IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion -14

happy atheist

I am the JD "disliker". I guess I just don't find some of the stuff he does is funny or take it as a joke. I don't see how he can be any judge of a suitable husband for his sisters with the sheltered life he has led. Like the interrupting of a wedding? I felt so bad for Anna for more than one reason but she didn't need to be put through any more smuck to marry into the family. I saw no reason for him to be so hard on Ben. Yes, it may great TV but it also made him look like a complete smuck. If he were in Ben's situation I just don't think he would have handled it quite as well.  Yes, he is a constable but my understanding is that is not a paid job. So I go back to the "do any of them work?" For anyone besides their dad? I do believe he is on the shy side but I do also believe he is not going to break out against any of the fundie ideals as it would pretty much ruin the lifestyle he has set up. He comes and goes at will which none of the females are allowed to do.

That fence thing really bothers you, eh?  I thought JB assigning him to clean a gross ol bathroom that Ben hadn't yet had a part in making that way was worse. At least with JD he got donuts!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait a minute, maybe that´s why he is nowhere to be found? His face is rather average, so with a beard he may well become quite a different person. (So different at least that a random viewer would not necessarily recognize "that weird guy from the tv show".)

Maybe JB told him to not shave, so they would be safe from any headlines about Josh sightings and the public´s attention could be softly drawn back to the more deserving Duggars (like Jessa and such). Maybe this is all part of JB´s ingenious strategy, especially designed to win back the family´s :irony: wholesome reputation?

Lol - this gave me images of Josh with a man bun in full lumbersexual mode. Unfortunately, I can picture it rather well! :laughing-rollingyellow:

That fence thing really bothers you, eh?  I thought JB assigning him to clean a gross ol bathroom that Ben hadn't yet had a part in making that way was worse. At least with JD he got donuts!

I still grossed out thinking about him cleaning that bathroom without gloves on.

Wait a minute, maybe that´s why he is nowhere to be found? His face is rather average, so with a beard he may well become quite a different person. (So different at least that a random viewer would not necessarily recognize "that weird guy from the tv show".)

Maybe JB told him to not shave, so they would be safe from any headlines about Josh sightings and the public´s attention could be softly drawn back to the more deserving Duggars (like Jessa and such). Maybe this is all part of JB´s ingenious strategy, especially designed to win back the family´s :irony: wholesome reputation?

:Yes:I've been saying all along that he could be at someplace like RU, going out into the community with a beard and/or some sort of disguise, and if people aren't actually looking to see him (as they would around RU) and/or don't know him well (as they might in and around Tontitown), he would not be noticed... One more bearded guy in overalls and a baseball cap is not going to draw stares in the South.:my_biggrin:

Jessa and Jill don't deserve to lose their shows because they were victims of their brother's molestation. They deserve to lose their shows because they got up on national television and not only defended his behavior toward them, but also excused his behavior toward the younger victims who could not (or were not allowed) to speak for themselves. THAT is the sin that is worthy of recrimination, one where these women used a national platform in order to downplay sexual abuse and the longterm effects that it can have on a family.

They also "deserve to lose their shows" ( or rather, didn't " deserve" shows in the first place) because they tend to have nothing to contribute to society except a bad example.  (Yes, this could be said of a lot of reality TV.).  Neither the Dillards nor the Seewalds are mature enough to start a family and showing them playing house and pretending that they are "ministering" to the world by indulging their own egos and grifting for gifts is fundamentally dishonest.

Most important of all, they need to grow up and TLC is enabling their refusal to confront reality in a way that will perpetuate the abuse begun by Michelle and JB.

I'm fairly ambivalent about John David, but I do think, out of all of the older kids, he's the one who's really made out like a bandit. Daddy buys him a plane, he gets to tool around all day on his own playing cop and towing cars, and I highly doubt he still lives in the TTH. Michelle has frequently gushed about what a "catch" he is, which convinces me that he's done nothing but tow the Duggar party line his entire life. And he has certainly inherited JB's monstrously lame sense of humor. There's an old episode where the J'slaves are redecorating JB and DQ's bathroom, and JD insists that they buy a ridiculously ugly disco light fixture just because it's so ugly. They all give him the exact same withering look everyone gives Jim-Bob when he makes a "joke." 

It occurred to me last night--insomnia--that almost 1/2 of the Duggar children have never experienced a television crew free life.

Jackson was born at the end of the first special, so that would make most of the howlers, really too young to recall what was a Duggar "normal life"-certainly, James and Justin who would have been 3 and 2 at the time.  And, of course, Johanna, Jenny, Jordyn and Josie were born into the clusterfuck on TLC.

Anyway, it made me wonder if MamaJana every tells them stories about life before TLC.  We hope that they'll escape, but do they even know what's out there?  Not just a Gothard free life, but a TLC free life, but a life with attentive parents, real jobs, options for schooling and exposure to different from themselves.  I also wonder how much influence the adult crew has on their lives.

Made me sad to think about it.

It occurred to me last night--insomnia--that almost 1/2 of the Duggar children have never experienced a television crew free life. <snip>

Anyway, it made me wonder if MamaJana every tells them stories about life before TLC.  We hope that they'll escape, but do they even know what's out there?  Not just a Gothard free life, but a TLC free life, but a life with attentive parents, real jobs, options for schooling and exposure to different from themselves.  I also wonder how much influence the adult crew has on their lives.

I don't see how Jana could tell them about "attentive parents, real jobs, options for schooling" etc. since she never knew this herself. But I am sure there are stories about the crowding and the car that broke down and so forth.  And

maybe she tells the shyer ones, the ones who want lives without cameras, that she doesn't like the cameras either but it is the cameras that brought the spacious house and the piano and nicer clothes and food into their lives.  

As for the TLC crew, I bet that some of the boys in particular may look up to them and feel that they represent something fascinating if forbidden. And maybe this will be the glimmer of "there is something else out there" that impels one of the Howlers out of the TTH nest/trap.

I'm not sure if she equates TLC with no attention from parents.  I think she might equate more kids = less attention.  

Honestly, if I were a Duggarling, I'd pick life AFTER TLC got involved.  A bigger house, trips, more money for Mama Carmen and Marketplace Grill vs just eating tatertot casserole.

TLC didn't make bad parents out of JB and Meechelle.  Those 2 were already neglecting and being overall lousy parents.  TLC just rewarded them for it.

I feel like trashing cars/hotel rooms at weddings is really old fashioned. My mother kept telling me how her friends put salt in their bed sheets as a joke, then got really offended when I refused to give her my hotel key so she could put gifts in our room. Ain't nobody got time for that. 

ETA: I made it to Level Eleventy!!1!!1!!11!!!! I've always wanted this rank. lol

I have always felt like JD was put up (by Josh or JB) to do the "oops, forgot the ring" at the wedding, and that the car trashing must be pretty standard in their world.  I must admit, though, that I really laughed over JD re-wiring the breaks to the horn. 

First post, yea!

I have always felt like JD was put up (by Josh or JB) to do the "oops, forgot the ring" at the wedding, and that the car trashing must be pretty standard in their world.  I must admit, though, that I really laughed over JD re-wiring the breaks to the horn.

Yeah, I got the sense that the car trashing was a normal thing in their area. Honestly, Amy seemed more into it than JD was, from what I remember of the episode.

All I can picture is Josh coming back with a ZZ Top beard a la Duck Dynasty.  The Bates seem like they're okay friends with them, Lawson posted something on twitter about one of the adopted son's birthday!

Lol - this gave me images of Josh with a man bun in full lumbersexual mode. Unfortunately, I can picture it rather well! :laughing-rollingyellow:

Creep.

IMG_2620.jpg

I tend to believe JD is a good guy. I don't think he makes for good tv, but I admire his work ethic and interests outside of the public eye. He may not be shy but prob a combination of quiet and private. I appreciate how he doesn't feel the need to update us all on social media (I'm positive if JD really wanted to, he'd have an Instagram/fb/whatever). 

New TLC show for the Duggars:  http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/tlc-presents/this-season-on-sex-in-public/

Yeah, the fence thing got on my nerves. But, you are correct. I had completely forgotten the bathroom cleaning. Or maybe I just refused to remember it as it was so gross. You are correct the fence thing is a small matter considering some of the other things Benjamin had to do. I am now off the fence. Thank you!

Psalm 127 in church yesterday was the infamous "quiverfull" one.  I snickered.  After church, the priest commented that America is not a Christian country except for fundamentalists.  It was never meant to be a Christian country, and hopefully never would be.  Thought that was amazing.  Glad I belong to a church that has male and female priests, doesn't care if you're gay or straight, and will marry you regardless. 

This always struck my funny bone from Robin Williams if anyone's interested.

http://www.saint-augustine.org/_sep02/ef0902b.htm

Random Duggar thing:

So I'm watching the Bob Ross marathon on Twitch.tv and there's a super active chat room on the side of it.  He started painting some "happy little bushes" and someone in the chat room yelled NIKE!

I died.

Psalm 127 in church yesterday was the infamous "quiverfull" one.  I snickered.  After church, the priest commented that America is not a Christian country except for fundamentalists.  It was never meant to be a Christian country, and hopefully never would be.  Thought that was amazing.  Glad I belong to a church that has male and female priests, doesn't care if you're gay or straight, and will marry you regardless. 

This always struck my funny bone from Robin Williams if anyone's interested.

http://www.saint-augustine.org/_sep02/ef0902b.htm

Fellow Episcopalian here.  I noticed the quiverful psalm also and that made me think of FJ during the sermon.  Luckily there was general confession afterwards.   ;)

As a former Catholic, I really appreciate that we can go to communion without guilt.

Thanks for the link to the Robin Williams thing.  I'd heard/seen him do it but had not seen it in writing before.  Too funny, especially if you imagine him saying it.

Random Duggar thing:

So I'm watching the Bob Ross marathon on Twitch.tv and there's a super active chat room on the side of it.  He started painting some "happy little bushes" and someone in the chat room yelled NIKE!

I died.

Oh my gosh - I love Bob Ross, and this comment made my evening!!  LOL!

What happened to the thread saying Jessa's spawn would be named James Benjamin. 9 months & 4 days & that was the most imaginative name they could come up with? Jessa's FB said they hadn't got a name yet so maybe it was false report.

Spin

But noone would think that disturbing a *wedding* in that way would even be an option. And I am a high school teacher, so I know a lot of teenagers. :my_biggrin:

So this incident, IMO, can't be blamed on immaturity. It shows his character.

I agree, particularly when (i think JD?) commented in one car trashing scene (maybe Erins) "oh we're putting sardines and moth balls in the car because she might want to keep her dress"... that seems bordering on cruel, not just a harmless prank. Sorry i can't remember names, its nearly midnight here in Sydney and i should go to sleep!

Random Duggar thing:

I died.

That is hilarious - you just know that person is one of us! Has to be.

I agree, particularly when (i think JD?) commented in one car trashing scene (maybe Erins) "oh we're putting sardines and moth balls in the car because she might want to keep her dress"... that seems bordering on cruel, not just a harmless prank. Sorry i can't remember names, its nearly midnight here in Sydney and i should go to sleep!

Yes, it was Erin's. They also expressed annoyance that they weren't allowed to mess with the internal workings of the car because Chad was driving a rental. Maybe it's me, but I wouldn't do anything to trash a rental car. 

In Josh's car, they reconfigured the wiring so that the horn honked every time he stepped on the breaks.  I haven't been to any weddings where the "getaway car" was trashed--mainly because most of the weddings I've been to had the ceremony, reception, and bridal hotel room in the same venue, so there was nothing to "getaway" from.  In general, I hate wedding traditions that resemble hazing.

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived