IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

Replacement cursing in my family includes, "Oh Shaw!"  & "Rascal Flatts"... 

My parents never used minced oaths. They just told me and my sister when we were little that those words were "grownup words" that we weren't allowed to say. When my mom took me (5 at the time) and my sister (2 at the time) to see a showing of My Fair Lady at a movie theater that occasionally screened classic movies and Henry Higgins starts singing "damn, damn, damn", my sister yelled out "Mommy, he's talking like a grownup!"

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from New England, and I swear like a sailor. I've never met an outburst that couldn't be improved by the word fuck thrown in, in various forms. My parents didn't care what we said at home, but gods help us if we swore in school. The one word that was prohibited at home was "suck." Because my Mom HATES it. My kids have no forbidden words, but know that what you say at home isn't always OK to say at school.

I kind of feel like "Son of America" and "Oh My stinking cow" were not things they naturally said but things they decided(or were told by producers) to say to help with their image of a normal American family that totally isn't all weird and cultish like the Duggars. These aren't phrases they typically have been shown to say before and it just all fits a bit too smoothly for the trailer. Gil and Kelly are a wily couple who knows exactly how to present their family so that people don't notice the dark side of their life. That is why they worked so well with Bill Gothard. 

Yup. Gotta show the image of a big, fun loving southern family. 

I try not to swear much only because I don't want it to become a habit and accidentally swear somewhere where it would be disrespectful. I have no problem with curse words though and my son will tell you I swear the most when I'm driving. He knows that those are adult words though and I've never had a problem with him swearing.

I don't like replacement curse words because I find them funny. Some of my faves are: "son of a biscuit!", "cheeseless crust!", "oh shishkabob!", "fudgesicles!" and "mother of Pearl!". They give my kid a good laugh also.

I try not to swear much only because I don't want it to become a habit and accidentally swear somewhere where it would be disrespectful. I have no problem with curse words though and my son will tell you I swear the most when I'm driving. He knows that those are adult words though and I've never had a problem with him swearing.

I don't like replacement curse words because I find them funny. Some of my faves are: "son of a biscuit!", "cheeseless crust!", "oh shishkabob!", "fudgesicles!" and "mother of Pearl!". They give my kid a good laugh also.

Being called "mother of Michael Pearl" might actually be the most offensive thing I have ever heard. :my_sick:

We never swore much in our family and didn't use replacement words if it happened, but for some reason when I was about 3 I got hooked on using the phrase "mashed potatoes" whenever something didn't go the way i wanted it to. The things kids will come up with.

Being called "mother of Michael Pearl" might actually be the most offensive thing I have ever heard. :my_sick:

I can't tell if you're joking or not...

I once got a very stern "THIS is a BAD word and WE do NOT say it" from my 3year old niece (because I said a swear word). Holy cow, this kid even likes cleaning, this cannot be normal! :my_cool:

And yes, 20-somethings are more annoying than "real" teenagers because they know just everything.

And yes, 20-somethings are more annoying than "real" teenagers because they know just everything.

I think that is a very broad generalization and it is really a bit disregarding/ comes off condescending.

I'd agree though, that some young men who've not gone through the macho/poser phase in their teens, are incredibly attention-seeking, grating and desperate for sexual affirmation in their early 20's. Same goes for some early 20's women; who've not yet developed any sense of compassion and humbleness, added to the snotty arrogance that they're sporting since their teens. 

That means: SOME, a FEW. And guess what, there's ignorant and annoying idiots in every single age group I can think of. 

I once got a very stern "THIS is a BAD word and WE do NOT say it" from my 3year old niece (because I said a swear word). Holy cow, this kid even likes cleaning, this cannot be normal! :my_cool:

This really is normal.  Kids love to clean and help out when they're small to show how capable they are.  It's when they get a little older that you can't get them to pick up in even their own room. :)

"Son of a bee sting" is one of my favorite curse substitutes.  I grew up hearing people say, "Welllll, I swan!"  LOL!  I think that's supposed to mean "I swear," but the Bible says not to give an oath and swearing would be that, I guess, in the minds of those who choose, instead, to "swan."

When I taught kindergarten, a boy came to my desk to tattle on his table mate who said the "SH" word.  In astonishment, I looked at the accused and informed him that we did NOT use that word.  He felt shamed.  Some months later, I learned from his mother that "shut up" is the forbidden "SH" word.

I say "sugar buns" and "fartknocker" when I feel like cussing and I can't. (My knowledge of the word fartknocker comes from this video by Tim Hawkins, a Christian comedian, but I'm sure it was in existence long before that).

I grew up hearing Christ Almighty as a curse phrase so naturally picked it up. Now I say Chrimanelly. Not sure how I came up with it but it makes me feel better! 

'Flip' is my favorite substitute curse word because you can hit the 'p' in such a satisfying way.

Shucks is always a good one. My mom says it is a combination of her two favorite swear words and is therefore killing two birds with one stone. 

I say "sugar buns" and "fartknocker" when I feel like cussing and I can't. (My knowledge of the word fartknocker comes from this video by Tim Hawkins, a Christian comedian, but I'm sure it was in existence long before that).

TIm Hawkins is my favorite comedian.

I'm a scifi nerd who uses "frak" and "frell." I also tend to say "son of a gun" and "darn" in more polite company, i.e., my job. Although, I might use some stronger words under my breath in trying situations!

My grandma (from Mississippi) and dad (from rural NC) both say "Dad-gommit" instead of God-dammit. It sounds pretty funny because I have never heard anyone else say that version. I do like " mother of pearl" because it reminds me of cartoons I watched growing up :pb_lol:  

Usually I just swear, but I try to limit it because I have recently started to use curse words where they really aren't necessary to enhance what I am trying to get across. 

my friend's three year old said "jiminy cripes" the other day when we were playing a game. I nearly wet myself. Love "son of America" :D

I can't believe it's that long until another season ( and then some more weeks until we poor Europeans can stream it...)

My mom usually would say "Sht" when she wanted to swear and my sister picked that up especially after she had kids.  Well, when her oldest was around three, he wad picked Sht from my sister except his drawl put the missing "i" back in.  

I say usually because once she said that her cats were the shittingest cats she'd ever seen.  Yep, she was cleaning the cat box.

ETA:  My favorite use of "I swan" or variation is from Steel Magnolias.  Claire says to Truvy when Drum is firing his rifle to scare the birds away from Shelby's reception, "I swannie!  I don't know how M'Lynn puts up with that!"

I think that is a very broad generalization and it is really a bit disregarding/ comes off condescending.

I'd agree though, that some young men who've not gone through the macho/poser phase in their teens, are incredibly attention-seeking, grating and desperate for sexual affirmation in their early 20's. Same goes for some early 20's women; who've not yet developed any sense of compassion and humbleness, added to the snotty arrogance that they're sporting since their teens. 

That means: SOME, a FEW. And guess what, there's ignorant and annoying idiots in every single age group I can think of. 

Pretzel, I have three stepchildren and a lot of younger friends and I like them all. Most of them went through this phase (me included, I don´t know how my Mum survived this years!) and I was joking about it.

Driving is my downfall when it comes to limiting my sailor-mouth levels of swearing. One of my finest hours in high school was when we had just wrapped up opening night of the spring musical my senior year, and everyone was piling into cars to go to the 24-hour diner to celebrate. One freshman girl ended up in my car. Now, this girl was very, very sheltered. She had never been out without her parents past school hours. Among other things. I reassured her about being out so late, and we set out. We end up behind the Slowest Driver In The Universe who has had his left turn signal on since at least the fall of the Berlin Wall. We're stuck behind him for about 3/4ths of the drive. We're also dealing with other semi-competent teenage drivers in our cohort sharing the road with us. In that 10-minute drive, that sheltered freshman girl learned at least 15 new, innovative combinations of obscenities.

I hadn't read this thread for a while now, and i don't really know what has happened to make everyone talk about swears, but i would like to share that i am spanish, and i swear A LOT. Since i was 11 (that happened like a clock, i don't know why). Our swear vocabulary is glorious. And i am talking only in spain, if you go to other countries, there are different swears, is amazing. There's even a song for all of the words we use for the penis. But when i was a little kid i knew there was certain words that didn't sounded well when said by a little kid. But now, fuck it :pb_lol:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived