IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion -14

happy atheist

I think JB and Grandma Mary are the real heads of this family. They are intelligent in a sleazy-sly kind of way, I guess, and very savy with a lot of business sense. I imagine Michelle being rather unintelligent, gullible and possibly suffering from Stockholm's syndrome on the hands of JB. Remember she said she was scared of this endtime movie she watched when she was 15 and changed her ways? I think JB took advantage of that fear and still holds it over her head to this day.

Didn't JB's grandma go to university when it was still difficult for women to attend? Wasn't his father (or grandfather?) a relativly high rank in the military?

What are the Duggars local connections in NW Arkansas like? How long has their family been in the area? Since they arrived in the US? What kind of power did they attain over the generations in that area? How did they become so powerful (since nobody came forward earlier on the Josh scandals, I think they hold an immense power in some way)? Through real estate, church, politics? What circles are they in? Who do they know that we don't know of?

Am I asking dangerous questions?

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I switched majors in college because I was an idiot and didn't think things through :pb_lol: but one of the classes I managed to take before I left the business major was Excel, and I ended up having to use it quite a bit in my current profession anyways. I really hate Excel, but damn I'm glad I learned a bit more of it. lol

My "favorite" skill is Microsoft office suite. CONGRATULATIONS! You can type a word document. You can enter data in excel! Seriously. Learn some real computer programs instead of claiming yo uare a genius because you can make a powerpoint....:kitty-cussing:

Really? Yeah, I guess if you're applying for an IT position or something, but most clerical or administrative jobs ask for proficiency in MS Office suite. It makes sense to put it on your resume, and it shows that you've actually read the job description.

Yes indeed. We once had a temp who was just getting back to the job market after raising her kids.  She was a terrific typist and generally efficient but she couldn't do anything beyond typing on Word.  Adjusting paragraph width, bullets and endnotes were a challenge.  And she never figured out how to do envelopes.  Excel might as well have been Fortran or higher math, as far as she was concerned.  We were glad when the regular secretary came back.

I am loving this conversation. :my_heart:

My note about excel was more the mere mention of it on a resume. I've seen plenty of college students put "experience with excel." There is a HUGE difference between having used excel to enter data and make a graph (they teach this in high school) and being able to use formulas, macros and do statistical analysis when you work in the technical field.  But sure, if your job application requires experience with it, of course include it. I was referring to engineering, science, and computer programmers listing it as the first bullet under "professional skills."

TLDR:  if you are putting MS office on your resume, have some substantial proof of your expertise with it if your job requires advanced technical skills. 

(i work in a very technical field and am biased towards coworkers needing legit knowledge with software and intense CAD programs). 

I think JB and Grandma Mary are the real heads of this family. They are intelligent in a sleazy-sly kind of way, I guess, and very savy with a lot of business sense. I imagine Michelle being rather unintelligent, gullible and possibly suffering from Stockholm's syndrome on the hands of JB. Remember she said she was scared of this endtime movie she watched when she was 15 and changed her ways? I think JB took advantage of that fear and still holds it over her head to this day.

Didn't JB's grandma go to university when it was still difficult for women to attend? Wasn't his father (or grandfather?) a relativly high rank in the military?

What are the Duggars local connections in NW Arkansas like? How long has their family been in the area? Since they arrived in the US? What kind of power did they attain over the generations in that area? How did they become so powerful (since nobody came forward earlier on the Josh scandals, I think they hold an immense power in some way)? Through real estate, church, politics? What circles are they in? Who do they know that we don't know of?

Am I asking dangerous questions?

See, I just don't see them as being "evil masterminds" as you paint them, and I definitely don't see GM being any kind of a leader. If she was, wouldn't Deanna have fallen in line, too? GM has two "personalities" it seems, one she uses with JB and the other she uses around Deanna and Amy. I think GM realized that, if she wanted to be close to her grandchildren, she had to play a part. And, I also imagine that she pushed JB to do things like grift because she couldn't find any other way to make sure the kids were taken care of. But, I really don't see her as being the one who orchestrated everything.

I also think that JB is more intelligent than you'd expect with his "country bumpkin" attitude, but I don't see that making him a mastermind, especially when it comes to controlling Michelle. I think the two of them really just have very similar ideas and are both drawn to the same ideals. It's really not that unheard of. Just because she was easily swayed by an end of the world prediction when she was in high school, that doesn't mean she's completely incapable of forming her own thoughts and desires without someone making them for her.

If anything, I expect that Michelle is the more devout of the two of them. When Josie was born, you could definitely see that JB was questioning things, while Michelle was holding true. I wouldn't be at all surprised that JB was more than happy to let Michelle's childbearing years end, even if he pretended to be concerned about her lack of a pregnancy after Jubilee.

I also think that the two of them have a much more "equal" relationship than we believe. Whether it's because they talk it out, or because one makes a decision and the other goes along so that the same is repeated when the situation is reversed, or Michelle is just good at planting her ideas in JB's head, or whatever, I think that the decisions in that household are made by both of them.

When Bin was sleeping in his mouse infested guest quarters it came out that the Duggars have a true guest house somewhere on the property but someone else was staying in it or would be staying in it at some point.  So Bin basically got relegated to the the room above the garage.

Didn't see this posted yet, but someone correct me if I overlooked something. 

Looks like Jim Bob & J'chelle are going to be keynote speakers at the Alberta Homeschool Conference in Canada in 2016: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/duggars-alberta-homeschool-conference-1.3294323

So, it looks like they are starting to get speaking engagements again. Although, the article makes it sound like this was planned a few years ago? 

2016 is still a little into the future. I am wondering if all the lawsuits against their homeschooling program will affect this in the long run. I read an article last night stating that Gil Bates was also being named in the suit. I have not found anything to back this up but it was an interesting thought and made me wonder if both the Bates and the Duggars were slowly flushing themselves into oblivion. I can dream can't I? :2wankers:

When Bin was sleeping in his mouse infested guest quarters it came out that the Duggars have a true guest house somewhere on the property but someone else was staying in it or would be staying in it at some point.  So Bin basically got relegated to the the room above the garage.

that was purely for the show i bet - I am sure he got to sleep somewhere decent 

otherwise why would he bother staying there

I switched majors in college because I was an idiot and didn't think things through :pb_lol: but one of the classes I managed to take before I left the business major was Excel, and I ended up having to use it quite a bit in my current profession anyways. I really hate Excel, but damn I'm glad I learned a bit more of it. lol

Blasphemy! Excel is my favorite! I spend 80% of my day using Excel.

2016 is still a little into the future. I am wondering if all the lawsuits against their homeschooling program will affect this in the long run. I read an article last night stating that Gil Bates was also being named in the suit. I have not found anything to back this up but it was an interesting thought and made me wonder if both the Bates and the Duggars were slowly flushing themselves into oblivion. I can dream can't I? :2wankers:

http://www.freejinger.org/topic/24484-negligence-lawsuit-filed-against-iblp/

Not to change the subject but I just read that the hacker group Anonymous will expose a list of 1,000 KKK members.  Why do I feel like the impending doom of another Josh Duggar scandal coming on?  

Icing on the cake would be if their "preferences" included non-WASP or LGBT provided only KKK member's names are exposed.

that was purely for the show i bet - I am sure he got to sleep somewhere decent 

otherwise why would he bother staying there

Because of Jessa's side hugs and long flowing mane of hair. Why else? :my_biggrin:

Looks like Jim Bob & J'chelle are going to be keynote speakers at the Alberta Homeschool Conference in Canada in 2016: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/duggars-alberta-homeschool-conference-1.3294323

So, it looks like they are starting to get speaking engagements again. Although, the article makes it sound like this was planned a few years ago? 

AHEA (Alberta Home Education Association) response, at the link below, from back in June. Nothing new since the Joshley Madison stuff came out though.

http://www.aheaonline.com/index.php?start=3

Holy Crap!!  They are going to be in Red Deer for this conference.  It is so wrong, but I want to go!

Not so fast. The AHEA homepage was updated tonight. They're "reviewing" their 2016 speakers. Appears once it hit the mainstream news that they were supposed to appear at the convention, a rather large hue and cry was raised. I'm thinking the AHEA people got a rather large and angry earful from both the public realm and the xian homeschooling realm.

http://www.aheaonline.com/

Not so fast. The AHEA homepage was updated tonight. They're "reviewing" their 2016 speakers. Appears once it hit the mainstream news that they were supposed to appear at the convention, a rather large hue and cry was raised. I'm thinking the AHEA people got a rather large and angry earful from both the public realm and the xian homeschooling realm.

http://www.aheaonline.com/

Ah nuts.  When I went to the link on I think buzzfeed it didn't have the new update.  I suppose it is for the best.  No more speaking engagements, canned questions, simpering smiles, all children are flowers, but I wanted to go looky loo.

I was tempted but don't need the home schooling membership. Had it been at something like the women's show or the parent and tots one I would have gone. I wonder if they'll still have to pay them?

If the Duggars already have a contract to be keynote speakers it could be hard to "uninvite" them.  Depending on the contract they might be entitled to payment if the organization decides to uninvite them.  

here's to pivot tables!

If the Duggars already have a contract to be keynote speakers it could be hard to "uninvite" them.  Depending on the contract they might be entitled to payment if the organization decides to uninvite them.  

$10K-$20K worth of GTFO we don't want you payment, according to our local news.

If Excel were a person, I'd throat punch them. 

lol

I honestly told my exboyfriend that we were going on a road trip for this. I am not lying. I really, really, really want to go. 

I honestly told my exboyfriend that we were going on a road trip for this. I am not lying. I really, really, really want to go. 

you have to go !!!

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived