IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

Bates/Hartono courtship? Let the speculation commence! 

Must be Josie since she's standing right next to him.:my_smile:  If she wasn't only 16 that picture could start some serious speculation. Never realized how tall Jason is.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PCC is crazy. I think the Bates girls are better off staying at home and going to Clown College. At least they'll be allowed to use the same staircase as the boys.

This thread has told me more about PCC than I ever realised - obviously I knew it was fundie but jeez, those rules...

i truly cannot imagine being a young adult and living in a regime like that.   I shouldn't be surprised - I've been snarking here for long enough! - but it's actually really gotten to me!! :pensive:

Off now to find out more!,

This thread has told me more about PCC than I ever realised - obviously I knew it was fundie but jeez, those rules...

i truly cannot imagine being a young adult and living in a regime like that.   I shouldn't be surprised - I've been snarking here for long enough! - but it's actually really gotten to me!! :pensive:

Off now to find out more!,

If you haven't read it yet, this thread is really informative: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/23022-cracked-tackles-pensacola-christian-college-merge/#comment-909352

The Bates family are really easing up on the modesty standards since Alyssa started with the jeans.  Every single girl is wearing a knee length skirt (at a length which will show the full knee when sitting) and Carlin's is above the knee.  Plus with Kelly in the picture, they have parental approval (or knowledge).

Is the start of a gradual loosening of rules in that house?  Or just more marketing for being normal for UP?

The Bates family are really easing up on the modesty standards since Alyssa started with the jeans.  Every single girl is wearing a knee length skirt (at a length which will show the full knee when sitting) and Carlin's is above the knee.  Plus with Kelly in the picture, they have parental approval (or knowledge).

Is the start of a gradual loosening of rules in that house?  Or just more marketing for being normal for UP?

The mom's skirt is pretty short too so I guess that it is a change of the whole family. I don't think that just change to look normal but that this is a normal evolvement of a big family whose children are getting older. Even if they believe that parents have final say, I assume that at least once in a while a child says something that sounds reasonable and some small or big change will happen.

They might be doing it as marketing, after seeing how everyone reacted to Alyssa in pants. And since they obviously are "skirts only", this was the next best thing.

Nice to see a close up of the top of Michaela's dress - another abomination.

Another new trailer for the 3rd Season of Bringing Up Bates.

Nothing really interesting, but loved Gil saying Son of America.

OK...I needed some replacement swear words.  My kids say "Barnacles" a la Spongebob.  Must add "Son of America" to my list.... and oh my stinkin' cow.  LOL

Pcc is horrible.  It's just like Gothard,  but at least it's something.  The stories from former students are sad. I read about a girl who was raped, tied down and duct taped, a security officer found her and these fools have the nerve to blame her.  Apparently she wasn't being godly or modest enough and that caused the guy who raped her to lust after her. 

And can you believe these fools think kids can get real jobs?

Dear god, that's awful. But I'm not at all surprised.

And what I don't get is why they act like they're preparing their graduates for careers and to be functioning adult Christians who can start families and spread the word of God while working as nurses, teachers, pastors, et cetera, yet can't trust them to work an off-campus job, manage their time independently, have relationships that don't overstep boundaries set by their faith, maintain their faith despite or because of their taste in media, or go to the fucking store by themselves.

But that's part of the same mentality along with victim-blaming girls for their sexual assaults: control. If someone believes that they need all these rules to survive, and that something is intrinsically "wrong" with them if something bad happens to them despite doing everything "right", you can make them do all kinds of things.

Bates/Hartono courtship? Let the speculation commence! 

I think it is more like that we will see the "17 year old Carlin is thinking about attending PCC next year" plotline in the coming tv season.  Just like the Duggars did with Joseph touring College of the Ozarks--but the footage never got aired because of the series cancellation, right?

Woah. Michaela looks a bit like Sierra Dominguez in that still from the video. Anyone else think so, or is it me going mad??

I like how un-Bates-like Carlin is dressing. The short skirt in the group photo, and the v-neck pink top with Alyssa and John. I think she'll dress even less "modestly" than Alyssa once she's out of the house. I can see her eventually choosing to wear shorts.

My first thought besides "dang, Jonathan is basically making his own fundie version of The Bachelor with Bates and Duggar girls" was "just a couple more years until Carlin pulls an Alyssa".

Which theme? ;-)  You wont convince me that this is a cohesive header, it's a mess and it makes me laugh. 

Season 2 makes so much more sense.  I don't know why I thought it was season 3, probably because we haven't seen that one yet.  It still seems odd that Alyssa was left out, I don't buy that it was because she was in Florida. But she was on the show plenty last season.  *shrug*  

Judging by the advanced stage of Erin's pregnancy in that picture, I'm guessing it was taken right around Alyssa's due date. Allie Jane was born a month before Carson.

I kind of feel like "Son of America" and "Oh My stinking cow" were not things they naturally said but things they decided(or were told by producers) to say to help with their image of a normal American family that totally isn't all weird and cultish like the Duggars. These aren't phrases they typically have been shown to say before and it just all fits a bit too smoothly for the trailer. Gil and Kelly are a wily couple who knows exactly how to present their family so that people don't notice the dark side of their life. That is why they worked so well with Bill Gothard. 

My son is 23 and pretty much knows everything. He is much more obnoxious than he was in high school. He did graduate from a fairly prominent southern University and he was in a fraternity (never allowed to call them frats....). Excessive douchebaggery. I love him. He's just not terribly "likeable" these days. 

You and I are in the same boat.  I soooooo feel for you.

my friend's three year old said "jiminy cripes" the other day when we were playing a game. I nearly wet myself. Love "son of America" :D

I can't believe it's that long until another season ( and then some more weeks until we poor Europeans can stream it...)

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived