IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 4

Coconut Flan

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing these things whether under financial or religious motive, is still more than the Duggar kids have ever done, or are allowed to do.

Didn't Michael say that she went to a local community college on an episode of BUB?

Pretty sure she studied early childhood. I could see her wanting to be a teacher, but since that isn't an option, studying this instead since it could be justified as helping her to become a better mother plus she could start an in home daycare. 

Didn't Michael say that she went to a local community college on an episode of BUB?

Yes, and her graduation was never announced. I'm guessing she didn't finish. I even did some media searching for her name + nearest community college (Pellissippi State, I think)

Scholarship towards tuition is not necessarily a "full ride."  They can set the scholarship at any value they choose.  When tuition is waived, they plainly tell you so.  Also a full ride would include room and board and a stipend for books and fees. 

Yes, and her graduation was never announced. I'm guessing she didn't finish. I even did some media searching for her name + nearest community college (Pellissippi State, I think)

I could definitely be wrong on this, however, from the way Michael (and Zach I believe as well) described it, I was under the impression that the classes Michael took at a community college were to become an EMT.  So I don't think she was taking classes in an effort to get an AA or even to just take classes, I think she took courses in order to meet the EMT requirements.

Also, they may not have been true CC courses.  Where I live, there are "classes" that are taught at the local CCs that are not really CC courses.  Things like First Aid, First Responder, CPR trainings etc done by local fire and police departments that use the community college facilities but are not credited classes.  They way the Bates have spoken about her time there, I don't think that the possibility of these classes being non-credit classes (though potentially towards some sort of certification) is ruled out.  

I could definitely be wrong on this, however, from the way Michael (and Zach I believe as well) described it, I was under the impression that the classes Michael took at a community college were to become an EMT.  So I don't think she was taking classes in an effort to get an AA or even to just take classes, I think she took courses in order to meet the EMT requirements.

Also, they may not have been true CC courses.  Where I live, there are "classes" that are taught at the local CCs that are not really CC courses.  Things like First Aid, First Responder, CPR trainings etc done by local fire and police departments that use the community college facilities but are not credited classes.  They way the Bates have spoken about her time there, I don't think that the possibility of these classes being non-credit classes (though potentially towards some sort of certification) is ruled out.  

This makes more sense.  I've been trying to figure out why she would need to go to a community college as opposed to Crown.  It wouldn't be for education, Crown covers that pretty well.  So EMT makes the most logical sense.  I don't think Crown has anything similar.  

bummer! The Festival of Praise is coming to my area soon. I was hoping Erin or Lawson was playing at the festival. But nope- these people seem have actual recording contracts, I had no idea there was such a tour and had no idea what type of Christian music would be sang.  I also shouldn't be worried about any Rodrigues sightings either, they won't be able to waltz into this event and sing for their supper.  :D

http://www.festivalofpraisetour.com/

I did, too.  I think I remember Kelly talking about Michael and community college during an UP episode. 

I have been searching to see where I came up with that idea and I think it comes from a video where she talks about how she loves children and being a nanny and in her spare time she is trying to finish a degree at a community college. She never says what she is studying though and some people speculated that it was early childhood. I can't find anywhere where it is actually stated what she studied at the community college. 

I have been searching to see where I came up with that idea and I think it comes from a video where she talks about how she loves children and being a nanny and in her spare time she is trying to finish a degree at a community college. She never says what she is studying though and some people speculated that it was early childhood. I can't find anywhere where it is actually stated what she studied at the community college. 

I remember this too. I think it was in a written profile of all the kids? We were discussing which community college it could be. I don't think she specified a major, but we assumed early childhood? It was pretty clear that it wasn't Crown College. 

I remember this too. I think it was in a written profile of all the kids? We were discussing which community college it could be. I don't think she specified a major, but we assumed early childhood? It was pretty clear that it wasn't Crown College. 

Is that what Kelly has a degree in?  Maybe that's why there's confusion.

So, in one of the photos on Instagram, Chad and Erin had Carson dressed up in some Penn State gear! Anyone know the connection?

Maybe there's some hope that he'll get to go to my alma mater!  :pb_biggrin: 

My ex fiancee got a 1/2 tuition scholarship to a private university cause he played tuba and he turned it down.  He would have been able to commute from where we lived every day and study anything he wanted, as long as he participated in the orchestra.  He's not a dumb guy, he just felt that college wasn't going to help him in life.  I tried my hardest to talk him into taking the scholarship, but his family circumstances won.  I wonder if Erin decided along the same lines, that she was more needed at home than going away to school, even though she does have a talent for music. Maybe that is why she picked Crown College instead of UofT  

My ex fiancee got a 1/2 tuition scholarship to a private university cause he played tuba and he turned it down.  He would have been able to commute from where we lived every day and study anything he wanted, as long as he participated in the orchestra.  He's not a dumb guy, he just felt that college wasn't going to help him in life.  I tried my hardest to talk him into taking the scholarship, but his family circumstances won.  I wonder if Erin decided along the same lines, that she was more needed at home than going away to school, even though she does have a talent for music. Maybe that is why she picked Crown College instead of UofT  

She said that she  turned it down because she might have to sit next to weird people who had green hair. There is a video of it somewhere. I always got the impression that Gil and Kelly made her feel like taking the scholarship and going to that college would have been a horrible sin that would have ruined her life. 

She said that she  turned it down because she might have to sit next to weird people who had green hair. There is a video of it somewhere. I always got the impression that Gil and Kelly made her feel like taking the scholarship and going to that college would have been a horrible sin that would have ruined her life. 

What about purple-haired people? Is she OK with purple-haired people?

Scholarship towards tuition is not necessarily a "full ride."  They can set the scholarship at any value they choose.  When tuition is waived, they plainly tell you so.  Also a full ride would include room and board and a stipend for books and fees. 

I think my daughter got a full tuition scholarship to the University of Memphis School of Music.  I think this was a program of the State of Tennessee and not just the school of music.  I do know it didn't cover everything and that her high ACT scores helped her get it.  It also helped that her viola teacher at SC's Governor's School for the Arts really wanted her to continue her studies under him at Memphis.

Several Southern states started programs where'd they'd pay the tuition at state schools for students that score high enough on the SAT and/or ACT to help stop the bleeding of gifted students to the Ivy League.

If it was early childhood education that she would study, what they learn in those courses would likely go strongly go against their beliefs. One of the first things you learn in early childhood education is never hit/spank children. I'm sure my community college was more liberal than whichever one they have in their area because I grew up in a more urban area, but we also learned about the importance of accepting same sex families and families of different faiths to help all children feel included. So it's likely the Bates wouldn't let their daughters study that.

I think my daughter got a full tuition scholarship to the University of Memphis School of Music.  I think this was a program of the State of Tennessee and not just the school of music.  I do know it didn't cover everything and that her high ACT scores helped her get it.  It also helped that her viola teacher at SC's Governor's School for the Arts really wanted her to continue her studies under him at Memphis.

Several Southern states started programs where'd they'd pay the tuition at state schools for students that score high enough on the SAT and/or ACT to help stop the bleeding of gifted students to the Ivy League.

I'd heard that University of Alabama does that. Source: friend of mine from college is from Alabama, scored very well on his standardized tests and had good grades, got offered to go to University of Alabama for free, but in his words "would rather make a sex tape with Dick Cheney" than spend another four years in Alabama.

If it was early childhood education that she would study, what they learn in those courses would likely go strongly go against their beliefs. One of the first things you learn in early childhood education is never hit/spank children. I'm sure my community college was more liberal than whichever one they have in their area because I grew up in a more urban area, but we also learned about the importance of accepting same sex families and families of different faiths to help all children feel included. So it's likely the Bates wouldn't let their daughters study that.

Hmm, that is interesting. I've always thought of early childhood education as one of the more fundie acceptable liberal arts majors, but you make good points. Though your points also make me hope Michael DID take classes in the subject, since she plans on having a whole litter. 

And I couldn't find any solid information about her majoring in early childhood education, but here's the thread in which we first discuss Michael going to community college. Apparently she and her parents mentioned it on the show. They referred to it as "a community college near here" while they specifically referred to Crown College as "Crown College" when Erin, Tori, and Zach were going there. (See Heretic Hick's post about 2/3 down the page). Hence, some of us believed it was an actual (secular) community college.

http://www.freejinger.org/topic/22118-bringing-up-bates/?page=8#comment-848666

Hmm, that is interesting. I've always thought of early childhood education as one of the more fundie acceptable liberal arts majors, but you make good points. Though your points also make me hope Michael DID take classes in the subject, since she plans on having a whole litter. 

And I couldn't find any solid information about her majoring in early childhood education, but here's the thread in which we first discuss Michael going to community college. Apparently she and her parents mentioned it on the show. They referred to it as "a community college near here" while they specifically referred to Crown College as "Crown College" when Erin, Tori, and Zach were going there. (See Heretic Hick's post about 2/3 down the page). Hence, some of us believed it was an actual (secular) community college.

http://www.freejinger.org/topic/22118-bringing-up-bates/?page=8#comment-848666

Zach??? Didn't know that! i thought he went to Police Academy. I don't see Michaela doing early childhood education unless she took a couple of classes and drop out... Cause, I majored on that at first then switched to Elementary and History but YOU HAVE TO take classes on Developmental Psychology, Child Development, Philosophical aspects of education, cognitive and social aspects of human development...and more, I don't see Michaela taking classes where you have to study Evolution, Psychology, Science, Philosophy... Freud, Piaget, Constructivism... Hell, just picturing Michaela hearing about kids taking pleasure when they poop:pb_lol: that's an interesting image!

Zach went to Crown College? I know he studied History, but for some reason I thought it was an online program.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived