, Jon Stewart referred to Michelle's uterus as Old Faithful.

A friend of mine was in a restaurant in Arkansas when in walked the Duggars. She has family (my friend) that lives in the area. She said the first thing out of JB's mouth was what age is considered an adult? He counted off and they ended up paying for one meal between all of them. These are not kind actions of a Christian man. He is making businesses suffer due to his cheapness, She also said they were very loud and messy with several tables leaving shortly after the Duggars arrived. He thinks he is being funny getting all these good deals. They aren't good deals. He is just taking advantage of others. Period. She has mentioned several times that her in laws have stated they are not well liked in the area and that the Josh situation has been "known" about for quite some time.

I can't figure out how they only managed to pay for one meal.  Did JB walk in with a bunch of under 12 kids and expect free meals for all of them?  I can't imagine why any restaurant in Tonitown would still be providing unlimited children's meals with one adult.

I think what usually happens is that JB  and Michelle walk in with 4 over 12's and 6 under 12's  so they end up paying for 6 meals and getting 6 free.  Usually the kid's free meals are from a limited kid menu and they are cheap meals with small portions (spaghetti or a hot dog with beans.)  Restaurants that offer this deal are not losing any money, trust me.  The people losing money on the deal are the wait staff because no doubt the Duggars only tip on the amount of meals paid for.  Whenever I have used a coupon for a free meal with purchase I always tip 20% on what the total bill for 2 meals would have been.  It isn't fair to the waitstaff to make them work for free.

15 bunk beds? Enough for 30 boys? Either JB had wild aspirations, or Hartono meant 5. JB must have generously donated the other 10. :irony:

Math is hard.

Those beds appear as if they can be three high.  So is it possible he meant 5 sets of bunks? You know, 5 sets would be 15 beds....math is so very very hard

I suggested a page or so back that they could be triple bunks, but it was (correctly) pointed out that the ladders only extend to the second bunk, and perhaps it was storage above.  They still could be triples, and the boys on top just have to haul themselves up.  No safety rails probably wouldn't bother the Duggars.   Or maybe the top is rarely used, since there's only 8 or 9 in the room, depending on JD. Maybe unused mattresses from the top were bought down onto the floor for the little M boys in that very messy photo.  These bunks, with the bottom mattress so close to the floor, are just odd in my view.

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I just looked at Jonathan Hartono's LinkedIn Profile for the first time: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhartono

His resume entry for "Jim Bob Duggar's Personal Assistant" makes me want to blow chunks.

Interesting...

I don't know if Hartano is a naturalized citizen, a permanent resident, or if he is on a student or work visa.  If it's the visa scenario, I wonder if Jim Bob paying him is within the legal boundaries?  Just thinking out loud...

The visa/resident question is an interesting one. I know that when I was studying in the US, my student visa did not allow me to work at all. So that may be the reason why Hartono was playing JB's yard boy (probably for room and board plus maybe a little pocket money under the table) rather than working in a sports-related field. Though I agree that volunteering at some kind of sports-oriented summer camp or whatever would still have been a better option.

Yeah it trended last night for awhile and I thought yeah what's the big deal about this.

Facebook trends are based on pages viewed/browsing history while logged in as well as popularity.  I was surprised to see my husband's is always full of Sci-Fi, military and world news while mine had Duggars, Muppets, and the Green Bay Packers... I'm not proud. haha.

If building furniture from a kit (bunkbeds, ikea shelves, whatever) is now considered acceptable on a resume, mine will be 10 pages long from all the furniture and at home projects I have completed. Kidding of course, but why do people think they need to add bullshitty skills to a resume just to add fluff and fill out the full page. If you haven't done any professional work, don't make it up! Just have a shorter resume! Go volunteer and add that! I'd much rather see legit volunteer experience than a list of skills everyone in the general population has. 

This is one of my pet peeves after helping countless college freshmen with resumes and undoing the dumb suggestions they got in highschool for building a resume...

My "favorite" skill is Microsoft office suite. CONGRATULATIONS! You can type a word document. You can enter data in excel! Seriously. Learn some real computer programs instead of claiming yo uare a genius because you can make a powerpoint....:kitty-cussing:

I work for an distinguished retired English professor who writes books now and wins awards blah blah.  She sometimes has students help her (for free ) where as I get paid.  Anyway these so called University students don't know how to format a letter and don't know that a letter needs a postal code.  It's scary....

Learn some real computer programs instead of claiming yo uare a genius because you can make a powerpoint....:kitty-cussing:

ITA about putting Office in your resume, but some people are really bad at PowerPoint.  Less is more!  Nothing like putting a dissertation on 20 slides.  Also, it drives me batty when people simply read the PP while presenting.   That's not the point!!!

Learn some real computer programs instead of claiming yo uare a genius because you can make a powerpoint....:kitty-cussing:

ITA about putting Office in your resume, but some people are really bad at PowerPoint.  Less is more!  Nothing like putting a dissertation on 20 slides.  Also, it drives me batty when people simply read the PP while presenting.   That's not the point!!!

Agreed, except I think that emphasizing proficiency in Excel is often really relevant. So many people I have worked with professionally have been HOPELESS at Excel formatting, formulas, macros, what have you. Even just filter and sort is a good start for some of these people! 

Agreed, except I think that emphasizing proficiency in Excel is often really relevant. So many people I have worked with professionally have been HOPELESS at Excel formatting, formulas, macros, what have you. Even just filter and sort is a good start for some of these people! 

So true. Excel has all sorts of uses and making a budget in Excel does not make someone proficient depending on the job they are applying for.

My "favorite" skill is Microsoft office suite. CONGRATULATIONS! You can type a word document. You can enter data in excel! Seriously. Learn some real computer programs instead of claiming yo uare a genius because you can make a powerpoint....:kitty-cussing:

Really? Yeah, I guess if you're applying for an IT position or something, but most clerical or administrative jobs ask for proficiency in MS Office suite. It makes sense to put it on your resume, and it shows that you've actually read the job description.

Really? Yeah, I guess if you're applying for an IT position or something, but most clerical or administrative jobs ask for proficiency in MS Office suite. It makes sense to put it on your resume, and it shows that you've actually read the job description.

Thank you. I'd say at least at third of the jobs I'm applying for explicitly ask for proficiency in MS Office suite. I'd be pretty stupid not to put it on my resume, frankly.

ETA: And also (even if that was hyperbole on your part) no on is claiming to be a genius for being able to use Office. I'm also not claiming I'm a genius when I list that I speak three languages on my resume. I am merely listing my skills, as one ought to.

I am amending with my agreement originally.  It is definitely appropriate to have your Microsoft Office skills in a resume when it's a requirement for the job!

I have not been to university in ages - is it possible to actually get a 4 year college degree in the US and NOT know how to use Microsoft Office? 

Not to change the subject but I just read that the hacker group Anonymous will expose a list of 1,000 KKK members.  Why do I feel like the impending doom of another Josh Duggar scandal coming on?  

Not to change the subject but I just read that the hacker group Anonymous will expose a list of 1,000 KKK members.  Why do I feel like the impending doom of another Josh Duggar scandal coming on?  

Sounds more like a Bates scandal. 

I am amending with my agreement originally.  It is definitely appropriate to have your Microsoft Office skills in a resume when it's a requirement for the job!

I have not been to university in ages - is it possible to actually get a 4 year college degree in the US and NOT know how to use Microsoft Office? 

Knowing the basics of Word no you probably aren't going to graduate without knowing that.  Knowing how to use Excel to it's full potential, absolutely not.  I can't use excel to it's full potential and I've been back to school recently. 

I agree that sounds more Bates than Duggars. But I don't really expect any Bates on the list either.

Will this list of KKK members be in Word or Excel?  :my_shy:

Yes indeed. We once had a temp who was just getting back to the job market after raising her kids.  She was a terrific typist and generally efficient but she couldn't do anything beyond typing on Word.  Adjusting paragraph width, bullets and endnotes were a challenge.  And she never figured out how to do envelopes.  Excel might as well have been Fortran or higher math, as far as she was concerned.  We were glad when the regular secretary came back.

Very, very possible. Most students will only need to use Word for basic word processing (paper writing), not formatting or mail merge or any of the really useful business applications of the program. I can't think of a time I ever had to use Excel in a class, though I'm sure that wouldn't be the case for a lot of business students. And have you seen how bad most PowerPoint presentations are? 

Just to add in my two cents on the thread drift, I got my current job because of my proficiency in Excel. I graduated from a university in May, so of course I was looking at mostly entry level positions. I supported myself through college, so I didn't have much relevant work experience - I worked a retail job that had nothing to do with my current job in the financial industry.

As a student, however, I took a required computer class which covered the basics of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and then I took an additional optional class which only covered business applications of Excel.

As I mentioned, I didn't have much experience so my classes and irrelevant extracurricular activities were on my resume, and I got hired for my position simply because I knew Excel so well. And I currently use it every day. As much as I hated those classes when I took them, they turned out to be among the most useful in my college career.

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived